Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

etalian posted:

lol

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_green_why_we_should_build_wooden_skyscrapers/transcript?language=en

We need to reduce the concrete and steel and we need to grow bigger, and what we've been working on is 30-story tall buildings made of wood. We've been engineering them with an engineer named Eric Karsh who works with me on it, and we've been doing this new work because there are new wood products out there for us to use, and we call them mass timber panels.

These are panels made with young trees, small growth trees, small pieces of wood glued together to make panels that are enormous: eight feet wide, 64 feet long, and of various thicknesses.

Oh my god this guy is tremendously full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If there is something apartment towers need to be more of, it's definitely more disposable construction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

If there is something apartment towers need to be more of, it's definitely more disposable construction.

Yeah I don't understand how it's a positive marketing point to describe lumber as a sustainable material. It must mean that it's environmentally friendly to dispose of your condo tower after you demolish it due to poor construction. Concrete and rebar are so toxic!!!!!!!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
If we are going to aim to density more, modeling everything on the Japanese works seeing they don't design their contemporary buildings to last more than a few decades.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OSI bean dip posted:

If we are going to aim to density more, modeling everything on the Japanese works seeing they don't design their contemporary buildings to last more than a few decades.

That is more single family homestead apartment/condo buildings, and they certainly don't build 4+ story wood framed multi-unit buildings.

North America would need a sea change in how developments get approved too. I had to laugh at my wife when she saw the community center zoning signs go up near our old place, because she actually thought the building would be ready for our yet unborn child. In Japan excavation would have started the next day. As it was I was surprised it only took them 6-7 years, which I attribute to a lack of any opposition to it.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

ocrumsprug posted:

Is there a particular reason that governments do not adjust mortgage rules to maintain housing affordability stability, when they lower (and raise) rates like this?

- Is it because they need to keep up appearance of being arms length from their central bank?
- Do they just forget or not realize the effect?
- Is this actually the goal? If so, why don't they want consumers spending their debt on cars and durable goods?
- Is it effective lobbying?
- Is the housing boom/bust considered a desirable outcome of it?
- Is it some combination?

Normally not attributing to malice what can explained by incompetence would apply, but it seems like stretch for so many governments to be making the exact same mistake.

From what I can tell it's mostly for economic reasons. In a fragile economy, like Canada's post-2008, housing is a major economic driver and curtailing it would probably affect growth enough to cause significant political damage.

Real estate and construction accounted for more than 25% of BC's GDP in 2012, for example. Doesn't take much of a pullback before the province would be in recession.

The end goal is really (though probably not in politicians' mind) to kick the can down the road and let another government deal with the mess.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

etalian posted:

lol

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_green_why_we_should_build_wooden_skyscrapers/transcript?language=en

We need to reduce the concrete and steel and we need to grow bigger, and what we've been working on is 30-story tall buildings made of wood. We've been engineering them with an engineer named Eric Karsh who works with me on it, and we've been doing this new work because there are new wood products out there for us to use, and we call them mass timber panels.

These are panels made with young trees, small growth trees, small pieces of wood glued together to make panels that are enormous: eight feet wide, 64 feet long, and of various thicknesses.

So, particle board?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a billion times more environmentally friendly to build a building out of concrete or steel that lasts centuries if cared for vs a wood building that will last 30-40 years, a bit more if very very well cared for. Wooden houses last a long time because they are very well cared for and a house has way less load on it. Don't forget about settling. In my 3 story 1940's wood frame apartment that was built super well for its day, none of the floors are level, rooms aren't square. In 6 story wood frame the settling issues become worse and worse. It's like stacking jenga blocks. 2 blocks on top of each other if there's a few degrees off it's not a huge deal, but every block above that gets more and more tippy. The builders I know have told us the settling in 6 story wood frame is ridiculous, even after not even a year some of the first ones they built are having unacceptable settling.

Wood is an awesome material but it's not going to solve the housing problem. I mean it's mostly cheap debt but supply can be a problem too, mostly our hatred of density. But we can get more than enough density in our cities with 3-4 story wood frame town houses and apartments, we don't need wood frame condo towers. And the engineering is insane. For every dollar you save in materials you spend a dollar on engineering costs. And all the specialty hardware for wood frame is very expensive too, and labour intensive. Like I said, the builders I talked to said they saved 0 dollars by doing wood frame vs concrete after everything was said and done, and in the end they have a massively inferior building in terms of longevity, sound, and fire safety. 6 story wood frame is entirely political, it sounds good like the government is "doing something" for affordability and BC TIMBER JOBS. Plus only a few companies make these ridiculously engineered wood beams (if they can even be called wood after all the processes it goes through) and those companies happen to be big BC liberal donors.

