Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Yes, it's in the return period until November 3rd. Can I return it in a shop even if I had it shipped, and can I expect to load out a Retina iMac at said shop?

Fake edit: The best part was where I had to call my bank to get my debit limit increased temporarily to let the purchase go through. On a Sunday night.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

kode54 posted:

Yes, it's in the return period until November 3rd. Can I return it in a shop even if I had it shipped, and can I expect to load out a Retina iMac at said shop?

Fake edit: The best part was where I had to call my bank to get my debit limit increased temporarily to let the purchase go through. On a Sunday night.

Yes, if you bought it from Apple, an Apple store can do the return. Shops only sell pre-configured models, so if by "load out" you mean spec one out, then no. If by "load out" you mean carry out of the store and into your car, then yes, as long as your store has stock.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
What I meant was, I hope the store at least has some good configurations stocked, and not just the base model.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

kode54 posted:

What I meant was, I hope the store at least has some good configurations stocked, and not just the base model.

I would hope so too, but it seems to depend on the store. It's been said here a while ago that stores supposedly all carry a maxed out version of some or all Mac types, but my store has never heard of that.

Also, it's not like the iMac is better than the 6-core Mac Pro in everything. It'll depend on your applications.

fleshweasel posted:

I don't know why he was being all sassy about it.

I would think because the question looked like a joke. An expensive machine has some issues and a mysterious light comes on, how could that not be a reason to have it checked out? BTW googling for "Mac Pro orange light" brings up all kinds of MacBook Pro charger issue related posts from dumbasses who refer to their MBP as a "Mac Pro" :haw:.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
My parents' computer (an aging Compaq) went up poo poo creek at the weekend and they've asked me to help find a replacement for them to buy. Would I be generally right in assuming that the energy savings of the £399 mini would offset the upfront cost?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Still puzzling over the left fan in my ol' C2D Macbook Pro '07. The thing is that despite the fan sensors showing it's doing precisely 0 RPM at the moment, I can still hear faint humming on both sides. The right fan is working but it sounds like the left one is too. Also temperatures are holding far better than I'd expect them to if the left one had completely gone.

I found an old picture I took of the innards when I first got this thing and the specific bit in the picture is the one that's now completely off the logic board, plug and all.

That is the fan power wire, right? And not like, some sensor that shows the RPM or something.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Still puzzling over the left fan in my ol' C2D Macbook Pro '07. The thing is that despite the fan sensors showing it's doing precisely 0 RPM at the moment, I can still hear faint humming on both sides. The right fan is working but it sounds like the left one is too. Also temperatures are holding far better than I'd expect them to if the left one had completely gone.

I found an old picture I took of the innards when I first got this thing and the specific bit in the picture is the one that's now completely off the logic board, plug and all.

That is the fan power wire, right? And not like, some sensor that shows the RPM or something.

Yes that connector contains both the power and rpm sensor wires. If the connector has come off the board it may be possible for someone skilled at soldering smd components to fix it. I've had that kind of thing repaired at local electronic repair places before.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Yes that connector contains both the power and rpm sensor wires. If the connector has come off the board it may be possible for someone skilled at soldering smd components to fix it. I've had that kind of thing repaired at local electronic repair places before.
Okay, thanks. The fan was on its way out anyway, rattling like crazy and I've found a few replacements for 30 to 50 bucks which doesn't seem all that bad, but I guess I should look around for a place that could try to sort it out if I get the part. If not, I'll shop around for a logic board replacement or a new machine altogether.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

kode54 posted:

I hope not, but I'm taking it in just the same.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're kidding around this time. I'm probably nuts to drive it 25 minutes out of my way to the nearest Apple Store just to make sure.

You say you're taking it in then say I'm still joking when I say to take it in? No wonder an expensive computer not working right confuses you so much.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kode54 posted:

Typically, the store will have three configs.

Absolute base, small bump, and maxed out.

Since the site only displays one model, they may only have base and maxed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How big of a deal is it to get to the keyboard on a 2010 13" MBP? I spilled used motorcycle fork oil in my laptop, it smells like death now. :doh:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's unibody, so it's not exactly a discrete part you can take out. You would pretty much need to pop the keys off individually and try to get it out. Any further work would require pretty much complete disassembly of the bottom case.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, buying a new laptop and retiring this to headless linux usage. It smells loving bad.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
For those people complaining about Retina iMacs being choppy in Mission Control, this is most likely the same Yosemite Bug that everyone is reporting. If I leave my 15" Retina Macbook Pro running for several days, mission control will get terribly slow.

After a reboot, it's back to being fast.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2kgkof/

echobucket fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 27, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You say you're taking it in then say I'm still joking when I say to take it in? No wonder an expensive computer not working right confuses you so much.

