Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gov arc was fantastic tv with a great actor. He was irredeemable, but almost made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The last season was mostly hosed. There were like 6 episodes of spiraling nothing after the prison fell. When I watched the episode ending with Beth and Daryl flipping off the burning cabin I wondered why I still watch this show. The writing has never been good but the pacing in the first season was really quite solid.

I like some things about the new season and for good or bad I'm pretty much hooked on seeing more of these characters. In some ways though I expect this show to go the way of Dexter. We will have to see how willing they are to wrap it the gently caress up-- I'm guessing "not very."

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Reverse Centaur posted:

What's the deal with this? Just a mistake they decided to keep? The Judith talking thing seemed like a "hell that works let's use it" moment too.

I don't know, but either way, both of them were probably the best 'human' moments in the entire show. TWD does not do lightheartedness well at all since Dale quit.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

New Leaf posted:

85 would put them passing by Greensboro, so that's pretty accurate.

Also, something I thought about today- you see very few people in the show sporting corrective lenses or eyewear of any type. Google says over 61% of the population needs glasses these days. I'd think sunglasses at the very least would be almost essential, but surely there are more people out there who need glasses, and they sure as hell would have run out of viable contact lenses at this point.

I'm more curious how decaying walkers (like Gabriels former friend in the water) still manage to have their glasses on. Unless they pick them up and put them back on like the girl picking up the teddy bear in the first episode.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I can't wait until they get to DC and Eugene meets the remaining government and scientists, of which there are 5. He turns around and faces away from them pointing to his head and says "How bout this biteproof mullet?"

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Senor Tron posted:

I'm more curious how decaying walkers (like Gabriels former friend in the water) still manage to have their glasses on. Unless they pick them up and put them back on like the girl picking up the teddy bear in the first episode.

For this show, the answer is always "because plot"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

CherryCat posted:

Or the opposite, those who only need them for driving. But I suppose not being able to see distances brings up the problem of not being able to tell if the person approaching is alive or dead.

[img-LoriCrash]

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's a spin off in the sense that the show gets rebranded as Daryl's Big Game Zombie Hunting Adventure with each episode focused on Daryl tracking and killing a different zombie celebrity each week.

Finally, Let's Hunt And Kill Billy Ray Cyrus makes it to a network schedule!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
What was the wording above the archway while Rick was going all med-evil?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

delfin posted:

Finally, Let's Hunt And Kill Billy Ray Cyrus makes it to a network schedule!

Bonus special guest, Miley!

Bakkon
Jun 7, 2006

SQUIRTLE SQUAD

Darth Freddy posted:

What was the wording above the archway while Rick was going all med-evil?

"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life"

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Eternal life, or you get your rear end chopped up by an apocalypse cowboy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think they're planning on going going another 2 seasons roughly, by which point the spinoff will be underway. Common wisdom is that dramatic series' have an expiration date of roughly 7 seasons.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know if you're kidding or trolling but yeah, that's not even close. This show's going to go for 15-20 seasons at this rate. "Common wisdom" kind of flies out the window when you're dealing with a show that gets literally record-setting ratings while going up against NFL football. Why do you think AMC approved a spin-off while the show's still going? Hell I'm almost surprised they didn't announce two spin-offs and a movie. At this point TWD could lose literally 10 million viewers and still be one of the most popular shows on TV.

And I finally caught up to this week's episode, and while I liked it it really seemed like there were a lot of awkward editing decisions. Felt like one of the few rushed episodes with all the things they wanted to squeeze in. Glenn and Maggie not getting even a single scene of saying goodbye to everyone and just agreeing to go to Washington seemed really bizarre, although I honestly don't mind since this show's usually better when people are split up and episodes/writers can focus on small groups. And of course the weirdly-timed ending just feels like a cheap cliffhanger by not showing us exactly who's with Daryl and saving it for next week. Still, all in all this season's definitely been my favorite so far and I'm liking the kind of decisions the writers are making in general, even if there are still occasionally some rough scenes/moments.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 29, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think they're planning on going going another 2 seasons roughly, by which point the spinoff will be underway. Common wisdom is that dramatic series' have an expiration date of roughly 7 seasons.

The writers have said that they know what season 10 will be about. Like they literally know exactly what it will be about.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

The writers have said that they know what season 10 will be about. Like they literally know exactly what it will be about.

So Gimple is optimistic that he won't go the way of the past showrunners.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Something I never get in this show is how they talk about going to Washington like it's no big thing. I don't mean the distance, I just mean, wouldn't you want to stay the hell out of any major cities? Likewise in the first season how they went into Atlanta and there weren't any more zombies than there are out in the boonies. Or is the idea that the herds followed the refugees out into the countryside?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mt Weather is a popular apocalypse destination.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

freebooter posted:

Something I never get in this show is how they talk about going to Washington like it's no big thing. I don't mean the distance, I just mean, wouldn't you want to stay the hell out of any major cities? Likewise in the first season how they went into Atlanta and there weren't any more zombies than there are out in the boonies. Or is the idea that the herds followed the refugees out into the countryside?
Yeah, in season 1 they theorized that the reason zombies were getting closer to the camp was because they were running out of people to eat in the city, leading up to the big attack on the camp.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There has to be a lot less zombies at this point than at the initial outbreak.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
There were insane amounts of Zombies in Atlanta. Does nobody remember the tank scene?

If anything, I am surprised how few corpses they come across. You would think the ground would be littered with decomposing bodies. They rarely come across inanimate remains.

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

Dead walking or something

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They wrote PhD theses about Buffy dime a dozen, so surely there is some scholarly interest in this show. Can anybody recommend any interesting literature on this show as a cultural phenomenon, and what it says about us that we love to watch a show about the rapid breakdown of civilization?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's only been like 18 months since day 0, hasn't it?

