Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

quote:

Call me cynical, but, considering rape victims have to pay for their own DNA testing, I don't see feds going out of their way to foot the bill.

Who fed you this line of horseshit?

My girlfriend is an ARNP for the Child Protection Team where we live, and she does rape kits and takes samples on a DAILY basis. Everything is paid for by either the law enforcement department that brings the case in, or by the state, via the VOCA Act.

If you believe that a rape victim pays for their own DNA testing you're either very gullible, or you live in a hosed up place.

Edit: For your reading pleasure, the VOCA Act

quote:

What Is Crime Victim Compensation?

Crime victim compensation is a direct reimbursement to, or on behalf of, a crime victim for the following crime-related expenses:

• Medical costs/Mental health counseling.

• Funeral and burial costs.

• Lost wages or loss of support.

Other compensable expenses may include eyeglasses or other corrective lenses, dental services and devices, prosthetic devices, and crime scene clean-up.

Yeah. So no, victims don't pay poo poo. The state pays.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Different states have implemented laws to fulfill the requirements of the VAWA in different ways. Some states charge the victim a large bill up front with promise of reimbursement in the future. Some states have unrealistically low caps on the amount paid for services to the victim - such as Oklahoma's limit of $450, less than a third of the cost of the tests. Other states put severe limitations on circumstances under which the victim can seek reimbursement such as Louisiana's rule that

slate.com posted:

[The victim] can't have had any felonies in the past five years. They can't have behaved in a way that, in the opinion of the board, ‘contributed to the crime.’ They can't have been involved in other illegal activity at the time they were victimized.

A prosecutor in Michigan turned over a metaphorical rock and found 11,000 untested rape kits, some dating to the 1980s, ostensibly left to sit because no one had paid for the testing. Looking through them allowed her to close several cases and pinpoint serial rapists who had gone unpunished.

More from Human Rights Watch
An in-depth state by state analysis by the Urban Institute (pdf warning)

One silver lining is that the 2015 version of vawa forces states to pay for untested rape kits, but it still allows them to try to get the victim to pay first, and given that there will be 50 different implementations applied to dozens of hospital chains each, some flaws will still remain.

The "hosed up place" you referred to could easily be roughly half of the US, pretty much the same states that sued to be exempt from the medicaid expansion.

moller has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Oct 24, 2014

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

KozmoNaut posted:

This happens to me about once every month or so, as a symptom that I'm about to have a migraine attack. It's a pretty reliable sign that I have to find a dark room and lay down for a couple of hours.

It's sometimes referred to as a migraine aura or optical migraine, and it's pretty weird. The first time it happened, I was terrified that something had happened to one of my eyes until I noticed both eyes were affected in the exact same way.

Then I realized it was my brain :ohdear: (Which it actually was, but not in a harmful way)

So weird, this happened to me today. I've only ever had two other migraines, and I woke up with both. This morning I was trying to figure out why there was a persistent bright light blocking my peripheral vision. Then a few hours later I felt the tell-tale left-side pain. Migraines are weird. After my first one, I was certain I was going to die of a brain hemorrhage.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

moller posted:

Different states have implemented laws to fulfill the requirements of the VAWA in different ways. Some states charge the victim a large bill up front with promise of reimbursement in the future. Some states have unrealistically low caps on the amount paid for services to the victim - such as Oklahoma's limit of $450, less than a third of the cost of the tests. Other states put severe limitations on circumstances under which the victim can seek reimbursement such as Louisiana's rule that

A prosecutor in Michigan turned over a metaphorical rock and found 11,000 untested rape kits, some dating to the 1980s, ostensibly left to sit because no one had paid for the testing. Looking through them allowed her to close several cases and pinpoint serial rapists who had gone unpunished.

One silver lining is that the 2015 version of vawa forces states to pay for untested rape kits, but it still allows them to try to get the victim to pay first, and given that there will be 50 different implementations applied to dozens of hospital chains each, some flaws will still remain.

