Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm pretty sure even most psychiatric patients would agree that they deserve to get punched if they are stupid enough to try and jump Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

John Murdoch posted:

Supposedly the development cycle on Machine for Pigs was a mess and Frictional jerked Chinese Room around. :shrug:

Where did you hear this? I know the game was delayed 6+ months to add more content and make it more of a game which is amazing because the end result was still really short and kinda bad. As far as I heard primary development was done by The Chinese Room which is something that wasn't really expounded upon until well after hype had built up for the title.

I'm kinda bitter about how A Machine For Pigs ended up. :saddowns:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Psychiatrist: It says here you live in Gotham City by choice? Well you're clearly mad.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kin posted:

Yeah, Adventure mode = farming mode right? That was mentioned.

I guess i was just expecting a little persistence during the story mode or whatever. I.e. random the first time you enter, then permanently locked each time you return (with that character). Kinda like Torchlight.

edit: apparently i'm also the only person who plays PC games who never played D1 or D2 :/

Diablo isnt the game you want for story or exploration. You never really backtrack to old areas in the story mode so randomization shouldnt be a problem there and in adventure mode the changing maps are nice because otherwise youd get bored a lot faster.

Its pretty different than torchlight where the outdoor areas acted as a hub for the other areas so you would go back to them often. In D3 outdoor areas are much smaller and youre usually passing through, once you find the exit you wont need to ever go back.

Kly fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 30, 2014

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This is the post mortem for Machine for Pigs. I've never played it and I was too much of a wuss to finish Amnesia. I read the article a while back but I remember it seeming more like Frictional didn't have the experience/confidence to take the project a bit more in hand when Chinese Room had dev problems.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

GreenNight posted:

What's up with Amazon selling a $20 Steam gift card for $30? I got points I want to use :mad:

Amazon doesn't sell Steam gift cards itself, you're seeing something sold by a third party seller on their website, who can put up whatever they want for whatever they want, even if it's Amazon fulfilling the order - it'd say "Sold By: Amazon.com" if amazon was selling it. But otherwise most digital games on Amazon have "DRM: Steam" at the top, so you can just redeem the key.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm pretty sure even most psychiatric patients would agree that they deserve to get punched if they are stupid enough to try and jump Batman.

Some of the more interesting Batman stories have been precisely railing against this kind of thing, i.e. that Batman has no legitimate claim to do what he does, and it's kind of an insane thing to be doing anyway. The Killing Joke was sort of about this, and there was a short story included with Batman: Black and White where a regular petty criminal goes full-blown after he was diagnosed with a serious brain injury after being hit in the head with a batarang :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would never have guessed that dressing up as a bat and skulking on rooftops might be an indication of some form of mental instability.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Cardboard Box A posted:

corn is doing god's work here ok

I accept that I'm in the minority with my opinion

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australian (new?) e-retailer didgio is selling a small selection of Steam games for A$3.00 each, including Skyrim.
It asks for an Aussie address at checkout so non Aussies could google one I guess, but no idea if it'll work for you.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Helith posted:

Australian (new?) e-retailer didgio is selling a small selection of Steam games for A$3.00 each, including Skyrim.
It asks for an Aussie address at checkout so non Aussies could google one I guess, but no idea if it'll work for you.
I thought the logo felt familiar. It's the Catch Of The Day/Scoopon people.
Apparently they opened up earlier this month and were giving away free keys to other games. http://games.on.net/2014/10/didgio-great-game-giveaway-get-yourself-a-free-game-right-here/

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I've been trying to work this one out but I'm just going to go ahead and ask because I give up.

Borderlands 2 is installed in Linux and seems to function. It said it detected a Borderlands save game when I first ran it. What gives?

Options:
* They hardwired it or dumped a shill save to do some unlocks for 2 out of laziness.

* I had it at some point and it disappeared without a trace (Can't really say but I feel it's possible)

* There was a free weekend and I felt like doing a huge download.

* Aliens.

It's kind of bugging me. Suggestions?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands 2 has steam cloud sync so if you've played it on another platform (PC, Mac) it'll carry your save over to other operating systems. This doesn't work for most games but I believe the Borderlands series is a special case (1, 2, and Pre-Sequel all do it). If you're talking about the Borderlands 1 legacy reward I don't know how that would give it to you but that's one possible explanation maybe?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the right think to do is subdue them non-violently and then allow them to attend therapy.

That's what Doctor Tokaj would do!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Borderlands 2 has steam cloud sync so if you've played it on another platform (PC, Mac) it'll carry your save over to other operating systems. This doesn't work for most games but I believe the Borderlands series is a special case (1, 2, and Pre-Sequel all do it). If you're talking about the Borderlands 1 legacy reward I don't know how that would give it to you but that's one possible explanation maybe?

I considered that, but this PC, or a previous iteration of it would be the only place it could have been. Other than that I played Borderlands through on the 360 but I can't see any way that could affect the PC version. It's pissing me off that I can't remember.

