Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do any of you remember being kids at all? :stare: The message that kids will see isn't "lol, don't take your medication."

Don't you remember how intensely frustrating it is to be a child? Don't you remember the frustration when you know things that are real, and true, and important, but no one will listen because you're "just a kid"? Shush now, the grown-ups are talking. Don't you remember being little and someone would ask a question or make a statement, and your reply would get all the adults tittering, but no one would explain why? "'Find x.' 'It's right there, sir. It's not lost.'" These kids are misfits, not taken seriously by anyone, but today they are not wrong. I think that would ring true for a lot of kids watching.

Kids are also going to recognise Little Red Riding Hood right away, and be expecting a wolf to show up. They get the Enchanted Forest. They have no problem with literal fairies glowing and sparkling while doing impossible things. Those are just different kinds of wonders.

Do the magic forest fairies that fight fire with oxygen make sense? Not really, but Doctor Who has always leaned more towards fantasy than hard science fiction, so it doesn't bother me too much that they didn't really cover up the "litterally magic" with a good coat of :techno: this time. It's not going to be one of my favorite episodes, there are a lot of lazy bits stringing together the pretty bits, but I think if I'd seen it when I was 8 years old I would have thought it was beautiful and wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

docbeard posted:

I think it's honestly better when they don't really address "so why doesn't anyone remember the Yetis in the Underground", because there's never going to be a satisfying answer, and the appeal of contemporary Earth Doctor Who stories will always be "what if this happened to us", not "what if this happened to a futuristic techno-society".

Seeing as you've used that example, I should point out that Seven actually did answer that question. :colbert:

quote:

Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Gonz posted:

I didn't look. However, the store itself is IN a desert. Does that count?

OMG, you've already been flattened. No wonder you're seeing shrunken TARDIS's. it makes perfect sense.

Now I'm sorry, I truly am. But any information you can give us will help us save the next one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

dogs named Charlie posted:

Doctor Who apparently needs some sort of MST3K style "it's just a show, relax" disclaimer at the opening. I've been watching this show for years, I've even watched some of the early stuff before it was canceled. Every tread I've ever seen on here has been a bunch of making GBS threads on absolutely everything, back handed compliments on the perfect episodes. Like, before Kill The Moon I saw bitching that the new series never deals with the philosophical questions created by time travel. Then all you did was poo poo on Kill The Moon because of consistency reasons. If you're sober enough to care about that poo poo you're too sober because like MST3K this poo poo is best viewed high or drunk because it's a British children's drama. Just because it's live action doesn't mean it's held to the same high regard as whatever it is constructive adults watch in the prime time slot.

MST3K is great sober, and man you're really patronising towards children. "Anything made for children must be poo poo" is a really terrible attitude.

Also Doctor Who is the programme in the prime time slot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Setting a story in a city and having it be essentially empty of people is weird to the point that it's actually an interesting concept in its own right.

It's happened at least twice in Doctor Who that I can think of off the top of my head, The Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's happened at least twice in Doctor Who that I can think of off the top of my head, The Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

Also a plot point in "Voyage of the Damned" because most Londoners got canny to the fact London kept getting attacked at Christmas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoctorWhat posted:

If he gives a single episode an A+, it'll be Vincent. And he won't be totally wrong.

Vincent is, on rewatch, about 2/3 of a full episode stretched into a full length one.

It's a very good 2/3, but I feel like more could have been elaborated on (and not just cutting the monster).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MST3K is great sober, and man you're really patronising towards children. "Anything made for children must be poo poo" is a really terrible attitude.

Also Doctor Who is the programme in the prime time slot.

Yeah. I mean, different things will appeal to children than to adults, and things important to adults might not matter to kids, and vice versa. A show like Doctor Who, which is meant to appeal to both audiences, has a tricky tightrope to walk sometimes as a result. But, if anything, it's probably more important rather than less that children's entertainment be well done.

The idea of scientific accuracy on Doctor Who is kind of ludicrous, but not because it's a children's family show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gonz posted:

Was at a home decor store yesterday.

Oh, the things you can see at a home decor store.

The windows are all wrong!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Angela Christine posted:

Do any of you remember being kids at all? :stare: The message that kids will see isn't "lol, don't take your medication."

Don't you remember how intensely frustrating it is to be a child? Don't you remember the frustration when you know things that are real, and true, and important, but no one will listen because you're "just a kid"? Shush now, the grown-ups are talking. Don't you remember being little and someone would ask a question or make a statement, and your reply would get all the adults tittering, but no one would explain why? "'Find x.' 'It's right there, sir. It's not lost.'" These kids are misfits, not taken seriously by anyone, but today they are not wrong. I think that would ring true for a lot of kids watching.

If they had actually taken this tack, yes, it would have come across better. Just like throwing random :techno: into a fantasy story suspends disbelief when they could have gotten away with "maybe it's magic, maybe it's science the Doctor doesn't understand yet", having imaginative, open-minded kids would have smoothed things over. But, with the exception of Maebh, we get TV's standard "snarky, mini-adults." When they're the ones stressing that Maebh needs her medication, it reinforces the sense of "no, she seriously has a real problem, what the hell is wrong with you," making the Doctor come across as criminally negligent at best.

