Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Haven't played much of BoI despite owning it from Bundles... But man, that image makes the movement look real slippery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bruiser posted:

I guess I don't like dungeon shooters then. I like my games to look good. I guess that makes me a bad guy haha.

ok you can't enjoy a game that looks a certain way so nobody is going to be able to convince you otherwise.

That gif is also showing off a very early-game build which is the most boring part.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bruiser posted:

I'm sorry for not having the popular opinion here, but this just doesn't look like fun? It's a retro looking indie pixel game... and?

I dunno, having played a bunch of hours of the original, that gif is actually making me mildly tense. It's important to note that BoI is kind of crushingly difficult at times even if it's kind of slow paced. You spend a lot of time running away from enemies praying they die before they have a chance to hit you. Game's great.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bruiser posted:

I guess I don't like dungeon shooters then. I like my games to look good. I guess that makes me a bad guy haha.

No one is calling you a bad guy; you're just being ignorant and kind of dumb. It's fine not to like a game based on graphics, and you're entitled to that opinion. The point where you started to make yourself look stupid is when you post "Hey guys I just looked at one screenshot of a game I've never heard of or played, and I can tell it's just a copy of every other lovely pixel game ever, am I right guys?"

I mean look at what you posted. Maybe before hitting that post button in the future try counting to 5, re-reading your post, and making sure that's really what you want to say.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
double post

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I kinda wish they would give out Knack for free so that everyone would realize that all these indie titles aren't so bad!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bruiser posted:

I'm sorry for not having the popular opinion here, but this just doesn't look like fun? It's a retro looking indie pixel game... and?
Thanks for the huge-rear end gif. If the old version of the game is any indication, that guy has a total of one powerup and he's on the first level. Most powerups add some visual indicator so it is pretty easy for someone experienced even from just watching the game to tell the difference.

BoI starts slow and builds, you probably want to watch someone do a whole playthrough (it doesn't take all that long) to really get a notion for how nuts it can get when the powerups start stacking up and the enemies and obstacles get tougher. Sometimes you get amazing luck and the game is almost stupidly easy, other times you get a string of bad luck but manage to persevere and maybe even be rewarded with more power.

Looks are also deceiving, watch a run of Spelunky and then try to beat it yourself right after. If you have already I guess that's not much help, but play it in front of someone who hasn't and then hand it over. It's easy to see and understand what's going on but the execution isn't simple.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Malt posted:

I kinda wish they would give out Knack for free so that everyone would realize that all these indie titles aren't so bad!

I'd be happy with Knack for free!

I was happy with it for $20 off a goon, though I admit I re-sold it without finishing it. It's pretty and controls solidly, but pretty meh overall. Kind of like the PS4's answer to Kameo.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Hardly any PS+ games on the PS4 have featured pixel art.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mrEkli posted:

Haven't played much of BoI despite owning it from Bundles... But man, that image makes the movement look real slippery.

It is "slippery," and by slippery I mean you have momentum which you have to compensate. You can't stop on a dime.

CrashCat posted:

It didn't look like that before, I don't know what the reasoning is for remaking it that way other than to make it obvious whether you're playing the Flash game that is lurching under the weight of the engine's limitations versus the new one.

This remake looks far better. The original looks like a generic Flash game. It has that artificial look so common with vector graphics where everything is too crisp and shiny with jerky animations as a result of tweening.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BoI absolutely slays, please don't assume it's anywhere near as boring as most random indie games. Ed is a really cool guy and if you dig the game you should look up him and his wife. They're genuinely fun people to follow on random social networks and whatever. BoI is very much the direct personal product of a dude with goofy weirdo ideas. It's very pure if that makes sense.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps this trailer will better explain Binding of Isaac

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
Gif's great, game's great.

Sort of how one can watch first person videos of people doing dangerous driving things, but if they haven't learned to drive, they don't actually get the same tenseness and excitement that a driver would. The video watcher, I mean.