The "hosed up place" you referred to could easily be roughly half of the US, pretty much the same states that sued to be exempt from the medicaid expansion.

Well that's definitely scary or unnerving, gently caress.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Holy shitballs. It seems that Florida is actually progressive in this instance... Still loving ridiculous though...

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

moller posted:

Yeah, I had my car stolen in New Jersey in 1995. They recovered it. It was wrecked in a high-speed chase, and then put in the impound lot, which cost me $200 to retrieve. My insurance covered most of the repair bill, but my premiums went up substantially.

So I applied to the Victim's Compensation Board for restitution and I was told that the thug who stole my car first had to pay the fines that he was charged as a result of the crime, then when that was paid, he was responsible for making restitution. The scrote was in jail for armed robbery and grand theft auto, so I was probably going to see my money sometime in the next 30 years. :psyduck:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah, I had my car stolen in New Jersey in 1995. They recovered it. It was wrecked in a high-speed chase, and then put in the impound lot, which cost me $200 to retrieve. My insurance covered most of the repair bill, but my premiums went up substantially.

So I applied to the Victim's Compensation Board for restitution and I was told that the thug who stole my car first had to pay the fines that he was charged as a result of the crime, then when that was paid, he was responsible for making restitution. The scrote was in jail for armed robbery and grand theft auto, so I was probably going to see my money sometime in the next 30 years. :psyduck:

On the bright side, only 5 more years to go!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Literally Kermit posted:

On the bright side, only 5 more years to go!

For all I know, he only did about 6 months of whatever sentence they gave him and went on to bigger and better felonies.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zopotantor posted:

I got a dose of Ketamine once (after a dislocated kneecap). Apparently I reacted so badly to it that they followed it up with some Valium. I only remember the pretty colored lights, and not giving a gently caress about what was happening to me afterwards. That one experience will be enough - I really don't want to take something that can make me not care if I live or die.

Drugs you're not used to can be scary as hell, especially if the doses aren't quite right. I've had a couple times where I've been hospitalized and either had a weird reaction to the gas they used, or the medicine I got for pain or muscle relaxing had to be toned back. A couple that come to mind are having my wisdom teeth pulled in '97, the dentist didn't quite mix the nitrous/oxygen right and I got a pretty massive dose of potent nitrous right off the bat through my handy nose-cone. Went from completely normal to "holy poo poo I'm in a rainbow Jello cube and everything is jigglin' like a fat dude using a jackhammer" but was otherwise fine. Another was the first rear-end car accident I was in, got hit by a F-150 that was doing more than the speed limit and messed my neck up. Got 800Mg ibuprofen for pain and Vicodin for muscle relaxing, doctor was like "yeah you can take 2 Vicodin, you're a decent sized guy" and sent me on my way. I took 2 pills and an hour later had to sort of crawl-slither upstairs to my bedroom, I felt like all the muscle and bone in my body turned into useless mush.

Weed doesn't bother me, I've used it off and on since high school, and the first (and only) time I ever tried salvia, my dresser grew an evil, black-eyed humanoid head and a million spider legs, and it felt like a vortex had opened up next to my bed and was desperately trying to suck me down into it. Be careful in your experimentation, folks :v:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

I got a dose of Ketamine once (after a dislocated kneecap). Apparently I reacted so badly to it that they followed it up with some Valium. I only remember the pretty colored lights, and not giving a gently caress about what was happening to me afterwards. That one experience will be enough - I really don't want to take something that can make me not care if I live or die.

That is called emergence phenomenon (sorry no wiki article, that was just the first google hit) and is why ketamine isn't the #1 universally popular general anesthetic. Coming out of a k-hole tends to freak people the gently caress out, so it is usually administered along with a sedative like valium to keep patients from leaping off the stretcher and throwing terrified haymakers at the nurses as their brain comes back online intermittently. Same thing with PCP, which used to be used as a fast acting general anesthetic as well and also tends to result in emergence behavior that is later regretted by all involved parties. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence with dissociatives.

