Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Porkchop Express posted:

Perhaps I am reading the specs wrong, I was going off the depth of cut measurement which said 2-3/4 in. x 5-7/8 in, which I assumed was 2-3/4 deep and 5-7/8 wide. But now that I think about it thats kind of silly because the blade goes below the surface where the wood sits, and there is obviously more than 4" space between that and the blade! :doh:

You are not silly, it will not cut through. If depth of cut is 2 3/4, a 4x4 is actually ~3.5", so you will have about 3/4" uncut. Usually people just flip the board over. The motor being on the side can also sometimes get in the way of making a cut. Better saws have the motor in the back. Like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61776.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

wormil posted:

You are not silly, it will not cut through. If depth of cut is 2 3/4, a 4x4 is actually ~3.5", so you will have about 3/4" uncut. Usually people just flip the board over. The motor being on the side can also sometimes get in the way of making a cut. Better saws have the motor in the back. Like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61776.html

If its only that much left I can manage flipping it over, it beats spending top dollar for a bigger one. My fiance is really in to building this thing but I foresee her losing interest, if she does at least I won't be out a ton of money!

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Porkchop Express posted:

If its only that much left I can manage flipping it over, it beats spending top dollar for a bigger one. My fiance is really in to building this thing but I foresee her losing interest, if she does at least I won't be out a ton of money!

get the 12" from HF, best of both worlds!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

dhrusis posted:

get the 12" from HF, best of both worlds!

Eh for that price I would just get a dewalt from Home Depot. If we continue with this hobby I may upgrade later, but we shall see.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Porkchop Express posted:

Eh for that price I would just get a dewalt from Home Depot. If we continue with this hobby I may upgrade later, but we shall see.

The most expensive tool is the one you buy twice.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

mds2 posted:

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Porkchop Express posted:

hmmm, I recall the HD dewalt is like 300+? You can get the HF double bevel 12" for like 130 or less on sale/coupon. Don't pay full price for anything at HF ever ever ever.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

If you aren't in a rush it might be worth waiting till the end of Nov for some sick Black Friday sales.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Are Garlick and Sons decent for saws? Couldn't find a Veritas tenon saw anywhere nearby so picked up one of those in a 12" tenon crosscut.

Next step, workbench. I'll take pictures so you can all laugh at me.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Well she wants to do this Saturday, but I was at Home Depot today picking up some work stuff and saw they had a ryobi miter saw marked down to $100 for the 10" version that will cut up to a 4x4.

Looks like it's not quite that low on their website, don't know if someone in the sore picked up but I snatched one up so I guess I am set!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Are Garlick and Sons decent for saws? Couldn't find a Veritas tenon saw anywhere nearby so picked up one of those in a 12" tenon crosscut.

Next step, workbench. I'll take pictures so you can all laugh at me.

I've never heard of them but their website claims that the saws are made in the UK so if it's true then that's a pretty good start. A lot of the old brands that were known for quality tools got sold off and now they're made in China. Marples is a good example of that.

I've been working on my workbench off and on for about a year now. I just started chopping mortises in the legs last month. I've been using the laminated tops on sawhorses for a bench in the meantime.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Work benches are one of those things I constantly want to remake. I'll make a new one for the garage and then a week later have ideas for a new one.

I really should just settle in and make a Roubu style bench some day...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Realizing suddenly that I don't have any sort of work surface, not even a sawhorse. I think I might just go buy the 5' harbor freight workbench and if I get uppity later I can make my own. It's on sale right now so it's a pretty good deal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

I've looked at that bench many times and it looks like a good bench. I think most people complain about the drawers only pulling out half way, but you can easily switch out the drawer guides to full extension.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

mds2 posted:

I've looked at that bench many times and it looks like a good bench. I think most people complain about the drawers only pulling out half way, but you can easily switch out the drawer guides to full extension.

