Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All you need to know about Ultron is that he's an out of control AI and he loving hates humans. He wants us all dead. I believe as far as out and out evil Marvel villains he has killed more individuals than any other baddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I built a jeep!

Now to shove an arduino in the fucker and let it smash into poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It wasn't my friend being fired :unsmith:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Tonight makes the second fire meeting in a row where we've been at the meeting and had to dive into the trucks and haul rear end to a wreck. Starting to think our meetings are cursed.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

My cat has cancer. It's going to kill him. gently caress.

Nobody told me grief felt like a kick in the stomach.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress OCTOBER

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

It wasn't my friend being fired :unsmith:

Just someone else's friend.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress OCTOBER

Yup.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress OCTOBER

Said it well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress 2014

ftfy

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I built a jeep!

Now to shove an arduino in the fucker and let it smash into poo poo.

I hope its rear end will survive the smashing. :ohdear:

keykey fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 29, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I gave serious thought to running with that to begin with. Probably should have, it's not like there's enough left of this year to redeem it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress 2014

ftfy

goddamn, this is the truth. 2014 can piss up a rope.

I did have a good weekend though, so that's nice. Officiated the poo poo out of that wedding, had fun at the reception and at the bar afterward, and reconnected with a friend over the last couple of days. I didn't know how much I actually missed her until we spent most of Sunday and Monday keeping each other company. She helped me sort some stuff out in my head and I feel a ton better about myself, so I'm really thankful we had the chance to reconnect like we did. I'm still too much of a basket case for anything physical, but it was nice to have positive interactions with a girl after so much negative in my failed marriage. Also, she's really cute :3: but she lives on the opposite coast. Still, it was a great weekend.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The whole concept of superhero movies is so loving boring and uninspired.

EDIT: Slight correction; the concept as used in every superhero movies I've ever seen, at least.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 29, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Cool. It'll be an interesting premise. I have a sneaking suspicion that the avengers will win though. Maybe some think the super hero thing is starting to be played out but I do find the films quite entertaining and well produced. Far better than anything Michael Bay has done.

That said, the CW's Arrow is fan-drat-tastic and some of the best television I have seen in a while and I am not ashamed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Couldn't agree more, I would give anything to go back to mid january and undo basically every decision I've made since then except reconnecting with my ex and buying this awful subaru. Hell, I would be better off if I had done both of those then. Way better off, like 3 less inspection tickets better off.

At least I should have enough money in the bank soon to fix up a fuckton more stuff on the house and maybe even buy a furnace before winter. Will wonders never cease.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The whole concept of superhero movies is so loving boring and uninspired.

EDIT: Slight correction; the concept as used in every superhero movies I've ever seen, at least.

Whether you find them entertaining or not entirely depends on whether you're the kind of person who expects/wants some kind of deeper subtext or message in your entertainment, or whether you're content to just shut your brain off and be entertained. Some people relax and unwind and try to forget about the stress of the workweek by pounding drinks at a bar while watching a ball game, others go watch a couple guys in spandex pound the crap out of each other (MMA/wrestling/etc), and other people want to watch a couple guys in spandex pound the crap out of each other with more special effects. All of them are valid forms of mindless distraction.

The underlying concept of a superhero is a very old one though and has little to do with movies or comics themselves, and owes a lot more to stories of Gilgamesh and Hercules and Cu Chulainn.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not really into hero movies much (or movies in general) but I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was was pretty drat good. Will probably be the first DVD I buy on the release date ever.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
TDI guy flaked. The search continues!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

I like it when I have two experiences in one week that remind me of what a loving piece of poo poo I used to be.

And then the best thing in my life reminds me of how much I've changed since then.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Getting annoyed with this 1400-2300 shift.

Why the hell I signed up for a year of it is still a drat mystery to me. I love the new people I work with, but god I hate these hours.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

buying this awful subaru.

Could be worse things. A garage full of Britains finest comes to mind.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

angryhampster posted:

Getting annoyed with this 1400-2300 shift.

Why the hell I signed up for a year of it is still a drat mystery to me. I love the new people I work with, but god I hate these hours.

