Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Both of my parents have accidentally submerged their phones. My moms actually took a dip in the Atlantic ocean, but after 24 hours of sitting in a bucket of rice it worked fine for another 2 years (which was unfortunate, it was a real piece of poo poo). Dads only lasted a month before it crapped out after its toilet adventure though.

I haven't tested any of my phone's swimming abilities, thankfully.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Depending on how the phone was waterlogged I've been able to save them to varying degrees (water skiing yes, full immersion no). The rice trick has never ever worked for me, though.

I think that's one of those 'one old weird tricks' that persist in the cultural memory despite being at best placebo effect.

The logic is reasonably sound, but honestly if you have the wherewithal to take your phone apart, even partially, putting it under an incandescent light bulb is going to be a better plan. Hosing it down with board cleaner and then under some heat even better than that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Saves many a phone.

Pull the battery, soak it with 90% isopropyl alcohol and set it in a warm spot. Let it sit for a few days.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

Someone actually paid for him to post? That is sad. Like.. beyond Ion ownership sad.
There are very few things more shameful than ION ownership, among them are buying banner adverts for unfunny jokes and also owning Saabs. Ironically the shame of ION ownership partially stems from all the engine parts being stamped "SAAB" and the rest of it is from being made of plastic :smith:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've completely submerged and saved an iPhone 3G and 5, along with Lenovo and Samsung netbooks. The battery Lenovo died, and the battery iPhone 5 refused to charge above 20% afterwards, though. All of them were dropped in rivers while switched on.

Despite that one of my colleagues managed to kill a ruggedised, £4000 bit of kit that is designed to be used in rivers by getting it wet.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

It works well enough, the screen is splotchy but everything works well. I only want it to last another two weeks or so. I don't like it much but I'd rather have it around for the remainder of my 30 days.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Sorry about your cat Horse Divorce. One of my mom and dad's cats had to be put to sleep over the weekend and it sucked hard even though it was time. She was 18 and her kidneys were failing, but she was still active and happy until the last week or so. She was my buddy growing up so I'm gutted that she's gone. :smith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I managed to save a laptop that got soaked by yanking out the battery asap then tossing it and the computer in a bin of rice. Put the bin on top of the dryer then ran a few loads on high. Thing worked for a year or so after. Didn't get submerged but I'd guess a gallon of water poured over it.

I know Spintires is old news but it's on sale right now on Steam. I bought a copy and look forward to getting stuck in the mud from the comfort of my couch while drinking this afternoon.

Loading ~2500lb server racks today, 5 down and many many more to go.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Tusen Takk posted:

There are very few things more shameful than ION ownership

True, true.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know Spintires is old news but it's on sale right now on Steam. I bought a copy and look forward to getting stuck in the mud from the comfort of my couch while drinking this afternoon.

I read this as SpinRite. :psyduck:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Viggen posted:

It was some stupid NeuGBS thing which was all the rage during GBS 1.0. New user registration, and someone makes a fawning post about the person, and the rest of the retards and rejects follow suit.

Eventually, he makes an appearance- but being NeuGBS, it was something like 20+ pages in.

The rest of the forums went on, unabated.

Someone actually paid for him to post? That is sad. Like.. beyond Ion ownership sad.

It was kinda funny with airdisc, since he was the first, but if there were times after that... yeah, not funny anymore.

Showing my regdate here, sorry.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Lost power at work so they sent us home for the day.

I have no idea what I am going to do with myself for the rest of the day because everyone else is at work.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So at my university we just recently got a new CIO, and I heard he had a "barely street legal race car" and he was driving it on campus impressing everyone. I found his facebook and saw these, he said it was a 917k:

He meant Fiero 917k, right?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

mariooncrack posted:

Lost power at work so they sent us home for the day.

I have no idea what I am going to do with myself for the rest of the day because everyone else is at work.

Upgrade your laptops' wireless? :v:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

All the class of a 917 with all the sass of a Fiero. :q:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Cage posted:

He meant Fiero VW bug 917k, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks like an ugly(er) Coyote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMAfwJSfKw

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Also available with Corvair power.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Depending on how the phone was waterlogged I've been able to save them to varying degrees (water skiing yes, full immersion no). The rice trick has never ever worked for me, though.

I think that's one of those 'one old weird tricks' that persist in the cultural memory despite being at best placebo effect.

I dropped my Droid X in the toilet (clean, no pee/poo) and it took 3 days of drying, but it came back and worked fine for another two years.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Viggen posted:

Upgrade your laptops' wireless? :v:

Mail isn't here yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bah. I messed up with my FLIR One when I initiated a "thermal event" with the old iphone 5 battery I replaced.