Yeah. It comes disassembled (and presumably boxed), so I'll see if I can get lucky and it'll fit in my GTI so I don't need to pay shipping. My kingdom for a bigger storage area in my car.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm looking for a beginner level work bench as my first project. Anyone have any good ones? I found this one today.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/video/device/mobile/t/57561330/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench.htm?m_n=true#.VFL_Dhko7qA

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Whale Cancer posted:

I'm looking for a beginner level work bench as my first project. Anyone have any good ones? I found this one today.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/video/device/mobile/t/57561330/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench.htm?m_n=true#.VFL_Dhko7qA

I'm in the same boat as you and that looks pretty nice. The only thing missing is a vice, which I assume is not terribly hard to setup or tack on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm gonna build Matthias Wandels bench design for my first bench, later I'm planning to make a proper roubo bench with scandinavian L-vise.

https://woodgears.ca/workbench/build.html

I like the dowel joining idea. I don't have an old door so I'll laminate together a top using leftover 2x6s or 2x8s boards, not sure of their exact size, big and wide though. The idea is to use a bunch of short boards and laminate them together (because I have more short boards than long ones) and then take a long board and rip it in half and make end caps from it, probably using a tongue and groove arrangement to attach it to the laminated boards.

Given wood movement I wonder if I ought to glue the endcaps, or if I should use screws with oval holes. Probably the latter.

Next step would be adding drawers, I'd also add an extra board on one front leg to make it flush so I can build and mount a leg vise there.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is it worth it to build a router table around my plunge router?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

If you don't have a router table already, then yes, you want to have one. There are plenty of tasks that aren't realistic to do with a handheld router but can readily be done with a table.

I don't know specifically about the plunge aspect though. I have a plunge base for my router, but I haven't used it much.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

You can, but you'd be happier with a normal base. Or better yet a router lift. Plunge bases can be a real mother fucker to adjust accurately while upside down mounted in a table.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

That's probably not going to be heavy enough for a woodworking workbench. For a general utility workbench I like the Hammerzone design: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mds2 posted:

no, pretty sure it's festool

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

rotor posted:

no, pretty sure it's festool

Don't buy the wrong Domino the first time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When I worked only with power tools a regular garage style bench was fine but the past couple years I've been using more hand tools and those workbenches don't cut it. If you see yourself ever using a handsaw or plane, look into building a woodworking bench like Schwartz' $175 workbench.

edit; typo

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 31, 2014

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Whale Cancer posted:

I built this same bench and it does the job. I probably have a few hundred pounds of tools on the bottom and top shelves, but when I'm hand planing or sawing it still has the tendency to wobble and move a bit. A couple of modifications I have made to it as I have progressed my woodworking: Twin screw vise at the front left (cost more than the bench itself), a small piece of hardwood sticking up at the front left as a plane stop and an additional 2x4 at the front apron so it is flush with the top for clamping.

My next bench will a proper woodworking bench from Chris Schwartz's book. I really like the idea of using the bench as a clamping surface and the shelf/pegboard on this bench doesn't really allow for that. That being said, I'm probably not going to build a bench until I move again which won't be for another 3 or 4 years.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

You bastards talked me into a table saw. I am looking around for a used one but I'm not having any luck. It's unfortunate I live in a small town and I'm about 90 minutes from a major city.

Are all of the portable or bench top table saws crap?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I have a shitbox Pro Tech bench table saw, which is effectively 1.5ft x 1.5ft with one of those thin sort of aluminum tops/fences.

It works fine for ripping boards but if you want to do panels/anything fancy like you see people doing with cabinet saws then you'll want to build a base/stand around it.

I took mine and made a stand around it and added more surface area with some plywood/melamine. Then I found some closet rails from a architectural salvage and used that with some oak wood to make a homemade biesemeyer fence and miter slots etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a question, it probably sounds dumb but what is varnish? I am specifically thinking of the water based varnish used a lot by Matthias Wandel and others in videos and projects. Translating it gives an ambiguous answer. I guess it's either an acrylic based lacquer or polyurethane. I bought some water based poly finish to use on shop projects and the like, though perhaps this varnish, if it's not that, is better suited?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 3, 2014

ADHDan
Sep 22, 2006

A genuinely kind goon who goes out of his way to help others. These traits can't be diminished by the fact that he actually likes Minneapolis.

