Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Dr. Faustus is by Marlowe...

Oh, I was thinking of the wrong Faust. Looked at the wikipedia summary of Marlowe's & it sounds fun. Maybe I'll read it if I crave more Faust after Goethe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Never really seen the appeal of capital L Literature - reading it is a whole lot of work and very little enjoyment - not something I look for when I'm lookin for something to read. Plus, a whole lotta literature is hella depressing, which makes me want to read it even less.

Not all literature is Moby-Dick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

juniperjones posted:

I wouldn't be too hard on him, not everybody is cut out for reading. I mean, he doesn't want to read literary classics, you evidently didn't want to read the 30 pages between his post and the end of the thread. v:shobon:v

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Moby Dick is actually cool and fun though so weird reference to go for.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ugh I hate this avuncular madman telling me about whales why is my hobby so hard. He's such a good storyteller and so engaging, I'm crying.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ugh I hate this avuncular madman telling me about whales why is my hobby so hard. He's such a good storyteller and so engaging, I'm crying.

A whale killed my parents, jerk.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

juniperjones posted:

and yet all literature is encompassed in Moby-Dick

*mind explode*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anyone here read the Danzig trilogy by Günter Grass?

I have had it sitting on my shelf for a while but I have been a bit reluctant to enter what I am expecting to be an extremely bleak world. I read his book The Flounder some years ago and wasn't very taken with it, parts of it were interesting but much more of it I found irritating. But The Tin Drum in particular has a very strong reputation and the other books in the trilogy look interesting as well.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I read The Tin Drum this summer. It was... Kind of a slog at some points, but an okay book. Give it a go if you like

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The Tin Drum is pretty drat awesome, I thought. And it weirdly inspired two very different books, Midnight's Children and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

The Belgian posted:

I'm reading Goethe's Faust I now after reading the Urfaust. I'm enjoying it a lot though so far I like the Urfaust more.

I'm in the same boat with Jung; Faust is too full of alchemical references and metaphors to not have been designed as an alchemical text in the first place; you might want to consider reading it from this perspective to get the most enjoyment out of it. It's the same as reading the Bible, it might be really fun or really boring depending on how you interpret it. Haven't read the Urfaust so can't comment on it.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

There seems to be a lot of contention around Borges English translations on Amazon, specifically Andrew Hurley's work on "Collected Fictions". Does anyone have a preference here?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Anyone here read the Danzig trilogy by Günter Grass?

I read Tin Drum several years ago. I can't remember a ton of it, but I definitely don't remember it being especially bleak, so I wouldn't worry about that. Like, sure it is set in Nazi occupied Poland, but it is about a kid who decides never to grow up and has sonic voice powers, so it is definitely more of a farce than a depressing tragedy. The parts I remember were about him being sex-obsessed since he was an adult in a child's body, and he keeps trying to seduce various women.

A book that is super bleak and depressing that I just read was A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I think it was recommended by someone in one of these threads or another. It is about the caste system in India during the Emergency, and basically this group of people just get poo poo on repeatedly, but luckily they come together through mutual suffering, but then more terrible poo poo happens to them. A good read but avoid if you are depressed, or maybe if you are depressed but are a privileged white guy like me you might feel better that you are not in this awful situation, I guess.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

From time to time,i reread my favorite french novels in their original version alongside the earliest English translation i can find. And it NEVER fails to drive me insane.

A warning: if you want to read some french literature in English, well gently caress y- i mean, be really really careful with the translations you choose. Because some of them (like the old Victorian translations or the earliest US ones) basically censored the scandalous parts (the ones including sex, drugs and excessive frenchness) using the best tool they had: an axe. To the point where the translations sometime make absolutely no sense.

One particular chapter of the Three Musketeers in the first English translation reads like a summary written by Sarah Palin, age 12 (and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite chapters). And the Count of Montecristo without the marijuana, the erotic dream sequence and the lesbianism... well, it's just not the same thing.

In the same vein, a few of the oldest US translations of Jules Verne are basically heavily edited summaries rather than actual translations. But don't worry, they added some extra antisemitism and/or Jim Crow era racism to the original text just for you!

Most of the modern translations are relatively good (especially since the 80s) but you can still find reprints of the terrible translation around and the kindle versions are often using the 19th/early 20th century translations because gently caress you :france:.

