Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Parahexavoctal posted:

Jesus christ it's easy to fall way behind on this thread, way too fast. Finally caught up.

Before I resume posting from my archive of John Darling, some interesting news:

I've been contacting some cartoonists, showing them some of the best edits we've made of their work.

Very positive responses from:

Kevin Frank! (of course)
Dana Simpson!
Paul Gilligan!
and Paige Braddock!

(well, I don't know what Paige's response actually was, but her assistant said "oh god, she'll love this".)

I'm honestly wondering how Dana thinks about people making fun of Raine Dog. :ponder:

Generally cartoonists have a sense of humor about these things, unless the edit is REALLY mean-spirited. Probably the only one who'd hate it is someone like Wiley Miller. I used to be in a message board that Wiley was in. The guy is a dick in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Beeg posted:

I'm honestly wondering how Dana thinks about people making fun of Raine Dog. :ponder:

Generally cartoonists have a sense of humor about these things, unless the edit is REALLY mean-spirited. Probably the only one who'd hate it is someone like Wiley Miller. I used to be in a message board that Wiley was in. The guy is a dick in real life.

And, of course, Brooke.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Jesus christ it's easy to fall way behind on this thread, way too fast. Finally caught up.

Before I resume posting from my archive of John Darling, some interesting news:

I've been contacting some cartoonists, showing them some of the best edits we've made of their work.

Very positive responses from:

Kevin Frank! (of course)
Dana Simpson!
Paul Gilligan!
and Paige Braddock!

(well, I don't know what Paige's response actually was, but her assistant said "oh god, she'll love this".)

Could you tell us which ones you thought were the best?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Bernice accidentally hosted one party and knows no one. Call Tiffany.

That's is not how people from Hootin' Holler talk. And isn't Silas's shop in Hootin' Holler? I do like the fact that Silas's and Barney's tongues are both constantly visible though. It's a nice detail, like the Little Orphan Annie characters having no irises or pupils.

Silas' and Barney's AND Spark plug's.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Beeg posted:

Well since she did her best to delete that and pretend it was never made, so... she would probably not be too happy.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Well since she did her best to delete that and pretend it was never made, so... she would probably not be too happy.

Yeah, I don't see why goons are keeping that whole thing alive when she wants to move past it. It's not like she committed a crime against anyone.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dibujante posted:

Yeah, I don't see why goons are keeping that whole thing alive when she wants to move past it. It's not like she committed a crime against anyone bestiality.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

CHAT LOG SNIPPETS (note that I refer to Dana as "Cr." as short for "Cartoonist" - it's based on something from an Iain M. Banks novel where an architect was referred to as 'Ar.')

<me> ah, Cr. Simpson! How do you feel about (good-natured) edits of _Heavenly Nostrils_ strips?

<Dana Simpson> I enjoy those.

<me> here y'go - http://imgur.com/dBtwpIu
credited to "Irish Joe" from the Something Awful Forums newspaper comics megathread

<Dana Simpson>
Hahahaha.

(...)

<me> _Raine Dog_ was an allegory, yes
but I'll leave that aside

<Dana Simpson> It wasn't really, but everyone misunderstood it as one.

(...)

<me> are you okay with being mentioned as a cartoonist who has no problem with her panels being mercilessly tampered with by the gang on Something Awful?

<Dana Simpson> If that's who I am, I own it, baby.

(...)

<Me> I'm reading the "Terrible Webcomics" megathread
someone described an awkward tonal shift as:
"It'd be like skipping forward a few years into heavenly nostrils and finding the unicorn and girl on the run after witnessing her dad murder her mom or something"
congratulations, dana. You've become the basis of analogies!

<Dana Simpson>
Hahaha!

(...)

<Me> serious question: how far ahead do you work?
like, Morrie Turner had a nine-month buffer

<Dana Simpson>
I've never been nine months ahead. Normally I try to be about six weeks up.
The reason I'm in reruns now is, the syndicate keeps making me do things to prepare for [REDACTED] and it ate up my buffer. I'm not supposed to talk about the details, which actually sort of annoys me.

(...)

<me>a particularly vicious edit of Heavenly Nostrils, by "Cricken Nigfops"
http://i.imgur.com/kuNyu0s.gif
enjoy!