Falcon2001 posted:

Realizing suddenly that I don't have any sort of work surface, not even a sawhorse. I think I might just go buy the 5' harbor freight workbench and if I get uppity later I can make my own. It's on sale right now so it's a pretty good deal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html

I have this bench and I really like it. I beefed it up quite a bit by enclosing three of the four sides with 3/4" plywood panels trimmed with long strips of solid oak, which pretty much totally eliminated any racking issues and will allow me to eventually build cabinets into the bottom. I also added a cheap 6" vise onto the front left side, where it JUST allows enough clearance for the drawer. (I had to drill out holes to mount it and cut through a screw in one of them, but it wasn't a big deal.) And I put it on four stamp-down casters from Rockler to make it mobile, and screwed a 3/4" plywood board under the legs to make a bottom shelf, which is just the right size to hold some plastic storage tubs and also helps prevent racking.

I don't do a ton of hand tool work so I don't know how well it would stand up to heavy duty planing even with the panel mods, but for my purposes it's plenty sturdy. Plus if you get it on sale and use a 25% off coupon, it's practically worth it just for the benchtop.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

So my fiancé and I built our coffee table this weekend! For the most part it came out ok, but all of my miter cuts kept coming out 1/16 to short! Luckily every cut was that way so it all fit together fine, I'm just trying to figure out why.

I think the biggest problem is that it was the first time I have ever used one, I am sure the problem has to do with me not lining the blade up correctly next to the cut. I was using the built in laser guide, which I thought I had zeroed in, but maybe I should just use the blade to line my cuts up?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Laser is probably aligned with the center of the blade but you should align the blade to one side of your cut line. As you learned, precision usually trumps accuracy.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm thinking of building an impeller like this for a dust collecctor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxFNUWD2GQ

One thing Im confused about the cyclonic systems, is where the dust comes in. Are the chips/dust going through the impeller itself ? Does anyone have a good diagram of how this sort of thing works ?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think ideally you'd have that AFTER a cyclone separator, which would lead to just the smallest amount of fine dust actually making it to the impeller. However, having said that, my dust collector gives no shits and everything goes right through the impeller itself, although there is a (extremely coarse, like 1" holes) grate on there.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah I was thinking if the motor isn't exposed to the shrapnel then I might not give a poo poo.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

wormil posted:

Laser is probably aligned with the center of the blade but you should align the blade to one side of your cut line. As you learned, precision usually trumps accuracy.

Yeah, I just need to play with it and get it dialed in. The instructions don't even reference adjusting the laser, I just found the adjustment screw after looking around the saw for it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sylink posted:

I'm thinking of building an impeller like this for a dust collecctor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxFNUWD2GQ

One thing Im confused about the cyclonic systems, is where the dust comes in. Are the chips/dust going through the impeller itself ? Does anyone have a good diagram of how this sort of thing works ?

The whole point of the cyclone (actually a thien baffle in that video) is to separate away 99% of the air before it hits the filter. Some dust extractors are built so everything goes through the impeller, this is not a good design IMO. The separator should ideally come before and get rid of most debris, then you can filter the air before returning it back into the shot, or preferably, vent it outside. If you're building one like this I think it's more important to separate before the impeller as it might not take the same kind of abuse as a metal one.

John Heisz disliked that the impeller was on the wrong side to the point he rebuilt his:
http://www.ibuildit.ca/Workshop%20Projects/dust-collector-rebuild-1.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It does seem weird to put impellers on the debris side but I suppose it's an efficiency thing. I do like that little twang when I suck up a wasp.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a question, it probably sounds dumb but what is varnish? I am specifically thinking of the water based varnish used a lot by Matthias Wandel and others in videos and projects. Translating it gives an ambiguous answer. I guess it's either an acrylic based lacquer or polyurethane. I bought some water based poly finish to use on shop projects and the like, though perhaps this varnish, if it's not that, is better suited?

Varnish is... gently caress trying to explain it wiki is accurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So I'm trying to get some ideas for Christmas gifts that I can pump out fairly easily that aren't chopping boards. I'm going to give tealight candle holders in a yin yang design a shot. Any one got any other go to builds?