Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Junior G-man posted:

I think everyone should get out at Schumann just once to witness the horror of those buildings. It makes my heart all fuzzy :3:

For one, the Magritte museum is amazing, as is the Horta House, the sunday market at Midi, the Wednesday market at Chatelain, hanging out Thursday evening on Place Lux with the Euro-crowd, the Grand Place is loving amazing (and you don't find that in Antwerp or Ghent), going out in the area around Place. St. Catherine, the Bois de Cambre/Foret de Soigne to the South is beautiful as gently caress, lots of amazing little places to eat, the African Matonge neighbourhood, the Art Nouveau/Fin-de-Siecle parts of Ixelles between Chatelain and Bois de Cambres, the Beaux Arts museum, the amazing musical instrument museum (must have lunch of their rooftop terrace in summer), the spectacular waste of time and money that is the Atomium, registering (just for the fun of it) to an EU-related conference and seeing what the gently caress they're up to (boring, but as far as I'm concerned an important civics lesson for Europeans), late night drinking at Cafe Delirium, coffee in the sun at Cafe Belga on Flagey, the best guts and entrails dinner at Viva m'Boma, the fake beach and delicious cocktails of Brussels les Bains in summer, serious beer drinking at Moeder Lambic (both locations).

I may have missed a few things.

Neither the Magritte museum nor Horta house were in my experience (and my GF's) amazing at all. Horta House is a ... very nice house with a distinct style, and that's it. Nothing to write home about. The Magritte museum was actually a disappointment for me. Sure, it has some nice pieces but less than we expected and it's too big and too detailed, with not enough material translated to English.

I can't speak about the rest of your list but the fact that you put the Magritte museum and the Horta House at the top is a red flag. But you do sound like you love your city and that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I loved the Magritte museum, but he's also like my favorite painter so there's that. Otherwise I didn't find Brussels to be particularly interesting, but it's certainly nice enough and has neat things to do and see, on par with Cologne or Lyon or Zurich. It's just weird to me how people will put Brussels in the same line of cities as Berlin, Paris, or London.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Has anyone ever been to Gilbratar? I'll be in northern Morocco in January and I'm thinking about stealing over to Europe for a bit. Is gilbratar worth arranging a stay of a night or two or is it more of a day trip?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Istari posted:

I have another question about French trains.
I booked my ticket on the SNCF website, and have an e-ticket, which I've printed out. Do I have to get the e-ticket validated at the station, or can I just walk on the train with this piece of paper ?

Don't have to validate it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

While we're on the topic of forgettable Belgium cities, if you have some free time may I suggest "In Bruges" on Netflix or elsewhere

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Saladman posted:

I loved the Magritte museum, but he's also like my favorite painter so there's that. Otherwise I didn't find Brussels to be particularly interesting, but it's certainly nice enough and has neat things to do and see, on par with Cologne or Lyon or Zurich. It's just weird to me how people will put Brussels in the same line of cities as Berlin, Paris, or London.

Nah, of course Brussels is not in the same line as great global cities like that. But, I mean, that's a very short list altogether.

However, I do feel that it's a lot nicer than Antwerp for example (although Ghent is awesome). But people have a tendency to slag off Brussels, and I don't really understand why.

I mean, it needs a bit more discovery than Berlin, London, Paris or Amsterdam to find its charms, but it does have a really awesome unique character. I think it's well worth 1.5-2 days to spend if you have some time to kick around Europe. Plus, flights are weirdly loving cheap.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 30, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

ShutteredIn posted:

Don't have to validate it.

Thanks.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Lemma posted:

Has anyone ever been to Gilbratar? I'll be in northern Morocco in January and I'm thinking about stealing over to Europe for a bit. Is gilbratar worth arranging a stay of a night or two or is it more of a day trip?

I spent a few days in Gibraltar after a visit to Morocco. It's definitely worth a visit, especially compared to neighboring dumps like Algeciras and La Linea. Views across the Strait from the top of the rock to Jebel Moussa are spectacular, and there are monkeys all over the place too. The town is pleasant enough, a very odd fusion of English and Mediterranean.

Entering the territory, you have to cross the airport runway. During the Franco years, Spain closed the border (Madrid has been trying to take back Gibraltar for centuries), leaving only air or sea connections to the outside. The airport is on reclaimed land adjacent to the border with La Linea.

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Brussels is a horrible place to visit. But a great place to live.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Nah, of course Brussels is not in the same line as great global cities like that. But, I mean, that's a very short list altogether.

However, I do feel that it's a lot nicer than Antwerp for example (although Ghent is awesome). But people have a tendency to slag off Brussels, and I don't really understand why.

I mean, it needs a bit more discovery than Berlin, London, Paris or Amsterdam to find its charms, but it does have a really awesome unique character. I think it's well worth 1.5-2 days to spend if you have some time to kick around Europe. Plus, flights are weirdly loving cheap.