I bent the battery enough to rupture it inside and watched it heat up with the FLIR. Those damned batteries get HOT... it pegged the FLIR at 212*, probably not a lot over that, since it cooled down rapidly shortly thereafter, but it was surprising to see how hot it actually got, especially since it was mostly discharged and had little capacity left. Super fun to watch with infrared, though.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

angryhampster posted:

Getting annoyed with this 1400-2300 shift.

Why the hell I signed up for a year of it is still a drat mystery to me. I love the new people I work with, but god I hate these hours.

I feel your pain. My primary poo poo at the hospital is now 1400-0000 and I hate the hours. I am a Morning person and would rathe go back to getting up at 0430 and work 0600-1600 like I have been for the past few months covering maternity leave. But I really like pediatrics so I guess I will stick with it until a day spot comes available.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Every month I have one or two 2000-0500 shifts and those are the best shifts ever

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I opened up and baked my old iPhone 5 in a bag of rice for a few hours in the oven after it went through a full wash and extra rinse cycle. I worked fine for 6 months after and the. I traded in when I switched to verizon for like $500. Suckers lol.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

If you drop your phone in water, you should pull the battery and rinse it out with distilled water before drying it to remove impurities/salts from whatever you dropped it in which can short circuit it if they're conductive. Rice works wells because its hygroscopic. You can also save the silica desiccant that you get with a lot of different things, bake it for awhile and reuse it for whatever. It will do a much better job than rice.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

After three weeks with another adult, a screaming 2 year old and an old large dog staying in our house, in addition to the group of us who live here since it's our home, it's gotten to be a bit of a strain.

Helping friends-in-need is good, in theory, but it does have its costs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stealth Like posted:

If you drop your phone in water, you should pull the battery and rinse it out with distilled water before drying it to remove impurities/salts from whatever you dropped it in which can short circuit it if they're conductive. Rice works wells because its hygroscopic. You can also save the silica desiccant that you get with a lot of different things, bake it for awhile and reuse it for whatever. It will do a much better job than rice.

That's pretty hard to do with a modern phones, since most of them have non-replaceable batteries.

"Wait a minute, let me just get out my screwdrivers"

*Plunges both hands into toilet*

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Stealth Like posted:

you can get a tub of damp-rid in the RV section at walmart. I think it's the same stuff.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My phone is IP67 rated :smug:
I bought it because any phone I own has automatically been given a death sentence. So far I've only smashed the laminated surface of the touch screen. Touch screen still worked perfectly if you don't mind dragging your finger over shards of broken glass. The windscreen RTV is still holding the new touch screen in well.

Spent some money I shouldn't have on a couple of Steam keys for Borderlands 2. I figure price per hours of entertainment it's pretty good value. We got it for the 360 ages back but I couldn't cope with the menus in splitscreen. From calm to rage in seconds. So, we're going to play through on PCs. partially because the pre-sequel is off limits until 2 is done. After watching a review of the pre-sequel and instantly recognizing most of the voice actors that did it for me.

Can't touch games yet though. The last couple of weeks has been brutal and it's not over yet. Plus my graphics card seems to be taking a poo poo. Goddamnit I can't afford another one any time soon :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just resigned myself to the fact that I will nuke a phone every 6 to 9 months and have retarded requirements for my phones so I buy $50 droid 3s off ebay and back up my photos regularly. Problem solved.

Do not recommend me a phone I should buy. Seriously.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I just resigned myself to the fact that I will nuke a phone every 6 to 9 months and have retarded requirements for my phones so I buy $50 droid 3s off ebay and back up my photos regularly. Problem solved.

I hear Iphone 6 pluses are the ticket.

Think about all them extra inches where you need it most.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

After three weeks with another adult, a screaming 2 year old and an old large dog staying in our house, in addition to the group of us who live here since it's our home, it's gotten to be a bit of a strain.

We moved out to my wife's grandparents a while back because her grandpa's health was poo poo to begin with, he's been living on the bleeding edge of medical technology for the past 13 years. He was supposed to live 6 months 13 years ago, in any case his heart went down to about 20% effectiveness so he couldn't run his ranch anymore since he had to focus on health. We were selling our house anyway so we moved that direction to get him back on his feet so he can take care of the ranch again.. Needless to say that hasn't happened yet, but at least his heart is up to between 50-60% and running a ranch is just another kind of management except your subordinates are bovine.
In any case, I hear you on the strain part, though in our case we've learned to co-exist so it's not that bad now. What is bad though is learning to live with more people after you've been on your own for 20 years, that's a really loving steep learning curve, especially when they have the old mind set of gently caress it let things run all night.

