Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you know build fighters, it's really cruel to tease us with a mg quin mantha, we all know we're never gonna get that kit :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monaghan posted:

you know build fighters, it's really cruel to tease us with a mg quin mantha, we all know we're never gonna get that kit :mad:

Same but that G Savior.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Deserts are like oceans.

Only made of sand. And with less water.

A desert is exactly like the bottom of the sea, except with air instead of water! :eng101:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't you show a box for the 00 Raiser and then move on, Build Fighters. Don't you do this to me. It's too cruel.

Also it appears Mirai might awaken to the true gunpla spirit soon, with her reaction to the very scaled up gunpla in front of G-Muse. And new Mao is great. This was a fun episode and as good as the other Day-Off episodes from the first series.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That was an amazingly goofy episode and I loved every second. The ridiculous rival showcase opening (so happy to see Destiny already, and the pilot is perfect), Ral being an actually effective mentor, Mirai being a huge dork, the battle itself (I loved how it seemed to end with a reenactment of Build Knuckle vs Maoh Sword, but then Sakai transformed, and then the silly as gently caress ending (Yaaaay I'm on a date with my cru- OH MY GOD THAT PLASTIC MODEL DEMANDS ALL OF MY ATTENTION). I wasn't really feeling episodes 2 and 3, but this was just great. :allears:

Episode 4 posted:

D-50C Loto [Cannon Type] (Unicorn)
Musha Godmaru (SD)
Kouki Gundam (SD)
Cameo list is short again, though there was a poo poo ton of gunpla cameos. The fact they chose to specifically focus on a stack of HG GXs and DXs, as well as put a MG GX in frame makes me hope that somebody on the team is a Gundam X fan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That Loto's very much a custom job and god dammit, I want one :negative:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

That was an amazingly goofy episode and I loved every second. The ridiculous rival showcase opening (so happy to see Destiny already, and the pilot is perfect), Ral being an actually effective mentor, Mirai being a huge dork, the battle itself (I loved how it seemed to end with a reenactment of Build Knuckle vs Maoh Sword, but then Sakai transformed, and then the silly as gently caress ending (Yaaaay I'm on a date with my cru- OH MY GOD THAT PLASTIC MODEL DEMANDS ALL OF MY ATTENTION). I wasn't really feeling episodes 2 and 3, but this was just great. :allears:

Cameo list is short again, though there was a poo poo ton of gunpla cameos. The fact they chose to specifically focus on a stack of HG GXs and DXs, as well as put a MG GX in frame makes me hope that somebody on the team is a Gundam X fan.

Do the giant RX-78-2 and the Unicorn count as cameos?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

It would probably make it way easier to use effectively if instead of having hundreds of lasers and guns that fire all over the place you had a pilot and two gunners that could focus effectively.

Honestly gundams in general seem really complicated to use, it would be cool if there was one that was crewed instead of a single pilot but I can't think of any right now.

Yeah, but it honestly raises a lot of questions just about how it works. We saw two-pilot stuff last season with Sei handling the mumblemumble technicals and Reiji handling the mechanics but we also saw that the Agrissa can be one-person piloted just fine and Fumina was considering a MA as a support robot except for the rule that it needs to be three-person piloted.

I guess it just stands out because it's a really weird and artificial limitation on a battlefield which otherwise appears to be "man, do whatever the hell you want, ~imagination~"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Do the giant RX-78-2 and the Unicorn count as cameos?

In-battle or bust. :colbert:

Also I am so sad there isn't actually a recreation of the Unicorn's launch because that is such a great setpiece.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

You're missing the Underwater Gunpla Squad.

All those various X boxes did make me wonder if you'd had a hand in the writing of this one. ;)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
All the early opponent cameos were great this episode, and goddamn it was nice to see them put some effort into a purely SD fight.

The kids teasing Sekai and Fumina at the end were great too. :3:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess this episode confirms what the trailers suggested. GBFT is a love comedy.

The whole Sakai vs Sekai (that'll get confusing) battle was awesome and I love how someone finally pointed out that Sekai ignores his Gunpla entirely in favour of his own moves. And then the battle just got really loving great and holy poo poo I loved every second.