And stairwells, elevator shafts, and retail ground floors will always have to be concrete anyways

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buskas posted:

From what I can tell it's mostly for economic reasons. In a fragile economy, like Canada's post-2008, housing is a major economic driver and curtailing it would probably affect growth enough to cause significant political damage.

Real estate and construction accounted for more than 25% of BC's GDP in 2012, for example. Doesn't take much of a pullback before the province would be in recession.

The end goal is really (though probably not in politicians' mind) to kick the can down the road and let another government deal with the mess.

Yeah basically it's tough to painlessly end a bubble once it gains steam due to dutch disease.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MickeyFinn posted:

So, particle board?

Its Cross-Laminated Timber. Basically glorified plywood, but instead of using thin 1/8" sheets of wood they use dimensional lumber and glue them together. Here's a picture:

You glue them together off-site then swing it into place with a crane making a house Ikea-style. To be fair it is incredibly strong stuff, exceeding structural steel on a per-weight basis. But it is still wood and suffers from all the natural degradation that comes along with that. Imagine if your skyscraper got termites.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Imagine if water started leaking through your building envelope, into the wooden structure.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Shifty Pony posted:

Its Cross-Laminated Timber. Basically glorified plywood, but instead of using thin 1/8" sheets of wood they use dimensional lumber and glue them together. Here's a picture:

You glue them together off-site then swing it into place with a crane making a house Ikea-style. To be fair it is incredibly strong stuff, exceeding structural steel on a per-weight basis. But it is still wood and suffers from all the natural degradation that comes along with that. Imagine if your skyscraper got termites.

Termites are easier to deal with than fire though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That ted talk was hilarious, let's disrupt urban life by building wood skyscrapers.

Just overlook how natural stone and concrete buildings have a much longer lifespan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

That ted talk was hilarious, let's disrupt urban life by building wood skyscrapers.

Just overlook how natural stone and concrete buildings have a much longer lifespan.

Yeah but like concrete isn't "natural" mannn.
There's a Victoria councilor who's big on this. Hates any builder taller than 3-4 stories because concrete and steel "lasts too long" and elevators "use energy". Literally she's against concrete and steel because the buildings last too long and wood is renewable and bio-degradable but when you demolish a steel and concrete building it can't bio-degrade. Also density isn't green because downtowns don't have green space but the suburbs totally have trees and grass thus are more "green".

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLhg8YxlzlU

The one thing I can say about wooden structures is that when designed correctly, they can withstand some intense earthquakes without much damage. When I worked in an old, retrofitted concrete building in downtown Vancouver, I did experience a quake while on its top-floor (seven stories) and found myself not interested in staying inside in the event of a larger quake occurring.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

You should look up some of Richard Floridas bullshit, you'd love it. I had to suffer through him blowing hot air for over an hour last week and it was just brutal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rime posted:

You should look up some of Richard Floridas bullshit, you'd love it. I had to suffer through him blowing hot air for over an hour last week and it was just brutal.

I stop reading any urban planning/issues article once they start quoting florida. He's such a piece of poo poo hack. He's the doctor Oz of urban theory and actual urban planners and economists despise him.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh so he's the guy who came up with the Gay Index.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
His solution to the rapid increase in automation across every industry which will decimate most jobs over the next decade was literally "Cram everyone into super-dense cities where they can create new revenue streams as artists and stuff!" Almost verbatim. He spent a good twenty minutes talking about how the lack of high-paying factory jobs in North America was fantastic for our society, because we could all be artists and musicians now instead of working at a factory to afford that comfortable lifestyle he and his parents had. :psyduck:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sounds like Keynes Gone Wild.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?
Oh yes, the owners of Robotcorp will surely fund a renaissance of art and culture instead of enslaving the helpless masses whose jobs have been made obsolete.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

OSI bean dip posted:

Termites are easier to deal with than fire though.

Oddly enough wood is actually better than exposed steel for keeping strength in a fire. Steel gets all bendy when hot while wood doesn't. But that's a useless comparison because we wrap the steel of modern construction in nice thick layers of concrete or other insulation. Works great as long as the insulation stays intact but if it doesn't and fire gets right up to the steel then things go poorly (see: World Trade Center).

Random derail though. Wood skyscrapers are dumb and Ted talks are dumb (but not as dumb as TedX).

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
As a relatively newcomer to urban living, can anyone explain to me the big critique on density? Some of the neighbourhoods around Van are really against building up, while I've always been a big advocate for it because of the access it brings to such large numbers of people, and the environmental reasons.

So far the only critique I have is: "tall buildings would LOOK WEIRD ON COMMERCIAL DRIVE!" or something to that effect. Is there actual legitimate critiques outside of that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

swagger like us posted:

As a relatively newcomer to urban living, can anyone explain to me the big critique on density? Some of the neighbourhoods around Van are really against building up, while I've always been a big advocate for it because of the access it brings to such large numbers of people, and the environmental reasons.