I ust went through a few years of emails and can't find any record either. I officially have no idea.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Croccers posted:

I thought the logo felt familiar. It's the Catch Of The Day/Scoopon people.
Apparently they opened up earlier this month and were giving away free keys to other games. http://games.on.net/2014/10/didgio-great-game-giveaway-get-yourself-a-free-game-right-here/

World of Goo is $3, if you're one of the few people on Earth that don't own it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Thoughtless posted:

So regarding the new Humble Bundle, is the Amnesia sequel any good? I loved the original and was going to get this until I saw it had the Dear Esther developers working on it.
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is to Amnesia: The Dark Descent as Penumbra: Requiem was to Penumbra: Black Plague

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/penumbra-requiem

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

corn in the bible posted:

That's what Doctor Tokaj would do!

I think I love you.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I was pretty skeptical about TotalBiscuit interviewing the editor of Kotaku, but this is a great discussion on gaming journalism, scoring, ethics, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmIrWqEUUU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh... it actually is about ethics in games journalism!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tezzeract posted:

I was pretty skeptical about TotalBiscuit interviewing the editor of Kotaku, but this is a great discussion on gaming journalism, scoring, ethics, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmIrWqEUUU

SynthOrange posted:

Oh... it actually is about ethics in games journalism!
It totally is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30jXK7ACqY&t=5200s

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I love the idea that entertainment bloggers are in any way actual journalists.

Games Journalism fall into the similar category of Chiropractic.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I love the idea that entertainment bloggers are in any way actual journalists.

Games Journalism fall into the similar category of Chiropractic.

Chiropractors might actually do something useful sometimes, I'd think of game journalists more as colonic technicians.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zombie Samurai posted:

I think I love you.

I feel like you're one of a dozen people on the entire planet who would willingly acknowledge an Afterfall: Insanity reference.

Be proud. :poland:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

duckfarts posted:

Chiropractors might actually do something useful sometimes, I'd think of game journalists more as colonic technicians.
If there are good Chiropractors, all videogame 'journalists' are to the kind linked below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpbc45PqVpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdEiSuYNA4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQfT9C5Adc

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBQfjGRaiQ

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
lmao if you nerds think I'm watching anything linked anywhere on a page that has "totalbiscuit" and "ethics" written on it.

Did anyone else get an Evolve beta key? I threw the code straight into steam without realizing it didn't mention that you redeemed it through steam anywhere in the email. I don't think it said to put it in steam in the FAQ either. Super excited to try it this weekend though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Those are amateurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yei60VgHGc0

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Holy loving poo poo how is that baby still alive? :catstare:

And of course it's Russian.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So on the subject of video games: I have to say I might have crafted myself one hell of an introduction to Wolfenstein: The New Order. When the hype was big and it first came out, I gave it a try by renting it on from Redbox for my PS3. Needless to say, due to the console's limitations, it looked and played no better than Killzone 2--which isn't bad, but performed like a 5 year old shooter.

I had only gotten as far as opening the gate of Deathshead before I decided I'd give it a try on the PC whenever it became cheaper.

Considering that, the transition from chapter 1 into chapter 2 was pretty :aaa: + :psyduck: for me, because I thought the rest of the game would be like the first chapter.

So yeah, I'm super interested in how this game will play out, and if it weren't so late, I'd still be playing. :sweatdrop:

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 30, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gotta gotta get my baby back ribs

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Morter posted:

So on the subject of video games: I have to say I might have crafted myself one hell of an introduction to Wolfenstein: The New Order. When the hype was big and it first came out, I gave it a try by renting it on from Redbox for my PS3. Needless to say, due to the console's limitations, it looked and played no better than Killzone 2--which isn't bad, but performed like a 5 year old shooter.

I had only gotten as far as opening the gate of Deathshead before I decided I'd give it a try on the PC whenever it became cheaper.

Needless to say, the transition from chapter 1 into chapter 2 was pretty :aaa: + :psyduck: for me, because I thought the rest of the game would be like the first chapter.

So yeah, I'm super interested in how this game will play out, and if it weren't so late, I'd still be playing. :sweatdrop:

I told you it was good. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How do I make this video not autoplay, I don't want to listen to annoying nerds talk about poo poo I don't care about whenever I come to this thread.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It doesn't autoplay for me?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It turns out the Youtube enhancer addon I have for Chrome updated today to add video autoplay and it's on by default. This is why people should make better changelogs for these things, drat it. Thankfully it is off now and I can go on never listening to Totalbiscuit open his dumb mouth.

edit: vvv this is also a good alternative.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

How do I make this video not autoplay, I don't want to listen to annoying nerds talk about poo poo I don't care about whenever I come to this thread.

GO to your forums user control panel -> edit options ctrl-F for 'video' and select the option that makes them show up as links, and not embedded videos.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

31. Organ Trail: Director's Cut

Hahaha, get it? It's like Oregon Trail, but...