Now I'm trying to find more info about the Musha Godmaru and failing, why the hell does the Gundam wiki not have a page about it?!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Because nobody likes SD Gundam. Musha Godmaru is the protagonist of The Super Mecha Daishougun. The Kouki Gundam was one of the enemies his older brother, Musha Victory, faced in the direct predecessor, The Seven Choushougun.

DigitalRaven posted:

You're missing the Underwater Gunpla Squad.

Oh right. Uuuuuuhhhhh

quote:

OZ-08MMS Cancer (W)
AMX-109 Capule (ZZ)
MSM-10 Zock (MSG)

Couldn't identify this. Kind of reminds me of a z'gok, but there's no slit in the visor.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

A Gogg or Hygogg, maybe? ...Hygogg-colored Gogg?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Agreed on Sekai's development here. I like especially how, even though the basics are similar enough (exceptionally good pilot needs to understand how gunpla actually works) to Reiji's deal, the exact specifics on why are different. It helps make Sekai more than just Reiji 2.0, in that his specific character background - martial artist relying on his personal skills over what the unit is necessarily built for - plays into it. Its nice to see. Plus also the discussion on how exactly Fumina should build her stuff with regards to team balance, role, etc. There's a certain awareness about it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Fact that he actually lost helps out a bit, methinks. Makes the lesson he learns seem to hit a bit harder.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
He certainly took it a lot better than Yuuma. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

Fact that he actually lost helps out a bit, methinks. Makes the lesson he learns seem to hit a bit harder.

Yeah, I was expecting him to go "I understand my gunpla's heart" , learn a lesson and win so I'm legitimately glad that, no, having a Burning Heart wasn't enough to beat a dude who understood his machine's gimmicks.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

In-battle or bust. :colbert:

Also I am so sad there isn't actually a recreation of the Unicorn's launch because that is such a great setpiece.

well when I went to the gundam museum, at least they had a life size bust of the strike freedom :suicide:. I wonder why they replaced it in the show with the unicorn?

EDIT V Well poo poo, I didn't know about that. Was it recently put up or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

well when I went to the gundam museum, at least they had a life size bust of the strike freedom :suicide:. I wonder why they replaced it in the show with the unicorn?

The Unicorn thing is a thing that actually exists. I've seen photos of it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

John Carstairs posted:

He certainly took it a lot better than Yuuma. :v:

lol seriously. Yuuma went all:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Unicorn thing is a thing that actually exists. I've seen photos of it.

Really? All I know is the 1/1 cockpit at GFT.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Because nobody likes SD Gundam. Musha Godmaru is the protagonist of The Super Mecha Daishougun. The Kouki Gundam was one of the enemies his older brother, Musha Victory, faced in the direct predecessor, The Seven Choushougun.

Oh right. Uuuuuuhhhhh

Couldn't identify this. Kind of reminds me of a z'gok, but there's no slit in the visor.

How can you not recognize the Hygogg, the most beautiful of all of nature's amphibious mobile suits.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's actually probably the main custom suit for that team, but it's a hygogg underneath it all.

e: Oh wait I forgot the shoulder armor shifts backwards in swim mode so you don't see it in profile, it's just a standard one, nevermind.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 29, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Holy poo poo everyone in this show's cast is such an incredible dork and I love it to death. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It's actually probably the main custom suit for that team, but it's a hygogg underneath it all.

e: Oh wait I forgot the shoulder armor shifts backwards in swim mode so you don't see it in profile, it's just a standard one, nevermind.

Only problem with it is the backpack, hence why I'd lean towards the original Gogg. Unless it's a custom thing. v:v:v

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

Only problem with it is the backpack, hence why I'd lean towards the original Gogg. Unless it's a custom thing. v:v:v

It's the propellant tank the regular hygogg has, and theres bubbles behind it that are making it look different.

The white part is behind it, not in front of it and covering the tank, a trickery of the eyes.

