Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

bengy81 posted:

Turn off your CO2, Relieve as much pressure as you can, get it down to like 3 lbs and let it sit for a day, try again tomorrow and see if you get any beer with your foam.

I don't know if that's the correct way to fix the problem, but that's what I did when I had all foam pours. loving saison too!

I'll give it a shot. It was probably sitting on reeaaallly high pressure for a long time.

Also does anyone have experience with a portable CO2 charger? I'm guessing it goes to a regulator which I didn't think of until I got home, and the entire purpose was to keep the keg at pressure without lugging around a nice but hilariously overpriced regulator. If I could only figure out what's wrong with my old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Yeah I was seeing how everyone added tannins to their cider. AFAIK no one grows cider apples in Korea. Maybe someone in their yard, but then those are definitely for a purpose. I can find wild apples and pears, but being wild it will be a mystery how they are.

Looks like my options are a strong over brewed tea or powdered wine tannins I have lying around. For sour maybe citric acid, apple vinegar, or lemon juice.

Can't keg or back sweeten unless maybe at serving. Might try to find some non chemical tasting unfermentable sweetener.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Syrinxx posted:

My Choolate porter came out nice, 2oz of cocoa powder at flameout gave it just the right notes of chocolate without overwhelming it. Going to enter it into a comp in category 12A and keep my fingers crossed. Has anyone ever stewarded a competition? Are bottle conditioned beers treated pretty nice and don't have the yeast kicked up?

Yep, any homebrew competition beers will be carefully poured.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

DontAskKant posted:

I can find wild apples and pears, but being wild it will be a mystery how they are.

99.99% of wild apples are bittersharp (i.e. crab apples) so they're a great natural source of tannin and acid. Just make sure they're ripe and smell good and you should be find blending some in.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
I am considering making a wine from mango juice. Does anyone have any suggestions on the ratio of mango juice to water I should use? Is pure mango juice just crazy?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm going to be pouring samples of my first ever APA for 100+ realtors tonight at a fundraiser, along with a handful of other homebrewers from the local club. It's called Short Sail Ale. :v:

Got 3rd out of 8 beers. Vote tallies were pretty close too. Good times. Hardly any of them got the joke in the name.

Tin Gang posted:

I am considering making a wine from mango juice. Does anyone have any suggestions on the ratio of mango juice to water I should use? Is pure mango juice just crazy?

You'll need to measure the gravity of the juice to figure out which way to go. If it's higher than you want to start with then you'll add water to get it down. If it's lower then you'll skip the water and add sugar to get it up. Don't forget to measure and adjust pH too.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone have a killer strong Scotch ale recipe? I've never made one and I'm looking for some inspiration.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'll give it a shot. It was probably sitting on reeaaallly high pressure for a long time.

Also does anyone have experience with a portable CO2 charger? I'm guessing it goes to a regulator which I didn't think of until I got home, and the entire purpose was to keep the keg at pressure without lugging around a nice but hilariously overpriced regulator. If I could only figure out what's wrong with my old one.

If it's like the one I've got, it screws straight onto a ball lock post, and you give it a pull on the trigger when you need more gas. Make sure everything is tightened up and pull the trigger sparingly. There might be an internal pressure release if you put in what it thinks is too much gas. There are others with more complicated miniregulators etc but the cheap and nasty ones will do the job fairly well

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
For those who use Brewtoad (I think Brewer's friend as well): it expects weight units for liquid extracts. When I do extracts, my LHBS gives me quarts, so I have to convert. I suppose I could pay attention next time and actually weigh the thing they give me, but until then, how many pounds are in a quart?

This unit converter tells me it's 2.8 lbs/qt, but this is consistently too low. Maybe different malt extracts have different densities. Does anybody have experience with this?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

hey santa baby posted:

For those who use Brewtoad (I think Brewer's friend as well): it expects weight units for liquid extracts. When I do extracts, my LHBS gives me quarts, so I have to convert. I suppose I could pay attention next time and actually weigh the thing they give me, but until then, how many pounds are in a quart?

This unit converter tells me it's 2.8 lbs/qt, but this is consistently too low. Maybe different malt extracts have different densities. Does anybody have experience with this?

