Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Hahaha I just realized they're doing nothing with the boons at the end of Origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does the game take place in Fereldan much? I know it's on the map, but if you're only doing the odd outing there it might be easy to handwave differences. The Circles are in rebellion so one being independent isn't a big deal, the differences to Orzammar only really concern the safety of the Deep Roads and the status of elves is easy enough to downplay.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

steakmancer posted:

Hahaha I just realized they're doing nothing with the boons at the end of Origins

To be fair, there's like 20 different ones, what could they really do with them that would matter but also wouldn't take weeks by itself to implement.

That's without factoring in whether Alister or Anora granted it to you, as well.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 29, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wasn't one of the boons "help rebuild the grey wardens in ferelden" and they gave them Amaranthine? If that's the case, then basically Awakening overwrote whatever boon you may have picked.

edit: No, wait, that happens anyway, doesn't it? It's been a fair bit since I actually played.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 29, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Lotish posted:

Wasn't one of the boons "help rebuild the grey wardens in ferelden" and they gave them Amaranthine? If that's the case, then basically Awakening overwrote whatever boon you may have picked.

edit: No, wait, that happens anyway, doesn't it? It's been a fair bit since I actually played.

No matter what, you get the Howes house for the Grey Wardens, which is one of the boons, regardless of which boon you choose.

The Warden can choose to stay and help the Grey Wardens when asked right after the boon dialog, when asked "what will you do next, Warden?", and does so no matter what you say there. But, I think it does effect the epilogue after you finish Awakening though, so it's not a completely forced on choice.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It's funny how my opinions have changed since I first played Origins, I'm noticing. On my first playthrough, I generally helped the Chantry out and wanted to help them spread across Thedas, but after DA2 and what I've seen of DA:I it seems a better idea to just do the sidequests that don't directly aid them and then ignore them for the most part or actively oppose them in others. At least, for this charater.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

It's not personal for other wardens?

Loghain tries to get you killed the day after meeting him.
Then he tries to frame you for his plot.
Declares you a kill on sight traitor to the state.
Sends assassins and soldiers after you.
Tortures you(and potentially your good friend or love interest.)
And (potentially) personally tries to personally kill you himself.

Oh and if you're a city elf, he's probably selling people you actually know into slavery.

Look, I'm not saying that Loghain is a rad dude that totally was right and deserves to live. I'm saying that a Grey Warden should know better than to kill off a potentially valuable resource for the sake of nothing but revenge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
A true Grey Warden would convert the slaves, too, imho.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

A true Grey Warden would convert the slaves, too, imho.

"Drinks on the house" *secretly adds Darkspawn blood to keg*

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What are a bunch of city elf Grey Wardens going to do, be oppressed at the darkspawn all day? :smuggo:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:iceburn:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

What are a bunch of city elf Grey Wardens going to do, be oppressed at the darkspawn all day? :smuggo:

Well to be fair, they can be used as a distraction with all their running and screaming while the proper Wardens ambush the spawn.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Operation Get Behind The Pointies.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Thor-Stryker posted:

Until it's Shale 2.0 and you lose out on a party member because :10bux:

What pisses me off about Shale is that he was the one of the first NPC's that was introduced and they literally ripped him out of the game to sell as DLC, he was originally supposed to hang out in Redcliffe and that huge-rear end house that you can't enter was supposed to figure into the whole quest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vichan posted:

What pisses me off about Shale is that he was the one of the first NPC's that was introduced and they literally ripped him out of the game to sell as DLC, he was originally supposed to hang out in Redcliffe and that huge-rear end house that you can't enter was supposed to figure into the whole quest.

She

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Once the keep is in open beta, anyone want to swap some worldstates? I was hoping to run a different one for my first two playthroughs, but I can't be bothered to make a second.

The one I have has a psychopath warden who manipulates and cajoles his way into becoming the dick king of Ferelden, and then a sarcastic mage Hawke, who's generally a nice girl, but sides with the Templars because she thinks (rightly) that the mages in Kirkwall without exception are monsters. Most importantly, Anders is dead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It takes like four minutes to make a worldstate though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sheesh, how could I forget that? It's been too long... ;(

CottonWolf posted:

The one I have has a psychopath warden who manipulates and cajoles his way into becoming the dick king of Ferelden, and then a sarcastic mage Hawke, who's generally a nice girl, but sides with the Templars because she thinks (rightly) that the mages in Kirkwall without exception are monsters. Most importantly, Anders is dead.

Anders' reaction when you do this is loving priceless.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Spoil it, for those of us who don't really fancy playing through DA2 again.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

It takes like four minutes to make a worldstate though.

I just discovered the randomise button. That solves my laziness issue.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

Spoil it, for those of us who don't really fancy playing through DA2 again.

