Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
poo poo pissing me off, network equipment that doesn't have a CLI. Just spent an hour trying to reconfigure a DSL modem over dial up, should have taken a few minutes at most to turn off NAT on the loving thing but the page would only partially render, of course part of what wouldn't render was the "apply" button so while I could make changes I couldn't save those changes.

On that note of DSL stuff that pisses me off. DSL field techs who don't follow loving instructions and call the gently caress in so we can make sure they configure their poo poo correctly in the first loving place, despite us insisting that their dispatchers put explicit instructions to call us before leaving the loving sites. It's a business and uses static IPs jack-rear end just because you can plug your loving laptop into it and surf does not mean you are done in fact it means you've hosed up.

I've found this to be universal across every ISP. Verizon, AT&T, Centurylink, Frontier you name it their field techs are lazy morons who can't read and follow basic instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It's a cargo cult mentality. My bosses think that if you just status the ticket every two days, a solution will magically appear.

I have a speech I give in interviews and the like where I describe how troubleshooting is a skill, above and beyond OS knowledge, certs, degrees, etc. It is amazing how you can take one person and give them a problem, and they are not interested in solving it. That type of person just wants to describe the effect of the issue, get upset, find someone to fix it, or just flat out ignore it. But they you have the fixers - you but something broken in front of them, and it is like an itch they have to scratch. They aren't satisfied until thinks are working, or at least worked around.

Sadly, a lot of the things that scripts and metric do encourage the first set of behaviors.

I'm a fixer. Give me a hoody, some noise canceling headphones, a datacenter with all the lights turned off and a crash cart and I can perform server necromancy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm a fixer. Give me a hoody, some noise canceling headphones, a datacenter with all the lights turned off and a crash cart and I can perform server necromancy.

I get the feeling that I am an Apex Soothsayer at times. People come to me with their obscure SFDC errors and I read the bones before returning to them with an answer. Now if only they would follow my wisdom but you can lead to horse to water and all that.

Back on topic of things that piss me off: Marketing Automation Tools. This includes things such as Eloqua, Marketto, Exact Target and Adobe Campaign. Marketing people froth at the mouth about all the "value" they add to their "strategy" and how they improve the quality of leads making it through the pipeline. I don't care they are all badly designed, buggy, poorly documented, over priced and obtuse pieces of crap that no Marketing person in existence can use without weeks of training and a constant back and forth of why it is so hard to use with the only answer being that it is a system for marketers with UI designed by developers. Even ones who have experience of one of the other tools.

Case in point being Adobe Campaign which was until last year a small French company called Neolane. Their product has had no major revisions for about 5 years, 5 years for something that is supposed to be the next wave of marketing bollocks. How? How does something go that long without any updates and still be relevant? On top of this the UI is a poo poo show of errors, badly translated dialogs and has a number of pieces of functionality that were never completed but will not fix unless you pay for it first. An example would be their WSDL plugin. If I want to pull data from an external data source using WSDL there is a little workflow plugin for it. However it doesn't work because it bugs out when trying to read the WDSL definition. So I ask for instructions on how to fix it and they dig their heels in and ask for $30k a year for the functionality before they will fix it. No poo poo heads this isn't Kickstarter you make your crap work then I will cut you a PO for it. This was before Adobe bought them but now it is more or less 50/50 wait for the next version (beta of which is 6 months late) and go eat a dick customer.

All of this hassle for something that at the highest level is basically an automated system to pick through poo poo to find diamonds for quarter of a mil per year. And breathe.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 28, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

dissss posted:

That's why we keep a stack of clunky old 8440p s around as loaners - they aren't worth anything and are great for threatening people with.

I thought you were talking about 8440p screens for a minute

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Give me your your verbose logs and I shall medidate upon them and return to you in the morning and inform you of problems you didn't even know you had.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Farecoal posted:

I thought you were talking about 8440p screens for a minute

I'll take a few loaners!