<Dana Simpson> Oh, the Internet is sooooo clever. :)

===========

So there you go. I've given Kevin Frank all the edits we've made, and shown him the praise he gets here. Paul Gilligan loved the edit where Carmen asks how she can prove to Poncho that she really does like dogs, and Poncho holds up a pack of condoms. Paige Braddock's assistant appreciated, and said Paige would appreciate, the one where the girl from the '60s explains to Jane about what it's really like to have traveled forward in time 45+ years. "I don't know how anything works, I don't know what anyone's talking about, my parents are dead, my friends are all old and think I'm dead... oh, but phones are computers now. Hurray."

(Jane's response: "well, when you put it that way, it sounds like a bad thing!")

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ema Nymton posted:

Water in a punch bowl, eh, colorist?

You know, I really have to ask why so many colorists do such a half-rear end job, especially since it looks like most of these guys are just using the "fill" tool. Would it really kill you to take 30 seconds to actually read the comic?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Clearly, she should... kill herself? Or something? I guess her life is over, because Goons Remember.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Parahexavoctal posted:

CHAT LOG SNIPPETS (note that I refer to Dana as "Cr." as short for "Cartoonist" - it's based on something from an Iain M. Banks novel where an architect was referred to as 'Ar.')

<me> ah, Cr. Simpson! How do you feel about (good-natured) edits of _Heavenly Nostrils_ strips?

<Dana Simpson> I enjoy those.

<me> here y'go - http://imgur.com/dBtwpIu
credited to "Irish Joe" from the Something Awful Forums newspaper comics megathread

<Dana Simpson>
Hahahaha.

(...)

<me> _Raine Dog_ was an allegory, yes
but I'll leave that aside

<Dana Simpson> It wasn't really, but everyone misunderstood it as one.

(...)

<me> are you okay with being mentioned as a cartoonist who has no problem with her panels being mercilessly tampered with by the gang on Something Awful?

<Dana Simpson> If that's who I am, I own it, baby.

(...)

<Me> I'm reading the "Terrible Webcomics" megathread
someone described an awkward tonal shift as:
"It'd be like skipping forward a few years into heavenly nostrils and finding the unicorn and girl on the run after witnessing her dad murder her mom or something"
congratulations, dana. You've become the basis of analogies!

<Dana Simpson>
Hahaha!

(...)

<Me> serious question: how far ahead do you work?
like, Morrie Turner had a nine-month buffer

<Dana Simpson>
I've never been nine months ahead. Normally I try to be about six weeks up.
The reason I'm in reruns now is, the syndicate keeps making me do things to prepare for [REDACTED] and it ate up my buffer. I'm not supposed to talk about the details, which actually sort of annoys me.

(...)

<me>a particularly vicious edit of Heavenly Nostrils, by "Cricken Nigfops"
http://i.imgur.com/kuNyu0s.gif
enjoy!

<Dana Simpson> Oh, the Internet is sooooo clever. :)

===========

So there you go. I've given Kevin Frank all the edits we've made, and shown him the praise he gets here. Paul Gilligan loved the edit where Carmen asks how she can prove to Poncho that she really does like dogs, and Poncho holds up a pack of condoms. Paige Braddock's assistant appreciated, and said Paige would appreciate, the one where the girl from the '60s explains to Jane about what it's really like to have traveled forward in time 45+ years. "I don't know how anything works, I don't know what anyone's talking about, my parents are dead, my friends are all old and think I'm dead... oh, but phones are computers now. Hurray."

(Jane's response: "well, when you put it that way, it sounds like a bad thing!")

Aw, I never claimed I was clever, quite the opposite in fact, I'm a total hack! (And now I feel terrible. :( )

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

At long last, the return of John Darling!

When I fell behind last time, I'd gotten to the plot arc where John went to New York City to be a guest host on the Today Show.

Punchline of strip 1: John accidentally kills a dog.

Punchline of strip 2: John wants to gently caress Jane Pauley.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dibujante posted:

Yeah, I don't see why goons are keeping that whole thing alive when she wants to move past it. It's not like she committed a crime against anyone.

Because it's funny as poo poo to mock, which is what goons exist for.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because it's funny as poo poo to mock, which is what goons exist for.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Blhue posted:

Psst, they're making a joke about how Bernice thinks she's cool now because she accidentally was in the vicinity of a successful party. I know this is Luann, so its hard to tell what's supposed to be humorous, but c'mon.

You sure about that?