I made a point of bringing him along with my mage Hawke and every time I made a pro-templar decision Anders basically went "But wh- you're a mage why would y- NGGGGH"

I was a dick to him throughout the whole game, tearing apart his backwards-rear end logic so I had maxed out rivalry. If you do that then it's possible to convince him that he's pretty much lost his mind and as a reward you can keep him in your party after you side with the templars instead of letting him go or running him through. He becomes an empty shell of a person and even remarks that he'll probably kill himself after the battle is over. I consider mentally breaking him to be way more satisfying than killing him because gently caress Anders.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That is truly glorious and I salute your dedication.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Vichan posted:

I was a dick to him throughout the whole game, tearing apart his backwards-rear end logic so I had maxed out rivalry. If you do that then it's possible to convince him that he's pretty much lost his mind and as a reward you can keep him in your party after you side with the templars instead of letting him go or running him through. He becomes an empty shell of a person and even remarks that he'll probably kill himself after the battle is over. I consider mentally breaking him to be way more satisfying than killing him because gently caress Anders.

Merrill actually suggests making him help sort it out if you've sided with the Templars and ask for her advice, making her the most sadistic party member by a long shot. Of course, unless he's a maximised rival he refuses anyway. But yeah, I think you're right, that route is more of a fitting punishment than killing him. It's definitely more entertaining.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vichan posted:

Shale was included for free in every new copy of DA:O, though, and it's not like she had a major impact on anything but the Golems quest.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Yeah, Shale was nothing like Javik. If you didn't have Javik, you'd miss out a large part of the plot and background lore of the entire series. That stuff was ridiculous.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Batham posted:

If you didn't have Javik, you'd miss out a large part of the plot and background lore of the entire series. That stuff was ridiculous.
You wont miss any plot without Javik. The only thing he added background lore on the Protheans.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

CottonWolf posted:

Once the keep is in open beta, anyone want to swap some worldstates? I was hoping to run a different one for my first two playthroughs, but I can't be bothered to make a second.

This is pretty much why I fell in love with the game. There are so many different Player Character stories you can enact even within the main story of the game. My Warden was basically a resentful, sneaky, rear end-kissing elf Mage who betrayed Jowan to the First Enchanter for brownie points (and also because gently caress Jowan, that little poo poo), and then pretended to clean up her act because she wanted to bang Alistair, and then wound up being a better person in the end. Alistair ain't no one night stand. If you like it than you shoulda put Loghain's decapitated head on it!

AnimeJune fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hope your character can casually stab people in the back of the head during cut scenes in this

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jose posted:

I hope your character can casually stab people in the back of the head during cut scenes in this

And by stab we mean casually prod them with the sharp end of a knife with massive bloodsplatter as a result.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So when is the Keep going open?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Torrannor posted:

So when is the Keep going open?

Supposed to be tomorrow if I am not mistaken.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

evilmiera posted:

And by stab we mean casually prod them with the sharp end of a knife with massive bloodsplatter as a result.

Or chucking a knife halfway across a room, lodging it in the back of an innocent scholar's skull. That was not was I was expecting when I killed Genitivi....

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Batham posted:

Yeah, Shale was nothing like Javik. If you didn't have Javik, you'd miss out a large part of the plot and background lore of the entire series. That stuff was ridiculous.

Bioware designed Javik's dlc in the laziest way. The only thing you miss out on is having some random alien Voice Act what you could read in the in game codex. It was pretty poorly done given the theoretical importance of the character.

I know some people like Javik, but you have to agree that he was VERY lazily implemented into the game, plotwise.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Raygereio posted:

You wont miss any plot without Javik. The only thing he added background lore on the Protheans.

"They used to eat flies."

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

MildShow posted:

Or chucking a knife halfway across a room, lodging it in the back of an innocent scholar's skull. That was not was I was expecting when I killed Genitivi....

I never took that option and I just watched it on Youtube. Holy poo poo.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jose posted:

If Murder Knife 3.0 is in the game, nobody is surviving.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lotish posted:

"They used to eat flies."

It was so weird how some random soldier guy knew all these random facts about species who should've only been of interest to biologists at the time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mymla posted:

It was so weird how some random soldier guy knew all these random facts about species who should've only been of interest to biologists at the time.

I'm willing to chalk it up to the Protheans' weird genetic memory scanning thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mymla posted:

It would make sense for a highly technologically advanced race's soldiers to know about general biology. Gotta know what kind of frog is safe to touch with your bare hands and all that. Javik was a high-ranking soldier, as well, so he had even more reason to know about potentially dangerous alien life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mymla posted:

More likely it was something he heard in passing from one of his meathead specist cohorts and is regurgitating as fact. Javik is a walking stereotype of the displaced colonial oppressor, and its obvious that half the stuff he says about 'lesser species' is either misconstrued due his own bigotry, or just pure bullshit he's made up to get a rise out of someone.

• Locked thread