Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

just died from getting hit by a loving truck, just like Suzuka's ex-boyfriend

You know, having both her daughter and her first love die in exactly the same way is pretty loving harsh. To be fair though, I just laughed at this weeks Fuuka Chapter. I remembered how angry I was with KNIM chapter 100 where they cut to Kazama's funeral and I just couldn't take it seriously at all. Seo REALLY enjoys winding people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blhue posted:

Here's a new chapter of Hajiotsu, in which some story actually happens.

I love when a chapter stars the best characters.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FiftySeven posted:

You know, having both her daughter and her first love die in exactly the same way is pretty loving harsh. To be fair though, I just laughed at this weeks Fuuka Chapter. I remembered how angry I was with KNIM chapter 100 where they cut to Kazama's funeral and I just couldn't take it seriously at all. Seo REALLY enjoys winding people up.

I can see where Yuzuki got it from :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This chapter of Kimi ni Todoke is just for you, Sakurazuka :v:

Serious talk KnT has been kind of mediocre for a while. Biggest mistake it made IMO was trying to pair up Sawako's friends. I just can't bring myself to care about any of the non-Sawako drama.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't read it yet and suddenly I don't want to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I, however, like Ayane and Chizu, so I'm fine with this. It's not really a good series to read with month to month gaps between chapters, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

both guy and girl must give up on their futures and desires and goals because abortion is evil.

There's this unsettling theme I've seen in many manga/live-action dramas where people decide that getting an abortion would be wrong and choose to have babies as teenagers/young adults.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The worst part is that it's literally totally explicit that they have to give up all their desires and goals. Suzuka wanted to be a runner and do awesome track stuff and the end is like 'well, guess I'm not doing that now because I am a mommy' and they both give up on college and running and all that poo poo.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Mors Rattus posted:

The worst part is that it's literally totally explicit that they have to give up all their desires and goals. Suzuka wanted to be a runner and do awesome track stuff and the end is like 'well, guess I'm not doing that now because I am a mommy' and they both give up on college and running and all that poo poo.

Totally worth it though since their daughter lives a long healthy life :shepicide:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just blitzed through all of Horimiya and Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai... goddamnit, this thread is just going to make my shoujo/josei/romance manga addiction worse, isn't it?

IMHO, Horimiya had a good beginning and the latest chapters have been mildly disappointing due to the DRAMA!

I prefer josei>shoujo because well, drat, you know what I don't care if the MC finally dates sempai or not after 100+ chapters of waffling to nowhere.

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, what?

No idea who this manga-ka is but I love it when a OK story suddenly crashes and burns because of reality. Although, in that particular instance I think it's just dumb :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

This chapter of Kimi ni Todoke is just for you, Sakurazuka :v:

Serious talk KnT has been kind of mediocre for a while. Biggest mistake it made IMO was trying to pair up Sawako's friends. I just can't bring myself to care about any of the non-Sawako drama.

Honestly, KnT's biggest problem is that it's gone on too long, and that's coming from someone who has only started reading it in the part few months. There's only so much drama you can wring out of something before enough enough is enough and you just don't care any more, which is where I am with the Ayane/Kent thing. Not liking Kent at all doesn't really help matters, the only thing that he's good for is blocking whatever weirdness is going on with Ayane and Pin.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Huh. Somebody has started updating Five again?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly, KnT's biggest problem is that it's gone on too long, and that's coming from someone who has only started reading it in the part few months. There's only so much drama you can wring out of something before enough enough is enough and you just don't care any more, which is where I am with the Ayane/Kent thing. Not liking Kent at all doesn't really help matters, the only thing that he's good for is blocking whatever weirdness is going on with Ayane and Pin.
At one point of time (hi first page of thread) I would've said KnT was the best shoujo currently in serialization. Before that, it would've been Skip Beat which I haven't read in years because it got dumb. I'm really hoping third time's the charm with Taiyou no Ie, which is my current favorite :ohdear:

At least Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun had the decency to go out at its peak.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Huh. Somebody has started updating Five again?

quote:

Hina has repeatedly transferred schools due to her father's job, and has always dreamed of a normal high school life. At her new school, however, she finds that her class is comprised solely of guys! On top of that, five mischievous boys from her class have taken a liking to her...?!
Is that the title of the ln?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In other less annoying (but also kinda blander) shoujo manga news there's a new chapter of Hajiotsu out.