So far the only critique I have is: "tall buildings would LOOK WEIRD ON COMMERCIAL DRIVE!" or something to that effect. Is there actual legitimate critiques outside of that?

There are issues related to everything that has to support people being scaled up appropriately (i.e., "Is there public transportation or do these people have cars; if the latter do we need to build parking lots/garages?", etc) but most of the arguments tend to center around the concept of exclusivity.

In other words, some people are thinking "I'm in a really good place, but it'll be ruined if too many [outsiders] join in, so I want to keep them away". It's the same line of thinking that led to segregated housing in the US, but it's not (inherently) racial in nature.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

swagger like us posted:

http://metronews.ca/voices/urban-compass-2/1030283/save-the-arbutus-corridor-not-for-the-creme-de-la-creme-twits-but-for-the-rest-of-us/

quote:

“We are the people who live in your neighbourhood. We are dentists, doctors, lawyers, professionals, CEOs of companies. We are the crème de la crème in Vancouver. We live in a very expensive neighbourhood and we’re well educated and well informed. And that’s what we intend to be.”

That comment was made in the early 2000s and no one should forget it. This what NPA voters literally think.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/2014/10/30/canadas-housing-market-defies-doomsayers/

quote:

Like the Energizer bunny, Canada’s housing market keeps on going, defying long-standing predictions of a slowdown.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., the country’s national housing agency, has again raised forecasts for starts and prices.

And Canada’s central bank is fretting anew about financial stability risks from elevated household debt and lofty home prices.

It’s one of the side-effects of keeping interest rates low, as Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz acknowledged in front of a parliamentary committee late Wednesday.

Canada’s housing market didn’t experience a U.S.-style bust, thanks in part to more conservative lending practices. The government has tightened mortgage insurance rules four times between 2008 and 2012 to cool the market and rein in household debt that Canadians have built up by using cheap borrowing costs to buy homes.

The last round of tightening appeared to be having an impact, as debt levels dropped from record levels and housing slowed. But they have picked up again in recent months.

The International Monetary Fund lists Canada among the countries where home prices are over-valued.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development said almost 40% of the Canadian population now lives in a city where house prices are “seriously or severely unaffordable.”

Some observers are worried there is a housing bubble waiting to burst. But such “doom and gloom” scenarios are probably overblown, according to Douglas Porter, chief economist at BMO Capital Markets.

To be sure, there are serious risks, he says. If the Bank of Canada surprises with big rate hikes or the global economy stumbles badly, it could hit the housing market hard. But he, like the central bank, sees a soft landing.

Under most scenarios, “I would assume the Canadian housing market would keep plowing ahead,” Mr. Porter said.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
“The Canadian housing market will keep plowing ahead, unless any of these other scenarios happen then we are all hosed” Mr. Porter said.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 7, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

swagger like us posted:

The city is still replacing unseperated (storm and sewer), rotten ceramic, and in a rare case wooden, sewer lines around the city. The stuff down in Marpole around the Oakridge development for example is largely from the 1940's.

I'm in favor of intense densification around transit hubs such as the redevelopment plan for the Brentwood site though. They've really got a futuristic mixed-use design going in there, and I hope it brings life to the region instead of being another lougheed-esque tower complex where it's scary to walk at night.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://metronews.ca/voices/urban-compass-2/1030283/save-the-arbutus-corridor-not-for-the-creme-de-la-creme-twits-but-for-the-rest-of-us/

That comment was made in the early 2000s and no one should forget it. This what NPA voters literally think.

I still don't understand what this has to do with densification. What I am talking about is the concept of building more apartments and housing in tall structures, centrally located to decent public transportation. This would cut back on vehicle use, and make logistics of living (like food, goods and services etc.) more effecient by being centralized. You know, building up rather than out, and eliminating further suburbanization.

Honestly, I get that theres a lot of NIMBYs in Vancouver but Im just not connecting the link here between NIMBYs and densified neighbourhoods because its never really been articulated to me.

quote:

Honestly, there is a lot of research out there about what seems to be more commonly called "urban stress" leading to all kinds of negative health side effects. Phone posting, though, so no good links handy.

Like what does this mean? How does it relate to densified housing? I just don't understand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

lol

Florida's theory asserts that metropolitan regions with high concentrations of technology workers, artists, musicians, lesbians and gay men, and a group he describes as "high bohemians", exhibit a higher level of economic development. Florida refers to these groups collectively as the "creative class.

he has devised his own ranking systems that rate cities by a "Bohemian index," a "Gay index," a "diversity index" and similar criteria.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

swagger like us posted:

Like what does this mean? How does it relate to densified housing? I just don't understand.
I believe he's talking about the stress on local infrastructure that certain high-density developments, like high-rises, could have on an area that cannot sustain their presence.