I've got 3 more weeks til I've been working a similar shift for a year now, and not by choice.

Can't wait to be back on 1st shift. This requires some of the old farts to retire.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Sorry to hear about your cat..I freak out if I can't find one of my five when I come home and worry they snuck out..

:glomp:

My October has sucked too..serious issues with work, fellow staff lying on time sheets, physical fights, more work being glommed onto us..bleh..I didn't sign up for this poo poo.

And now my tonsils are swollen to the point where it triggers my gag response every few minutes, so I'm constantly nauseous.

Staff meeting in the morning too..gahdammit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Who is genetix and why did someone spend money in order to get him to post in their thread?? Is there some drama I missed?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mafoose posted:

I've got 3 more weeks til I've been working a similar shift for a year now, and not by choice.

Can't wait to be back on 1st shift. This requires some of the old farts to retire.

I was asked to do this shift as it's a supervisory role and I wanted the experience/exposure. Have yet to see any monetary benefit. Could (hopefully) lead to bigger and better things within the next year though. That's the goal. If not, I will have strong urges to pursue other options.

The upside to this shift is the alone time in the morning offers me more free time to do whatever else. Considering going back to school for ??? in the spring part-time.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 29, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So as most know, MetroPCS is a fully-owned subsidiary of T-Mobile. What some don't know is Metro is shutting down their CDMA network next year, and essentially operating as an MVNO for T-Mobile. So they're still on T-Mobile towers, with T-Mobile LTE (unthrottled).

They're a bit cheaper than T-Mobile, and I've used them before. I bought a SIM online. Try to activate it.

"This IEMI cannot be activated online"

I call customer service. They tell me the IEMI is blacklisted as stolen, and ask where I bought the phone. "Google". They ask which vendor on Google. "Directly from Google themselves; it's the Nexus 5, which Google sells directly to the public. I'm the original owner, and still have the box and receipt".

They suggest finding a spare phone and activating the SIM in that. I say okay, dig out a spare. It activates. Oh BTW, that temporary number we gave you? We're going to charge you to change it tomorrow, since porting is closed tonight. We hang up. I move the SIM into the Nexus 5. No service at all.

Call back. Computers are down, but they offer to answer general questions. I mention the above, and was basically told I'd been fed a line of bullshit - you can't swap MetroPCS SIMs around between phones without calling to swap the IMEI (and if the IMEI is blacklisted or not on the approved list, NOPE). Call back in 30 minutes and we'll get it fixed, somehow.

Call back again, computers are up. Explain the whole saga. They ask for the IMEI - they confirm it's not blacklisted, and have no idea why I was told that, but it's not listed as a phone they officially support. If I really want to activate it, I'll have to go to a (corporate owned only, which is hard to find) Metro store to get the IMEI added manually. The Metro store closest to me tends to have employees more concerned with who they hosed at the party the night before and how much coke they did. No thanks. I (politely) express my frustration and ask if we can just unwind the whole deal and do a refund. The refund is done, she thanks me for being patient and polite. Now I just need to mail the SIMs back.. if I can find both of them (they sent two actual cards - one nano, and one mini that converts into a micro easily - no idea where I put the nano card).

goatse guy posted:

I've never worked at a restaurant that served alcohol, but I still had a problem from the huge amount of stress and the rather lax/nonexistent drug and alcohol use policies in place.

This store (Allen) is pretty slow, seems to be pretty low stress, relatively speaking. I see people stress when there's 3 or 4 pizzas to be made, when we'd often have 40+ at my regular one. My GM was always ready to have a stroke at his old store/my current store, whereas he's actually smiling at this one. He revealed to me yesterday that the reason he switched stores was because of the stress - and if the DM wouldn't consider it, he had a resignation letter typed up to hand him on the spot.

My current store (Frisco) regularly has people going out back to smoke trees - openly. Managers joined in. Customers often complained about the smell when they'd walk back in.

There's certainly plenty of drug use among the employees in the store I'm moving to (as in every restaurant), but it seems like everyone keeps it outside of work. My drug use these days is limited to pot a couple of times a month. And benzos when I can get my hands on them.

