Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I have two apple IDs. An older one with which I purchased a number of apps, and a newer one. I'd like to just use one with my current email. It seems like I can't merge accounts, but is there a best solution for this? Will I be able to download the older apps with the newer ID without paying again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wow yeah those Camera+ patch notes :smugissar: I like "very diligent 1 star reviewers" and "poomongers".

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

DorianGravy posted:

I have two apple IDs. An older one with which I purchased a number of apps, and a newer one. I'd like to just use one with my current email. It seems like I can't merge accounts, but is there a best solution for this? Will I be able to download the older apps with the newer ID without paying again?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

Just use your store account as your store account and your icloud account as your icloud account, enjoy.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

DorianGravy posted:

You can use apps from many accounts on one device regardless of whatever account you're currently logged in as. Log in to Account A and download apps > log into account B and continue to use app.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Bummey posted:

You can use apps from many accounts on one device regardless of whatever account you're currently logged in as. Log in to Account A and download apps > log into account B and continue to use app.

Ok, this sounds like a fine solution. Thanks Bummey and chaos.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

DorianGravy posted:

Ok, this sounds like a fine solution. Thanks Bummey and chaos.

Keep in mind that, since the app licensing is bound up in the files themselves, you will need to re-enter that original login and password whenever those apps need updates. You control both accounts so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sharing apps with friends, on the other hand, will require password trust or personal visits whenever updates need doing.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Bummey posted:

Keep in mind that, since the app licensing is bound up in the files themselves, you will need to re-enter that original login and password whenever those apps need updates. You control both accounts so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sharing apps with friends, on the other hand, will require password trust or personal visits whenever updates need doing.

Alright, thanks. I'll probably download the free ones under the new account so that only the paid ones (which I doubt is very many) are still under the old one.

One more question: Can apps sync between Android and iOS? For instance: flipboard, pocketcasts, ibird. I've been using Android recently (and will probably continue using an android phone), but am thinking about getting an ipad.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Regarding the earlier podcast app chat. I'm sticking with Pocket Casts because they recently put out their web player which syncs play and listened status so I can use my computer if I don't feel like using my phone. Unfortunately its another 10 bucks to use.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DorianGravy posted:

Alright, thanks. I'll probably download the free ones under the new account so that only the paid ones (which I doubt is very many) are still under the old one.

One more question: Can apps sync between Android and iOS? For instance: flipboard, pocketcasts, ibird. I've been using Android recently (and will probably continue using an android phone), but am thinking about getting an ipad.

Yes, if they use an external account. Flipboard and pocketcasts work that way, AFAIK.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So it used to be Goodreader, but is there a new good option for reading and annotating PDFs? Both iPhone and iPad, and supports Dropbox

Pdf pro 2 looks pretty good, any recs for that or something else?

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Regarding the earlier podcast app chat. I'm sticking with Pocket Casts because they recently put out their web player which syncs play and listened status so I can use my computer if I don't feel like using my phone. Unfortunately its another 10 bucks to use.

Overcast has a web player too (important feature to me). I just switched from Android with PocketCasts to iPhone, and I think I'm going to end up moving all my podcasts to Overcast since I'd need to buy the iOS version of PocketCasts anyway.

Fake edit: I have faith the PocketCasts web client will get better but for $10 right now it sucks balls.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Yall people care an insane amount about how you press play to listen to Uhh Yeah Dude.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

So it used to be Goodreader, but is there a new good option for reading and annotating PDFs? Both iPhone and iPad, and supports Dropbox

Haven't used that one but I've been using PDF Expert by Readdle for a while. You can semi check it out with their free Documents app which has the file management UI more or less all there, but PDF Expert has a different viewing engine iirc and otherwise full annotation/editing options (while Documents is really bare bones there).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sobriquet posted:

Overcast has a web player too (important feature to me). I just switched from Android with PocketCasts to iPhone, and I think I'm going to end up moving all my podcasts to Overcast since I'd need to buy the iOS version of PocketCasts anyway.

Fake edit: I have faith the PocketCasts web client will get better but for $10 right now it sucks balls.

Yup, doesn't work at all for me in Firefox at work, so essentially useless for me. I *think* its some squirrelly problem with my Firefox install, but it's clearly not too robust.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I just came back to iOS for the new iPad, and it seems like some of my goto apps have been abandoned in the last year or two. I need recommendations for:
- the best ssh client: I used to use issh, also have prompt.
- The best File Browser / Samba / Downloads type app. I used to use FileBrowser, seems like there must be something better.
- The best Comic reader app (for Cbr /Cbz files). I have comicFlow and YACReader, I feel like there's something better out there.

I can't see any of these mentioned in the OP.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

wooger posted:

I just came back to iOS for the new iPad, and it seems like some of my goto apps have been abandoned in the last year or two. I need recommendations for:
- The best File Browser / Samba / Downloads type app. I used to use FileBrowser, seems like there must be something better.
- The best Comic reader app (for Cbr /Cbz files). I have comicFlow and YACReader, I feel like there's something better out there.

Probably Documents and Comic Zeal for the bottom two.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm partial to ComicRack myself. But probably because I have all my stuff already curated on the desktop app (Windows only at the moment unfortunately) and wireless syncing is neat.