Ketamine is still in use in emergency rooms because it has a ridiculously high safety profile (the useful dose is like 1/20th the lethal dose so you don't have to worry about accidentally killing someone or calling for an anesthesiologist). That is why ketamine and PCP are used as animal anesthetic & in tranquilizer darts, because it can be tough to get the exact dose right. Watching an animal come out of anesthesia at the vets office is tragicomic experience, I have never seen such a vivid expression of "what the loving gently caress just happened?". Well, except on people coming out of it.

Interestingly, as ketamine therapy has been experimentally used as a form of psychotherapy, where it is used in a controlled medical environment alongside various personality tests and psychological profiles, it has been noticed that severity of emergence phenomenon often correlates to both the subjects personality and their religious beliefs. Data suggests that thinking you're unexpectedly dead and standing before God and surrounded ghosts and can see forever etc. is a noticeably less traumatic experience for a friendly Muslim than for an antisocial atheist or an rear end in a top hat who happens to be a devout Roman Catholic. Fascinating stuff, too bad they don't do more clinical research.

Ozz81 posted:

Drugs you're not used to can be scary as hell, especially if the doses aren't quite right. I've had a couple times where I've been hospitalized and either had a weird [etc]

On a web forum where snorting your dogs pain medication is something people brag about, it is often forgotten how genuinely distressing and unpleasant an unexpected psychedelic experience can be, especially for people who don't do that sort of thing regularly. I mean, that's how some religions have gotten started.

Sorry for the lack of wiki links, I had a similarly themed link-heavy post starting with BZ and how its effects would be comfortably familiar to many a TCC poster as well as some of the religions inspired by tropane alkaloid shock, but I'll save that for another day/thread.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Oct 25, 2014

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
A summary by the Guardian of the murders of William and Patricia Wycherley.

A really unnerving case, where basically a lady and her husband murder her parents for their money, bury their bodies in the garden where they remain for 15 years. It get wierder when details are uncovered of the lives of the murderers, and the fact that no-one really cares much that two people have vanished off the face of the earth.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rasler posted:

A summary by the Guardian of the murders of William and Patricia Wycherley.

A really unnerving case, where basically a lady and her husband murder her parents for their money, bury their bodies in the garden where they remain for 15 years. It get wierder when details are uncovered of the lives of the murderers, and the fact that no-one really cares much that two people have vanished off the face of the earth.

What's even worse, somehow, is that there's never any accompanying photos of Patricia Wycherley, the murdered mother. The extended family/community didn't have one single photo of her. Not one. And only 2 blurry snapshots of the father.

It's just so grim and grey. No one has any good or bad memories of them, it's just a sea of indifference. No friends, no close relatives, neighbours who only noticed they had gone when the murderer was "tidying the garden". It seems like they purposefully made themselves reclusive, but it's still awful, to think you could be so little missed or mourned.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Strangelets

Back when CERN had people getting frightened by science all over again, these were among the more interesting of the doomsday scenarios. I imagine we'll see them as a sci-fi boogeyman for a long time.

quote:

If the strange matter hypothesis is correct and its surface tension is larger than the aforementioned critical value, then a larger strangelet would be more stable than a smaller one. One speculation that has resulted from the idea is that a strangelet coming into contact with a lump of ordinary matter could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter.[13][14] This "ice-nine"-like disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

This is not a concern for strangelets in cosmic rays because they are produced far from Earth and have had time to decay to their ground state, which is predicted by most models to be positively charged, so they are electrostatically repelled by nuclei, and would rarely merge with them.[15][16] But high-energy collisions could produce negatively charged strangelet states which live long enough to interact with the nuclei of ordinary matter.[17]

The danger of catalyzed conversion by strangelets produced in heavy-ion colliders has received some media attention, and concerns of this type were raised at the commencement of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) experiment at Brookhaven, which could potentially have created strangelets. A detailed analysis concluded that the RHIC collisions were comparable to ones which naturally occur as cosmic rays traverse the solar system, so we would already have seen such a disaster if it were possible. RHIC has been operating since 2000 without incident. Similar concerns have been raised about the operation of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN but such fears are dismissed as far-fetched by scientists.