Little things just get on my nerves like leaving doors open and running the heating/air conditioning, leaving the tv on blaring all night long while he sleeps. We got them from a roughly $800 monthly gas/electric bill down to about $250 which is pretty drat good for an older house that's 3,500 sq ft. Weird how just turning poo poo off when you're done will do that, huh? I also got a roku 3 for both the living room and his bedroom so he can plug into the remote when he's up all night pacing from insomnia so sound problem solved as well. Unfortunately the only internet we get out there is from a wisp, fortunately it's unlimited because he chewed through 487GB in 1 month from watching Netflix/TED/discovery channel/PBS (antique road show motherfuckers!). He watched Lost the whole series in 2 weeks, no poo poo. The man has amazing tv show retention, but can't tell you poo poo from shinola otherwise about anything unless it specifically interests him like watching his tv shows. He's my own personal tv suggestion service with about 90% accuracy about what I'd like or wouldn't like to watch so that's pretty cool.

It's put a damper on some plans such as taking a careers in the bay, but it's the thing of do you say gently caress you or take care of family because you see how that could potentially be yourself some day. In any case, her grandma is pretty cool but just stays to herself. Her grandpa can be an rear end in a top hat, but hey so can I so it's a mutual assholishness just for fun on occasion so it works. He's use to everybody doing what he says just to shut him up and I challenge him, but he always laughs when I push back, as a result we get along better and I go on drives with him when he feels anxious when his meds are off. Last I checked he's down from 46 to 34 pills a day.

For AI content, they use to own a go-kart track, batting cages, bumper boats and some canoe rentals at the local waterslides/lake until 10 years ago so we do have a barn full of that stuff. I've been getting go-karts up here and there 1 at a time, but I need to outfit them with some knobbies for the dirt so they'll be actually usable. All have Honda engines so they're drat near bulletproof, I want to say there are 13 go-karts total out there, but I've only got 3 up and running in the past year. I've thought about setting up a pitching machine for our cocker spaniel but he's too goddamn retarded and would run himself to death, though I could rig a timer up I suppose. Anyway, didn't mean to post a wall of text, but yeah, living with people can definitely have its challenges, but you just have to look for the good distractions.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
i never knew these were available with out leather http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4736547684.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

A good buddy of mine was forced to move his wife and newborn child into his parents home due to the wife mismanaging their funds. The stress and friction between his wife and mother after less than 3 months forced them to move to a crappy part of town for the cheapest rent they could find. The marriage ended 3 months after that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Not going to. But this is mine. Bought it used like most of my phones because they'll get killed. Not a fantastic phone but it does what I need and most importantly it's IP rated.
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_defy+-4098.php

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to the witch doctor about my hip pain. It's possibly my sciatic nerve. The development of this pain coincides with me DDing the Miata this year, she thinks the lower seating position might be the cause. Today was the last day for driving it this year so hopefully this pain goes away quickly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I just had a seriously good workout...today is a heavy day of squats, deadlifts and bench (two sets of twelve reps in each exercise then add weight for one set of five), and I set personal bests in every one of them once again - been setting them now every week for the last eight weeks. Not only am I feeling pretty good now, if last week is any indication I won't even be sore for tomorrow's workout; hot yoga, where I am the only guy in a class of a dozen or so twenty- and thirty-somethings. :getin:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Garmin's website kinda sucks, does anyone know which ones allow you to put in custom routes? (or another brand if it's better).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrChips posted:

I just had a seriously good workout...today is a heavy day of squats, deadlifts and bench (two sets of twelve reps in each exercise then add weight for one set of five), and I set personal bests in every one of them once again - been setting them now every week for the last eight weeks. Not only am I feeling pretty good now, if last week is any indication I won't even be sore for tomorrow's workout; hot yoga, where I am the only guy in a class of a dozen or so twenty- and thirty-somethings. :getin:
I can't wait to get back to my garage gym and get back to serious lifting. Do body weight stuff while traveling but it just isn't the same. I've thought about yoga, you enjoy it (other than the eye candy)?

Out of no where coughing my lungs out and feel like poo poo...wonderful. Huge project starts Monday and I really need to be at work tomorrow. Yay FU body.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I read that just as I was ripping open a package of "Triple Double" Oreos. I'm still going to eat them, I'm just going to feel bad about myself while I do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
What's a good, free image program that will let me add the time-stamps to pictures so I can print them with that information? Need to fight a ticket tomorrow.

• Locked thread