Caconym posted:

Give me your your verbose logs and I shall medidate upon them and return to you in the morning and inform you of problems you didn't even know you had.
I hate when I have to read the logs carefully and discover a host of problems I thought i was too good to run into. :sigh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Skex posted:

On that note of DSL stuff that pisses me off. DSL field techs who don't follow loving instructions and call the gently caress in so we can make sure they configure their poo poo correctly in the first loving place, despite us insisting that their dispatchers put explicit instructions to call us before leaving the loving sites. It's a business and uses static IPs jack-rear end just because you can plug your loving laptop into it and surf does not mean you are done in fact it means you've hosed up.

I've found this to be universal across every ISP. Verizon, AT&T, Centurylink, Frontier you name it their field techs are lazy morons who can't read and follow basic instructions.

This poo poo applies to ISPs of every stripe, not just DSL. Motherfucker there is a Sonicwall right there, and I told the operator over the phone that the unit should be setup strictly as a modem with no routing whatsoever. Why is it handing out DHCP now?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Related to being fixers, server necromancers, and the like: I hate when my colleagues spend three weeks banging their heads off complex fixes when they've buggered up the root cause.

"This user's home directory won't map. She's been with us for thirty years, we can't just scrap her profile and try again. We tried mapping and remapping and re-setting AD permissions and nothing changed. It might be a permissions problem on the samba server doing the exporting, or is it the windows client and do they have something weird set up in a part of the AD that we don't have access to? Is it a weird roaming profile thing? We'll have to try all of them. We'll do the Linux/Samba side first because most of us are Linux geeks but half of them do nothing and the other half break more things. It's been two weeks and nothing fixes it. DigitalRaven, could you check the Windows side of things to make sure we didn't miss anything?"

"Her home directory won't map because some stupid bastard set up a printer queue on the same server with the same name as her home directory. Rename the queue and bring me the fingers of whoever set it up."

Ask "why" before you ask "how".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If anyone is using a Samsung 840 EVO SSD in their machines, and haven't run the performance restoration tool yet, I can highly recommend doing it. It can be downloaded here: https://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

The backstory is that as data gets older, read speeds drop due to some kind of drift. A firmware update fixes this, but you also need to rewrite all the data on the disk for it to have an effect on already existing data. For NTFS-formatted disks running Windows, there's a GUI tool, but for those of us running Linux or OS X (or *BSD or Hurd or Plan9/Inferno or whatever), Samsung supplies a DOS boot disk with a version of the tool.

Unfortunately, that boot disk is a piece of poo poo, or at least it refused to run on my PC. For anyone facing the same problem, the solution is to create a proper working DOS boot disk and put the tools from the Samsung-supplied .zip file on that. I used Rufus in Windows to create a FreeDOS boot disk, which worked beautifully.

The process took ~20 minutes on my 500GB drive, and my read speeds as reported by hdparm went from ~160MB/s to ~260MB/s.

E: Oh right, there's an SSD megathread, it's probably already covered in there :doh:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 28, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

Related to being fixers, server necromancers, and the like: I hate when my colleagues spend three weeks banging their heads off complex fixes when they've buggered up the root cause.

"This user's home directory won't map. She's been with us for thirty years, we can't just scrap her profile and try again. We tried mapping and remapping and re-setting AD permissions and nothing changed. It might be a permissions problem on the samba server doing the exporting, or is it the windows client and do they have something weird set up in a part of the AD that we don't have access to? Is it a weird roaming profile thing? We'll have to try all of them. We'll do the Linux/Samba side first because most of us are Linux geeks but half of them do nothing and the other half break more things. It's been two weeks and nothing fixes it. DigitalRaven, could you check the Windows side of things to make sure we didn't miss anything?"

"Her home directory won't map because some stupid bastard set up a printer queue on the same server with the same name as her home directory. Rename the queue and bring me the fingers of whoever set it up."

Ask "why" before you ask "how".

Totally relate to this. I like telling people, "It was working before, now it isn't. Therefore, during that span of time between when it was known to be working and when it was discovered it stopped, something changed. Find what changed and then figure out how to fix it."

