Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

I dunno, they're pretty drat similar looking, right down to the shape of their hair:

If these are meant to be different, distinct characters, i'm really not seeing it.

What c'mon SFM clearly has an unruly tuft of hair that Nahiri doesn't have, and is missing a band of markings on her shoulder. How do you explain that, stoneforged tattoo removal?

It's not hard to imagine that Nahiri taught a line of Kor how to shape the earth kind of like how Jaya Ballard had a thing that some other red-aligned planeswalker grew up in, who went on to adopt her goggles or something. Clothes being an identifying factor is just weird considering that there's a well known series of video games out there about different sword-wielding protagonists who all wear the same clothes.

Also all imperial stormtroopers are the same person by corrollary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

At most the Stoneforge Mystics choose to look exactly like Nahiri as a sign of respect and admiration, or something.

Kor: the multiverse's best equipment-makers and cosplayers.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Nahiri's +2 is going to read just "draw two cards" a lot of the time thanks to skullclamp so I think there will be a spot for it in a lot of edh decks

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I think the real scandal here is that she's been wearing the same clothes for a few hundred goddamn years and hasn't once changed her hairstyle. Get with the times, girl.

Cernunnos posted:

They saw an opportunity and they took it.

Though I'd have rather seen Nahiri in Standard.

I dunno it was pretty awful the last time it happened

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Look at the great new artwork for mass calcify:

Stony Silence? Oblivion Ring?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Seconds before Emrakul comes crashing down on everything as an over sized block of salt. That's really all I can imagine here.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cernunnos posted:

They saw an opportunity and they took it.

Though I'd have rather seen Nahiri in Standard.

I guess it's not out of the question they could do a different card for her in the Tarkir block, they've had three Garruks in standard at one point so it's not so crazy, I suppose. Or probably the Tarkir set will be about reviving Ulgin, with maybe no "big bad" besides Bolas's influence from afar, and we get a standard legal Nahiri next time the story involves the threat of Eldrazi.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

You already did, back when she was Stoneforge Mystic.

I Love You! posted:

I dunno it was pretty awful the last time it happened

I meant as a cool new Planeswalker. Maybe we still will.

Also I didn't play during Zendikar block. :v: (I know Stoneforge was oppressive)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What do you do with a life size Eldrazi statue? Makes a hell of a garden gnome.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Bring it to school for Show and Tell, obviously.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zoness posted:

What c'mon SFM clearly has an unruly tuft of hair that Nahiri doesn't have, and is missing a band of markings on her shoulder. How do you explain that, stoneforged tattoo removal?

I actually think the band of markings is dripped magma from the blade hardening on her shoulder :black101:

Zoness posted:

Also, this artwork is amazing (and adorable). Sorin holding Nahiri's arm in wonder after the spell actually worked :3:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Mass Calcify shouldn't have been able to work on Ulamog :spergin:

e: Wait, do we know for sure that that's what it is?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Nahiri's +2 is going to read just "draw two cards" a lot of the time thanks to skullclamp so I think there will be a spot for it in a lot of edh decks

I love that in EDH things like Sol Ring and Skull Clamp are fine but Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial are too scary.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

I meant as a cool new Planeswalker. Maybe we still will.

Also I didn't play during Zendikar block. :v: (I know Stoneforge was oppressive)

Stoneforge wasn't actually oppressive until after Mirrodin Besieged came out. In retrospect, it probably should have been in the best deck after Scars came out, but Caw-Blade wasn't actually developed until Besieged came out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, Stoneforge Mystic wasn't broken in Standard until they printed Sword of Feast and Famine, and then Sword of War and Peace and Batterskull.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I love that in EDH things like Sol Ring and Skull Clamp are fine but Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial are too scary.

To be fair, it makes every other banlist look reasonable by comparison, so that's something you can thank Sheldon for.

Elyv posted:

Stoneforge wasn't actually oppressive until after Mirrodin Besieged came out. In retrospect, it probably should have been in the best deck after Scars came out, but Caw-Blade wasn't actually developed until Besieged came out.

When it was just printed it could only find Adventuring Gear, Trusty Machete, and Basilisk Collar.