Like a lot of the episode's problems, this would have been helped with better commitment to the premise and tone and could have been fixed with another draft (having just one of the kids agree with the Doctor for instance, or having the adults be the ones pushing for the medication or BETTER YET not including medication at all and just saying she'd been "off" since her sister's disappearance/always had strange ideas/been a psychic conduit/whatever).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I kind of feel like Toxx is going to dislike the Moffat years given his view point of the show. If he gives Unicorn and the Wasp an A then he's going to loving hate the angsty poo poo that Moffat vomits all over the show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

After The War posted:

If they had actually taken this tack, yes, it would have come across better. Just like throwing random :techno: into a fantasy story suspends disbelief when they could have gotten away with "maybe it's magic, maybe it's science the Doctor doesn't understand yet", having imaginative, open-minded kids would have smoothed things over. But, with the exception of Maebh, we get TV's standard "snarky, mini-adults." When they're the ones stressing that Maebh needs her medication, it reinforces the sense of "no, she seriously has a real problem, what the hell is wrong with you," making the Doctor come across as criminally negligent at best.

Like a lot of the episode's problems, this would have been helped with better commitment to the premise and tone and could have been fixed with another draft (having just one of the kids agree with the Doctor for instance, or having the adults be the ones pushing for the medication or BETTER YET not including medication at all and just saying she'd been "off" since her sister's disappearance/always had strange ideas/been a psychic conduit/whatever).

Yeah, it definitely could have used another round of polish. I guess they used up all the polish on the previous two episodes.

Edit: I really think they were going for a "listen to kids" angle, especially with the nonsense of letting the kids write the warning message to not hurt the trees. Too bad that a much better warning message would have been to tell everyone go go hide in their basements because there was about to be a catastrophic solar flare. :shrug:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 28, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

That's definitely what they were going for and I think they succeeded for 99 percent of the population, but there is a very small contingent of children who may have a family member literally taking medication for schizophrenia for whom it is easy to misinterpret the message as a bit more direct and literal.

For me, I think what didn't work as well was creating the alien atmosphere in an earth city. It was little things like the way the people burning the trees yelled at Clara and the children and refused to answer their questions, the way that the Doctor was supposed to be afraid of a tiger such that he needed Danny's help. It just made the episode feel a bit weird. In general, I think I just never felt like anybody was in any real danger, which is sometimes okay, but I think the episode wanted me to feel a bit frightened for the children.

I did really enjoy the talk between Danny and Clara, as well as the talk between Clara and the Doctor when is about to give up (even if it stretched my credibility a bit that this particular crisis would be the one to make him give up on the earth). I like Capaldi's Doctor a lot better recently, and particularly in this episode.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

RodShaft posted:

Yeah... When I was a kid.

This bears an uncomfortable resemblance to my work desk right now...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

In an interview on a Canadian telethon that was hosted by Bob McGrath, Snuffy's performer, Martin P. Robinson, revealed that Snuffy was finally introduced to the main human cast mainly due to a string of high profile and sometimes graphic stories of pedophilia and sexual abuse of children that had been aired on shows such as 60 Minutes and 20/20. The writers felt that by having the adults refuse to believe Big Bird despite the fact that he was telling the truth, they were scaring children into thinking that their parents would not believe them if they had been sexually abused and that they would just be better off remaining silent.

Congrats to Moffat & the team for putting less thought into their writing than the crew of Sesame Street.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cerv posted:

Congrats to Moffat & the team for putting less thought into their writing than the crew of Sesame Street.

To be fair, the crew of Sesame Street actually puts a lot of thought into their writing, which is probably part of why the show has survived so long across so many generations of young children.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

That's not the low bar you seem to be implying

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Doctor Who ran from 1963 to 1989 before being cancelled. Sesame Street started in 1969, and has somehow managed not to be cancelled yet. Doctor Who had a 50th bang up for when it started running. Sesame Street is a few short years away from 50 actual years straight producing programming. Doctor Who, and most of human civilization, wishes it was as competent and caring as the team at Sesame Street.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, the crew of Sesame Street actually puts a lot of thought into their writing, which is probably part of why the show has survived so long across so many generations of young children.

I'm pretty sure Sesame Street has also had actual child psychologists and other education consultants involved in its production for (at least) a large part of its broadcast history. I don't know if Doctor Who does or has as well.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not the low bar you seem to be implying

hadn't meant to imply it was a low bar. chose my words terribly!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Sesame Street is also, unambiguously, inarguably, solely, a children's show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure Sesame Street has also had actual child psychologists and other education consultants involved in its production for (at least) a large part of its broadcast history. I don't know if Doctor Who does or has as well.

It had Robert Holmes. Whose mantra was "let's scare the little buggers."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did Dark Eyes 3 get delayed? I could have sworn Big Finish's site originally said October. Whatever. It gives me time to relisten to 1 and 2 again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

qntm posted:

Sesame Street is also, unambiguously, inarguably, solely, a children's show.