One of my favorites was when an IP assigned to the WAN port (public Internet side) could be pinged from the outside, but the device itself couldn't reach Internet, let's just replace the expensive device because it worked at a site that had a problem that was vaguely similar. Oh, and if the depot finds no defects they'll charge for a new unit service call. Someone should have realized that if I can ping in but can't ping out (and there's nothing between that would be chucking packets away), maybe we should check with lovely ISP and make sure they haven't assigned our static IP to someone else and changed our gateway address to boot. Again.

My boss used to have me write up "Lessons Learned" for these kind of things, but stopped and started making the Help Desk/Tier 2 people write them up. I would keep submitting to him, "The only thing I learned is that our Help Desk/Tier 2 are stupid, lazy, and useless. They couldn't find their rear end with both hands and a map." (They aren't, really, but poo poo like this would gast my flabber. Usually, they're quite adept at getting to the bottom of an issue which makes this kind of thing very frustrating at times).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 28, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KozmoNaut posted:

If anyone is using a Samsung 840 EVO SSD in their machines, and haven't run the performance restoration tool yet, I can highly recommend doing it. It can be downloaded here: https://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

The backstory is that as data gets older, read speeds drop due to some kind of drift. A firmware update fixes this, but you also need to rewrite all the data on the disk for it to have an effect on already existing data. For NTFS-formatted disks running Windows, there's a GUI tool, but for those of us running Linux or OS X (or *BSD or Hurd or Plan9/Inferno or whatever), Samsung supplies a DOS boot disk with a version of the tool.

This doesn't mean it requires a reformat, right? I think I have an 840 at home but I don't care enough to reinstall my poo poo.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I am definitely a "fixer" and I almost feel bad sometimes about how much fun I have tearing into some obscure problem or other, since as a sysadmin I'm supposed to want my stuff to work all the time, not break in strange and exciting new ways so I can amuse myself by troubleshooting them.

It also literally makes my palms itch when we're having some weird network issue and the network folks are stumped but I can't troubleshoot it any further myself because I don't have access to the network gear... :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

This doesn't mean it requires a reformat, right? I think I have an 840 at home but I don't care enough to reinstall my poo poo.

SSDefrag

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Correct, it doesn't require a format. It just goes through the disk and rewrites everything without modifying any data after updating the firmware.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Inspector_666 posted:

I made a backup image of my drive for safety's sake, but the tool doesn't reformat the drive, it just rewrites the cells. So unless something goes wrong, no data is lost.

That will work in the short term, but the only way to get the fixed firmware is through Samsung's tool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 28, 2014

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

flosofl posted:

Totally relate to this. I like telling people, "It was working before, now it isn't. Therefore, during that span of time between when it was known to be working and when it was discovered it stopped, something changed. Find what changed and then figure out how to fix it."

One of my favorites was when an IP assigned to the WAN port (public Internet side) could be pinged from the outside, but the device itself couldn't reach Internet, let's just replace the expensive device because it worked at a site that had a problem that was vaguely similar. Oh, and if the depot finds no defects they'll charge for a new unit service call. Someone should have realized that if I can ping in but can't ping out (and there's nothing between that would be chucking packets away), maybe we should check with lovely ISP and make sure they haven't assigned our static IP to someone else and changed our gateway address to boot. Again.

My boss used to have me write up "Lessons Learned" for these kind of things, but stopped and started making the Help Desk/Tier 2 people write them up. I would keep submitting to him, "The only thing I learned is that our Help Desk/Tier 2 are stupid, lazy, and useless. They couldn't find their rear end with both hands and a map." (They aren't, really, but poo poo like this would gast my flabber. Usually, they're quite adept at getting to the bottom of an issue which makes this kind of thing very frustrating at times).

Did anyone think to unplug it while pinging it from offsite to see if it went offline?

Don't bother answering it's a rhetorical question. I mean I get not knowing all 7 layers of the OSI model inside and out (everything above 3 :iiam: to me). But 1-3 are absolutely critical when it comes to anything network related.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah, those aren't that cheap or chunky. (God, Inspirons are another story, though. HTH they are now in the Client/Business support sphere I'll never know. At least I know XPS & Alienware are because CEOs gotta show off.)