But then when you pair it up with birds holding swords and some random blue planeswalker it's pretty insane.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sword of feast/famine wasn't until besieged, and that was the big incentive for the SFM/Squadron Hawk package.
EFB; Yea, then Batterskull busted everything wide open.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cool card, and a good example of why people are critical of a lot of other cards in the set. Just because you're making big splashy cards that will never break into eternal formats doesn't mean you can't make interesting and fun cards to play with.

This is great and has some unique effects as opposed to a lovely version of goblin welder with a looting ability.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kibler's Caw-Go was already debatably the best deck in SoM Standard and pros have said that, in retrospect, that deck with Stoneforge and Sword of Body and Mind probably would have been very good. Either way we're nitpicking over formats from like 3 years ago so whatever.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Cool card, and a good example of why people are critical of a lot of other cards in the set. Just because you're making big splashy cards that will never break into eternal formats doesn't mean you can't make interesting and fun cards to play with.

This is great and has some unique effects as opposed to a lovely version of goblin welder with a looting ability.

This card is totally sweet for EDH. I can seriously see a creatureless deck with her as commander with just shitloads of equipment and living weapons, relying on your little dudes to carry it all. Probably not hyper competitive but fun to play.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zoness posted:

To be fair, it makes every other banlist look reasonable by comparison, so that's something you can thank Sheldon for.

When it was just printed it could only find Adventuring Gear, Trusty Machete, and Basilisk Collar.

But then when you pair it up with birds holding swords and some random blue planeswalker it's pretty insane.

Also it got played to fetch whatever the armadillo cloak equipment from Alara Reborn was, but yeah.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
These commander products will be sold online too, right?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Terrible Horse posted:

These commander products will be sold online too, right?

Yes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Can't wait for the newest bug to be that you can't use the walker commanders as commanders!

Vv even better than anything I could've thought of. VV

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 29, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Or when you put them in your Legacy deck they go to the command zone when they die.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Or when you put them in your Legacy deck they go to the command zone when they die.

That would be pretty great.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

odiv posted:

This is almost guaranteed to happen isn't it?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

Strap a fleshlight or two to it and go to town

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's more like playing Trash for Treasure for +1 mana and having the ability to loot afterwards, but don't let that get in the way of declaring a card lovely because it doesn't compare to one of the best red creatures of all time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Whoa, look at Ugin over there, being all green and poo poo. Is this scene from the first time the Eldrazi were sealed?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's not even about power level, Nahiri isn't busted or amazing as far as raw power but it does cool things and is genuinely new and interesting.

Being able to describe a new walker in terms of two different cards isn't a good thing, and especially so when the two effects aren't particularly powerful or compelling.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are Kor, anyway? White elves? What makes them special?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It was kinda cool to see where they were from if you remember Tempest block.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

What are Kor, anyway? White elves?

Basically.

C-Euro posted:

What makes them special?
Nothing, really.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

odiv posted:

Let's start brewing 55 card decks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

It was kinda cool to see where they were from if you remember Tempest block.

Yeah, I remember Tempest block and thought they were artificially made or something, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear I'm wrong. If they're just "white elves" how come they haven't appeared more often?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

C-Euro posted:

What makes them special?

No living Kor has a power greater than 2 outside of a few fringe cases of old cards that had the word "Kor" in them before the creature type overhaul. It's sort of their unspoken "thing".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, I remember Tempest block and thought they were artificially made or something, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear I'm wrong. If they're just "white elves" how come they haven't appeared more often?

The races that all had shadow were from other planes or something.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

The races that all had shadow were from other planes or something.

That's the soltari, dauthi, and thalakos though. Rath was an artificial plane so everyone was grabbed from somewhere else (also a thing for mirrodin) but shadow is specifically races that were stuck between planes during the transfer.

In time spiral residents of the city of traitors were also trapped between planes during the overlay, along with some slivers, hence the shadow sliver and il-shadow creatures (zealot il-vec, looter il-kor, drifter il-dal).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.

Zoness posted:

This looks like a cutscene from an early PlayStation game.

• Locked thread