Nate RFB posted:

At one point of time (hi first page of thread) I would've said KnT was the best shoujo currently in serialization. Before that, it would've been Skip Beat which I haven't read in years because it got dumb. I'm really hoping third time's the charm with Taiyou no Ie, which is my current favorite :ohdear:

At least Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun had the decency to go out at its peak.

Yeah, TnK was pretty great and didn't outstay its welcome. I've not tried Taiyou no Ie yet, don't know if I have the heart for another potentially long running series. I've been plodding away at Kuragehime for a while but it's really not doing it for me for some reason, it's not bad but it's not the sort of thing that keeps me reading one more chapter even though I have to be up for work in six hours either.

VVVV Yeah, okay, I chance my opinion to this.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 28, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tnk should have gone onto the teased adult series actually

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Davincie posted:

tnk should have gone onto the teased adult series actually

10/10 I'd follow it as a josei series and I wanted to finally meet Mitty's super successful mother.

Anyone else this it was weird how Mitty ended up marrying Haru? IDK but I thought the % of HS students marrying who they dated back then is fairly low unless it was a small town? Yeah, yeah, I know it's a manga series

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it's just an anime/manga trope but given that as a general rule there's pressure for people marry younger (or at least there is for women) in Japan, it probably happens fairly often too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it's just an anime/manga trope but given that as a general rule there's pressure for people marry younger (or at least there is for women) in Japan, it probably happens fairly often too.

True, someday I gotta see if I find any peer reviewed papers about my related manga/anime interests just for fun :v:

A part of is just my Americanness confusing the hell out of me when I read stories based on other overseas countries. Typically, I assume for anyone considering a high profile job/career track tend to marry and/or have children later in life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

10/10 I'd follow it as a josei series and I wanted to finally meet Mitty's super successful mother.

Anyone else this it was weird how Mitty ended up marrying Haru? IDK but I thought the % of HS students marrying who they dated back then is fairly low unless it was a small town? Yeah, yeah, I know it's a manga series

You see, in Japan life ends after high school. So if you haven't found the love of your life by the end of high school, you're doomed to either never marry, be the wife of a salary-man who is cheating on you, or be the person the salary-man is cheating with.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

koukou debut had a cool (maybe??) sequel in college but it never got translated and i've never seen the official translations in the wild

coathat
May 21, 2007

There putting that in the new 3 in 1 editions I think.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

You see, in Japan life ends after high school. So if you haven't found the love of your life by the end of high school, you're doomed to either never marry, be the wife of a salary-man who is cheating on you, or be the person the salary-man is cheating with.

does japan still compare women to christmas cakes?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So thanks for the recs guys and I'll be checking out RR next week when I get some money but one more quick question. Are there any actual ongoing shoujo licensed by Viz? From what I saw, it was just a lot of completed series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

does japan still compare women to christmas cakes?

it's actually an accurate comparison, as i only ever have a women once a year at most and become fat as soon as I do.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what about leaving Japan after HS and having cool adventures?! Surely, someone has considered that before.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alder posted:

Wait, what about leaving Japan after HS and having cool adventures?! Surely, someone has considered that before.
Outside Japan? You mean where all the gai(koku)jin are?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That doesn't sound normal at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alder posted:

Not really. Sure it's pretty rare, but I can believe it would happen to the two of them. Had they actually gotten together earlier and not let out their grievances and problems then it probably wouldn't have happened, but the two of them matured and grew a lot as persons together during the manga.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

moyashimon is a seinen romcom but they do have adventures in france in it and the characters are college age. its also very good and after its 2 anime seasons ended no one ever translated the manga, even official translstions ended during a part in the first season

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IMO there's no reason to read Moyashimon when Silver Spoon exists. It will forever just be "that other farm manga with like a billion fetishes".

As for the HS thing I think it's just more of a matter of most romances taking place there (because of demographics) rather than some sort of social commentary. Whether it's high school or college it might feel sort of annoying to invest 10+ volumes on a couple getting together/dating only to have it handwaved away at the end. Paradise Kiss got away with it because (if I remember correctly, since it has been ages) it did a fairly good job detailing why the relationship wouldn't work out in the lead-up to the finale.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 29, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Paradise Kiss got away with it because (if I remember correctly, since it has been ages) it did a fairly good job detailing why the relationship wouldn't work out in the lead-up to the finale.

