Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm unreformed Norse, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Could send them on raids as a general and try to get them killed in combat.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So how do I get rid of the wrong holding penalty when I reform to a merchant republic, my tribal holdings are cities, but it still gives me the penalty. Is there a console command to fix this? I'm in the beta patch.

edit: reloading fixed it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Strudel Man posted:

Basically what I'm hearing is that the latest patch+expansion massively reduced the fun factor of the game. That about right?

If you're into playing feudal then yes. If you're into playing tribal then it's pretty awesome.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That won't necessarily kill him right away though - I don't think they become disinherited just by being in a foreign prison.

Also wouldn't they already be out of the line of succession if you can make them Court Chaplain in the first place? (Assuming non-Muslim)

Pretty sure that's correct, at least I've never seen the option to make any of my sons Court Chaplain.

If you do get a son imprisoned by someone else though, I believe the bug still exists whereby you can force him to take the vows if he's imprisoned by anyone, not just you. Failing that you can suck up the tyranny and imprison him yourself, then force him to take the vows--far as I know that's the only reliable way to take a son out of your line of succession now.

Anyone Zealous pretty reliably wants to join a holy order so if your otherwise sucky son has that trait just wait him out, the event will fire before long.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What this signals to me is that, playing as a European Catholic, I should try to beeline as hard as I can to get to India, so that I can convert to Buddhism or Jainism, and gain the ability to Designate my Heir with utter impunity. :colbert:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Strudel Man posted:

Basically what I'm hearing is that the latest patch+expansion massively reduced the fun factor of the game. That about right?

Wrong. Tribals own. They just need to iron out some of the bugs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'd like to see what a "Shattered World" scenario where everyone starts out tribal would turn out like. Imagine that! Be the first to forge a realm out of a seething, chaotic morass of fiercely competing tribes, all across the world!

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The tribal stuff is really fun. I'd actually like to play a game more centered around settling your tribe all over and advancing it and less around Karling plot events and Abbassid blobbing.

Edit: Basically what DrSunshine said

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wait, forming en empire now requires 3 kingdoms OR 180 provinces? hello instant Hispania as 867 Asturias.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DrSunshine posted:

I'd like to see what a "Shattered World" scenario where everyone starts out tribal would turn out like. Imagine that! Be the first to forge a realm out of a seething, chaotic morass of fiercely competing tribes, all across the world!

Absolutely going to happen.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Excelzior posted:

wait, forming en empire now requires 3 kingdoms OR 180 provinces? hello instant Hispania as 867 Asturias.
Except for the 8000 prestige and money for it isn't that easy to come by.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

DrSunshine posted:

It would be really neat if they took out the de jure kingdoms and empires for something like this and forced everyone to form their own though the new intrigue decisions.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

CHARLEMAGNE YOU gently caress GO FORM FRANCIA OR THE HRE OR SOME OTHER EMPIRE ALREADY

NO THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WANTED YOU TO DO

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

CHARLEMAGNE YOU gently caress GO FORM FRANCIA OR THE HRE OR SOME OTHER EMPIRE ALREADY

NO THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WANTED YOU TO DO

That's what happened in my game too. The AI seems to be really terrible at forming the HRE despite being handed the requirements on a silver platter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Probad posted:

It would be really neat if they took out the de jure kingdoms and empires for something like this and forced everyone to form their own though the new intrigue decisions.

The game doesn't actually allow counties to exist without being defined as explicitly part of a de-jure Kingdom, so this wouldn't be possible, m'afraid.

Though on the other hand, it would be possible to make the formation requirements for the various de-jure kingdoms be impossible to ever fulfill, e.g. The Kingdom of Italy requires that you have the title k_italia before forming it. This wouldn't get rid of de-jure kingdoms per se but it would force people to create titular kingdoms as the only other alternative.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's what happened in my game too. The AI seems to be really terrible at forming the HRE despite being handed the requirements on a silver platter.
I flipped over to ol' Carl in 810 to see what was up, and saw that he was failing the HRE requirement because he wasn't best pals with the Pope, and couldn't form Francia (or any empire) because he was so deep in debt that he couldn't spare 300 ducats.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

The game doesn't actually allow counties to exist without being defined as explicitly part of a de-jure Kingdom, so this wouldn't be possible, m'afraid.