And that's just for the basic stuff like Dumas' books, Jules Verne or Maupassant. If you want to read something a little more serious like Camus' novels, Gustave Flaubert or Marcel Proust, well, you better get ready to waste a lot of time reading reviews before even choosing your translation. Several english translations of Madame Bovary are worth their weight in arsenic. :laugh:

So here is my suggestion: Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Chandelos de Laclos is always a good introduction to french literature and it's a really enjoyable read (even in english!) if you get the translation by P.W.K. Stone. It was Marie Antoinette's favorite book so if you want to experience what the "from Versailles to the guillotine" experience feels like, try the 19th century translation by Ernest Dowson.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2014

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm reading Moby Dick right now, and I'm really surprised by how good it is. It's super good. I'm blown away.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm reading Moby Dick right now, and I'm really surprised by how good it is. It's super good. I'm blown away.

Hey, me too, and I feel the same way! I'm at the embarkation of the Pequod

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Anybody read A Brief History of Seven Killings or any other Marlon James? I just came across it and judging by it's description and a review I read it sounds like a Jamaican James Ellroy novel, definitely worth checking out.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

savinhill posted:

Anybody read A Brief History of Seven Killings or any other Marlon James? I just came across it and judging by it's description and a review I read it sounds like a Jamaican James Ellroy novel, definitely worth checking out.

No, but that sounds really interesting! I'm going to go add it to my massive to-read list. I did quite a lot of modules on fiction from that area of the world, and I enjoyed them a lot. Thanks for mentioning it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Maud Moonshine posted:

No, but that sounds really interesting! I'm going to go add it to my massive to-read list. I did quite a lot of modules on fiction from that area of the world, and I enjoyed them a lot. Thanks for mentioning it.

I started it and it's really good so far. Thought I might have trouble with some of the Jamaican patois POVs, but they're not hard to follow.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm reading William Least Heat Moon's book River Horse which is a sort of literary travel book, much like his first book Blue Highways. It's "literary" in the sense that the author has a strong working knowledge of the history of American literature and culture and constantly makes fascinating connections and references in all of the odd localities he visits on his trip. The general premise is that he and a friend are travelling by boat all the way across the interior of the United States, starting at NYC and going up the Hudson to the Erie Canal and then down to the Allegheny, through a long series of other rivers and canals with a minimal amount of portage, and ending up in the Pacific off of Oregon. I am enjoying the book quite a lot, even if his writing is a little over the top at times in the manner of an enthusiastic but out of touch English professor. It has already given me a lot of great ideas for road trips.

But after that I have a stack of classic Eric Ambler thrillers so Gunter Grasse and Real Literature can wait

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Dr. Faustus is by Marlowe...

Well Mann's novel is titled Doctor Faustus so I can see why he would be confused.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I'm reading William Least Heat Moon's book River Horse which is a sort of literary travel book, much like his first book Blue Highways. It's "literary" in the sense that the author has a strong working knowledge of the history of American literature and culture and constantly makes fascinating connections and references in all of the odd localities he visits on his trip. The general premise is that he and a friend are travelling by boat all the way across the interior of the United States, starting at NYC and going up the Hudson to the Erie Canal and then down to the Allegheny, through a long series of other rivers and canals with a minimal amount of portage, and ending up in the Pacific off of Oregon. I am enjoying the book quite a lot, even if his writing is a little over the top at times in the manner of an enthusiastic but out of touch English professor. It has already given me a lot of great ideas for road trips.

But after that I have a stack of classic Eric Ambler thrillers so Gunter Grasse and Real Literature can wait

Wow, serendipity. My colleague recommended Blue Highways and River Horse to me yesterday but couldn't remember the author. Thanks for this post!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I jus tfinished Mason & Dixon and it's pretty fantastic I'd recommend it for those of you that like books.

I'm nowe reading The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare which I have just discovered is an English translation of the French translation of the original Albanian and I think that's why it reads sort of weird but the ideas seem cool. Also the version I have has a quote from the book on the front and having read the first two chapters, then that quote, I think I now know exactly what is going to happen.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I jus tfinished Mason & Dixon and it's pretty fantastic I'd recommend it for those of you that like books.

I'm nowe reading The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare which I have just discovered is an English translation of the French translation of the original Albanian and I think that's why it reads sort of weird but the ideas seem cool. Also the version I have has a quote from the book on the front and having read the first two chapters, then that quote, I think I now know exactly what is going to happen.