That sounds fairly close, though I think it could be closer to 3 lbs. The 1/2 gallon extract containers at my shop at labeled as 6lbs.

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock

internet celebrity posted:

Does anyone have a killer strong Scotch ale recipe? I've never made one and I'm looking for some inspiration.

I'm very new to home brewing so in full disclosure I have not made this recipe. The notes say it's very close to the real deal and Four Peak's Kiltlifter is one of the best Scotch Ale's I've had.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/four-peaks-kiltlifter-clone-224020/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nanpa posted:

If it's like the one I've got, it screws straight onto a ball lock post, and you give it a pull on the trigger when you need more gas. Make sure everything is tightened up and pull the trigger sparingly. There might be an internal pressure release if you put in what it thinks is too much gas. There are others with more complicated miniregulators etc but the cheap and nasty ones will do the job fairly well

It needed an MTF connect, which I didn't have, and which the guy at the store didn't mention when I asked "how do I attach this to a ball lock?"

"You just connect it" was very wrong. Anyway I don't know if its just cheap or I'm not twisting the cylinder in enough but it clearly leaks, went thru 3 canisters in a night and poured only 10ish glasses. I can even hear the hissing. Was too distracted to diagnose the issue at that point.

On a related note I slacked off too hard and only just bought 4 gallons of cider for a party those Saturday. There's probably no way I can get it even mildly alcoholic by Friday right? That's with adding in time to crash and dispense into gallon jugs. I don't even know what abv it would hit if it had multiple weeks and I let it get completely dry, but something comparable to beer would be great. Just seems like there won't be enough time. Doubling down on yeast is a bad idea right?

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

Leopold Stotch posted:

does tannin flavor tend to moderate over time in cider?

Leopold Stotch posted:

Three lady grey tea bags steeped in about a half cup of boiled lemon juice, added directly to primary fermenter.

Sorry to repeat, but anyone with experience on this?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Tannins do mellow/soften with age, but I don't think they mellow a whole lot. I'd consider blending with another batch. I haven't tested it personally, but that's what I've read.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Ok thank you. Blending is an option, so I guess we'll see how it tastes in a month!

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

It needed an MTF connect, which I didn't have, and which the guy at the store didn't mention when I asked "how do I attach this to a ball lock?"

"You just connect it" was very wrong. Anyway I don't know if its just cheap or I'm not twisting the cylinder in enough but it clearly leaks, went thru 3 canisters in a night and poured only 10ish glasses. I can even hear the hissing. Was too distracted to diagnose the issue at that point.

On a related note I slacked off too hard and only just bought 4 gallons of cider for a party those Saturday. There's probably no way I can get it even mildly alcoholic by Friday right? That's with adding in time to crash and dispense into gallon jugs. I don't even know what abv it would hit if it had multiple weeks and I let it get completely dry, but something comparable to beer would be great. Just seems like there won't be enough time. Doubling down on yeast is a bad idea right?

That's a tight timeline, I once did a champaign yeast cider with sorbated cider so I pitched 4 packs of red star and fermentation was done pretty quick. I let it age for like 8 more months...but if you provide enough yeast nutrient and have the power to cold crash I don't see any reason you couldn't get a still cider together. I just wouldn't expect it to be the best thing ever.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

rockcity posted:

That sounds fairly close, though I think it could be closer to 3 lbs. The 1/2 gallon extract containers at my shop at labeled as 6lbs.

Yeah, with 3 lbs/qt I do get closer to my actual OG. It's more sensitive than I thought, and next time I'll weigh.

Thanks!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

That's a tight timeline, I once did a champaign yeast cider with sorbated cider so I pitched 4 packs of red star and fermentation was done pretty quick. I let it age for like 8 more months...but if you provide enough yeast nutrient and have the power to cold crash I don't see any reason you couldn't get a still cider together. I just wouldn't expect it to be the best thing ever.

I'm a terrible Person and I have no nutrient. I do have 10 packs though. I'm also only doing 3 gallons so maybe 3 will be enough?

