Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I really am curious what one is supposed to do when a serious false accusation is made against you?

Pissflaps is bearing the brunt of the complaints rather than the person who was making the false accusation. This thread is usually very good about opposing victim blaming so it is sad to see it happening in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Gorn Myson posted:

I might just start posting pictures of puppies and kittens in here, just to lighten up the mood. Although I'm pretty sure we'd find a way to somehow devolve that into a pedantic argument about something that no one actually cares about in that instance too.

I miss the Monday Moth and the Wednesday Wasp and the Bonus Bee, they were heartwarming things. :(

I guess you have to be the change you want to see in the thread, here's an ichneumon wasp on some pretty flowers I found on GIS:

Parasitic wasps are cool, they're often used in organic farming because they eat all the pests. Much like ladybirds but they don't have such a great reputation as ladybirds. They should be loved just as much. :unsmith:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I might just start posting pictures of puppies and kittens in here, just to lighten up the mood. Although I'm pretty sure we'd find a way to somehow devolve that into a pedantic argument about something that no one actually cares about in that instance too.

Very slightly puppy related, some guy shot his partner and her daughter on a puppy farm after the police took his guns away then gave them back to him (even though they'd been told he'd tried to hire a hitman to kill them).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/29/police-investigation-man-guilty-puppy-farm-murders

quote:

“I might have been fed up with them. I wasn’t angry with them one little bit.”

No real political commentary though, just the police are poo poo and I'm really glad guns aren't very common here.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Good news! It looks like "liberals are the real racists" will become a part of mainstream British political discourse thanks to UKIP. Tim Montgomerie has accused Mathew Parris of being an "illiberal liberal Lib Dem" for suggesting that playing up fears about immigration emboldens racists:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...4b0cd82a0960946

:qq: Why won't you Lefties embrace the diversity of British hate speech!?
This is extra hilarious because the article he's whinging about actually explicitly says you don't have to be racist to want to talk about immigration (but it helps).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In the FT today, an MP wants everyone to get an annual statement from the NHS about how much theyve had spent on them in a year, with alternatives (Lemsip) pricelisted beside the really silly items. It's to shame people from going to the doctor with frivolous complaints such as colds and so on.

Not a charge at point of service but a good start IMO

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

In the FT today, an MP wants everyone to get an annual statement from the NHS about how much theyve had spent on them in a year, with alternatives (Lemsip) pricelisted beside the really silly items. It's to shame people from going to the doctor with frivolous complaints such as colds and so on.

I'd be concerned that this would lead to medical profiling of patients. What's next - GPs cut people off who cost them too much? Or cut people off who don't generate enough income? Either would be harmful.

While I can believe that a lot of time and money is 'wasted' on people who don't really need it, i think that this is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut response. The answer is better social care for elderly, vulnerable and lonely people for whom the doctor can be a rare chance of human contact, and for families to take more responsibility for their relatives.

Of course, some people are just big fannies. Like my best mate who decided his entire family had contracted Bird Flu the other year then insisted on everyone having Tamiflu.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Discouraging people from going to the doctor for minor complaints means that they don't get addressed until they're major ones and are much more costly to treat. It's dumb and counterproductive. Did your gran never tell you that an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Also doesn't take into account that people deciding not to go to the doctors for serious illnesses is far more dangerous than people going in for every little thing.

And in cases of social care where you aren't allowed to even give a lemsip without a prescription frequent visits to the doctor are needed.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Burqa King posted:

I can't see that working, I would guess that most people don't go to the doctors because they have a cold and they want some lemsip, they go to the doctors because they don't know what's wrong with them and are concerned it might be something serious.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's illuminating to read an invoice from an american hospital where every item is itemised so you can see how you and your insurance company have paid $60 for two paracetamol.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's illuminating to read an invoice from an american hospital where every item is itemised so you can see how you and your insurance company have paid $60 for two paracetamol.

I know an American girl who was charged $250 for "yeah....You need to go to the other hospital"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Burqa King posted:

have you considered how massively expensive the required bureaucracy would be?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
America terrifies me.

Anyway, who wants a hoodie that shows you were proud to be British?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UK-We-Are-No-British/dp/B00HBWOTNO/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1414507991&sr=1-5&keywords=ukip

UK Were #1

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Pissflaps posted:

I've had medical tests and prescriptions in japan and holy poo poo was I glad my insurance covered it, though I did have a few stressful weeks of waiting for them to gather more information. It really does make you thankful for the nhs when you see what you would have to pay.

Do doctors really prescribe lemsip though? Any doctor I've been to would just tell you to buy it as it would be cheaper than a prescription, unless you were someone who didn't pay for prescriptions.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shelf Adventure posted:

I've had medical tests and prescriptions in japan and holy poo poo was I glad my insurance covered it, though I did have a few stressful weeks of waiting for them to gather more information. It really does make you thankful for the nhs when you see what you would have to pay.