Edit: I take that back, there's a method for Mac too: https://code.google.com/p/comictagger/

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

In addition to all the great suggestions posted already, it wouldn't hurt to call Apple support and see what they can do. I've never dealt with their phone customer support before but they've always been pretty good to me online. It's probably something that's "impossible" to do but hey, wouldn't hurt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I wasn't aware that it stopped being goodreader. I still love goodreader!

I haven't seen another app that has non destructive cropping and page customization support, and those are key for me.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

bvoid posted:

In addition to all the great suggestions posted already, it wouldn't hurt to call Apple support and see what they can do. I've never dealt with their phone customer support before but they've always been pretty good to me online. It's probably something that's "impossible" to do but hey, wouldn't hurt.

You can call all you want, but it's a gigantic waste of time since they aren't going to merge your accounts. Maybe your uncle who works for Apple will have sway down the road, but if someone told you they had their accounts merged they are lying to you. Just use one for the AppStore and one for mail/icloud as suggested.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

wooger posted:

SSH Term is pretty solid in my experience. Works well with my bluetooth keyboard (iPad), and pops up reminders for idle background connections that are about to disconnect. GoodReader has you covered in terms of file browser/samba/downloads app. And for comics, I used to be a Comic Zeal fan but recently switched to ComicGlass for its smb/ftp handling and haven't felt any desire to go back. Zeal handles file transfers through iTunes which can be a huge pain in the rear end for larger collections, and Glass also has a few more collection and page view options (although no zoom lock like Zeal).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Setup a family account between the two and navigate to the purchased apps of the old from the new. Is what I did for having a work and home account.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Any recommendation for educational apps for a 7-yo? I sold my freshly-replaced-with-a-refurb iPhone 5 (original plan was to use it as an iPod Touch and give it to him for his birthday) and bought a refurbed Mini 2 for him instead. We have a Starfall subscription and I got that installed, but he's quickly outgrowing it.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

wooger posted:

I don't have recommendations for the other two, but it's worth mentioning that Panic recently released Prompt 2, which is a separate app from Prompt 1. You'll have to pay for it again, but it's pretty slick.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

dizzywhip posted:

I don't have recommendations for the other two, but it's worth mentioning that Panic recently released Prompt 2, which is a separate app from Prompt 1. You'll have to pay for it again, but it's pretty slick.

gently caress Panic for that poo poo. Never see another mcchicken sandwich from me.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress Panic for that poo poo. Never see another mcchicken sandwich from me.

Hey man, putting out updates costs money. I think the culture of expecting to pay once for an app and receive free updates forever and ever is not so healthy for the developers. The thing that sucks is Apple's lack of support for paid updates, so you can't offer a discount to people who bought the previous version, and it has to be sold as a completely separate app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Well at least they're still going unlike iSSH :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No shenanigans from ServerAuditor. :v:

They do have a "premium" subscription option that stores keys and poo poo in their cloud service but that stuff is stupid and it works fine without it (doesn't even nag you to upgrade).

Their app name is pretty dumb too but it's a good ssh client.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

dizzywhip posted:

Hey man, putting out updates costs money. I think the culture of expecting to pay once for an app and receive free updates forever and ever is not so healthy for the developers. The thing that sucks is Apple's lack of support for paid updates, so you can't offer a discount to people who bought the previous version, and it has to be sold as a completely separate app.

I guess that makes sense. Still a rough time.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ANY decent music apps out there no?

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Want to give people any more information to go off? What are you looking for in a music app? What are you using and why are you unhappy with it? Google Play Music works for me :shrug:.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
When I snip a paragraph of a news article from a webpage (using safari) to paste into a message, a lot of the time the webpage will add "Read more: <article url>" to the clipboard. Is there any way to prevent that behavior? It's annoyed the poo poo out of me for years.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Imagine a music playing grocery list app with a weather widget.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine a music playing grocery list app with a weather widget.

One app to rule them all.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
First two days with an iPad, and I don't know how I could live without Pocket for so long. What a great little app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sobriquet posted:

Want to give people any more information to go off? What are you looking for in a music app? What are you using and why are you unhappy with it? Google Play Music works for me :shrug:.
ICHIBAN gets angry at his phone a lot, don't worry about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

ANY decent music apps out there no?

Picky.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Born Approx. posted:

When I snip a paragraph of a news article from a webpage (using safari) to paste into a message, a lot of the time the webpage will add "Read more: <article url>" to the clipboard. Is there any way to prevent that behavior? It's annoyed the poo poo out of me for years.
You'd have to block the JavaScript that's doing it, which should theoretically be possible with Weblock as long as the script is external and you're on wifi. Course you need to know where the script is coming from to block it, or you could cross your fingers and just turn on all the filters in Weblock. It's generally ok but some sites don't always work right with ad blockers, mostly media servers in my experience.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I guess that makes sense. Still a rough time.

If they're making a new app, they can make it free &limited in some way, with IAPs to unlock full functionality. This "Buy before you try" crap in the app store has funded countless poo poo developers for too long.

If I still think their app is slick after using it, I'll buy it. £6.99 up front is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

japtor posted:

You'd have to block the JavaScript that's doing it, which should theoretically be possible with Weblock as long as the script is external and you're on wifi. Course you need to know where the script is coming from to block it, or you could cross your fingers and just turn on all the filters in Weblock. It's generally ok but some sites don't always work right with ad blockers, mostly media servers in my experience.

What is Weblock, not a jailbreak app right?