Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Huh. Don't know if Wizards saw that article about Lee Shi Tian and the Umbrella Revolution or not, but today's Walking the Planes mentions it and explains the reference.

I'm pretty sure Wizards knew the whole story behind that but didn't publicize it because "Politics" is a game they have to play as a company that does international work, especially when said story involves a country they do business in.

The Walking the Planes videos are done by someone else right? With limited connection to Wizards? That gives them an air of deniability to show the story but not have actually taken a side in the eyes of "Politics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Exactly. I see cool cards like Feldon and get all excited before remembering that it's only playable in legacy or commander and realize I will never get to use said cool cards.

He might be playable in Imperial Painter, since he can make recruiters and painters and Jayas off of dead ones.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Wave of Vitriol seems to play well with Titania. Aw gently caress, Wave took out these 4 great nonbasics of mine. Guess I will just have to replace them with basics and 4 5/3's. It is a shame Wave will break any token-doubling enchantments you might have. Everything seems pretty pricy in the green deck, but I guess with a commander that poops out Llanowar Elves every turn, it will be pretty fast.

On a side note, are we going to have a new 'blue' deck for this year's Commander that will be worth significantly more than the MSRP? The black deck seems solid but outside of maybe Malicious Affliction, it does not look like it will have a lot of value (that, Gisa, Medallion and Ob make it worth the $35 investment imo). The red deck is going to have Feldon, Dualcaster and maybe Wurmcoil, so that one has potential. I doubt we see Cryptic Command, just like we didn't see it last time when 2 commands were printed.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Exactly. I see cool cards like Feldon and get all excited before remembering that it's only playable in legacy or commander and realize I will never get to use said cool cards.

I just wanna know the reprints!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Build a cuuuuuuuuuube

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

I just wanna know the reprints!

it's tarmogoyf

there's tarmogoyf in the green deck

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

sarmhan posted:

Well this is an even better gently caress-everyone card.

What's that, 5color deck? You're God Tribal? Oh dear.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Build a cuuuuuuuuuube

Still haven't regretted following this piece of advice.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Archenteron posted:

What's that, 5color deck? You're God Tribal? Oh dear.

Yeah, it bones my Sharuum artifact ramp deck pretty hard, too. I run a decent number of basics in it, but it runs a bunch of mana rocks and utility artifacts, meaning I'd better up the number of counterspells I run.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He might be playable in Imperial Painter, since he can make recruiters and painters and Jayas off of dead ones.

He makes a Welder that can weld itself :smugwizard:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Cernunnos posted:

I'm pretty sure Wizards knew the whole story behind that but didn't publicize it because "Politics" is a game they have to play as a company that does international work, especially when said story involves a country they do business in.

Of course, but it's interesting that they were willing to talk about it later (even in something slightly distanced from their official people), and to speculate if it was in reaction to the frustration some people expressed.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

He makes a Welder that can weld itself :smugwizard:
YES! I am totally building mono red welder shennagins.dec

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Lord of Hats posted:

Build a cuuuuuuuuuube
Seriously.

And then invite me over, because I never get to cube because my friends wanna play Standard :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fish Of Doom posted:

People getting pissed off about Commander product is like going to the Grocery Store for a gallon of Milk and getting angry that they also sell Ice Cream. I eat dairy one way and it's the only way it's meant to be consumed!

I came to the grocery store looking for milk and got urine. I can be unhappy about that.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Toshimo posted:

I came to the grocery store looking for milk and got urine. I can be unhappy about that.

You haven't been tricked into buying or forced to buy <Not_Milk>. There's just <Not_Milk> on the shelf next to the Milk for people who happen to like <Not_Milk>.

Quit complaining about <Not_Milk> like it's the only thing you're allowed to buy now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Flamekin Village

As Flamekin Village enters the battlefield, you may reveal an Elemental card from your hand. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.

T: Add R to your mana pool.
R,T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.

Come oooooooon Flamekin walker. Preferably with a Sneak Attack ability.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
ftfy

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That's a neat card that could show up in a future set with a tribal bend

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

That's a neat card that could show up in a future set with a tribal bend

i'm pretty sure the name means it can only show up in return to lorwyn/shadowmoor, not that i'd complain

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ashling as a Planeswalker? :aaaaa:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The red walker is going to be a new character, at least so long as the white walker is The Lithomancer which is pretty certain now.
They did a say the new walker would be from an old plane so a flamekin walker is quite possible.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

i'm pretty sure the name means it can only show up in return to lorwyn/shadowmoor, not that i'd complain

Couldnt Flamekin live on a different plane? Art wise, its for sure Lorwyn-based. But with new art it could be some other plane that has fire people chilling.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Couldnt Flamekin live on a different plane? Art wise, its for sure Lorwyn-based. But with new art it could be some other plane that has fire people chilling.