Sorry. I'm used to spending loads on a PC in parts and having random issues that I mostly ignore. The last issue I had with such a setup was installing a new Noctua cooler and losing two of my memory slots, so I RMA'd it and got a replacement.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's time to return the trash can and upgrade to an all-flash storage retina iMac, friend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kode54 posted:

Sorry. I'm used to spending loads on a PC in parts and having random issues that I mostly ignore. The last issue I had with such a setup was installing a new Noctua cooler and losing two of my memory slots, so I RMA'd it and got a replacement.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you need the two extra cores for? I'm not trying to be lovely, I just didn't notice anything that would be made noticeably better with a hex-core machine in the stuff you listed earlier.

If I were you, I'd have the Fruit Stand look it over and give you a health report (just for curiosity's sake) and then exchange it for a top-tier retina iMac anyway.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you need the two extra cores for? I'm not trying to be lovely, I just didn't notice anything that would be made noticeably better with a hex-core machine in the stuff you listed earlier.

If I were you, I'd have the Fruit Stand look it over and give you a health report (just for curiosity's sake) and then exchange it for a top-tier retina iMac anyway.
I have a top tier Retina iMac and I'd agree with this advice. I'm still drooling over the screen.

Also, I do tend to shut it down overnight so that might also explain why I haven't noticed any choppiness in Mission Control/general animations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'd read that the hex core was the sweet spot for price/performance ratio, but really, I somehow thought the extra video and system RAM would make a noticeable difference. Certainly it did make compiling my two big projects much faster than my Core i5 3570K Hackintosh setup. Flew right through Luxmark, for all the good that did me.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Taking it to the nearest Fruit Stand tomorrow. Should I be concerned that Google Maps shows a rating of 2.5 out of 5 stars for that location?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Mac Pro is a great choice for a tiny subset of working creatives. But generally if you're not working with Red 5k/6k footage, the Retina iMac is going to be the best bang for your buck.

And even if you do work in those formats, the maxed out Retina iMac may still be worth it over the same price Mac Pro because of the display. In my eyes the only thing the Pro has going for it right now is the ability to throw 2x6gb GPU's and a 12-core CPU in it.

That configuration will set you back $8k.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah unless you're processing more video to 1080p than there are hours in the day all day every day you really don't need a pro.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I’ve been playing with my mid-2013 Macbook Air (according to the Battery Health app, it’s 7.5 months old) that I received from Amazon Warehouse on the 25th. It’s a 4gb/256gb model that I paid $837.50 for. I am incredibly impressed, coming from an old Acer and feel like I got a fantastic deal since it only has 5 cycles on the battery. Everything works without a hitch and I’ve actually found Mavericks easy to get acclimated to, apart from an unfamiliar file system. Plus everything’s so fast.

I figure the 4gb of ram will be okay since I don’t plan to do anything more intensive than Microsoft Word and maybe a few older games. Does anybody have any experience running Europa Universalis IV on the Air? Also, would you guys recommend updating to Yosemite right away or should I wait?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Go to Yosemite.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Wang posted:

Also, would you guys recommend updating to Yosemite right away or should I wait?

Do the upgrade

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'll get on top of that immediately.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does anyone have any experience with/heard of anyone dual booting 8.1 and OS X on the same external SSD drive connected to the Mac through thunderbolt? I've heard there are issues with Boot Camp on externals but 8.1 and Thunderbolt fix that, but I can't nail down any solid guides or walkthroughs. Any help is much appreciated.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

echobucket posted:

For those people complaining about Retina iMacs being choppy in Mission Control, this is most likely the same Yosemite Bug that everyone is reporting. If I leave my 15" Retina Macbook Pro running for several days, mission control will get terribly slow.

After a reboot, it's back to being fast.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2kgkof/

I will try this out when I get a chance. I don't think I've actually restarted my retina iMac since I got it. I'm also running a 1080p monitor as a second desktop with it so if it's still choppy it's probably that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, I just had a very lovely evening (morning?) because I didn't realize that Yosemite doesn't work with some Native Instruments hardware/software, so I had to install some updates to get it to work. However, now I can only use my Traktor Audio2 external soundcard with the Traktor software...I used to be able to do a radio show through iTunes, which is more user-friendly in a couple of ways. Does anyone have advice on getting my Mac to just recognize an audio-out device?

Why? The only changes I can see are negative.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Why? The only changes I can see are negative.
And all the changes I see are positive.

Anecdotes are fun.

edit: You should probably consult the Knowledge Base for your obscure DJ hardware before doing a major OS upgrade. Stuff like that is almost always guaranteed to be broken at launch.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 28, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Never deploy upgrades on any kind of production machine if you're in the middle of any projects, and especially not before you've tested them in another system or VM or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

poo poo I didn't even upgrade on my home machine until I made sure my Usenet stuff wasn't gonna get sniped like it did the previous three upgrades.

Gotta have my stories.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ars does a mini-review of the Retina iMac as a gaming machine, with lots of screenshots:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/the-retina-imac-and-its-5k-display-as-a-gaming-machine/

quote:

Preliminary judgment: it games!