I mentioned the price we get them, you must be dealing with some terrible hardware if you think it isn't chunky. I can't stand to use it for anything other than a terminal as it is so rear end, I'm certainly not lugging it around. Engineers are replacing them with Lenovo X1 Carbon's now, they're smaller but the disk and memory are just as bad or worse.

I hide it as much as possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Skex posted:

Did anyone think to unplug it while pinging it from offsite to see if it went offline?

Don't bother answering it's a rhetorical question. I mean I get not knowing all 7 layers of the OSI model inside and out (everything above 3 :iiam: to me). But 1-3 are absolutely critical when it comes to anything network related.

I love this forum because honestly, I would have done the same thing flosofl's people did.

But now if it ever happens I'll be like "Wait I read a post about this!"

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
CEO laptop chat. Mine has an AppleTV velcro'd to the back of his monitor because a video cable to his MBP apparently constitutes a "rat's nest." Now he calls me three times a day to troubleshoot the side effects of working on loving AirPlay. He also hates the laptop but there is no way he would ever get a PC. Last time I checked his system uptime was 15 days and I don't think he has ever closed a program, full stop.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
"It's always the ISP" is the new "It's always layer 1".

Turning up a couple hundred sites over the next year so I very much look forward to putting this rule into practice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

God our HR lady is so clueless

She brought back a keyboard, mousepad, a power strip, and 2 mice

'Oh this is so and so's stuff from his desk that we fired the other day'

Okay first of all just leave it there because someone else will be at the desk soon

Second of all I made a joke about there being 2 mice. "Oh, he had the two-handed mouse setup"

She replied with "Oh? That's interesting. Didn't know you could do that. How does that work?"

I was making a joke!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

HR people do that job because they cannot do anything else and are sadists so making jokes with them will just get your fired.

Rz666
Jan 31, 2013
Working part time at a school as sysadmin and it has been an IT shithole since I arrived here.
All servers date from at least before 2007, no back-up drives whatsoever so if any of them crashes you can guess the effects.
I Just cleaned one of the drives, the one with profile directories on it. Some teachers thought it would be a good idea to keep their holiday photo's and videos of the past 6 years saved at their work.
The ticketing software is running on the anti-virus server and there are a lot of other issues and lovely workarounds..

They're discussing the budget plans for next years and I've proposed plans for IT reorganization which includes the purchase of new servers, seems like they're agreeing. :dance:
I hope they will because that will save me a lot of time/work and then I'll finally be able to get everything working properly.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Pudgygiant posted:

"It's always the ISP" is the new "It's always layer 1".

Turning up a couple hundred sites over the next year so I very much look forward to putting this rule into practice.

No it's still always layer 1, except when it isn't.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Skex posted:

No it's still always layer 1, except when it isn't.

"There's an error in OSI layer 8" is our current go-to.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
It's usually layer 3 here :ohdear: Still learning as I go

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

"There's an error in OSI layer 8" is our current go-to.

We refer to those as PEBKAC issues (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

When you work in embedded engineering, nothing you do is on the Internet. You learn quickly two very important lessons.

1) The community is full of idiots.
2) The above link needs to be appended to 99% when it comes to code.

I learned quickly how to diagnose, troubleshoot, and fix other peoples code very early on in my career because you quickly learn that code is like art, anybody can pick up a paint brush, but the mass majority of people can't paint worth of poo poo. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bob Morales posted:

Second of all I made a joke about there being 2 mice. "Oh, he had the two-handed mouse setup"

She replied with "Oh? That's interesting. Didn't know you could do that. How does that work?"

I was making a joke!

Man, I have this memory of seeing a dual-trackpoint Thinkpad running Windows 3.x, complete with two mouse cursors. But I can't seem to find any references to it now :(

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

flosofl posted:

We refer to those as PEBKAC issues (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

Indeed, the ID 10 T error is well documented.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Skex posted:

"Issues inside our internal service structure are covered, as are some user-space issues. User-headspace issues are outside the scope of [company] support, and as such are billed at a competitive rate. Please assemble a list of qualified psychiatric providers in your area for a cost evaluation so that we can present you with the budget for maintaining the delusions of your users."

