Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Butt Ghost posted:

I was feeling pretty good tonight, so I decided to read some more Berserk.

Did Guts just get loving raped?

Depends on how you look at it:

Gambino and the fine black gentleman made a successful business transaction and brofisted to seal the deal :haw: :respek: :pedo:

Guts however, not being privy to this price on his free time, experienced a life-changing event that sort of ruined him as a human being for a few decades rounded up or down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If nothing, the manga is equal opportunity on the rape.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Two chapters behind, caught up in 10 minutes. I need to stop reading this manga.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Butt Ghost posted:

I was feeling pretty good tonight, so I decided to read some more Berserk.

Did Guts just get loving raped?

And now you know why he doesn't care for being touched, even by people who cannot reasonably harm him, like Puck.

This series, huh?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Someone once told me Berserk was poorly written garbage.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

And now you know why he doesn't care for being touched, even by people who cannot reasonably harm him, like Puck.

ADULT ATTACK!?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Butt Ghost posted:

Someone once told me Berserk was poorly written garbage.

Sounds like you were talking to an idiot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Berserk is neither especially poorly nor especially well-written, and its best-written part ended a long-rear end time ago.

The question is more how anyone could look at any given Berserk panel from the last decade and go "yeah, the writing is definitely the main reason this comic exists."

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It feels pretty well written to me. Or at least well-planned out. While I read it I got the sense that Miura has a very clear idea of where he wants to the story to be going and what he needs to set up to get it there, it really doesn't feel like he's making it up as it goes. It has a very deliberate pacing to it, people are always getting mad about how long Guts & co. are on the boat & how each new issue isn't them getting to the island but it feels like he's doing it on purpose. Not because he can't think of what to do or because he's putting it off, it feels very much to me that the trip was supposed to take this long and that was never supposed to be any shorter or longer. When they do arrive at Elfheim it will be exactly when the Miura intended them to be and exactly when the story needs them to be. Miura obviously puts a lot of work into his art, but I think he also puts just as much into the story itself, and I think Berserk is better for it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The pacing is pretty solid when you're reading the chapters back to back. It's less solid when delivered month to month and loving terrible when delivered year to year.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The pacing is pretty solid when you're reading the chapters back to back. It's less solid when delivered month to month and loving terrible when delivered year to year.

Mr. Roderick's wild ride never ends

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If Guts doesn't sacrifice his friends to Behelit already I'm going to scream!!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Guts can sacrifice Griffith? That would be an odd twist.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I asked myself ( probably others). Which manga will finish first?

Berserk or Hunter x Hunter? I wonder who has taken more breaks. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing in Berserk that made me question if he was making it up as he went along was the whole fight with the sea god. I can't think of what made that + the mermaids relevant to the overarching plot.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Something had to happen on the way to elf island. And Guts' party had to be alerted to the changes in the world. And Guts had to kill some poo poo. It served several important narrative functions! :v:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Don't worry, in two years we'll finally find out if Rickert was REALLY mad, or just KIND of mad... or maybe he's not that mad and changed his mind? Berserk is a rollercoaster.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Shindragon posted:

Berserk feels like it's entering its final arcs (it's just taking forever to get through them). HxH still has a lot to go especially considering (current manga spoilers) they just started what seems to be a massive new arc and with most of the Kurapika stuff still unresolved . Barring the sad possibility that one of them dies I think Berserk will end first (but it will still take forever getting there).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Berserk feels like it's entering its final arcs (it's just taking forever to get through them). HxH still has a lot to go especially considering (current manga spoilers) they just started what seems to be a massive new arc and with most of the Kurapika stuff still unresolved . Barring the sad possibility that one of them dies I think Berserk will end first (but it will still take forever getting there).

Pretty sure Muira recently said he was like 50-60% done with Beserk, so I really don't expect the series to end unless he gets bored enough to have Guts suddenly return to his home planet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was more like 70% and it was a couple years ago.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

so he's homing in on 71% then

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

dis astranagant posted:

Considering he's gone from a volume every 6 months or so for the majority of his run, to a volume every year to now a volume every year and a half or more, this doesn't change the general prognosis.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, if he was talking page count we have another 20+ years at the current release schedule.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, if he was talking page count we have another 20+ years at the current release schedule.

Good enough for me. If Miura has to wait for Guin Saga to end (not even the author dying could stop it) so can we wait for berserk (and hopefully Miura won't die at freaking 56, like Kaoru Kurimoto)

Edit: Holy poo poo! I didn't know Miura is the designer of the Gackpoid, ahaha, he's such a nerd.

I should have noticed.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 29, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shindragon posted:

What a wager between Berserk or A Song of Ice and Fire? I wonder who's more likely to die before finishing their series, Miura or GRRM?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I'll take the fat American beardo to die over the Japanese man.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
They should get together and have fun at popular amusement establishments so as to bond.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really don't want to see what the result of GRRM and Miura would be. In either direction.

Now, the people who do production design for GoT, on the other hand...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Anyway as Conan was born on a battlefield and everyone around knew that to be an omen he was fated to a life of war, which was pretty accurate. Kentarou Miura was obviously at least a little influenced by Howard. By Guts' birth, he was not only born on a battlefield but also from a corpse. I think him being picked up by a mercenary and his adopted mother dieing early is just recreating the kind of environment Conan grew up in and trying to make it worse any little way it can to forge a better badass. The peculiar nature of his birth is just a sign of what was to come, and who he is.

Dammit, I only just noticed the Macbeth parallels :downs:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
nvm

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Lamebot posted:

They should get together and have fun at popular amusement establishments so as to bond.

They decide to get a change of pace and take over each other's work. No one notices because the workflow remains the same.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I remember that part of The Eclipse!

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the logic of this world has come to an end

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
All within the realm of Causality.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
That new chapter sure was intense

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

apple posted:

That new chapter sure was intense

Gape into the abyss, and the abyss gapes into you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KaneTW posted:

Gape into the abyss, and the abyss gapes into you.

Void's true identity.