Now I'm sad they'll never make an MG version of the hygogg though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sharkopath posted:

Dear Sharkopath,

I'm sorry for casting aspersion on club SWIM TEAM. That is a pretty cool looking picture of a Hygogg and I hope we can still be friends.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mordja posted:

Dear Sharkopath,

I'm sorry for casting aspersion on club SWIM TEAM. That is a pretty cool looking picture of a Hygogg and I hope we can still be friends.

I don't do it out of hate for others and their robots, I just want to spread the love of the Unterseebots.

I was actually a bit disappointed when the Renato bros from the first season had a special custom Hygogg that they only used in one short scene, even though their real suit was pretty cool and that fight was one of the best in the show.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It's the propellant tank the regular hygogg has, and theres bubbles behind it that are making it look different.

The white part is behind it, not in front of it and covering the tank, a trickery of the eyes.

Now I'm sad they'll never make an MG version of the hygogg though.

Ahhhh, so it is, thanks for pointing that out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sharkopath posted:

AMPHIBIOUS MOBILE SUITS WORK IN SPACE TOO. I WON'T HEAR NONE OF THAT.

Of course they do. Am I the only one who remembers Season 1?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVe3Ed5k0U

Despite only being in one scene of its original work the Hygogg is a really cool looking mobile suit and it's weird posture and arm length mean its a joy to watch animated, it moves so weird and looks very menacing. Hopefully they show it off in build fighters and it isn't relegated to the background again.

0080 has most of my favorite mobile suit designs in it and some really cool spots of animation despite not being about the combat or conflict much at all, if you haven't seen it yet it's a short watch and definitely worth the time.

I feel like anecdotally it's respected, but ignored and unacknowledged about as much as Turn A is.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I probably wouldn't disagree if you wanted to call it the best work in the Gundam franchise.

...but G is still my favorite. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Of course they do. Am I the only one who remembers Season 1?

Fun fact:

Space Z'Goks are actually a canonical thing. They are the only aquatic MS capable of space fighting and Zeon deployed a batch of them during the end days of the way in desperation. It... it didn't go well.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Episode was great. After that fight between Sekai and Sakai, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Winning Gundam in action. Also, I find it interesting that Sekai mentions that he's not actually from Tokyo; I wonder where in Japan he and his sister are from originally? I doubt it'll be important in the long run, it just strikes me as odd that Sekai felt the need to correct Sakai on that point.

Also, seven years later and Mr. Ral's hemorrhoids are still acting up. Poor guy. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly gundams in general seem really complicated to use, it would be cool if there was one that was crewed instead of a single pilot but I can't think of any right now.

Honestly the only mecha thing I can think of that's actually crewed rather than being one or a two person team is one of the robots from obscure Capcom 3D fighting game Tech Romancer/Kikaioh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the only mecha thing I can think of that's actually crewed rather than being one or a two person team is one of the robots from obscure Capcom 3D fighting game Tech Romancer/Kikaioh.

The Guntank is actually crewed by two people! This is a repeated thing in early Gundam where Hayato, Ryu and Amuro all swap in and out of the two seats. There are also other machines that have larger crews, like the Zamzazar in SEED Destiny which has a three-person team controlling it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's a poll on the website for cameos you want to see. If you're too lazy to use google translate, the first box is your name, the second the robot's name (click the blue button to see a list of everything's japanese names), and the third box is your reasoning.

If you even need to ask which one I voted for you haven't been following the gunpla thread.

The top ten will get in. Currently it's

1. RX-124 Gundam TR-6 (Woundwort)
2. GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]
3. ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam
4. ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam
5. RX-105 Xi Gundam
6. LRX-077 Sisquiede (AEUG colors)
7. LRX-077 Sisquiede (Titans colors)
8. MSA-0011(Ext) Extraordinary-Superior Gundam
9. GGF-001 Phoenix Gundam
10. MSA-0011(Bst) Superior Gundam Booster Unit Type Plan 303E "Deep Striker"

Don't ask me why the Destiny is on there when it's already a main suit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I recognize nearly none of those. Then again, GBF is the first gundam I've actually watched in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All of them but 00Q, SF, and Destiny are sidestory or video game only, so that's not that odd.

• Locked thread