In the case of a neutron star, the conversion scenario seems much more plausible. A neutron star is in a sense a giant nucleus (20 km across), held together by gravity, but it is electrically neutral and so does not electrostatically repel strangelets. If a strangelet hit a neutron star, it could convert a small region of it, and that region would grow to consume the entire star, creating a quark star.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Haha, "Ice-nine". Is Vonnegut that well known among physicists?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Pondex posted:

It's problematic because ice IX is a real (and boring) thing, one of the fifteen phases of solid water.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pondex posted:

Also a good description for a prion disease. Misfolded proteins that cause other proteins to spontaneously misfold. They'll spread until they run out of suitable matter to spread through. 'Luckily' that is usually contained to the brain of an individual.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Pondex posted:

I think he had a bit of a chemistry background, but he wasn't going for hard sci-fi, he just wanted a plausible sounding macguffin. His ice-nine isn't the biggest plot hole in the book, anyways.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Syd Midnight posted:

I think he had a bit of a chemistry background, but he wasn't going for hard sci-fi, he just wanted a plausible sounding macguffin. His ice-nine isn't the biggest plot hole in the book, anyways.

So what was that other plot hole? All I remember of that book was how cynical it was.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Syd Midnight posted:

It's not so much a plot hole as a plot device. But anyway: didn't Vonnegut talk about how it was inspired by crystals getting into chemical factory preparations and causing products to crystallize or behave in different ways? Or is that what characters in the book say?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

outlier posted:

It's not so much a plot hole as a plot device. But anyway: didn't Vonnegut talk about how it was inspired by crystals getting into chemical factory preparations and causing products to crystallize or behave in different ways? Or is that what characters in the book say?

According to Wikipedia, he got the idea from Irving Langmuir, who in turn thought it up while trying to entertain HG Wells.

The real-world analog, though, is crystal polymorphism (and, specifically, "disappearing polymorphs"). Basically, complex organic molecules can form a whole bunch of different crystal configurations, which exhibit different properties (like solubility, for instance), and are only stable under certain conditions. However, some forms exhibit metastability, where what seems to be the stable form of a crystal at a certain temperature is not actually the absolute lowest-energy configuration possible. So, what chemists and materials scientists saw was that they were able to make a crystal of one configuration, and then they varied up the process and created a new configuration, and then suddenly they were unable to get the original configuration back for months, or maybe they couldn't get it back at all.

I can't find the good write up I had of it, but the HIV drug Ritanovir is a great example. During R&D, they found one stable polymorph, and went into production making that. However, at some point, a second (and more stable) polymorph was randomly created in one of the production plants, and it proceeded to "infect" the entire production line because the new polymorph acted as a seed crystal and caused existing crystals of the original polymorph to be converted. This new form was less soluble, and ineffective as a drug in pill form. As scientists tried to figure out what was going on (and why only 1 plant was affected), they inadvertently carried trace amounts of the new polymorph with them as they visited other plants, which in turn "infected" those plants too. In the end, they were completely unable to make the original polymorph ever again, and had to change the drug to a liquid suspension.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SLOSifl posted:

Also a good description for a prion disease. Misfolded proteins that cause other proteins to spontaneously misfold. They'll spread until they run out of suitable matter to spread through. 'Luckily' that is usually contained to the brain of an individual.

"Usually." Not if someone eats the brain.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And we're back! :swoon:

That prion disease article is fascinating. If I read it correctly, it wasn't so much the practice brain eating so much as the fact someone's brain was diseased, was eaten, and spread its infection to others who eventually died, were eaten, and so on until it was spread across the region.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Slanderer posted:

According to Wikipedia, he got the idea from Irving Langmuir, who in turn thought it up while trying to entertain HG Wells.