I don't know, it just seems like a really setting specific kind of name. Guess it depends on whether wizards thinks flamekin is the name of the fire people race or just the Lorwyn tribe.

Kinda like how cat people are leonin, but they might have a different tribe name on each plane (I don't know if this is true, I am bad at lore stuff)

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Flamekin are weird because they also appear on Ravnica, however when they first appeared they had a hyphen in the word "Flame-kin".

forbidden lesbian posted:

Kinda like how cat people are leonin, but they might have a different tribe name on each plane (I don't know if this is true, I am bad at lore stuff)

Nah, this is pretty legit. Alaran leonin are called Nacatl but they also use the term leonin themselves.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like getting a mix of Magic locations in these supplemental products, and plane-shifted reprints too like Rout and Decimate from Conspiracy, so I am all for Lorwyn cameos in this set.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm just being hopeful for a cool mono color tribal land cycle in a future standard. But it's unlikely. :/

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm just being hopeful for a cool mono color tribal land cycle in a future standard. But it's unlikely. :/

I think they were mostly filling in a missing blank with that one. All of the Lorwyn tribes got a land in their colors but the Elementals were a weird one because they were simultaneously a 5-color tribe (Greater Elementals) and a monocolor one (Flamekin). The five-color one is Primal Beyond but in a straight Flamekin build it's worse than Mountain.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

print a Murmuring Bosk cycle in Fate Reforged, watch as all hell breaks loose with manabases. :flashfap:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 29, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sarmhan posted:

The red walker is going to be a new character, at least so long as the white walker is The Lithomancer which is pretty certain now.
They did a say the new walker would be from an old plane so a flamekin walker is quite possible.

Is The Lithomancer confirmed to be white? I would have assumed anyone called the Lithomancer, a literal rock wizard, would be red. (Though I could see white for the binding stuff, I don't think that was all her department - though she did make the hedrons, didn't she?)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Prism posted:

Is The Lithomancer confirmed to be white? I would have assumed anyone called the Lithomancer, a literal rock wizard, would be red. (Though I could see white for the binding stuff, I don't think that was all her department - though she did make the hedrons, didn't she?)

I mean, there's plenty of rock spells in white.

But it could probably be red. But then, white is known for banishing poo poo/imprisonment spells.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

haha what the hell is this

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Prism posted:

Isn't it confirmed that the lithomancer is Nahiri the Kor binding mage they've been talking about in Uncharted Realms lately?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm pretty sure they can't since they made from mana like angels and demons.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pyronic posted:

Isn't it confirmed that the lithomancer is Nahiri the Kor binding mage they've been talking about in Uncharted Realms lately?

This is confirmed. What I want to know is why exactly anyone thinks the White Planeswalker Commander is Nahiri?

Was something posted somewhere that implied that and I just haven't seen it yet or is it just rampant speculation?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

^^ Tell me another walker you 'know, but not by name'?

Prism posted:

I think the white deck's name "Forged in Stone" is a nod to its general, the rock wizard, Nahiri the Lithmancer. Makes too much sense, I wanted Serra too :smith:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

This is confirmed. What I want to know is why exactly anyone thinks the White Planeswalker Commander is Nahiri?

Was something posted somewhere that implied that and I just haven't seen it yet or is it just rampant speculation?
1: One of the planeswalkers is "a character you know but maybe not by name", and the 3 slots for known characters are all taken. This leaves the previous option and a new character for white and red
2: The white deck is called "Forged in Stone"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

I think Maro said one is a planeswalker we know of but haven't seen before, which strongly points to the lithomancer. We know of his existence but haven't seen him in a set in any form before.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The answer is clear to us.

Marit Lage became a walker.

And is white aligned.

Or something.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
When did we get the deck names?

Seriously I am out of it on this one. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

jassi007 posted:

I think Maro said one is a planeswalker we know of but haven't seen before, which strongly points to the lithomancer. We know of his existence but haven't seen him in a set in any form before.

The Lithomancer is a woman. We know very little about her aside from the fact that she is a Kor, she sealed Ob Nixilis without much effort (according to him anyway), and helped the (other?) 2 not-total-idiot Planeswalkers seal the Eldrazi.

As posted above, we also know her name is Nahiri.

• Locked thread