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Welp, for reference here's mine (ignore the following if it's not basically the same model)
[Img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxeuts9zr6kyl6b/20141028_081601.jpg?dl=0[\img]

It's screwed on to a normal mfl disconnect with Teflon tape, tightened by hands then pliers, bulb was just firmly by hand. havsomesome screw the bulb in hard until it doesn't leak, and it some times leaks from too much pressure in the keg. For reference, 2-3 bulbs should be enough to get through a keg. Check it for leaks by spraying soapy water or submerging, and if it hisses after charging the keg just take it off until next charge

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

I'm a terrible Person and I have no nutrient. I do have 10 packs though. I'm also only doing 3 gallons so maybe 3 will be enough?

1 pack rehydrated properly should be plenty. Overpitching would be a bad idea. Add a handful of raisins for nutrient. It doesn't hurt to add the nutrient later, like day 2 or 3 if you can find it. I find with rehydrated dry yeast that things kick off 24 hours after pitching and most of the fermentation is done 3 days after that. As long as you aren't going to age it in capped or corked bottles then you should be fine to cold-crash and serve even if there's still some sugar left to ferment in there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Finally found something I can put my molasses in. Colonial inspired Old Ale. I'll do the Poor Richard's recipe if I get back to the US.

Also our makgeolli contest was canceled, but instead we're serving it at a nationwide industry function. So I'll likely be serving head brewers and other professionals their first oat makgeolli.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
First time fermenting with a Belgian ale yeast. Everything in the chest freezer smells like a bakery, and we have learned a valuable lesson about blowoff tubes.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

eviltastic posted:

First time fermenting with a Belgian ale yeast. Everything in the chest freezer smells like a bakery, and we have learned a valuable lesson about blowoff tubes.

What temp did you ferment at?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Has anyone had experience with WY1028 or WY1099 stalling in low-OG worts? Both of them are stuck around 1.015; while the WY1028 wort started around 1.042 (leaving 1.015 being mostly fine), the WY1099 wort started at 1.030ish, meaning my beer is a lean 2.3%. Both of them have been in the freezer at d-rest temps for almost two weeks now and neither seems to be drying out much from when I first checked. I haven't had this problem with higher gravity worts, just low.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I'm making my first batches of wine. One I'm doing all by myself, one with a friend. The one I'm doing all myself I disinfected properly and everything should be cool, but when I set the other one up with my friend and wanted to properly disinfect everything with disinfectant he protested so bad that I didn't bother fighting about it. He claimed there wouldn't be any infections.

What's the risk of my wine being infected with mold for example and being deadly and/or otherwise unhealthy? Was my friend reasonable or negligent? The buckets are brand new, and the non-disinfected bucket was rinsed, just not disinfected with a disinfectant. They should be properly airtight, though.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 28, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Keisari posted:

I'm making my first batches of wine. One I'm doing all by myself, one with a friend. The one I'm doing all myself I disinfected properly and everything should be cool, but when I set the other one up with my friend and wanted to properly disinfect everything with disinfectant he protested so bad that I didn't bother fighting about it. He claimed there wouldn't be any infections.

What's the risk of my wine being infected with mold for example and being deadly and/or otherwise unhealthy? Was my friend reasonable or negligent? The buckets are brand new, and the non-disinfected bucket was rinsed, just not disinfected with a disinfectant. They should be properly airtight, though.

AFAIK, no danger of death. But your friend is an idiot.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm hoping this leads to a part two of the KBS clone aged over maggots from Reddit a few months ago (link for those of you with strong stomachs: http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2f9w8t/hefty_amount_of_fly_larvaemaggots_in_fermenter/)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Keisari posted:

What's the risk of my wine being infected with mold for example and being deadly and/or otherwise unhealthy?

Nil. If it gets infected, it might taste bad, but even then it won't kill you or make you ill.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

crazyfish posted:

AFAIK, no danger of death. But your friend is an idiot.

Jo3sh posted:

Nil. If it gets infected, it might taste bad, but even then it won't kill you or make you ill.

Thanks for the reassurance. Guess I'll make him taste first and see what's up :v: I was just worried I'll cause health damage to myself and/or someone I hold dear with my new hobby. Next time I'll demand disinfecting all tools. It's what I do normally but he can be really pushy.