The real-world analog, though, is crystal polymorphism (and, specifically, "disappearing polymorphs"). Basically, complex organic molecules can form a whole bunch of different crystal configurations, which exhibit different properties (like solubility, for instance), and are only stable under certain conditions. However, some forms exhibit metastability, where what seems to be the stable form of a crystal at a certain temperature is not actually the absolute lowest-energy configuration possible. So, what chemists and materials scientists saw was that they were able to make a crystal of one configuration, and then they varied up the process and created a new configuration, and then suddenly they were unable to get the original configuration back for months, or maybe they couldn't get it back at all.

I can't find the good write up I had of it, but the HIV drug Ritanovir is a great example. During R&D, they found one stable polymorph, and went into production making that. However, at some point, a second (and more stable) polymorph was randomly created in one of the production plants, and it proceeded to "infect" the entire production line because the new polymorph acted as a seed crystal and caused existing crystals of the original polymorph to be converted. This new form was less soluble, and ineffective as a drug in pill form. As scientists tried to figure out what was going on (and why only 1 plant was affected), they inadvertently carried trace amounts of the new polymorph with them as they visited other plants, which in turn "infected" those plants too. In the end, they were completely unable to make the original polymorph ever again, and had to change the drug to a liquid suspension.

This is really cool, and if you have a good article on this, please share.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Isn't thalidomide kind of the same way? I vaguely remember reading somewhere one orientation of the molecule is safe and fantastic at stopping morning sickness and the flipped one is teratogenic and that's what caused all the birth defects.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Chococat posted:

Isn't thalidomide kind of the same way? I vaguely remember reading somewhere one orientation of the molecule is safe and fantastic at stopping morning sickness and the flipped one is teratogenic and that's what caused all the birth defects.

Breaking Bad maybe?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Thalidomide is a chiral molecule with a benign configuration and a mirror image configuration that's teratogenic. The problem is that it's difficult if not impossible to screen out one from the other during production.

Kinda like how the flavors of spearmint and caraway are the same molecules, only mirror-images of one another.

Edit: Or what Ague Proof said.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Kinda like how the flavors of spearmint and caraway are the same molecules, only mirror-images of one another.

That is a very, VERY cool fact. I had no idea.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Thalidomide is a chiral molecule with a benign configuration and a mirror image configuration that's teratogenic. The problem is that it's difficult if not impossible to screen out one from the other during production.
Wikipedia says that the issue is that "Thalidomide is racemic; the individual enantiomers can racemize due to the acidic hydrogen at the chiral centre, and this process can occur in vivo so any plan to administer a purified single enantiomer to avoid the teratogenic effects will most likely be in vain"

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

Wikipedia says that the issue is that "Thalidomide is racemic; the individual enantiomers can racemize due to the acidic hydrogen at the chiral centre, and this process can occur in vivo so any plan to administer a purified single enantiomer to avoid the teratogenic effects will most likely be in vain"

drat, totally forgot that thalidomide could flip its chirality like that. Been a few years since college, yeah.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
wow on rereading I sound like I'm marching in all "well wiki says you're wrong" when really I was just thinking "oh wow it turns out it's even fuckeder than that"

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

S'all good man, and I'm glad you corrected me. Thalidomide is capital-G Great if you aren't a pregnant woman, but if you are then hoo boy.

To contribute, I'd like to once again bring attention to the fact that Harry Harlow was a monstrous human being who built "pits of dispair", which he named himself, for the express purpose of studying depression and isolation via monkey torture. If that wasn't bad enough, he then wondered if sticking a monkey in a tiny metal box for 10 weeks might make it a better parent. His methods of getting them pregnant are arguably more shocking than his findings.

quote:

Harlow also wanted to test how isolation would affect parenting skills, but the isolates were unable to mate. Artificial insemination had not then been developed; instead, Harlow devised what he called a "rape rack," to which the female isolates were tied in normal monkey mating posture. He found that, just as they were incapable of having sexual relations, they were also unable to parent their offspring, either abusing or neglecting them. "Not even in our most devious dreams could we have designed a surrogate as evil as these real monkey mothers were," he wrote. Having no social experience themselves, they were incapable of appropriate social interaction. One mother held her baby's face to the floor and chewed off his feet and fingers. Another crushed her baby's head. Most of them simply ignored their offspring.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harlow was a loving beast, easily as bad as the guy at Harvard who did brainwashing research on his students. I think a zoo in New York got his despair monkeys when he was done with them: he thought maybe a normal environment would help them. The zoo had to move them to a separate island habitat because they didn't do anything except sit and scream all day.