Do doctors really prescribe lemsip though? Any doctor I've been to would just tell you to buy it as it would be cheaper than a prescription, unless you were someone who didn't pay for prescriptions.

Lemsip has paracetamol in it, so at most they'll give you a dose of paracetamol. It's a bastard for minor things like a cold but it's to encourage us to take him into the doctors and get things checked out properly. Doesn't stop the doctors deciding you're time wasters and not even bothering to do proper checks, but you can't have everything.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
No they don't prescribe lemsip. They say drink lots of hot fluids and take paracetamol for the pain. 40,000 people went to the doctor for dandruff in 2012 too.

What about missed appointments? They cost £162m a year in doctors' time. Now I know what you're going to say: 'the poorest are least organised and most likely to miss appointments and will bear the brunt of any penalties.' Still, any ideas?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

40,000 people went to the doctor for dandruff in 2012 too.

People like that are just flakes.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lemsip has paracetamol in it, so at most they'll give you a dose of paracetamol. It's a bastard for minor things like a cold but it's to encourage us to take him into the doctors and get things checked out properly. Doesn't stop the doctors deciding you're time wasters and not even bothering to do proper checks, but you can't have everything.
Oh, sorry. I don't mean "would they prescribe lemsip for a cold" but rather, "would they bother writing a prescription for lemsip?" As lemsip is only £4.35 and a prescription is £8.05.

When I've needed iron tablets in the past my doctor has just told me what to take and to buy them myself because it'd be cheaper for me.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Doctors can prescribe medical shampoo for serious cases of dandruff, so it's not a frivolous thing like you're implying.

Missed appointments are a load of nonsense too. People miss appointments and then other people are moved up in the que. It doesn't mean that the doctor sits stewing waiting for his next patient's appointment getting paid for nothing.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Burqa King posted:

No they don't prescribe lemsip. They say drink lots of hot fluids and take paracetamol for the pain. 40,000 people went to the doctor for dandruff in 2012 too.

I don't really see what's wrong with that to be honest, if it was bad dandruff and stuff from the shop didn't help.

I had really bad acne for years and years. It was pretty poo poo. I tried all the stuff you could get in Boots etc, nothing made a difference then one time when I was at the doctors for something I asked them, they gave me some magic cream and bam! no more acne since.

It sounds like a really stupid minor thing that's probably next on the list of "you won't believe what people waste doctors time with" that I should have just lived with but getting rid of it really made a difference.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Shelf Adventure posted:

Oh, sorry. I don't mean "would they prescribe lemsip for a cold" but rather, "would they bother writing a prescription for lemsip?"

I think they might if the patient receives free prescriptions.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Burqa King posted:

40,000 people went to the doctor for dandruff in 2012 too.

Why is this any different to going to the doctors for a persistent skin problem?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Burqa King posted:

I don't see why this is a shocking thing, severe dandruff / psoriasis can be pretty uncomfortable and to get prescription shampoo you'd need to visit the doctor, right?

e: late to this MUCH LIKE ALL THOSE POORS TO THEIR APPOINTMENTS

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. Though I don't really think there's anything wrong with that.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I really am curious what one is supposed to do when a serious false accusation is made against you?

Pissflaps is bearing the brunt of the complaints rather than the person who was making the false accusation. This thread is usually very good about opposing victim blaming so it is sad to see it happening in this case.

I actually agree with Pissflaps I just think he gets absurdly passive-aggressive

Gonzo McFee posted:

America terrifies me.

its not so bad once you can get past the roving redneck death militias

Burqa King posted:

What about missed appointments? They cost £162m a year in doctors' time. Now I know what you're going to say: 'the poorest are least organised and most likely to miss appointments and will bear the brunt of any penalties.' Still, any ideas?

:dealwithit:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Which if you need a social carer you probably qualify for all over the UK.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Burqa King posted:

Reform working life and public transport so it is easier to make appointments. Poorer people having less time and access to services is not existing in a vacuum. If, as right wingers believe, that exploiting people, paying them poorly and forcing them to rely on underfunded public infrastructure then consequential they'll miss the odd doctors appointment.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Last year, 7m outpatient appointments were missed at a cost of £700m. Tbh I think the statement idea is ok. After all, there's a bloke who went to Japan itt who only realised how much he was costing the NHS because of an itemised bill. No mainstream party is bringing in paid appointments so let's not worry about those. Let's think of clever nudges such as these.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How are they calculating the cost of missing an appointment?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Dandruff can indicate an underlying skin condition, and it has serious implications for a person's social interactions. We let people go in for severe acne for example on the same grounds, we have a dental system that repairs cosmetic issues all the time. Perhaps "40k for dandruff?!" is being bandied about as it sounds on an absolute surface level silly, while the politician who said it will safely assume you won't actually think about it?

e:

Burqa King posted:

Last year, 7m outpatient appointments were missed at a cost of £700m. Tbh I think the statement idea is ok. After all, there's a bloke who went to Japan itt who only realised how much he was costing the NHS because of an itemised bill. No mainstream party is bringing in paid appointments so let's not worry about those. Let's think of clever nudges such as these.

