Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The VA for Blendin works on Rick and Morty iirc.

The VA for Blendin literally is Rick and Morty.

You know, I actually remember people wildly speculating about that question mark mug being a Gravity Falls reference way back when that Rick & Morty episode first aired. ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE REAL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pick posted:

I just checked and yep, that's legit. :stare:

Holy poo poo! It is real.

That episode aired back in April and I must have watched it a dozen times, but I never noticed that.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

I wonder if we'll be able to get other universe cameos as the series goes along (my money would go on Adventure Time since we know they have a way to access the Multiverse).

Also possible new title change: Gravity Falls Season 2: Coyotes are coming for our sweetbreads

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

LeviathanGunship posted:

I wonder if we'll be able to get other universe cameos as the series goes along (my money would go on Adventure Time since we know they have a way to access the Multiverse).

How do we know that this hasn't happened already yet?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LeviathanGunship posted:

Also possible new title change: Gravity Falls Season 2: Coyotes are coming for our sweetbreads

Seconded.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WrathOfBlade posted:

You know, I actually remember people wildly speculating about that question mark mug being a Gravity Falls reference way back when that Rick & Morty episode first aired. ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE REAL!

Also, Justin and Alex are pretty good friends in real life, who go out to bars and have fun.

So I'm sure that moment was brought out by one of those drunk sessions.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WrathOfBlade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

Waiting patiently to see if Blendin says it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

paradoxGentleman posted:

edit: Also, here's this episode's cyphered message:
GIDEON’S TANTRUMS, MISSPELLED TATTOOS,

A FEAR OF WITCHES, A, LIFE OF REGRET,

SHANDRA’S REJECTIONS, SOCIETY’S VIEWS

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT THEY TRY TO FORGET

I like how someone made a Groundhog's Day joke earlier. And then I made another one

It's Toby. Toby who is doomed to repeat his mistakes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

Laptop probably would have explained everything, all they found out is one more person who was NOT the writer. Mcgucket probably will not remember who for a long while.

I'm still bugged by the fact that Bill never fulfilled his end of the bargain. Then again he did "help" with the laptop

edit: goons beat me. Well I wasn't caught up damnit

here have a thing

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 29, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I demand a full-length version of that hip hop song.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I found this on the wiki:

At the end of Old Man McGucket's memories, he says "YROO XRKSVI! GIRZMTOV", and forms a triangle over his eye with his fingers. He is actually speaking in Atbash, and when translated he says "BILL CIPHER! TRIANGLE!"

:tinfoil:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Asgerd posted:

I found this on the wiki:

At the end of Old Man McGucket's memories, he says "YROO XRKSVI! GIRZMTOV", and forms a triangle over his eye with his fingers. He is actually speaking in Atbash, and when translated he says "BILL CIPHER! TRIANGLE!"

:tinfoil:

I love how many layers there are for this show :allears:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

CobiWann posted:

I demand a full-length version of that hip hop song.

Eatcha own pants

e. nm

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 29, 2014

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

paradoxGentleman posted:

edit: Also, here's this episode's cyphered message:
GIDEON’S TANTRUMS, MISSPELLED TATTOOS,

A FEAR OF WITCHES, A, LIFE OF REGRET,

SHANDRA’S REJECTIONS, SOCIETY’S VIEWS

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT THEY TRY TO FORGET

In reference to the cyphered message:

Any ideas on how the Things they want to forget match up with the society members?

Toby Determined - Shandra's Rejections (Wasn't she the TV news person he was in love with?)
Bud Gleeful - Gideon's Tantrums
Creepy Dude Who Married a Woodpecker - Society's Views (It's legal. Very legal)
That Farmer Guy (Which sounds like a Nightvale reference) - Witches?
Summerween Woman - A fear of witches doesn't make much sense for someone who works at a Summerween store?
Blind Ivan - A life of Regret? He does forget everything at the end.
Head/Chin Tattoo Bouncer - Mispelled Tattoos would be bad for him, I guess.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm still bugged by the fact that Bill never fulfilled his end of the bargain. Then again he did "help" with the laptop.
I had just kind of wished he'd done the whole puppet thing, smashed up the laptop and then turned to spirit Dipper and said "Oh, and the password was XXXXXX." Like, he would have been fulfilling his part of the deal (giving Dipper the password) while still screwing him over.

Come to think of it they even could have used that to proceed the plot later on if Dipper ever finds another of the writer's computers. "Huh, maybe I should try that password Bill gave me, hey it worked."

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 31, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Y'all are missing the point. Bill never actually made a deal with Dipper. He implied it the entire time, but ultimately the deal that was made was just "Bill gets a puppet".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's no reason we should believe that Bill actually knew the password or that he is under any "obligation" to keep his deals.

Deals with demons tend to go poorly for the people who make them.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alright, just got around to watching the new episode. Between "Mcsuckit" and the dude basically going commando under his robes they're really getting a lot past the censors, huh?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
"I think you should all apologize for bein' such prudes."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alright, just got around to watching the new episode. Between "Mcsuckit" and the dude basically going commando under his robes they're really getting a lot past the censors, huh?

I was more shocked at the "Oh, poo poo!" getting past the censors.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Doubtful Guest posted:

Any ideas on how the Things they want to forget match up with the society members?

Yup, the farmer guy awarded Mabel Waddles back in the time-traveling episode, in which Mabel replied yes, she was a witch and he organized a lynch mob

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Doubtful Guest posted:

I dunno I kinda figured he had already erased the entirety of his memories that existed prior to joining the Society of the Blindeye, kind of like that lady boss who regressed to a little girl in that one episode of Doctor Who (upon which point I stopped watching Doctor Who forever I swear).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doubtful Guest posted:

Toby Determined - Shandra's Rejections (Wasn't she the TV news person he was in love with?)
Bud Gleeful - Gideon's Tantrums
Creepy Dude Who Married a Woodpecker - Society's Views (It's legal. Very legal)
Summerween Woman - A fear of witches doesn't make much sense for someone who works at a Summerween store?
Head/Chin Tattoo Bouncer - Mispelled Tattoos would be bad for him, I guess.