Though on the other hand, it would be possible to make the formation requirements for the various de-jure kingdoms be impossible to ever fulfill, e.g. The Kingdom of Italy requires that you have the title k_italia before forming it. This wouldn't get rid of de-jure kingdoms per se but it would force people to create titular kingdoms as the only other alternative.

This is fine for players, but would the AI be able to understand that it can't actually form the de jure kingdom for its territory? I'm not sure if the AI will use the new titular kingdom/empire options at all, and even if it can, it may try to form the de jure kingdom anyway by capturing all the territory, then stalling because it can't fulfill the other requirements.

I'm not really sure how the AI works in this game anyway, though. Does it understand how to use decisions implicitly, or does it need to be hardcoded to go for them?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
A tribal shattered world with impossible kingdoms and the HIP+ randomise characters option would be fantastic

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Probad posted:

This would be awesome. It'd be a true sandbox then. Who knows what that poo poo would look like in 200 years.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This is why I'm hoping they get around to updating Lux Invicta, I really love how everybody starts out with no more than a few holdings, tiny levies and awful tech levels. The new titular kingdom system would be fantastic for it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
... Huh, yeah, it actually would be pretty easy to do come to think of it. I'd been thinking that nobody would give a drat about that sort of structure, since the AI tends to be rubbish about actually doing anything from a shattered world start, but I've been planning to go back to working on my map generator next month anyway (had let it sit due to Charlemagne and health issues) and a shattered world type start ought to be easier than generating history.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Isn't Lux Invicta the mod where holdings have 40 different buildings with 20 levels each?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain why one of my vassals with 100 relations consistently joins Independence factions/Lowering crown authority, etc etc...? Does ambitious make them more likely to do this, or what is it?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I wish I was smart enough to play this game. Without fail, everytime I start the game I always select "single player" instead of "load game" and am forced to wait an untold number of seconds for the "Choose Your Starting Era" screen to load up and then close. As far as first world problems goes that is about as bad as it gets.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wish I was smart enough to play this game. Without fail, everytime I start the game I always select "single player" instead of "load game" and am forced to wait an untold number of seconds for the "Choose Your Starting Era" screen to load up and then close. As far as first world problems goes that is about as bad as it gets.

Hahaha, I did the same thing like 15 times before I finally got used to the change.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Protip: you can click custom game setup and it'll take you to the normal select character screen from that select your era page.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

1stGear posted:

Wow, nice job ruining a fable Paradox. <:mad:>

I'm more concerned about the invisible Byzantine children that were running around prior to the patch. Who knows what they were getting up to.

Also, elective succession as it existed before was a crutch that removed any reason to ever use any other form of succession or even raise crown authority above medium.

e. the real issue about elective changes is that its a less lovely version of tanistry now, in that people don't instinctively vote for half-senile uncles

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 29, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So what happens if I, Byzantium, are Primogeniture, my vassal kingdom Lombardy is Gavelkind (the listed heir being my second son), I've got a Viceroy Exarch running Lombardy (the listed heir being me), and I die? It won't let me change the crown laws if there's a viceroy running Lombardy.

The viceroy also hates me because I'm the liege of all the Italian duchies in his kingdom, but the Transfer Vassal screen doesn't list duchies so I can't transfer them him.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 29, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You mean to tell me there's a way to load games without first going through Single Player -> Custom Game Setup?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I'm a little confused. My history files seem correct yet when I look at it in-game they out of order.

Modding. :suicide:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So Republics still might be bugged with the new patch. At least, Amalfi definitely is.

So I start a game as the Doge of Amalfi, partially just to check if things are working. I check who's next in line to mayorship- its not my designated heir. Cool. I use the console to kill myself, and my heir still wins.

My new designated heir is a child, with 0 Respect or whatever the defining number is called for Republic elections. I kill myself using the console to check who should win now - a child with 0 Respect wins. This is meant to be impossible.

It only seems to be the case with Amalfi, at the very start of the game, so who knows whats going on there. Definitely a bug though.