Here's an interesting article by the English translator of Kadare explaining the re-translation: http://www.complete-review.com/quarterly/vol6/issue2/bellos.htm Because Albania was a Stalinist shithole for a long time and at one point had less than ten foreigners (inc. diplomats) living there, you probably won't get great ALB-ENG translations for a while. But Kadare is great and you should read him. The Successor was the amazing despite being a re-translation.

I'm jumping between Ionesco's plays, Naipaul's A House for Mr Biswas and Pamuk's lectures on writing atm. All good, so I pick and choose the read according to the mood.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's pretty good it's just stilted I guess? I probably wouldn't give it much thought if I hadn't realised I was reading a translation of a translation just before I started. I might see if I can pick up Broken April in French since it looks like Kadare was explicitly on board in the French translation process. Should I go for BRoken April or another, better one?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

It's pretty good it's just stilted I guess? I probably wouldn't give it much thought if I hadn't realised I was reading a translation of a translation just before I started. I might see if I can pick up Broken April in French since it looks like Kadare was explicitly on board in the French translation process. Should I go for BRoken April or another, better one?

Sure, why not, apart from The Successor I've only read Spring Flowers, Spring Frost from him which seemed boring, but I was also a boring teenager then, so.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
This is going to be a difficult post, but please bear with me. I'm trying to broaden my horizons here

So I'm an avid reader and I've actually been asking myself the same question the OP is asking for a while now. I read a lot of the "Big Mac and Cheese" books that everyone here seems to hate, and I haven't touched any of the High Art literature since college. Mainly because everyone has been yelling at me that the yardstick for quality literature is "How many hidden subtexts can you find?" The more you can find/invent the better the literature.

Now I am a very literal person so this is agony for me. I would literally get into arguments with my teachers about this. The page says what it says and that's it. Now simple stuff I'm ok with. Yes, I get that the book is actually about oppression. I'm not so big on "The color of the room symbolizes existential dread. Isn't this author so amazing?"

So I guess what I'm asking before I dive in is: Is there classical literature that stands on its own as an entertaining story or is it deep analysis all the way down?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Travic posted:

Is there classical literature that stands on its own as an entertaining story [...]?

Yes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Travic posted:

So I guess what I'm asking before I dive in is: Is there classical literature that stands on its own as an entertaining story or is it deep analysis all the way down?

Yes there are a ton of entertaining stories in literature starting from the most classical of classical literatures like the Iliad and Oydessey and continuing pretty much up until now. While the use of symbols is indeed a thing in literature, and sometimes color can be used as a symbol, I'm not really sure how that makes the stories themselves any less entertaining. I mean the idea that "The page says what it says and that's it" is pretty dumb since it essentially claims that things like metaphors and analogies and symbols and wordplay don't exist, which they obviously do, but I don't see how that works in contrary with entertainment. If you want to ignore any reading other than the most superficial one and just read about the adventures of a Greek warrior or the scheming of Richard II, there's nothing stopping you and they are still good stories, but you are missing a lot.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 20, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Travic posted:

Yes, of course. If a novel or play or collection of poetry has distinguished itself so brilliantly that it's accepted as a great work of art, remembered decades or centuries after it was written, it will be because it is entertaining and pleasurable to read. You're not in high school anymore. You can read books just to enjoy the prose, and the prose in literature is better and more interesting than genre fiction or whatever mass-market paperbacks you have in mind as a counterexample.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Travic posted:

Mainly because everyone has been yelling at me that the yardstick for quality literature is "How many hidden subtexts can you find?" The more you can find/invent the better the literature.

Also, bear in mind that this line of thought is just that person's opinion--whoever it is who is telling you this nonsense. And opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone's stinks, etc. etc., so on and so forth regarding subjective enjoyment.

There are many ways to enjoy literature. If you are interested in pursuing literature for enjoyment, then find a method that is enjoyable to you. It may sound obvious, but isn't always, especially if you have lots of people in your life who are trying to tell you that literature must be enjoyed in a specific way, particularly a way where it's basically just treating it was a Where's Waldo of subtexts.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Travic posted:

This is going to be a difficult post, but please bear with me. I'm trying to broaden my horizons here

So I'm an avid reader and I've actually been asking myself the same question the OP is asking for a while now. I read a lot of the "Big Mac and Cheese" books that everyone here seems to hate, and I haven't touched any of the High Art literature since college. Mainly because everyone has been yelling at me that the yardstick for quality literature is "How many hidden subtexts can you find?" The more you can find/invent the better the literature.