I’ll be putting the iMac through some more evaluations in the coming days, including hooking my Oculus Rift DK2 up and trying out some Elite: Dangerous after that particular game’s latest beta release goes live on October 28. However, just based on the performance of Alien: Isolation, any fears prospective Retina iMac owners might have had that the system’s high resolution will outstrip the GPU’s ability to keep it fed appear to be unfounded.

Games at 2560x1440 (or "1440p," if you prefer) look and run great, even with AA and AF enabled. The fact that the GPU is scaling the image up to fit to the underlying 5K pixel grid really doesn’t appear, at least to my eye, to yield any of the blurriness that you get when using non-native resolutions on lower-DPI LCDs. One game and some first impressions does not equal a total assessment, but at least at first blush, buying a Retina iMac isn't going to mean you have to log out of Steam and never come back again.
Further Reading
Achieving fusion—with a service training doc, Ars tears open Apple’s Fusion Drive

In-depth and hands-on with what it does and how it does it.

There are certainly issues with the Retina iMac—at least for now, you can’t connect an external 5K display to it, due to the fact that the bandwidth required to push more than 14 million pixels outstrips the available bandwidth on a DisplayPort 1.2 connection. Similarly, the Retina iMac doesn’t support being used as a 5K display in Target Display Mode. The base configuration’s Fusion Drive doesn’t let you install Windows on the SSD, so Boot Camp excursions will have to chug along at plain old hard disk drive speed. And, of course, it costs $3,000—for that amount of money, you can part together one hell of a gaming PC.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

My iMac 5k is on order. As long as I can play my blizzard games and Civ (and beyond earth when it is out for mac) on 1080p or higher...I am golden. I went with the 512ssd and the 295x upgrade. Good to know its able to do more games if needed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My boss's car got broken into, and they took his laptop and his backup drive (I've been giving him poo poo for the way he backs up for a while now). He's going to get another laptop, but I remembered the Find My Mac feature. I just tried it now with his account and my account. My laptop at home is on and on the network, but it couldn't get a location on my own computer. His computer was offline, so I imagine it's still not turned on, or on a network.

However, I remember there being some kind of honeypot Safari mode. Does anyone have any links to documentation on this? I thought it would even try to take pictures with the webcam if that mode was used, and it was a way to trick people into putting it online.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I returned the Mac Pro and now I just have to wait for the money to hit my bank account before I can order my mostly maxed Retina iMac.

Should I bother with the CPU upgrade or just memory GPU and storage?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kode54 posted:

I returned the Mac Pro and now I just have to wait for the money to hit my bank account before I can order my mostly maxed Retina iMac.

Should I bother with the CPU upgrade or just memory GPU and storage?

I would definitely do both the CPU and GPU. Unlike notebook Intel CPUs, desktop i7s are the only ones with hyperthreading enabled and not the i5s. For your needs I'd grab the i7.

Also, if you're willing to put up with a tiny amount of extra hassle, I'd buy third party RAM and save $200-$400 over buying it straight from Apple. I'm sure you probably already know this, but there's a little door on the back of the 27" iMac for RAM swaps that the 21" version doesn't have, making it a 2 minute job.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, if you're willing to put up with a tiny amount of extra hassle, I'd buy third party RAM and save $200-$400 over buying it straight from Apple. I'm sure you probably already know this, but there's a little door on the back of the 27" iMac for RAM swaps that the 21" version doesn't have, making it a 2 minute job.

I agree with you in theory, BUT you also have to not be a lazy rear end (like me) and actually order the loving ram. This exact logic is what got me to order 4MB with my MBP back in 2009, and once I got it set up it ran pretty well with 4MB so I put off upgrading so I could do other things with the money that the upgrade would cost.

. . . fast forward to now and I finally got around to ordering 8MB yesterday. But for an extra couple hundred bucks five years ago I could have enjoyed 8MB of ram for the full life cycle of my machine, rather than just at the tail end as an upgrade to keep it kicking for one more update cycle.

I know I'm an idiot, but I doubt I'm the first person to fall prey to this particular type of false economy either.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree with you in theory, BUT you also have to not be a lazy rear end (like me) and actually order the loving ram. This exact logic is what got me to order 4MB with my MBP back in 2009, and once I got it set up it ran pretty well with 4MB so I put off upgrading so I could do other things with the money that the upgrade would cost.

. . . fast forward to now and I finally got around to ordering 8MB yesterday. But for an extra couple hundred bucks five years ago I could have enjoyed 8MB of ram for the full life cycle of my machine, rather than just at the tail end as an upgrade to keep it kicking for one more update cycle.

I know I'm an idiot, but I doubt I'm the first person to fall prey to this particular type of false economy either.

This might blow your mind, but you can order both at the same time.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This might blow your mind, but you can order both at the same time.

He doesn't even know if it's gigabytes or megabytes of RAM he's ordering. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
So if I order the 8GB base memory, does that mean I need to buy 16 or just another 8? I don't even know what form or speed to buy, but I could look that up pretty quick.