So if there's something wrong in the wine I'll surely taste it? Basically infected wine can't taste good? (I really don't want anything nasty sneaking up on me, heh.)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Keisari posted:

Thanks for the reassurance. Guess I'll make him taste first and see what's up :v: I was just worried I'll cause health damage to myself and/or someone I hold dear with my new hobby. Next time I'll demand disinfecting all tools. It's what I do normally but he can be really pushy.

So if there's something wrong in the wine I'll surely taste it? Basically infected wine can't taste good? (I really don't want anything nasty sneaking up on me, heh.)

Generally, when we talk about infections, we're talking about one of two things: wild yeast or bacteria. Wild yeast (Brettanomyces) is what was used to ferment beverages for centuries, and it's used to make all kinds of interesting beers/wines/ciders/etc -- it's just not necessarily the yeast you wanted to use.

The kinds of bacteria we're talking about are, for the most part: Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Acetobacter. Lactobacillus is what makes yogurt. You eat it all the time. It also makes lactic acid, which is tart. Pediococcus is another lactic acid bacteria that's used to make sauerkraut. Again, it's all over the place, and totally harmless. Acetobacter is what makes vinegar, so, again, it's safe. Depending on what you're making, any of these might contribute some good flavors (Acetobacter being the main exception, you probably don't want to make vinegar). However, none of them are going to hurt you. When we're talking about infection, we're not talking about E. coli or any other human pathogen, we're talking about microbes that ferment stuff differently than we had planned.

I mean, pitching yeast in a beverage is just infecting it. Saccharomyces is just as much a fungal infection as anything else. It's just the kind we like :)

edit: To actually answer your question: you may never know it's infected. You may know it's infected because it tastes funky -- very sour (although that might be hard to tell in wine, because wine is generally pretty acidic anyway), barnyard-y flavors, vinegary taste. It's harder for an infection to take off in wine as opposed to beer, though, for a number of reasons: there's more alcohol in most wines than in most beers, and alcohol is poisonous to microbes to varying levels, there's lower pH in wine, and most microbes don't like acid very much, and there's less long-chain sugars/starches in wine. Usually, with a beer that gets infected, here's what happens: a very small cell count of, say, Brettanomyces infects the batch. You then pitch hundreds of billions of cells of Saccharomyces. This colony takes over, easily outfighting the Brett for sugars. Eventually, there's no more simple sugar the Sacch can eat, and it goes dormant. Now, the Brett has the opportunity to sloooooooowly chew through the "unfermentable" dextrins and long-chain starches in the beer, since the Sacch can't do anything about it anymore. Wine doesn't typically have complex sugars, so I don't know what other microbes would eat after the Sacch was done.

Basically, don't worry about it -- the worst that can happen is you make vinegar.

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 28, 2014

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Ok! I just had read a magazine article about some Swedish homebrewer case who had a mold infection in the wine or something like that and got sick. That just had me wondering. Good to know that 99% of infections just end up with a poo poo taste. :)

EDIT:

But I guess any amount of mold enough to matter would be on the sufrace and pretty distinguishable. And would smell loving horrible.

EDIT2:

Thanks for the super informative post! I hope my friend ends up making 20 liters of vinegar one day to learn his lesson. :v:

Keisari fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 28, 2014

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Keisari posted:

Ok! I just had read a magazine article about some Swedish homebrewer case who had a mold infection in the wine or something like that and got sick. That just had me wondering. Good to know that 99% of infections just end up with a poo poo taste. :)

EDIT:

But I guess any amount of mold enough to matter would be on the sufrace and pretty distinguishable. And would smell loving horrible.

EDIT2:

Thanks for the super informative post! I hope my friend ends up making 20 liters of vinegar one day to learn his lesson. :v:

Yeah mold is super obvious, don't drink it. I've heard of people racking the wine/beer from underneath mold but I wouldn't try it :ohdear:
E: Even all the old Italians around here sanitise their poo poo, and they don't even know what yeast is, much less how it works. They just do the same stuff they've been doing all their lives that they learnt from their fathers back in Italy.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

wildfire1 posted:

Yeah mold is super obvious, don't drink it. I've heard of people racking the wine/beer from underneath mold but I wouldn't try it :ohdear:

Hah gently caress no, if I even smell a whiff of anything that makes me nauseous or see mold, the poo poo will get poured into the garden and bucket thrown into the trash. A new bucket is 15 bux and brewing is fun enough to make me not want to take any risks like that. Also mold toxins travel farther than the mold itself, so if a bucket has mold the toxins are probably everywhere.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 28, 2014

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

ChickenArise posted:

What temp did you ferment at?