Now I am a very literal person so this is agony for me. I would literally get into arguments with my teachers about this. The page says what it says and that's it. Now simple stuff I'm ok with. Yes, I get that the book is actually about oppression. I'm not so big on "The color of the room symbolizes existential dread. Isn't this author so amazing?"

Yes, there is tons. The most accessible I can think of, at least in British lit., are Dickens, Austen (arguable, she's beloved but not my favourite), and Charlotte Bronte. Russian: Turgenev (Fathers and Sons), Tolstoy (particularly Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Illyitch). Flaubert's Madame Bovary comes to mind...as does Don Quixote and Tom Jones, among others.

Basically, the idea that classic literature doesn't tend to have an engaging story is horrible and presumptuous and is indicative of incredible ignorance. Did you really argue with your teachers about this? If so, that is quite embarrassing.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Earwicker posted:

"The page says what it says and that's it" is pretty dumb since it essentially claims that things like metaphors and analogies and symbols and wordplay don't exist, which they obviously do, but I don't see how that works in contrary with entertainment. If you want to ignore any reading other than the most superficial one and just read about the adventures of a Greek warrior or the scheming of Richard II, there's nothing stopping you and they are still good stories, but you are missing a lot.

Blind Sally posted:

Also, bear in mind that this line of thought is just that person's opinion--whoever it is who is telling you this nonsense. And opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone's stinks, etc. etc., so on and so forth regarding subjective enjoyment.

There are many ways to enjoy literature. If you are interested in pursuing literature for enjoyment, then find a method that is enjoyable to you. It may sound obvious, but isn't always, especially if you have lots of people in your life who are trying to tell you that literature must be enjoyed in a specific way, particularly a way where it's basically just treating it was a Where's Waldo of subtexts.

Well that's encouraging, but I should explain. I love metaphor and word play and intricate, clever ways to use the English language. What I am talking about is sort of a product of my English Literature schooling. I was told year after year, book after book, "Read this and find some hidden meaning. Make it up if you have to." I am not kidding. That was the extent of the appreciation of the prose. After so many years of the same approach I assumed there was nothing more to it and swore it off entirely.

As you said I'm not in school anymore. I'm just researching a bit to see if my teachers were full of poo poo so I can give it another shot.

The Doctor posted:

Basically, the idea that classic literature doesn't tend to have an engaging story is horrible and presumptuous and is indicative of incredible ignorance. Did you really argue with your teachers about this? If so, that is quite embarrassing.

I didn't argue about literature having an engaging story. I argued with them about them making up subtexts that didn't actually exist. The arguments generally went like this:

:eng101: Little Women is actually about <completely unrelated topic>
:confused: What?
:eng101: I read the story and based on these three paragraphs I can deduce Little Women is actually about something else.
:confused: But that's not true. You just made that up.
:eng101: Who's to say my interpretation is incorrect?
:confused: The author?
:eng101: She may have intended this to be the true meaning of her book.
:confused: ...

Travic fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 20, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Author

Yeah, if you can find some way to justify it, you can make up whatever subtext you want.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What you are talking about sounds like a sort of parody of a stereotype of an incompetent lit professor. While it's possible that all of your teachers were that ridiculous, it seems more likely that in at least some cases they were probably talking about symbology and subtext that was actually there, or at least some for which there are reasonably arguable grounds, and of which you were instinctively dismissive. Just a hunch.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 20, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Travic posted:

Just read something simple and fun for starters then. Kafka's Metamorphosis is fun as all gently caress because it's about the main character turning into a beetle which sounds just like a Family Guy episode and reads that way too, except it's good and also short. Everybody can enjoy the Metamorphosis.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shibawanko posted:

Just read something simple and fun for starters then. Kafka's Metamorphosis is fun as all gently caress because it's about the main character turning into a beetle which sounds just like a Family Guy episode and reads that way too, except it's good and also short. Everybody can enjoy the Metamorphosis.

The Metamorphosis is mad depressing

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Shibawanko posted:

I still remember reading The Metamorphosis and I absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Ok guys my professor suggested that the author thought about the choices they made when writing, anybody got some suggestions that avoid this nonsense