"Never played this game. Pixel gif looks bad HTH gimme knaque it's AAA"

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 29, 2014

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
For anyone using the Plex web player to stream video, have you noticed a dip in quality since the 2.0 update yesterday? Everything is kind of stuttering, like the framerate is inconsistent and it's driving me nuts.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, you have to be in a party for Share Play to work? Or, can I just find random people?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bruiser posted:

Frankly yes, it does.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Bruiser posted:

I judge all games by literally one room in the entire game, so yeah, it looks dumb. It's not though, it's an amazing game.

edit: whoops, new page, but my point is the same

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, last night I sat down to face-murder some orcs, and after about 15 minutes of violence, I noticed the rubber peeling off the left analog stick. what the poo poo :negative:

I thought I was lucky enough to avoid this problem, since it's been fine since the PS4 launch. This is my only controller and I don't feel like shelling out money for another controller if they haven't fixed this problem, yet. Pisses me off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can spend $5 to get some thumbstick covers; it's not the end of the world.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Does BoI explain itself to beginners beyond the controls? Because all the people I hear raving about it have put 100+ hours in and just know what all the items do but whenever I catch a stream or whatever of someone playing I have no clue what the heck is going on. The sheer number of different items is pretty intimidating. As a complete beginner to spelunky I could look at a jetpack or a mattock or whatever and take a pretty good guess at what that item did but in Isaac are you just expected to just sit there with a wiki open until you too have spent 100 hours memorising every item's function or what?

edit: This isn't meant to come off as criticism, I'm sure people are hyped for good reason.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
I think Binding of Isaac looks like absolute poo poo but I thought the same thing about Rogue Legacy and I played that for around 30 hours. At a price point of 'free' it's not like you've got anything to lose.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Taratang posted:

Does BoI explain itself to beginners beyond the controls? Because all the people I hear raving about it have put 100+ hours in and just know what all the items do but whenever I catch a stream or whatever of someone playing I have no clue what the heck is going on. The sheer number of different items is pretty intimidating. As a complete beginner to spelunky I could look at a jetpack or a mattock or whatever and take a pretty good guess at what that item will do but in Isaac are you just expected to just sit there with a wiki open or what?

The original game was infamous for sometimes having misleading or completely incorrect information on item pickups. Also typos. This was the result of the designer being dyslexic and the programmer being not-English. Wasn't their intention.

New game will have way better descriptions - however, it won't spell everything out completely and definitely won't say anything like "tear damage +3 per tear". It'll still be a little vague, which adds to the mystery.

I'd say just play for a while and try out every item you come across unless you've seen the item before and don't like it. If you don't like the game simply because it isn't hand-holdy, then it may not be for you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taratang posted:

Does BoI explain itself to beginners beyond the controls? Because all the people I hear raving about it have put 100+ hours in and just know what all the items do but whenever I catch a stream or whatever of someone playing I have no clue what the heck is going on. The sheer number of different items is pretty intimidating. As a complete beginner to spelunky I could look at a jetpack or a mattock or whatever and take a pretty good guess at what that item did but in Isaac are you just expected to just sit there with a wiki open until you too have spent 100 hours memorising every item's function or what?

edit: This isn't meant to come off as criticism, I'm sure people are hyped for good reason.

Nah, that's a fair assessment. I'd say a big part of the fun is finding new items and learning what they do though. You're not going to see a 'good' run for a long time, so it's best to just experiment. I've put next to no time into the game (relatively speaking), but the twinge of excitement you get when you find something completely new to try out is great.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Taratang posted:

You can run around and just be surprised, or you can crack open a wiki like I did back when people streaming BoI was a thing. There are some slightly harmful powerups, but the majority fall on the scale of ineffective to extremely helpful. A select few are both really helpful but have serious side effects that can make them difficult to use. If you just run around blundering into things you won't be at a gigantic disadvantage, that's more or less how it is designed to play. You're supposed to lose, a lot.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

CrashCat posted:

You can run around and just be surprised, or you can crack open a wiki like I did back when people streaming BoI was a thing. There are some slightly harmful powerups, but the majority fall on the scale of ineffective to extremely helpful. A select few are both really helpful but have serious side effects that can make them difficult to use. If you just run around blundering into things you won't be at a gigantic disadvantage, that's more or less how it is designed to play. You're supposed to lose, a lot.
Sounds good, I guess I'm going in blind then!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It's a free game what are you all crying about? Just try it. Most of the fun comes from the fact that almost every time you play it you get a totally different experience and your character ends up looking totally different by the end. Spelunky is great and I love it but imagine if each level of Spelunky gave you a random power-up from a HUGE list of power-ups that altered the look and feel of your character drastically. Spelunky does this a little bit but not to the crazy degree BoI does.
Edmund is a goony gently caress, though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You also don't have limited ammo or anything (except with bombs) so figuring out how a new item works is normally as simple as shooting at a wall for a couple seconds.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruiser posted:

your argument is basically lord of the rings is a terrible fantasy because it's just the same as all the 2014 fantasy stories now haha

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taratang posted:

I think the best way to play any roguelike is to go in completely blind, flop around a few times, then crack open a wiki to check on concepts you're curious about. Don't dig too deep, the surprise is half the fun, but don't be afraid to cheat a little bit if you're not feeling it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

inSTAALed posted:

I would much rather have BoI or pretty much any of the other games we have already gotten than Knack, tbh.

Seriously. The "GIVE US AAA" games bunch (not so much on SA but the internet in general) drive me nuts because I'd much rather be getting quality indies for free on release day or close to it vs. whichever AAA failed so hard they figure it's worth giving out for free.

I'm worried all of the whining is going to lead to Sony going "well we were going to give out a brand new PS4 port of this awesome and popular PC indie title, but these guys are just dying for a free copy of Killzone so gently caress it here ya go."

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 29, 2014

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
What's Metro Redux like? I like shooting things and I like atmosphere/horror, will I get £19.99 (approx $30) worth of fun out of it before AC:Unity and GTA V come out?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What's Metro Redux like? I like shooting things and I like atmosphere/horror, will I get £19.99 (approx $30) worth of fun out of it before AC:Unity and GTA V come out?

Simply put, yeah. Redux is a great game(s). You can buy both together or individually. It's dripping with atmosphere and the gameplay is smooth and solid. Very well-put together. The Redux version comes with a lot of extras on top for longevity.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Sometimes, i feel like im the only person losing their mind at how awesome PS+ is. I absolutely love all games ( Indie AAA whatever ), and so for me, getting like 4-6 games i can play a month for like 50 bucks a year is a god drat steal.

Especially when i get new versions of old favorites like Binding of Isaac. I swear if i end up losing out on something cool and end up with a second copy of knack, ill be sad.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011
binding of isaac is a trash 2d indie ""retro""(poo poo) game much like spelunky

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wow, rude.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

a real rear end nigga posted:

binding of isaac is a trash 2d indie ""retro""(poo poo) game much like spelunky
I disagree with you sir but i will fight for your right to say it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Talkc posted:

Sometimes, i feel like im the only person losing their mind at how awesome PS+ is. I absolutely love all games ( Indie AAA whatever ), and so for me, getting like 4-6 games i can play a month for like 50 bucks a year is a god drat steal.

Especially when i get new versions of old favorites like Binding of Isaac. I swear if i end up losing out on something cool and end up with a second copy of knack, ill be sad.

For me PS+ is an excuse to play games I probably would never buy or have buried under 700 Steam games. Pix the cat? Road Not Taken? What is this poo poo. Oh, wait, this is fun.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I disagree with you sir but i will fight for your right to say it.

Thank you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If you haven't played the series that is a steal. 2033 is good but clunky (although they may have fixed that?) and Last Light is loving phenomenal imo. It's probably one the best single experiences you are going to get on current gen right now. They also definitely fit the criteria you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray
I think I'm just one of those bad or stupid gamers or something, because one of the few ps+ titles I've really enjoyed was Contrast. The controls felt weird but the art and aesthetic of it was so drat cool to look at.

But I just don't ever seem to enjoy the whole top-down, twin shooter 8-bit thing. Or those games everyone calls roguelikes. It's really not a ALL DA PIXULS Y'ALL thing, I just tend to like games with some sort of new look; a real story doesn't hurt, either. Maybe I'm just sick of 2d games in general. I definitely wish there were more great 3d platformers being made.

Psychonauts 2? :smith:

• Locked thread