If you look at zoning by-laws each specific area, every neighbourhood has a "saturation point" (or similarly-named concept) for specific types of development. Any well-run city whose politicians haven't been bought off by land developers has strict rules about the maximum allowable population densities for each area. The reason? Because you can only have so many people live in a specific neighbourhood before it causes massive traffic jams, overload on local schools/daycares, cost-inefficient waste disposal, excessive demand on public transportation routes, and even pressure on local watermains.

Urban sprawl is bad. But cramming hundreds of people into tiny areas whose infrastructure may, or may not, be able to support them is also bad.

As for the NIMBYs in Vancouver- residents in most areas usually don't want high-density developments for a lot of reasons. For example, they usually cite concerns about local traffic getting worse. Or some people don't want their view to be obstructed by high-rises. Others will take it a step further and lose their poo poo if the new towers block out sunlight.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 30, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

swagger like us posted:

Well there are infrastructure concerns that surround increasing density all of a sudden - increased usage of sewage pipes, traffic, emergency response stuff, water, the whole shebang. And I bet there isn't as much thought given to increasing those along with housing as there should be.

But really, density isn't the big issue in Vancouver, we're a tiny city in terms of population, and while we should definitely be looking to build denser from here on out that's in the long-term, not the short-term - and is mostly to deal with gradually increasing energy prices and such.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 16, 2019

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
get people desperate enough and they will inherently turn to social and communal solutions

or start eating each-other I guess

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Eat the rich landlords

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

melon cat posted:

I believe he's talking about the stress on local infrastructure that certain high-density developments, like high-rises, could have on an area that cannot sustain their presence.

It's not just this - there's a growing body of research showing highly urbanized environments are bad for humans. Seemingly innocuous things like minor but constant light and noise pollution can have negative physical and mental health effects, and lots of urban "communities" lack any sense of community at all. As we busy ourselves with career and competition we forget how important it is to have a meaningful support network, and, sometimes, to just slow the gently caress down. Big cities encourage constant activity, which people were not designed for.

Gabor Mate has some good writing on these subjects.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Buskas posted:

It's not just this - there's a growing body of research showing highly urbanized environments are bad for humans. Seemingly innocuous things like minor but constant light and noise pollution can have negative physical and mental health effects, and lots of urban "communities" lack any sense of community at all. As we busy ourselves with career and competition we forget how important it is to have a meaningful support network, and, sometimes, to just slow the gently caress down. Big cities encourage constant activity, which people were not designed for.

Gabor Mate has some good writing on these subjects.

What's the alternative? Even worse soulless suburbia? Earthships for how ever million people the earth can fit at that lifestyle?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
More stupidity from Australia:

Can't afford a deposit, the local council will provide it for you.

quote:

Illawarra families struggling to save the cash for a home deposit will soon be able to apply for up to $83,000 through a new Wollongong council scheme.

The West Dapto Home Deposit Assistance Program is the first of its kind and is designed to allow low-to-middle-income singles, couples or families to buy a new house or land package in the suburb’s new release area.

The grants will be administered through a partnership between IMB and the council and will be available for loans worth up to $415,000. Funds will be provided to eligible applicants as a 20per cent deposit on an IMB loan and will remain in the council’s name while acting as security against the loan.

Launching the program on Friday, Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery said he expected a lot of interest in the scheme, which he said would free low-income working families from the burden of saving a huge home deposit.

‘‘This will hopefully allow people on relatively small incomes to find their way into the housing game, which many in our country are struggling to get into,’’ he said. ‘‘We hope to be able to assist at least 123 households over the next three years.’’

Twenty-seven grants will be made available this financial year, with the remaining 96 distributed over the following two years.

Once home owners’ equity in their home increases so the security deposit is no longer needed, the grant money will be released by IMB and recycled to allow other people to participate in the program, which will run until 2026.

Funded by the former Labor government’s Building Better Regional Cities program, the $9.2million scheme was originally due to start in 2013.

Cr Bradbery said there had been some complex and lengthy legal issues to sort out as the program was the only one of its kind.

‘‘This is an original program that hasn’t been done before, so we had to make sure the council was protected and also the IMB, as well as the person who makes use of the program. It was quite complex but finally, we’re over the line.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2649475/who-will-qualify-for-83000-home-deposit-scheme/ (don't read the comments)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Someone I know on Facebook posted that she has a house-viewing, but it's an hour away from work and she has no money (presumably for the gas it would take to get there and back), ending the post with "House hungry much?".

It doesn't seem like a good idea.