Oh yeah and every time I start playing a game it changes the checksum, specifically the first character. I'm not sure if thats meant to happen or not.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BBJoey posted:

You mean to tell me there's a way to load games without first going through Single Player -> Custom Game Setup?

There is a Load Game button right next to the Single Player button.

MinistryofLard posted:

Oh yeah and every time I start playing a game it changes the checksum, specifically the first character. I'm not sure if thats meant to happen or not.

As in you mean you start a game, then exit back to the menu?
If so, that is meant to happen, CK2 hasn't got EU4's surprisingly nifty "Reloading Game State" feature which ?wipes the caches back to standard? and gives you the same game you started when you first started playing it, checksum and all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I want a special decision as the Umayyad Emperor of Arabia to regain the Sunni Caliphate from the Abbasid usurpers once I hold all 5 Sunni holy sites.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
For some reason everyone is hostile to everyone in my game at the moment. I can't figure out why - you can see the little icon for it but holding over it just displays nothing. It's really perculiar.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I'm playing a norse pagan, and therefore stuck with elective gavelkind. I'm fine with having to divide up my realm between my heirs, but there are a few problems:

What's the point of it being "elective" when the votes don't matter? I've several times seen a guy with 0 votes being the heir to a kingdom, while the guy literally everyone voted for is a mere pretender. Also, nobody seems to care even a little bit what I want and vote for.

Why can't I give any land to my main heir? All my other sons and grandsons have been given kingdoms or large duchies, but I was only permitted to give my main heir a single county in the capital duchy. I could also give him temples anywhere, but I have no idea why.

My eldest son is my "main" heir, and will inherit the counties in the capital duchy, the kingdom containing the capital, the empire and the Fylkirate (as well as some other, minor stuff). He will not however inherit the duchy containing the capital, only the counties in it.

One of the kingdoms in the empire became independent rather than follow the new emperor, despite me being nowhere near the vassal limit. Why?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive started a muslim game in the latest patch (no CM DLC) and I want to say: decadence management is much better now. Before it was just unfair and infuriating, specially late game, it got unbearable.

But honestly, when they said decadence was getting an overhaul, I was expecting more substantial changes. From what I can see, what changed is basically that you get less decadent family members to deal with, and "straighten up" can be used again on the same guy, and you can always arrest him with no penalties when it fails. I still dont like it much as a mechanic, but it is manageable now, not so annoying, and still gives you a reason to land family members.

Now, if there are still reason to nerf the mulsim blobs, I hope paradox can find another way to do it that does not involves making decadence unbearable again.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I want a special decision as the Umayyad Emperor of Arabia to regain the Sunni Caliphate from the Abbasid usurpers once I hold all 5 Sunni holy sites.

I don't think this even needs to be a special decision for Umayyad - it should be available for any Sunni/Shia character that meets the requirements to form the Caliphate and controls all the holy sites. It's kind of ridiculous that someone can hold on to the Caliphate despite being reduced to a single county.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Except for the 8000 prestige and money for it isn't that easy to come by.

By the way, I have to echo what was said about this earlier: 8000 is WAY too much! In fact, it shouldn't really be any more expensive to create than via the 'regular' way at all, since all those 'pre-existing' de-jure empires are just as made up in the context of the medieval world. Don't you even get prestige when you create one of those? The difference between those two methods doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Is there a way to console myself into Tanistry succession? I'm playing as a Zoroastrian and my sons all own the individual Shahdoms in the Persian Empire, and the idea of this one massive dynasty (Saoshyanid may not be accurate but it's a cool dynasty name) choosing their ruler sounds like it would make for some interesting incest based intrigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gimmick Account posted:

By the way, I have to echo what was said about this earlier: 8000 is WAY too much! In fact, it shouldn't really be any more expensive to create than via the 'regular' way at all, since all those 'pre-existing' de-jure empires are just as made up in the context of the medieval world. Don't you even get prestige when you create one of those? The difference between those two methods doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

Creating the non de-jure titles seem to be a much worse choice in the beta patch. For 9g more I was able to fulfill the become King of Denmark ambition, with a net change of *I think* +2400 prestige, -200 piety, the de jure claims on any missing territory and skipping the need to accumulate 1000 prestige first.

• Locked thread