Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

systemd's PID1 isn't monolithic and systemd is a set of co-operating executables (I restart journald and logind all the time during development, without taking down PID1).

Keep the systemd unit file format, but split pid1 into the following chunks:

one chunk (pid1) to wait() for everything that dies and do nothing else

one chunk ("rc") to launch everything in a directory

one chunk to spawn a child and pipe its stdout to some sort of logging service

one chunk to do what runit does: spawn a child and listen on a control pipe in /run that allows the admin to start/stop/reload the service, restart it if it dies but don't restart it if it dies too often. configure these using something declarative like a systemd unit file. make it create a cgroup, if you like

one chunk that is very simple and starts up rapidly that just listens on a socket or dbus name. when the first connection is received, spawn a child according to a declarative config file (again, unit file if you like) and hand off the fd using the systemd socket activation protocol

boom, modular co-operating processes that do everything that systemd does, and pid1 itself is like 20 lines of code because all it has to do is call wait() in a loop. so why not just structure systemd this way? systemd pid1 is extremely monolithic by comparison, the only justification i can find for that design is that aforementioned document that says "no really, one master process does actually need a 10,000 foot view of the entire cgroup hierarchy otherwise that hierarchy cannot be effectively managed". if you accept that then yeah the systemd pid1zilla is an acceptable logical outcome of that conclusion, seeing as cgroups are kind of systemd's thing and all. i'm not saying i don't accept it, i'm saying i'd like to see a much more precise justification than the handwaving they give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
mrdog was right

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
My answer depends on your answer to this question: what's the end goal of splitting the processes up?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I installed linux on my desktop. How do I shell? What does
code:
:(){ :|:& };:
do?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
or just use supervisord

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

keyvin posted:

I installed linux on my desktop. How do I shell? What does
code:
:(){ :|:& };:
do?

ask forkbomb i think she knows what that does, idk personally

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

one chunk to wait

one chunk to launch

one chunk to spawn

one chunk to do

one chunk that is very simple

boom

if you accept that

i don't accept it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

My answer depends on your answer to this question: what's the end goal of splitting the processes up?

so my system isn't unusable when pid 1 segfaults

(this happened to me last week. segfault on boot. why? i have no idea.)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
where we're going we dont need init systems (docker lol)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did anybody use lunix on the desktop yet itt

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

theadder posted:

did anybody use lunix on the desktop yet itt

I did. It has everything I need to do my computing like I did in 1998. Except for a paging file.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyvin posted:

I did. It has everything I need to do my computing like I did in 1998.

also known as, everything i need to do my computing, ever

not much has changed since 1998, my hardware has just gotten better. my environment would be substantially familiar to someone from 1988.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

where we're going we dont need init systems (docker lol)

docker is the new thing i guess

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'd take a screen shot to show you guys but I read ten guides on how to do it, they were all different, and none of them worked.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

same as the old thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

make it easier to replace bits and pieces of them 10 years down the line with whatever the latest hotness is that year.

tef dropped some serious loving wisdom in the pl thread that i think went tragically under-appreciated, which can be paraphrased as "don't design your software so that bits of it are easily re-usable, design your software so that bits of it are easily thrown away"

for example, if some other fashionable kernel supervision primitive comes along to replace cgroups, then in the fractured picture i painted above you only have to replace one chunk (the "runit+cgroups" chunk, which is still admittedly a fairly large chunk). but cgroups thread the core of systemd's being, you'd have to completely burn it to the ground and start anew before you can replace them with something better, and in the meantime people will say "well what's the big deal? systemd and cgroups have worked for me just fine for the last 10 years, and these scenarios you're presenting that expose cracks in the design and deficiencies in the model are just contrived edge cases that i can discount as not actually mattering in practice because *faaaaaaaaaart*, the design is actually perfect and cannot be improved upon in any way. ......... ok fine it's not perfect but it's like 90% perfect and fixing it isn't worth the hassle, don't fix what ain't broken" and drag their heels and propose frivolous General Resolutions for a tediously long time.

which is exactly what happened when systemd fought its bloody war of succession against upstart. and in ten years' time we're going to do it again.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

replace bits and pieces

with whatever the latest hotness is

bits of it are easily re-usable

bits of it are easily thrown away

completely burn it to the ground and start anew

well what's the big deal?

*faaaaaaaaaart*

fixing it isn't worth the hassle, don't fix what ain't broke

pram
Jun 10, 2001
theres nothing wrong with a loose collection of bash and perl scripts to start and stop everything ok

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I finally figured it out guys. xwd -root | convert - shot.png in this black box with text took the screen shot.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i have heard there is a "print screen" button on the keyboard OP

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow, desktop linnux. still looking horrific

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it could be worse, it could look like windows

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

it could be worse, it could look like OSX

pram
Jun 10, 2001

keyvin posted:

I finally figured it out guys. xwd -root | convert - shot.png in this black box with text took the screen shot.

lol 5

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im the

giant clock
icons with black backgrounds lol
iceweasel
fluffypony.nl irc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

theres nothing wrong with a loose collection of bash and perl scripts to start and stop everything ok

smf is the answer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this is incredible

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
does lvm still do that thing where if you create a raid with one version, then upgrade your lvm, it breaks the raid and you lose all your data?

also linux stymie you are wrong zfs owns the most

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it does feel like stepping into some kind of time warp where someone from 2003 is browsing the web and chatting about ponies

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

im the pizza cutter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also known as, everything i need to do my computing, ever

not much has changed since 1998, my hardware has just gotten better. my environment would be substantially familiar to someone from 1988.

this is why your opinions on desktop linux in 2014 are lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
whats up with the netflix man. i did all that pipelight stuff, changed browser UA, no worko. IDK brosephiroth. do i need make a VM ?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8Prlu3owc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Smythe posted:

whats up with the netflix man. i did all that pipelight stuff, changed browser UA, no worko. IDK brosephiroth. do i need make a VM ?

works for me natively in chrome with the changed ua.

edit: dev chrome iirc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it works in normal chrome with no extensions or UA hackery or any effort whatsoever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
YOU DARE INTRODUCE HOARD-WARE INTO A PRISTINE GNU/LINUX DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

keyvin posted:

use scrotum

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

IPvSH6T posted:

works for me natively in chrome with the changed ua.

edit: dev chrome iirc

pseudorandom name posted:

it works in normal chrome with no extensions or UA hackery or any effort whatsoever

hmm. thnx

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why not use launchd?

also does Linux support posix_spawn yet? how about fast non-copying secure IPC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

why not use launchd?

because linux is always playing catch-up to the worlds most advanced operating system