Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Cromlech posted:

I know, I meant more of like "a beer with cherries in it thats worth a drat". I might pick it up and justify it by saying its my Halloween candy or something.

Seems like Nancy got appreciable distribution to wherever Allagash sends stuff too, so if I found it here I could imagine its not that hard. What are the mediocre Allagash sours? I don't know if Interlude is considered a sour to some but it seems super dope.

"cases" of Nancy are six bottles and even our Whole Foods, which is the first or second area account in terms of craft beers sales, only got two. as for their "mediocre" wild/sour beers, the only ones i didn't think were at least "really loving good" were Golden Brett, Neddles, and Midnight Brett, but they were by no means not good. Tiarna, FV 13, Broken Elevator and Merveilleaux are all top-notch and the only bad thing i could possibly say is that they're not as good as the coolship stuff (which is brewery-only), but not many American beers are.

VVV i wouldn't classify any of those as sour, though

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Then I suppose the mediocre stuff would be the big bottles? Interlude, Curieux, Victoria etc?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Then I suppose the mediocre stuff would be the big bottles? Interlude, Curieux, Victoria etc?

I was referring to Tiarna, Midnight Brett, and Merveilleaux. None were bad but none were close to being worth the cost.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Ghoulschip loving owns, as does Coolship Red and Resurgam. Haven't got the chance to try too much else. The line for Ghoulschip when it was released this last weekend was ridiculous.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I think I agree with Crazyfish RE Nancy - It's good but for the price / effort there are at least one or two other things on the shelve that are close enough.

And as others have said, Allagash's 12.7oz corked bottles tend to be really mediocre, especially for the price.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Compusaurus posted:

I think I agree with Crazyfish RE Nancy - It's good but for the price / effort there are at least one or two other things on the shelve that are close enough.

And as others have said, Allagash's 12.7oz corked bottles tend to be really mediocre, especially for the price.

disagreeing with you so hard right now (unless you live in, like, Portland, OR)

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

I'm going to go buy a few more Nancys and film myself dumping them on the curb while playing America the Beautiful in the background.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Compusaurus posted:

I'm going to go buy a few more Nancys and film myself dumping them on the curb while playing America the Beautiful in the background.

i think the joke would be on you, what with their high cost and all

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Outside of the outright bad Tangent, I'd take any of the Two Brothers' wild ales as equivalent to most of the distro'd Allagash wilds I've had (FV13 excluded). They're also 2/3 the price, local, and are readily available for a while after release. Then there's the fact that the Allagash price point puts them as much or more than actual Belgian lambics. I'm picking Tilquin- which isn't incredibly difficult to find when it's out- at a lower price every time.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

air- posted:

I didn't care for Victoria/Victor, but Interlude was one of the first sours that I fell in love with and Curieux is a pretty darn good beer imo. I think the bourbon barrel aging complements the base beer very nicely. I wouldn't call them a great value, but I certainly wouldn't call them mediocre.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Interlude is great, and Curieux is very good albeit a tripel is not the kind of beer I think of when I think of a beer I'd want to throw in a bourbon barrel. Most of their other large distro bottles I tend to stick to draft pours instead (Confluence, Victor, etc.) but I don't think any of them are bad.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
I don't think I've had anything from Allagash that has ever blown me away. They are a brewery I just don't particularly care for.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I totally understand the lambic argument and honestly, given the option I'd also take Tilquin. But I thought Nancy was up there with Casey Cherry Fruitstand and Jester King MvB, and it's more that I'm having a tough time coming up with another fruit accurate cherry sour (and certainly nothing from NG) that's both comparable and available, and that's what I found remarkable. It definitely doesn't exist in my distro area so that's mostly why I'm impressed, either that or the fact they pulled out of TX left such a huge hole.

e: I'm bringing this to Chicago
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-colour-five

air- fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 28, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Paging HatfulofHollow

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Compusaurus posted:

I don't think I've had anything from Allagash that has ever blown me away. They are a brewery I just don't particularly care for.

If you know someone stopping there on their way to Maine by means of driving I suggest getting someone to pick up their "House Beer" for you. It's basically a 4% tripel. I love it so much.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Try anything from the Coolship series and you will change your mind. Coolship Red is up there with the best of the fruited lambics.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

a worthy uhh posted:

Paging HatfulofHollow

I need this. I need this bad.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Outside of the outright bad Tangent, I'd take any of the Two Brothers' wild ales as equivalent to most of the distro'd Allagash wilds I've had (FV13 excluded). They're also 2/3 the price, local, and are readily available for a while after release. Then there's the fact that the Allagash price point puts them as much or more than actual Belgian lambics. I'm picking Tilquin- which isn't incredibly difficult to find when it's out- at a lower price every time.

that's why i used Portland, OR as an example- good sour beers show up in my distribution from the Bruery, New Belgium, Goose Island, Avery, Boulevard, and Cisco, but not many of them are as good- much less better than- what Allagash makes, and some of them are more expensive. Tilquin, when it does show up here, is not cheaper than Allagash. obviously there are places that have better luck in this regard.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

air- posted:

I totally understand the lambic argument and honestly, given the option I'd also take Tilquin. But I thought Nancy was up there with Casey Cherry Fruitstand and Jester King MvB, and it's more that I'm having a tough time coming up with another fruit accurate cherry sour (and certainly nothing from NG) that's both comparable and available, and that's what I found remarkable. It definitely doesn't exist in my distro area so that's mostly why I'm impressed, either that or the fact they pulled out of TX left such a huge hole.

e: I'm bringing this to Chicago
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-colour-five

Dang it air~, I keep waiting for you to come out to SoCal so you can bring something awesome and I'll have an excuse to break out the Lily.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Allagash owns but they are expensive as poo poo. The only bottles that are worth the money are the coolships and the aforementioned house beer.