Uh. That wasn't the intention of what he said, and the fact other countries ridiculously overpay for basic health services is actually an indicator the NHS is working fantastic? We get better treatment for drastically cheaper, both on average to the sick person and our total cost. Why would we gently caress up a good thing?

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 29, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Burqa King posted:

I for one will look forward to an itemised statement telling me how much my miscarriage cost the government.

Edit: We are so lucky having the NHS.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
One thing that may improve missed appointments is if your appointments were kept more frequently. To be clear, I'm not blaming the doctors here.

If you have something that requires ongoing observation, it's pretty disheartening considering you pretty much have to wipe out an afternoon any time you have an appointment. Even if it's to just update your doctor to say "yup, everything is okay" go through last month's blood tests and then have your blood taken again it can easily take 3 hours. You often wait long past your appointment time, several times this has been over 2 hours, and then there's often a separate waiting time for the blood to be taken which depends on how busy it is that afternoon.

If you've something to do, it's not hard to see why people might think "gently caress it, I feel fine, I'm not wasting all that time" despite it being important to keep track of their blood.

How to fix that? Well ideally more staff, and also a realistic approach to appointments.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I for one will look forward to an itemised statement telling me how much my miscarriage cost the government.

Don't you dare talk about Pissflaps that way

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
If anything, we need to drastically expand the NHS. We managed to get a lot of people off smoking, not drinking themselves to death, and are making inroads on obesity. All these things mean we will enjoy a drastically increased longevity, on average, and that's going to be pricey. Old people require lots of treatment, vote and are political rocket fuel; no one wants to murder pensioners for a whole bunch of reasons.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Farecoal posted:

I actually agree with Pissflaps I just think he gets absurdly passive-aggressive

I think I'm anything but passive.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

CoolCab posted:

and are making inroads on obesity

not sure that's really true.
obesity rates in the UK are rising, not falling.
in 1993 13% of men and 16% of women were obese – in 2011 this rose to 24% for men and 26% for women to copy the first hit that comes off nhs.uk

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

CoolCab posted:

If anything, we need to drastically expand the NHS. We managed to get a lot of people off smoking, not drinking themselves to death, and are making inroads on obesity. All these things mean we will enjoy a drastically increased longevity, on average, and that's going to be pricey. Old people require lots of treatment, vote and are political rocket fuel; no one wants to murder pensioners for a whole bunch of reasons.

Is there anything to the notion that men tend towards poorer health outcomes and shorter life expectancies than women in part due to the general refusal to see a doctor unless at death's door?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cerv posted:

not sure that's really true.
obesity rates in the UK are rising, not falling.
in 1993 13% of men and 16% of women were obese – in 2011 this rose to 24% for men and 26% for women to copy the first hit that comes off nhs.uk

Yeah that was the one I was most hesitant about adding; I don't want to imply we are winning, because we clearly aren't. We are, however spending money on research, have found a number of possibly useful techniques, are forcing better labeling and are teaching better nutritional awareness in schools, I'm enough of a starry eyed optimist to hope that will make a difference on the long scale I was talking about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought that was mostly due to the percentage of each that work the most dangerous jobs.

There's an easy way to account for that though, see what the life expectancy is for men and women of the upper classes.

UKMT Addendum: And then dramatically adjust them. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

CoolCab posted:

Dandruff can indicate an underlying skin condition, and it has serious implications for a person's social interactions. We let people go in for severe acne for example on the same grounds, we have a dental system that repairs cosmetic issues all the time. Perhaps "40k for dandruff?!" is being bandied about as it sounds on an absolute surface level silly, while the politician who said it will safely assume you won't actually think about it?

e:

Uh. That wasn't the intention of what he said, and the fact other countries ridiculously overpay for basic health services is actually an indicator the NHS is working fantastic? We get better treatment for drastically cheaper, both on average to the sick person and our total cost. Why would we gently caress up a good thing?

We don't want to gently caress it up, but one alternative to reducing waste is for NICE to bring down their allowance for various proven new medicines on the grounds of cost, which isn't really in our best interests. Our cancer performance is still not terribly good.

I like the ideas on changing appointment times and letting people check in via email for outpatient stuff though, so keep them coming!

• Locked thread