Judith is the growth ring now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Judith is going to die young or grow up incredibly malnourished and crippled. Unless I missed the scenes where they find tons of baby formula (which is probably true since I zoned out for much of seasons 3 and 4).

I believe it's supposed to be about 2 years since the outbreak.

I'm surprised that nobody got trigger happy and launched nukes. It would be a nice punchline if they get to Washington and there's just a giant crater.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

precision posted:

It would be a nice punchline if they get to Washington and there's just a giant crater.

The big surprise is that the governor is alive and well. And actually doing quite well for himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDL0N4842MU

Season six will be a musical finale.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

VDay posted:

I don't know if you're kidding or trolling but yeah, that's not even close. This show's going to go for 15-20 seasons at this rate.

You're being incredibly optimistic. Just because its doing well now doesn't mean its not going to fall in the same trap every other show does of eventually running out of ideas, losing key actors, running around in circles and overall just burning out the audience. Hell even X-Files only went 9 seasons, and the last two were garbage. And that was another show that was generating spinoffs and games and comic books and the rest of it.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

freebooter posted:

I also don't know why they think there's anything left in DC to go to. They act like the government and the higher-up big wigs in DC are still in operation and will be completely prepared for them to arrive to save the day with Goony McGoonerson's top secret walker destroying info.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eugene had supposedly been in contact with certain DC area bigwig mucky-mucks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So what changed behind the scenes to make this season so great? New director?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

You're being incredibly optimistic. Just because its doing well now doesn't mean its not going to fall in the same trap every other show does of eventually running out of ideas, losing key actors, running around in circles and overall just burning out the audience. Hell even X-Files only went 9 seasons, and the last two were garbage. And that was another show that was generating spinoffs and games and comic books and the rest of it.

I have always thought that this show will burn out and start losing viewers by the assload, but then again, I never thought it would be setting insane records 5 seasons in, either. We're in uncharted territory here. X-Files didn't pull nearly the kind of numbers this show is getting.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Knifegrab posted:

So what changed behind the scenes to make this season so great? New director?

Well, let's not jump to conclusions, it's only been 3 episodes. They have more than enough time to poo poo the bed still.

But yeah, they've had a new showrunner since the last season so that probably contributes to some degree to the upswing in quality. I think the writing has been better too which is leading to the actors putting more effort into their performances.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

precision posted:

We're in uncharted territory here. X-Files didn't pull nearly the kind of numbers this show is getting.

Well... I had to check Wikipedia to be sure, but the X-Files fifth season premiere had 27.34 million viewers. Walking dead season 5 had 17.3 million. I know the numbers are hard to compare because people watch tv differently in 2014 than they did in 1998, but for the X-Files, Season 5 is when things started to go steadily downhill. At any rate, in terms of the ratings book, X-Files was killing Walking Dead.

I think Walking Dead has the strange advantage of not being consistently good. X-Files really got better and better up to season 5, then worse and worse until it ended, and the ratings reflected that. Walking Dead, for me, didn't really hit its stride until season 2, stumbled a bit, then regained strength so maybe it will benefit from the lowered expectations that come with that.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

X-files was on basic television though, I'm sure Walking Dead would pull that in the same situation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

joeburz posted:

X-files was on basic television though, I'm sure Walking Dead would pull that in the same situation.

Yeah, network vs. basic cable is a big difference.

Still, I didn't know X-Files was quite that popular. Dang.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

X-Files was huge for those first 5 years, going into that movie after the fifth. I was in high school at the time and everyone was talking about that movie. I think interest started to wear off after it though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jake Armitage posted:

I'm certainly not saying that seasons 12 and 13 are going to be incredible, but I just don't see AMC of all networks not wringing out every last cent out of their biggest cash cow ever. AMC hosed with Mad Men and Breaking Bad just to squeeze some more out of those shows. There's no way they'll see a quality dip on TWD and decide to let it go out gracefully in season 8 or 9, which means ratings would have to get so bad that the show just straight up stops being profitable. With how cheap they can make it (hello season 2) that might not happen for a very long time. And, again, we're talking about a show that goes directly against Sunday Night Football and still sets records. That's absolutely incredible in this day and age and AMC is going to beat this horse until their stick breaks before they give up and finally end it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

joeburz posted:

precision posted:

Yeah, network vs. basic cable is a big difference.

Still, I didn't know X-Files was quite that popular. Dang.

Sure, but how does that change the basic underlying argument? Being on cable may mean that you can't just straight up compare the popularity of both shows, but that wasn't the argument. The argument is that even hugely popular tv shows can experience a fast decline towards irrelevance through sheer attrition.

With the x-files the decline was based on three things: spin offs leading to writers/creators focusing on other things, people getting tired of the same plot (we've solved that conspiracy but here's a BIGGER conspiracy), and, more importantly, actors wanting out.

What happens when, in season 8, the survivors are facing the emperor, a bloodthirsty leader of a group hellbent on killing the survivors, with Rick and Daryl captured for some silly reason offscreen (because the actors requested more time off to work on other things), with Glenn and Carl arguing whether they should just finish them off?

And, if anything, cable companies are a lot more willing to cancel shows early, since cable shows are a smaller part of their schedule, they don't rely as much on syndication, and as such don't have the same incentives to drag things out. Even showtime was only able to stretch Dexter to 8 seasons.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The walking dead is basically dragon ball z. You're aware of how dumb it is the whole time but you keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recess Monkey
Aug 16, 2002

Bakkon posted:

"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life"

... which is funny when you consider what is just below the frame there.

• Locked thread