Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stall_19 posted:

Man, you have 1 rape scene in 1 episode of 24 and you're known as a 'rape anime'. Okay....

Well, yeah, that's kind of how things work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

Well, yeah, that's kind of how things work

it probably makes finding a good hentai confusing.

"...the rape one." :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

But you gently caress one goat....

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Are there any other series (or manga) with strong female protagonists and a story that doesn't revolve around romance? I was just thinking about this and realized that I can't think of a single thing other than the 12 Kingdoms that fits this criteria. I think I've heard that Seirei Moribito is like this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ytlaya posted:

Are there any other series (or manga) with strong female protagonists and a story that doesn't revolve around romance? I was just thinking about this and realized that I can't think of a single thing other than the 12 Kingdoms that fits this criteria. I think I've heard that Seirei Moribito is like this?

Lots? Kino's Journey, Psycho-Pass, Madoka, Kyousougiga, and Battle Angel Alita should get you started.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

How narrowly or broadly are you defining "strong" and "revolve around romance"? :hr:, Kino's Journey, Humanity Has Declined, and Ghost in the Shell are the first things that come to mind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. (Manga)

Which also happens to be one of the best works of sequential art around.

Edit: I'd 2nd most of the examples in the previous couple posts too.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 29, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bodacious space pirates.

I really wish they had come up with a better title.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blhue posted:

Bodacious space pirates.

Yeah, it's like the single biggest title/show disconnect in the past few years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gundam: Build Fighters Try is shaping up pretty good as this too.

a kitten posted:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. (Manga)

Which also happens to be one of the best works of sequential art around.

Edit: I'd 2nd most of the examples in the previous couple posts too.

If you're going to get this though, do yourself a favour and get the big-rear end boxed hardcover set. It's gorgeous :allears:.

I can't find an amazon listing, so you'll probably have to look in actual stores for it, but it looks like this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, thanks, I hadn't heard of Kino's Journey. I've read Battle Angel Alita, which I suppose also meets my criteria, though for some reason I have trouble articulating I don't really think of her as "strong." She's physically powerful, but I don't think she's been a very strong character otherwise in recent chapters (I don't really like this god-like cat android thing she has going on right now). I used 12 Kingdoms as an example because the main character has a pretty clear development arc that ends in her being a much more mature, well-rounded person. I've also never seen/read Naussica, though I've been telling myself to for years now.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

Bodacious space pirates.

It's less bad when you realize they thought of it as a portmanteau of bold and audacious, but yeah.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

unpronounceable posted:

It's less bad when you realize they thought of it as a portmanteau of bold and audacious, but yeah.
Well, that is exactly what it is. It turns out that doesn't completely convey the meaning, though.

Reminds me of that one series about girls making manga, and the author thought it would be clever to call it Mangirl!

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ytlaya posted:

Moribito is one of the best examples of that. Balsa serves more of a maternal role in the story, while also being a competent badass. Show has a loving amazing OST, too.

Also, unironically, A Certain Scientific Railgun. It's basically a standard Shounen Battle show(which means there is fanservice, full disclosure) except with an almost entirely female cast.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I finished watching AngelBeats after a recommendation here. It was pretty good, the ending was sad but not soulcrushingly so. I was hoping to clarify a couple things from the ending though.

First, so Otonashi's heart went to Kanade as a donor. I guess the passage of time in an eternal place like purgatory doesn't mean anything, so there was just some indeterminable amount of time in which Otonashi was just "floating" around before he arrived at purgatory? Especially since it seemed Kanade had been there a while before him even though she died some time after him due to receiving his donor organ.

Secondly and more importantly, from the very end when Kanade is humming Isazawa's song and Otonashi walks past and then doubles back. Is this a reinforcement of the Buddhist reincarnation theme? Like, is it actually supposed to be they were reincarnated and reunited in new lives? And then, more related to Buddhism-- is permanence of memory of past lives part of that cycle? Or was that just for the story's sake/artistic interpretation?

Thanks for the recommendation!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the ending is more just Key's preference for having their cake and eating it too when it comes to their tragedies. The characters are put through the wringer but because of ~Magic~ it works out in the end anyway. You've probably put more thought into it than they did. Now despite what I just wrote above I don't really mind this sort of thing, at least when it comes to Key. I even kind of like what they did with Angel Beats, Clannad, and Little Busters all told. It's their bread&butter and hey it seems to work well enough for them.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 29, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I think the ending is more just Key's preference for having their cake and eating it too when it comes to their tragedies. The characters are put through the wringer but because of ~Magic~ it works out in the end anyway. You've probably put more thought into it than they did. Now despite I just wrote above I don't really mind this sort of thing, at least when it comes to Key. I even kind of like what they did with Angel Beats, Clannad, and Little Busters all told. It's their bread&butter and hey it seems to work well enough for them.

Clannad's ending worked in my opinion, since the entire thing felt like a bit of a fairy tale. I feel that the discrepancies in Angel Beats ending will be worked out in the VN since they'll have more than 13 half hour episodes to tell a story.