This store is a lot slower overall, but thank gently caress there's no corporate accounts. There were days where I could take 20 deliveries and leave with $22 (fuel reimbursement alone) because I'd have nothing but corporate orders.

keykey posted:

I hope its rear end will survive the smashing. :ohdear:

It's probably gonna pull to the right a bit. Or dogleg going down the road.

Horse Divorce posted:

My cat has cancer. It's going to kill him. gently caress.

Nobody told me grief felt like a kick in the stomach.

:glomp:

I lost my cat a few months ago. I never realized how attached I was to the temperamental shithead until he was dying.

He made it about 3 months with kidney failure. I wish we'd put him down a little sooner to be honest, he was miserable - the day I found him laying in a puddle of his own piss is the day we made the call. Still hits me right in the feels thinking about hugging him that last time.

Spend as much time with him as you can.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 29, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tusen Takk posted:

Who is genetix and why did someone spend money in order to get him to post in their thread?? Is there some drama I missed?

From scanning the thread from the ad I think genetix is the original creator of goatse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freelop posted:

From scanning the thread from the ad I think genetix is the original creator of goatse.

Huh? The actual Goatse guy or the person who created the original shock site?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

That's lovely, man, condolences :smith:

In my lovely news of the day, it appears that my shitbreathing fuckhead aunt and uncle stole my grandmother's house (and therefore the proceeds of the sale) from my mother and her sister through legal trickery. They preyed on a lonely, dying old woman who was also going senile. The worst part is that we suspected they had done this before my grandmother even passed away but nobody else in the extended family would believe us. My family could also really use the extra money right now, since we are kind of barely scraping by and were counting on the money from the house to help pay off some debts.

I am so loving angry right now that I'm calm.

If you can prove mental instability at the time the will was changed, its possible to get it reverted. This assumes a will was made and it wasn't just a word of mouth scenario. Get a good inheritance lawyer and put the screws to their rear end. :colbert:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cat Terrist posted:

Huh? The actual Goatse guy or the person who created the original shock site?

Actually after a second look it may just be winding up the latest new person to sign up at that point

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Putting an extra 1000-1500 miles/month on the Saabaru for the foreseeable future as I live in one town half the week and work 125 miles away in another. Its a really boring drive, straight line on the interstate. I wish I had an old LS or something plush to do it in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Lincoln LS with a V6 manual wouldn't be all that bad. A bit of a pooch but easy on fuel and fun to drive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nm posted:

Just someone else's friend.

Yeah, hence the :unsmith:

Its not great, but eh.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

Tusen Takk posted:

It was some stupid NeuGBS thing which was all the rage during GBS 1.0. New user registration, and someone makes a fawning post about the person, and the rest of the retards and rejects follow suit.

Eventually, he makes an appearance- but being NeuGBS, it was something like 20+ pages in.

The rest of the forums went on, unabated.

Someone actually paid for him to post? That is sad. Like.. beyond Ion ownership sad.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. We're probably going to put him down Saturday or Monday. We don't want to prolong the inevitable. Until then he's going to be spoiled rotten.

How about something good for a change? I sent my phone through the washer and dryer, but after sitting it in rice for 18 hours and replacing the battery (i had one lying around) it booted right up. Now I don't have to buy a phone right away!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

Horse Divorce posted:

How about something good for a change? I sent my phone through the washer and dryer, but after sitting it in rice for 18 hours and replacing the battery (i had one lying around) it booted right up. Now I don't have to buy a phone right away!

Have you tried to use it, or just turn it on? I've never very little luck fixing dead waterlogged phones. Harmburgers' was the first I've encountered that was 'slightly rusted but worked fine'.

Sorry about your kitty. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Grab your address book and any pictures/other content you want off it immediately, it won't last long. Having my android set to synch all my contacts with my gmail address book is the best thing I ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Depending on how the phone was waterlogged I've been able to save them to varying degrees (water skiing yes, full immersion no). The rice trick has never ever worked for me, though.

I think that's one of those 'one old weird tricks' that persist in the cultural memory despite being at best placebo effect.

• Locked thread