You could maybe flip those guesses for the woodpecker guy and Blind Ivan. Woodpecker guy seems to be in for a life of regret since his marriage isn't going too well, and, if we extend the "things they're trying to forget" to events after the episode, Blind Ivan probably won't be treated well in society as a creepy-looking traveling banjo player who doesn't actually know how to play the banjo.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Also, I'm not american, but from what I know people shooting or trying to shoot themselves (including children) with a gun-shaped tool isn't something you see everyday in american cartoons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oh no it's definitely some intense symbolism. I mean even the implications of wiping the Blind Eye guy's memory to nothingness is pretty messed up

Some Numbers posted:

There's no reason we should believe that Bill actually knew the password or that he is under any "obligation" to keep his deals.

Deals with demons tend to go poorly for the people who make them.

But again Bill could have jumped in his body if he was supposedly all powerful anyway, there were rules governing the deal even if his intentions were entirely evil.

More things

That doesn't seem like a good place to do an overhead press...

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 31, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Petiso posted:

Also, I'm not american, but from what I know people shooting or trying to shoot themselves (including children) with a gun-shaped tool isn't something you see everyday in american cartoons.

It's something that's always been more to advertiser/network/parent pressure than any actual rules or regulations, and this generation seems a lot more relaxed on violence in cartoons; in Batman TAS they couldn't even show punches connecting with people or use real guns or use the word "die" or "kill" whereas now even the comedy-focused Batman: The Brave and the Bold had Scooby and Shaggy punching the Joker and an episode where The Joker kept killing Batman over and over.

It seems like in general people today are more focused on their identity politics being in cartoons rather than violence.

I was gonna say, McGuckett's son being antagonistic to his dad in episode 2 is a lot more tragic now that we know his dad regressed into a senile coot when he was still a kid :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alan Smithee posted:

Poor Wendy, she probably took her boring job at the Mystery Shack just as an excuse to get out of that crazy house (and so she could have a quiet place to read magazines).

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Alan Smithee posted:

when you're as manly as Manly Dan, any place is a good place :colbert:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's something that's always been more to advertiser/network/parent pressure than any actual rules or regulations, and this generation seems a lot more relaxed on violence in cartoons; in Batman TAS they couldn't even show punches connecting with people or use real guns or use the word "die" or "kill"

BTAS had real guns all the time. Heck the fat detective even carried a shotgun during the episoe centered around him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It seems like in general people today are more focused on their identity politics being in cartoons rather than violence.

Yeah, wanting more representation is exactly the same thing as replacing "death" with "sent to the Shadow Realm". Absolutely absurd. :monocle:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

I was more shocked at the "Oh, poo poo!" getting past the censors.
Well, symbol swearing has gotten into cartoons before but I remember when saying something sucks was verboten because of the possible sexual connotations.

Petiso posted:

Hadn't thought of that. I kind of figured the memory eraser looked abstract enough to slide past but that's a good point.

Feranon posted:

when you're as manly as Manly Dan, any place is a good place :colbert:
The ceiling just adds more resistance to lift!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Did anyone else go Gravity Falls for Summerween? Here's my attempt.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All right then...
A picture of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge, Einstein's famous formula (a-duh), and what could be part of an equation for linear motion of a charged particle in an uniform electric field.
Not entirely sure about the last one as I'm a chemist, not a physicist, dammit!
Any physics majors currently following this thread?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just seems like a random sine wave curve to me?

:shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Amazon season pass hosed up and I haven't been able to watch the new episode yet. :(

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo! It is real.

That episode aired back in April and I must have watched it a dozen times, but I never noticed that.

wow that's awesome, I noticed that when I first saw that rick and morty episode but forgot about it since they never explained it and that show sometimes animates background stuff for flavor (like in the universe where humans are phones the human-phone mouths the beeps when its buttons are pressed). I love that they've had this planned out for so long.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was gonna say, McGuckett's son being antagonistic to his dad in episode 2 is a lot more tragic now that we know his dad regressed into a senile coot when he was still a kid :smith:

This would explain why McGucket's son is reading Stoic Monthly magazine in that flashback

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's something that's always been more to advertiser/network/parent pressure than any actual rules or regulations, and this generation seems a lot more relaxed on violence in cartoons; in Batman TAS they couldn't even show punches connecting with people or use real guns or use the word "die" or "kill" whereas now even the comedy-focused Batman: The Brave and the Bold had Scooby and Shaggy punching the Joker and an episode where The Joker kept killing Batman over and over.

Batman TAS had guns, punching and mentioned killing/death in like every episode. You're probably thinking about the 90's Spider-Man animated series which wasn't allowed to do anything remotely like that (which frustrated the creators to no end because it aired like half an hour later than BTAS on the same network).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bbf2 posted:

Batman TAS had guns, punching and mentioned killing/death in like every episode. You're probably thinking about the 90's Spider-Man animated series which wasn't allowed to do anything remotely like that (which frustrated the creators to no end because it aired like half an hour later than BTAS on the same network).

In retrospect, it was really ballsy of them to even attempt Carnage in that show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This was a really unfunny and uninteresting episode and continues the serialized episode trend of building to a reveal then at the last second showing that reveal as a red herring that doesn't resolve anything

Again this season has been a disappointment whenever the show deals with the larger metanarrative since it's not funny and the serialized storytelling is quite frankly just bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry you feel that way, friend.

• Locked thread