That being said, Angel Beats managed to blind side me and I was a blubbering idiot during most of the ending. Still not sure how since it hasn't affected me that heavily on rewatches.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 29, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

since it hasn't affected me that heavily on rewatches.

Isn't this the case with almost everything in life, though? For the record, I got a little teary-eyed at the end of Angel Beats, as well.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Drifter posted:

Isn't this the case with almost everything in life, though? For the record, I got a little teary-eyed at the end of Angel Beats, as well.

In contrast, four parts of Clannad never fail to get to me, namely the end of Kotomi's arc, and the endings of episode 16, 18, and 22 of After Story. I think it was just me being completely caught off guard by the scene itself, probably due to the music and the voice actors really selling it. I honestly can't tell why it hasn't affected me like that again, since My Song still gets to me. Maybe I'll watch it again next year and get blown away, who knows!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's because Angel Beats is relentlessly mediocre, while Jun Maeda and his waifu whacking ways managed to somehow make something that while flawed is actually genuine in Clannad, much like Fleming discovering penicillin

hth

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

It's because Angel Beats is relentlessly mediocre, while Jun Maeda and his waifu whacking ways managed to somehow make something that while flawed is actually genuine in Clannad, much like Fleming discovering penicillin

hth

Does Clannad have a character say "get chance and luck" though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Does Clannad have a character say "get chance and luck" though.

If TK were more important in Angel Beats it may have had a fighting chance of being good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like a lot of individual parts of Angel Beats a lot, but when strung all together it doesn't really work. Maybe it would've been resolved with more than one cour, maybe not. We'll presumably have our answer if the VN ever comes out (it's a footrace between it and the Tsukihime remake I guess).

The ending or at least the last episode is one of the parts I liked at least though. Repeating the ED sequence but with the characters disappearing from it in the order they did in the show? Clever girl.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Moribito is one of the best examples of that. Balsa serves more of a maternal role in the story, while also being a competent badass. Show has a loving amazing OST, too.

Also, unironically, A Certain Scientific Railgun. It's basically a standard Shounen Battle show(which means there is fanservice, full disclosure) except with an almost entirely female cast.

The first season was mostly shenanigans and physically lesbian agression, but was ok. The second season A Certain Scientific Railgun S is where the show really distinguished itself.

Also this is the second time someone has asked for "strong female protagonist, no romance" and everyone failed to mention Twelve Kingdoms in the last few months. Seriously, what's wrong with you all? I totally missed it, my bad.

Nate RFB posted:

I like a lot of individual parts of Angel Beats a lot, but when strung all together it doesn't really work. Maybe it would've been resolved with more than one cour, maybe not. We'll presumably have our answer if the VN ever comes out (it's a footrace between it and the Tsukihime remake I guess).

The ending or at least the last episode is one of the parts I liked at least though. Repeating the ED sequence but with the characters disappearing from it in the order they did in the show? Clever girl.

Imo, all of the show's flaws would have been fixed with a second cour. It's a drat shame.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 29, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Ytlaya posted:

I can't think of a single thing other than the 12 Kingdoms that fits this criteria.

That's probably the reason why in this instance. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What the gently caress is a cour?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Drifter posted:

A mini season I think. ~13 episodes usually

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

One cour is about 13 episodes, two is 26 etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drifter posted:

It's what we're calling 'seasons' now, apparently.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Sakurazuka posted:

It's what we're calling 'seasons' now, apparently.

if we didn't then we'd have to say that the first season of psycho-pass is two seasons long and that's really dumb

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Outer Science posted:

if we didn't then we'd have to say that the first season of psycho-pass is two seasons long and that's really dumb

It did air through two actual seasons. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outer Science posted:

The first series of Psycho-Pass is two seasons OH MY GOD

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

except that's not how people use series for the most part (i know they do in britain but lol britain)

series refers to the entire show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am in Britain so shut the gently caress up

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just get used to calling them cours, it's not a hard word to understand, and this way people who aren't British know what you're talking about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NO, it sounds silly.

From now on I will refer to the first season of Psycho-Pass as season 1-1 and season 1-2 and will obviously refer to the second season in a similar naming convention once it reaches the stage where I have to.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cours

"Cours (TV production), a unit of production in Japanese TV programs equivalent to 13 episodes"

Educate yourselves nerds, there's a reason why they're referred to that way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe we can compromise, we'll start using programme/series instead of series/season if you folks stop saying "zed" instead of "zee".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zed's dead, baby, zed's dead.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

From now on I will refer to the first season of Psycho-Pass as season 1-1 and season 1-2 and will obviously refer to the second season in a similar naming convention once it reaches the stage where I have to.

Actually, since anime seasons rarely air sequentially and often make big changes between seasons, it's more useful to think of them as sequels. For example, the official title for the second season of Psycho-Pass is just "Psycho-Pass 2", and this time it's only 1-cour instead of two.

• Locked thread