I know some reviewers disliked ParaKiss's ending but for me it was refreshing. I got tired of the whole WE'RE TOGETHER FOREVER trope after reading 30 vol of shoujo. Still looking for a good josei which takes place in college and/or working life.

Except no OL romances please.

So far I've read:

Shitsuren Chocolatier: Story of a man who happens to be a Chocolatier and obsesses over his ex-GF in his free time.

Golondrina: Story follows Chica and her progress to become a bullfighter.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Story of a flower shop owner who struggles to move on from her late husband.

Mizutama Puzzle: Older woman meets younger guy and they find the true meaning of life. Actually this is high on my reading list but no one is scanlating after Ch2 and I'm sad.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Alder posted:

I know some reviewers disliked ParaKiss's ending but for me it was refreshing. I got tired of the whole WE'RE TOGETHER FOREVER trope after reading 30 vol of shoujo. Still looking for a good josei which takes place in college and/or working life.

Except no OL romances please.

So far I've read:

Shitsuren Chocolatier: Story of a man who happens to be a Chocolatier and obsesses over his ex-GF in his free time.

Golondrina: Story follows Chica and her progress to become a bullfighter.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Story of a flower shop owner who struggles to move on from her late husband.

Mizutama Puzzle: Older woman meets younger guy and they find the true meaning of life. Actually this is high on my reading list but no one is scanlating after Ch2 and I'm sad.

Kimi wa Pet - I read this a long time ago so I don't remember much, but it's about a journalist who takes in a college age guy as a pet. I avoided it for years because of that premise, but remember liking it.

Cheese in the Trap - Ongoing web manhwa. It's been mentioned here a few times and is great. Takes place in college, main character gains the attention of a rich probable sociopath. Seems to be approaching a conclusion, but the scans are behind: http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html

Futago - About two fraternal twin sisters in their 20s. One is a writer and one a housewife. Still ongoing, and looks like chapters are coming out about once every 6 months, so you may want to wait on that.

Mizutama puzzle is only 2 chapters long (what's scanned so far is just the first chapter). If you like Hidaka Shoko and are ok with BL, I recommend Hana wa Saku ka. Volume 1 is coming out in English next month as Does the Flower Blossom? It's a 30-something salaryman and a 20-something art student and is very slow burn.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Alder posted:

&- and -: A nurse opens up a nail salon on the side and tries to juggle both careers while falling in love with an older doctor and being pursued by an old college friend

Ane no Kekkon - 40 year old single woman meets a former classmate, who's grown handsome

Cousin - Overweight girl graduates high school and starts working at a video store; meanwhile, her cousin is becoming a famous model.

Otoko no Issho - A woman's grandmother dies, so she moves to the country to take care of the house, where she meets an older man who had a mysterious relationship with her grandmother

Sekine-kun no Koi - From the same mangaka as Natsyuki Rendezvous. Popular but emotionally empty man meets a woman who teaches him how to knit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ojojojo 26 (and 26.5 after it)

Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Still this has essentially turned into Everyone Needs A Hug: The Manga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ojojojo is great, even the drama is low key and easy going. Also the art is pretty good, especially for a 4-koma, I love the sketchy style that the friend is drawn in whenever she's angsting about stuff.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@ Kusaru: Unfortunately, BL is always hit or miss because they tend to go in a weird melodramatic direction. At least the characters look somewhat different though vs just a hairstyle change. CiTT is a fun webtoon.

@ jackofarcades: Thanks will check out the recommendations for out of the ordinary settings.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Davincie posted:

moyashimon is a seinen romcom but they do have adventures in france in it and the characters are college age. its also very good and after its 2 anime seasons ended no one ever translated the manga, even official translstions ended during a part in the first season

That's apparent because it's hard as hell to translate. You have to know Japanese *and* be reasonably conversant with some level of microbiology.

That's a pretty narrow slice of people.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Alder posted:

My sister in law did this, she ended up marrying my brother AT THE RIPE OLD AGE OF 28. But ya the finding love in high school thing is greatly exaggerated lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhprCs6q2A

Kamisama Hajimemashita season 2 PV. Oh my god I cannot wait to see Akura-ou animated! <3

Sky of Snow translation's FB page has their WIP translations up in the gallery. They're currently translating chapter 119.