Agreed. It's also loving fantastic.

Not implying you were saying otherwise, but I wanted to pile in on the chorus of praise for that brilliant, brilliant show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Century Falls is explicitly a children's programme and it's great.

Shockingly, just like programming for adults, programming for children can be LCD or a bit more esoteric.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Amendment to the first law of Doctor Who fans: Everyone agrees that Sesame Street is great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

It had Robert Holmes. Whose mantra was "let's scare the little buggers."

Holmes also weighed in on the "childrens show vs family show" thing; he was adamant that Doctor Who was aimed at "intelligent 14-year olds", which seems about right.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did Dark Eyes 3 get delayed? I could have sworn Big Finish's site originally said October. Whatever. It gives me time to relisten to 1 and 2 again.

It may have been, but it's been Nov for a long time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Guys, I think I might be hosed in the "guess what Occ thinks" contest. I'm pretty sure I wasn't thinking and predicted and A for the series finale, even though knowing Oxx the 10 Realdoll will completely ruin the episode for him. I have no idea why I guessed the grades I did for any episodes after like, The Poison Sky.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The finale looks like it's shaping up to be as good as this episode was. I don't care about that lady in paradise or whatever at all.

Also they should probably stop with the "but we've been to the future" "yeah but that was a bullshit future we're doomed this time" bit they keep doing it and it keeps not being doomed. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Metal Loaf posted:

There was one completely finished episode of Sesame Street that was shelved, because they couldn't make the subject matter work in a way that didn't traumatize their test audiences. Divorce is apparently too difficult a subject for even Sesame Street to handle.

But, I'm pretty sure it does officially make them the anti-Doctor Who.

RBA Starblade posted:

The finale looks like it's shaping up to be as good as this episode was. I don't care about that lady in paradise or whatever at all.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the finale, because I've always found that, at the very least, Moffat does good finales (whether the rest of the season is set up in a way that works for them is another question).

Plus, I'm happy to have a finale that's focused on the Cybermen. I like them more than the Daleks, even if they have difficulty with their potential.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was a big fan of Moffat's first finale, but they got weaker when he started cramming them into one episode. Name Of The Doctor had a good atmosphere but the story was a mess, and the less said about Time Of The Doctor the better. Hopefully with more room to breathe this one will come close to the generally decent standard of this series so far.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speaking finales, I honestly do not remember a thing that happened in The Wedding of River Song. In my memory, it's just a string of unrelated scenes and zero context that ends on a pyramid? There's eyepatches or something too.

That was a bad episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Speaking finales, I honestly do not remember a thing that happened in The Wedding of River Song. In my memory, it's just a string of unrelated scenes and zero context that ends on a pyramid? There's eyepatches or something too.

That was a bad episode.

Pretty much. The first episode of Season Six held so much promise too. I mean, it was immediately kissed away in the first few seconds of the second episode, but still...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Pretty much. The first episode of Season Six held so much promise too. I mean, it was immediately kissed away in the first few seconds of the second episode, but still...

See, I actually enjoyed Season Six a lot minus AGMGTW, LKH, and TWORS. The first two episodes set up a decent plot thread (only to fall to poo poo mid-season), but the rest contains some of my favorite episodes of the revival (the ganger two-parter, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

See, I actually enjoyed Season Six a lot minus AGMGTW, LKH, and TWORS. The first two episodes set up a decent plot thread (only to fall to poo poo mid-season), but the rest contains some of my favorite episodes of the revival (the ganger two-parter, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex).

Those last two are really good, but I didn't like the Ganger two parter at all.

Also, on rewatch, knowing that the Crack is in the Doctor's room is silly as gently caress and makes no sense to his character at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still get a kick out of the fact that the majority of The Wedding of River Song is the Doctor having already solved the problem and having to deal with the complications that have arisen from his idiot friends trying to help and just constantly making things worse. :allears:

There's no excusing that loving scene with the skulls eating Mark Gatiss though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only thing I remember from the season 6 finale is the astronaut resolution, and I thought that was pretty cool.

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, on rewatch, knowing that the Crack is in the Doctor's room is silly as gently caress and makes no sense to his character at all.
Eh, the crack represents the possibility of his true life partner dying and taking the whole of time and space with it, it seems like a pretty reasonable fear.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There's no excusing that loving scene with the skulls eating Mark Gatiss though.

I don't remember this at all. Probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The only thing I remember from the season 6 finale is the astronaut resolution, and I thought that was pretty cool.
Eh, the crack represents the possibility of his true life partner dying and taking the whole of time and space with it, it seems like a pretty reasonable fear.

Reasonable? Yeah sure. But the strength of that scene before they explicitly showed it was that it was up to each individual viewer to imagine what it could have been and that gave it a universal strength that no reveal could ever hope to match.

marktheando posted:

I don't remember this at all. Probably for the best.

I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry.

• Locked thread