No, it really is Oregon Trail with zombies. But instead of being a one-note joke, Organ Trail actually improves on the original formula in significant ways. If you somehow never encountered an Apple IIe in school, the basic idea of ______ Trail games is that you have a party of 4 or so travelers on their way to a distant destination. Random things happen on the way, sometimes you get a choice to make, other times not. Settlements give you the chance to shop, barter, or scavenge for supplies. Organ Trail sets this up as you and your 4 pals escaping D.C. in a beat-up station wagon, carrying as much food, ammo, car parts, and fuel as you can. In addition to the random horrible things that happen, you'll also encounter minigames like dodging zombie deer and motorcycle gangs on the highway, or making a clutch shot to save a friend from a kidnapper. These interactive events really help break up the monotony of watching your beater roll down the highway while bad things happen to you all.

Settlements are where the game really shines, because there are a wealth of options for managing your journey. In terms of supplies alone, you can buy and sell for cash, wait for trade offers on your goods, scavenge by playing a little top-down action minigame, and do side missions (also minigames) to get paid in goods. There are additional options for managing the health of your team, for maintaining and upgrading your ride, and even learning new special skills for your player character that help in minigames. Learning how much you need of what resources and what upgrades you should spring for can take time, so be prepared to either lose a few times or start on Easy. The first time I picked this game up I got rather frustrated because my car broke down and I got trapped in a settlement with no way to repair it. But after a few more rounds I learned the power of scavenging and practiced my minigaming and now everything runs smooth... on Normal, anyway.

It's a pretty deep game for a literal Oregon Trail clone, and the zombie aspect fits the style well without being tired. There are some cute pop culture references that are clever enough not to annoy, and plenty of replay value. As long as the ultra low-res graphics and learning curve don't put you off, this is a grand little coffee break game.

32. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

I'm well-accustomed to goon hyperbole at this point, so despite the warnings I went into A Machine for Pigs with bright eyes and an open mind. And it only took about 10 minutes to crush that optimism.

The supposed sequel to The Dark Descent casts you as a Victorian-era inventor and industrialist, wandering his home in search of his rather ghostly little boys. The chase leads him into the sprawling factory complex he designed for automating the butchering of pigs. Now, Victorian horror is a rich vein to mine, and the setting of a mechanized slaughterhouse really can't be beat. So I hope you can understand the crushing disappointment that comes with seeing this setup wasted. I played for an hour and a half and nothing happened. Nothing. I wandered my mansion, I turned on some machines, I wandered a factory, I changed some fuses, I wandered outside, I tried to change a truck's battery, I quit. At no point did I encounter an enemy or anything even remotely threatening.

What I did encounter was a lot of poorly-paced jumpscares in the form of loud noises out of the blue and glimpses of scurrying NPCs. Understand that the original Amnesia did the same thing, but with a much better sense of moderation and coupled with an exceptionally strong sound design. A Machine for Pigs completely fails to build the same atmosphere, trading the mysterious whisperings and footsteps of the castle for the playful requests of ghost children (who basically exist to point you to your next objective) and awkward monologues recounting past events. Gone is the sanity system or the balancing of light and dark, along with the entire inventory system as well. You have an infinite lantern at your disposal, which you will need because the lighting in this game is a bit wonky, what with wall lamps and candles failing to cast any significant illumination. Hilariously, the game still uses the obnoxious visual sanity effects without the system... it just hits you with them at scripted points.

There might be an interesting story here, but the monologues and notes are disjointed and mostly unrelated. The attempt to write in Victorian styles also does more harm than good, making some notes near incomprehensible. In the end, there's none of the magic of Amnesia here at all. The atmosphere is botched, there's almost nothing to interact with and no reason to search the environment, and the story is poorly conveyed. I was certain there was no way A Machine for Pigs could be such a step down, but my goodness was I wrong.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I just got to try out the Geforce 970 in my newly built PC (~$900 out the door) and hot drat. I was skeptical for paying more than $200 for a video card but it's worth every penny. There's a new feature called Dynamic Super Resolution with the latest Nvidia 344.24 drivers that allows you to run games at like 3840x2160 and it downsamples them. This card runs it like silky smooth butter at max everything.

It makes games that have lackuster AA look incredible. I just tried it on Call of Juarez Gunslinger which had pretty poor AA on things like grass and such and it looks amazing. Bioshock 2 and Hard Reset also looks incredible for being almost 10 years old. I'll post up some screenshots later but screenshots don't do these justice either since it's very noticeable difference when things are in motion. You can also change the scaling for how smooth it makes things and I need to toy around with that some more. Definitely makes me want to replay a bunch of semi-older games now.

Now is a pretty good time to get a new PC if you're ever on that "but-but new stuff is coming soon! i should just wait" line of thought and have $1k to spend. This is the more common non OC build right now

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
kentucky route zero has a new thing

act 4 teaser?

• Locked thread