Oh, hey! There's a bonus gently caress Tiff as well! Turns out it's really hard to overestimate the shitulence of Luann.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dibujante posted:

Clearly, she should... kill herself? Or something? I guess her life is over, because Goons Remember.

Clearly she should enjoy that something she created gave such joy to so many. Why you always gotta be binary about everything?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (October 30, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (September 3-5, 1951)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh, Brother

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'd send e-mail to Park Seung-hoon, except that I don't know what his address is. This is almosty certainly a deliberate choice on his part. Nearly all the Korean comics have an e-mail on them somewhere.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

There is some pretty useful information in that issue of 'Toad Gas' magazine.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 29, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
I was just going to say how much I hate when people share a Facebook account, but then I read the rest of the comic and now I'm confused. He's accusing Janis of being in the stone age because she uses Facebook? :confused:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Wigs and mustaches are pretty basic disguises, but what sort of crazy person possesses more than one hat?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Tiggum posted:

I was just going to say how much I hate when people share a Facebook account, but then I read the rest of the comic and now I'm confused. He's accusing Janis of being in the stone age because she uses Facebook? :confused:
I... think it's a joke about how Facebook is getting somewhat passé amongst younger folks? Like they can't remember their Facebook password because they never use Facebook anymore.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Tiggum posted:

I'm thinking it's a joke about how she thinks she's hip and cool and in tune with the young peoples because she uses Facebook, but actual young people think Facebook is dumb and boring and old, get with the times GRANDMA.

Blhue posted:

Wigs and mustaches are pretty basic disguises, but what sort of crazy person possesses more than one hat?

Sadly brother number one, knowing Inspector Danger's bizarre illogic, bought a hat with a tassel to frame his other brother, knowing that the Inspector would assume brother #3 had used a wig and fake mustache, and once again an innocent man was arrested.

Also if I ever rob a bank, I think I will very loudly shout "MONEY TIME!" when I do.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I've always hated Facebook and have never been able to get any part of it to work correctly.

Pickles misses when velcro shoes were cool.

Bleeker just sucks, I'm sorry.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also if I ever rob a bank, I think I will very loudly shout "MONEY TIME!" when I do.

Sorry, the only acceptable way to rob a bank is while playing Tubthumping at high volume.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I have no idea what this is about. I guess it's an evolution joke?

Mary Worth

Yes why look they have a bulletin board! And a small desk/table thing with flowers on it!

Rex Morgan MD

People make mistakes, June.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

I used to be in a message board that Wiley was in. The guy is a dick in real life.

I have to say, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, the only acceptable way to rob a bank is while playing Tubthumping at high volume.
So yell it louder.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

:allears:

Classic Prince Valiant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Goons are really good at keeping things alive that are all about moving past something.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Didn't Ed deliberately eat the last of the candy right in front of the kids just to be a dick?

On the Fastrack

drat, Dethany, own that up. No need to be modest around some old teacher.

Safe Havens

Doesn't it have to be in salt water? And shouldn't they both be in sunlight?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Doesn't it have to be in salt water? And shouldn't they both be in sunlight?

Haha, they're going to die because they're not rooted to a source of nutrients. Hilarious.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Didn't Ed deliberately eat the last of the candy right in front of the kids just to be a dick?

Yes. He even smiled as he did it. That was like one trip ago, how short is the author's memory? (Or how short does he think our memory is, I suppose.)

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Ema Nymton posted:

Water in a punch bowl, eh, colorist?
If it was red in the last two panels, it could be mistaken for blood and offend some old people.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 29, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My Lovely Horse posted:

Goons are really good at keeping things alive that are all about moving past something.
It's often harder on the goon.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

This wouldn't have happened if you'd agreed to the Melbourne method, Doc!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy has a second sense for patter that must be whistled. (August 24, 1927)

Peanuts (October 28, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 14-15, 1925)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Good God, Boyce. What the gently caress does that even mean?

Jane's World

And Jill's move was super effective!

Non Sequitur

You could've done a little better with this one, Wiley.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

That was good. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 10/29/2003

No, he created a cache of belly button lint.

Zits

Will your teeth really get re-hosed up that fast? I've never had braces.

Kevin & Kell

What? I must be missing something here, because this is not funny at all. Hopefully we're done with the bully crap though.

Wow, Nemi, that is one serious look of contempt.

• Locked thread