Everything else is strictly draft for me

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Dang it air~, I keep waiting for you to come out to SoCal so you can bring something awesome and I'll have an excuse to break out the Lily.

FFFFF well crap, I'm gonna try and fit a SD trip real soon while I'm on my massive bender in that case.

e: Oh poo poo. Funkwerks is coming to Texas.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 28, 2014

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Funkwerks is coming to Texas

Aw screw you

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
FYI Chicagoons: Darkness looks to be hitting today. My local Binny's just tweeted it.

Vertigo, I know you were looking for these so depending on how available they may be, you've probably got a few trade partners willing to deal.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

cryme posted:

Allagash owns but they are expensive as poo poo. The only bottles that are worth the money are the coolships and the aforementioned house beer.

Everything else is strictly draft for me

Yeah, I haven't had any of the big bottle beers except Hugh Malone. While that was great, it sure as poo poo wasn't worth 25 dollars. So I'm trying to wait to try them all on draft because everything else I've had by them was very pleasant. House beer seems like a hell of a treat though, it'd be cool to get a bunch of them.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Some of their 750s have been downright amazing. I think Fluxus(?) one year had yams and peppercorn and I wish I'd bought more.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The yam/peppercorn Fluxus was loving outstanding. Last year's (or at least the last year I've had) was blood orange and I was disappointed in it. They vary a lot, but in general I buy whatever Allagash I can on the assumption it will at least be interesting. Curieaux is one of my favorites and I'll almost always pick one up if I stumble on it in California.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I forgot about some Sly Fox Royal Weisse that I had in my fridge. It's still drinking pretty darn good and made for an excellent day off breakfast with eggs beer.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

bartolimu posted:

The yam/peppercorn Fluxus was loving outstanding. Last year's (or at least the last year I've had) was blood orange and I was disappointed in it. They vary a lot, but in general I buy whatever Allagash I can on the assumption it will at least be interesting. Curieaux is one of my favorites and I'll almost always pick one up if I stumble on it in California.

Curieux is excellent, too, but I'm spoiled because one of my local bars has it on tap in perpetuity. It's better in the bottle imo, but generally we don't lack for Allagash bottles here either.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I know it's the least exciting thing they make, but I just want to throw some love toward Allagash White. It's one of the few witbiers I'll actually drink and an exceptional gateway beer for people who normally drink Blue Moon. Plus it's everywhere (41 of the 110 Philly Tap Finder bars currently have Allagash White on tap). Cheap, easy to find, and delicious.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I know it's the least exciting thing they make, but I just want to throw some love toward Allagash White. It's one of the few witbiers I'll actually drink and an exceptional gateway beer for people who normally drink Blue Moon. Plus it's everywhere (41 of the 110 Philly Tap Finder bars currently have Allagash White on tap). Cheap, easy to find, and delicious.

This is true. Allagash White is ubiquitous, solid, and it works really well as a gateway beer. I personally think St. Bernardus makes a better one, but good luck finding it on tap...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Decided to pull something from my cellar last night. I'm honestly not that keen on barleywines in general-that alcohol forwardness and generally sickly-sweet lingering aftertaste doesn't do it for me-but this has definitely held up and/or improved over the years. The bottle said it was 100 IBUs but I could taste none of them.

I wish Founders would put out their Backstage series beers in the 12oz format again, I can't imagine having to slog through a whole 750 of this.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
SoCal people (or anyone who doesn't want to miss out on an awesome event)...

AleSmith Speedway Grand Prix is set to be November 12/13/14, same format as last year. Not sure which day I'm going to be able to do yet, though if there's a consensus preference amongst those of you looking to attend I'll make arrangements to end up there on the most popular day.

Maybe this time we can actually find a decent place around here to do a bottleshare after the event instead of drinking like hobos in a business park.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wattershed posted:

SoCal people (or anyone who doesn't want to miss out on an awesome event)...

AleSmith Speedway Grand Prix is set to be November 12/13/14, same format as last year. Not sure which day I'm going to be able to do yet, though if there's a consensus preference amongst those of you looking to attend I'll make arrangements to end up there on the most popular day.

Maybe this time we can actually find a decent place around here to do a bottleshare after the event instead of drinking like hobos in a business park.

Not sure how long into the week I'll be staying this year, but I'll try to make the 12th. I hope they have the Lapsang souchong Speedway again.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Looks like you can now view the top BA-ranked beers by state of origin now, which makes for good Internet arguments if nothing else.

In the top 50 for Oregon the Abyss has both the #1 spot and the most votes overall which must be some kind of achievement. Cascade has 9 beers in the top 50 and de Garde and Deschutes are tied with 7.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Illinois has 4 that are not Goose Island, Half Acre, Revolution, or Pipeworks. 2 From Haymarket, one from off-color and one from Small Town Brewing called Not Your Dad's Root Beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sweet Repute is ranked 2 places higher than Centennial.

lol, no

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've only had 38/50 for PA.

Unsurprisingly, Tired Hands is 13 of the top 50.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Well of course Jester King has 21 of the Texas top 50, with them taking up 5 of the top 10.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Sweet Repute is ranked 2 places higher than Centennial.

lol, no

Founders. LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

MA is very predictably evenly split between Treehouse, Trillium, Wormtown, Jack's Abby, Pretty Things and Clownshoes with Ever Weiss honorable mention.