Started at 20 degrees C. I think the strain was WLP 400. This would be morning of day four of fermentation, and we've checked it regularly. We'd begun slowly increasing the temperature per something from Zainasheff, I think it was at 21 degrees C this morning. It was a real surprise, we had obvious activity and krausen going for three days with no sign of impending explosions.

I guess we just misjudged when fermentation was really taking off. It was another guy's batch, so I could be wrong on a few of the details.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Der Penguingott posted:

I'm brewing a 5.5g Belgian ale with an O.G. of 1.092, with wlp530. Mr. Malty is telling me I need a 4l starter (intermittent shaking).

I didn't have a large enough container to do the entire starter in one container so I split it into two 2l starters and divided it into two 1g jugs to have plenty of headspace. I split the yeast vial between the two.

Is this going to actually get me to my desired yeast count? Or did I screw up by splitting the vial in half?

I'm brewing on Sunday so I probably have enough time to decant the two smaller starters and repitch with some fresh wort if I am going to be way short of the yeast count.

So I overshot my O.G. by a bit...1.106...I was spot on with the preboil OG but ended up with a bit less than intended in the fermenter so I overboiled. It tasted fantastic so I just went with it.

I pitched the yeast at 64 with 90s of O2. It was going nuts in the fermenter by morning. I freaked out and put the brakes on the temperature when I saw it was 78 before 24hrs. I don't think I underpitched by as much as I feared.

How fast of a temp rise is desirable for this style? Its a westy 12 recipe and everyone seems to think it needs to get to 80ish eventually but 24 hrs seems insanely quick and these super hot fermentation temps have me terrified of fusels or too much ester flavors.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Need No Instruction posted:

I'm very new to home brewing so in full disclosure I have not made this recipe. The notes say it's very close to the real deal and Four Peak's Kiltlifter is one of the best Scotch Ale's I've had.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/four-peaks-kiltlifter-clone-224020/

I've got 2.5 gal of this in the fermenter :getin:

That said, a lot of this will depend on that we mean by "strong". Kiltlifter is certainly a bit stronger than the standards for 80-/ Scotch Ale, but also weaker than, say, Founders Dirty Bastard.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Der Penguingott posted:

So I overshot my O.G. by a bit...1.106...I was spot on with the preboil OG but ended up with a bit less than intended in the fermenter so I overboiled. It tasted fantastic so I just went with it.

I pitched the yeast at 64 with 90s of O2. It was going nuts in the fermenter by morning. I freaked out and put the brakes on the temperature when I saw it was 78 before 24hrs. I don't think I underpitched by as much as I feared.

How fast of a temp rise is desirable for this style? Its a westy 12 recipe and everyone seems to think it needs to get to 80ish eventually but 24 hrs seems insanely quick and these super hot fermentation temps have me terrified of fusels or too much ester flavors.

When you say you put the brakes on, did you drop the temperature or just keep it stable? I would avoid sudden cold drops which could reduce attenuation by causing some yeast to flocc out. I think you'll be fine, but if any damage is going to happen it'll already be there, so don't worry about how hot it is now.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with using corn in a beer? I'm looking at a Kentucky Common or Colonial recipes and can really only get grits/crushed corn/maybe polenta.

Probably should save the Kentucky Common for the summer right?

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Any of you use this type of airation system? If so, what was your experience?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/AerationSystem.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Rikimaru posted:

Any of you use this type of airation system? If so, what was your experience?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/AerationSystem.pdf

Get a tank and stone or don't bother with anything fancier than pouring vigorously between two buckets. Using atmospheric techniques like a mix stir, one of those small pumps or pouring between buckets all have the same upper limit to how much oxygen you can get into the beer so you may as well go for the cheapest ime that works for you.