This is a thing that I have sent to a user. Fortunately, they're our oldest client and also have a sense of humor.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Something not pissing me off today: Drivesavers customer service.

We don't have to do data recovery for clients very often. (At most 3-4 times a year) But when we do they are always friendly, knowledgeable and competent.

It's always nice to talk to someone who isn't a total twat first thing in the morning, it doesn't happen often enough.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Skex posted:

The War on ID-10 Terror

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This loving guy in my department signs up for every webinar or lunch n learn he gets an email for.

He also responds to every single marketing email we get, and forwards them to the rest of us.

quote:

You are registered for our upcoming webinar: Preventing Data Breaches with Military-Grade Cyber Security.
Date: Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Time: 10:00am PST / 1:00pm EST
He's doing that one right now.

quote:

Would you be open to a quick conversation about a the communication systems that you're using at xyz Inc?

I work for Thinking Phones and we are a market leader for innovative cloud communication technology. Our solution provides companies the ability to drive more revenue and improve efficiency within the organization. Let’s connect and see if our products fit your business. If you’re not the best person to talk with about this, do you mind letting me know who would be?

Regards,

James V. Pieper
Business Development Representative
p: 617.649.1549 I f: 617.588.1157
https://www.thinkingphones.com

"I scheduled a call with this company to talk about phones"

WHY

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sounds like a pretty good way to not have to do any actual work.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Rz666 posted:

Working part time at a school as sysadmin and it has been an IT shithole since I arrived here.

I worked for a school back in 2002. They were still using Windows 3.11 to run a piece of poo poo school management system that was basically a flat database with hundreds of fields, and a suite of viewer/editor programs no two of which looked or worked anything like each other. Just adding a new student took 15 minutes and required running six different programs (some of them DOS-based and clearly not updated in a decade) to add their details, assign them to a tutor group, enrol them in classes etc.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Sounds like a pretty good way to not have to do any actual work.

You can piss away a good 2 hours of every day doing this poo poo.

I'm all about getting quotes from vendors and having them take me to lunch though.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
so loving burnt out from doing 2 peoples jobs for the past 3 months. so loving annoyed my boss thinks my work quality is slipping because of it. so loving relieved I'll be on vacation for a week on Friday.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweevo posted:

I worked for a school back in 2002. They were still using Windows 3.11 to run a piece of poo poo school management system that was basically a flat database with hundreds of fields, and a suite of viewer/editor programs no two of which looked or worked anything like each other. Just adding a new student took 15 minutes and required running six different programs (some of them DOS-based and clearly not updated in a decade) to add their details, assign them to a tutor group, enrol them in classes etc.

I didn't work there, but back in the early-mid 2000s the network administrators for our school district, which had a really nice computer setup honestly (high bandwidth fiber optic links between the 3 elementary schools, 1 middle school and 1 high school, reasonable fast computers replaced on a reasonable cycle, every single classroom had at least 6 computers and a printer for student use plus one computer for teacher use that could display to a combination 800x600 monitor/TV for video stuff, every single student had a 500 megabyte disk allotment on the school network that was automatically mapped when you were logged in, even the kindergarten kids got their own logins and storage, etc) still had completely boneheaded decisions being made. For instance, the head of IT got the bright idea to use Deep Freeze on all student-access computers so that kids couldn't gently caress poo poo up, right? But what they did is to do the basic image for each computer as it was - with most of them having already picked up Bonzi Buddy or other adware/malware stuff. So you had all that crap baked into computers at random.

I guess at least it could never permanently spread, but it got to the point where I eventually looked up how to defeat the auto-reimage on restart stuff (fortunately the computers were all on 98 se at the time and the DF version for that was easier to get around) and in classes where I could I'd exploit that, bring in spybot s&d and others to get rid of the poo poo, and freeze a new clean image. Finally, in my senior year, they upgraded all the computers to running XP that hadn't already been, and all the XP computers were set up from the start so that they were only frozen with clean images, and the images would be updated each time XP patches went out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

HR people do that job because they cannot do anything else and are sadists so making jokes with them will just get your fired.

There are some truly awesome highly competent HR people out there. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far.