Edit: the guy who did brainwashing research on his students was Henry Murray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Murray

He got mad cash from the CIA to find ways of softening resistance and making subjects "pliable," which he pursued by having his undergraduate students keep diaries where they listed everything the believed in and everything of which they were ashamed. Then he collected them and hired an attorney to meet with them individually and humiliate them in a locked room using what they wrote. Murray recorded the sessions and made the students watch the films of themselves weekly. Murray was himself something of a film buff: he would secretly record himself doing BDSM stuff to graduate students he pressured into having affairs with him. The sex films were found after he died and prove him to be a pretty nasty sexual sadist.

Also, he's most famous for having made the first known psychological file on someone who would one day become very famous. One of his humiliation students was a bright 16-year-old math student named Theodore Kaczynski, who at the time was a naive and self-conscious patriot who loved his mom and dad and wanted to make them proud. After taking psychology, his interests changed slightly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Random request, but I remember a while ago people in this thread were talking about cruise ship disasters. I remember a website someone linked with a bunch of podcasts about different topics, mainly weird historical things, animals people are typically afraid of, etc. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? I remember their first podcast ever was about sharks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Edit: the guy who did brainwashing research on his students was Henry Murray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Murray

He got mad cash from the CIA to find ways of softening resistance and making subjects "pliable," which he pursued by having his undergraduate students keep diaries where they listed everything the believed in and everything of which they were ashamed. Then he collected them and hired an attorney to meet with them individually and humiliate them in a locked room using what they wrote. Murray recorded the sessions and made the students watch the films of themselves weekly. Murray was himself something of a film buff: he would secretly record himself doing BDSM stuff to graduate students he pressured into having affairs with him. The sex films were found after he died and prove him to be a pretty nasty sexual sadist.

Also, he's most famous for having made the first known psychological file on someone who would one day become very famous. One of his humiliation students was a bright 16-year-old math student named Theodore Kaczynski, who at the time was a naive and self-conscious patriot who loved his mom and dad and wanted to make them proud. After taking psychology, his interests changed slightly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

He's also the subject of a very good RadioLab segment.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91721-oops/

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Random request, but I remember a while ago people in this thread were talking about cruise ship disasters. I remember a website someone linked with a bunch of podcasts about different topics, mainly weird historical things, animals people are typically afraid of, etc. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? I remember their first podcast ever was about sharks.

Maybe Stuff You Missed In History Class? They talk about all kinds of interesting historical events, and the one I linked is about a series of shark attacks in 1916.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I just realized that Ted Kaczynski/The Unabomber is pretty much the closest real-life equivalent of a supervillain.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

That sounds significantly worse than Harlow, honestly.

Also, Shoko Asahara was pretty drat supervillain-esque.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Nov 3, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

My old podcast app has deleted the relevant podcasts, but it was Caustic Soda, Just the Tip, or The F Plus.

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

Arclyte posted:

Maybe Stuff You Missed In History Class? They talk about all kinds of interesting historical events, and the one I linked is about a series of shark attacks in 1916.

Thanks for the link, it wasn't this, but I should check these out too.

Kaizoku posted:

My old podcast app has deleted the relevant podcasts, but it was Caustic Soda, Just the Tip, or The F Plus.

It was Caustic Soda, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I just realized that Ted Kaczynski/The Unabomber is pretty much the closest real-life equivalent of a supervillain.

Rupert Murdoch?

Arclyte posted:

My speakers are broken, what is the deal with these shark attacks and why is it interesting?