Brussels is a great place. I spent four months there for a work project, and really enjoyed it. It has some of the best restaurants in Europe, an outstanding bar scene, and arguably Western Europe's prettiest town square at Grand'Place. You stumble across really weird, quirky stuff in Brussels. The city's mascot is a statue of a pissing boy (Mannekin Pis), and there's a matching statue of a pissing girl (Jeaneke Pis). I wandered unaware into basement bars that are kinked-out fetish dungeons. There's a bustling Congolese neighborhood around Porte de Namur, where the live music isn't to be missed. Les Marolles is a really cool old-school Brussels neighborhood, with its own dialect. I went to the abovementioned Magritte Museum several times for long lunch breaks - Magritte's work was often hilarious.

And the best beer in the world. It's only about 80 minutes from Paris, two hours from London, and two to three hours to Amsterdam, depending on the train. Nearby Antwerp (38 minutes on the train) has even better nightlife, with a huge gay scene. Bruges and Gent (I prefer Gent - Bruges is too popular for its own good) are a short train ride away.

Brussels catches flak as shorthand for Eurocrats, but the city itself has a lot to offer the visitor. It's expensive though. Hotels can be brutal, and restaurants will add up too. I was lucky to be on expense account while there, and turned into a fat bastard while there from rich food and drink. It took me two months to work off my Brussels belly.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 30, 2014

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

I spent a few days in Gibraltar after a visit to Morocco. It's definitely worth a visit, especially compared to neighboring dumps like Algeciras and La Linea. Views across the Strait from the top of the rock to Jebel Moussa are spectacular, and there are monkeys all over the place too. The town is pleasant enough, a very odd fusion of English and Mediterranean.

Entering the territory, you have to cross the airport runway. During the Franco years, Spain closed the border (Madrid has been trying to take back Gibraltar for centuries), leaving only air or sea connections to the outside. The airport is on reclaimed land adjacent to the border with La Linea.

Interesting. I'll be taking a ferry over from Tangier, I think. I'm aware Gilbratar is a territory of the UK, but is English actually going to get me very far while there? I assume Spanish or another language is functionally more common. Did you stay in a hostel or a hotel?

Monkeys, huh. Yikes. Still, I'll check the place out.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Lemma posted:

Interesting. I'll be taking a ferry over from Tangier, I think. I'm aware Gilbratar is a territory of the UK, but is English actually going to get me very far while there? I assume Spanish or another language is functionally more common. Did you stay in a hostel or a hotel?

Monkeys, huh. Yikes. Still, I'll check the place out.

Most if not all the Tangier ferries connect to Algeciras, across the bay from Gibraltar. You can take a city bus from Algeciras to La Linea, and then walk into Gibraltar town. English is by far the dominant language in Gib - all the residents speak it - although most of the locals speak Castilian too, and there are a lot of Spaniards in town. Locals are a mix of Genoese, Sephardi Jew, and British background, most of the families going back generations on the Rock. They are firmly British in identification. The last referendum about whether to join Spain had them voting in favor of the UK by well over 99%.

I stayed in a hostel, although this was in 1997. It's called Emile Hostel, on Line Wall Road. It's not hard to find your way around, as the town is extremely narrow and hemmed in between the rock and the water. Gib was quite expensive - they still use the British pound, and I remember prices being significantly higher than in Spain. The monkeys stay high up on the rock, so don't worry about them in the town itself.

One of the most bizarre house parties I've ever been to was in Gib. A couple of hostel mates and I ran into a local while drinking at a pub. He invited us to a party that evening, so we tagged along. Turns out it was a Meatloaf-themed party. In order to gain admission, everyone had to sing a line from a Meatloaf song at the door. Once inside, the first thing I saw was a guy doing a line of cocaine off a framed portrait of the Queen laying on a coffee table, with, naturally, Meatloaf playing as a soundtrack.

Be ready to run a gauntlet when you arrive in Tangier. Leaving the ferry port there is a harrowing experience the first time you do it. There is always an enormous crowd of touts and hustlers waiting for arrivals from Spain, and they are incredibly persistent. It's not dangerous safety-wise, but is one hell of an introduction to Morocco. After your settled, Tangier is a pretty interesting place though. If you spend the night, stay at Hotel el-Muniria, not far from the port. William Burroughs wrote Naked Lunch while living there. In the basement is a full bar (there aren't that many in Tangier) called Tanger Inn, with photos all over the walls of Burroughs at the hotel, as well as Jack Kerouac and Allan Ginsburg from when they visited Burroughs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to the UK in a couple weeks. I'm American and my bank (Wells Fargo) doesn't have any branches there. What's the cheapest (i.e. lowest or no fee) way to get GBP? My other question is I have a credit card from them with one of those pin things on the front - can I use that for everything instead? It looks like this.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The cheapest way to get cash is very probably to withdraw some from an ATM. You'll be fine with a card pretty much everywhere, though. If you don't have a 4-number PIN for that (ie if your PIN is longer than 4 numbers or you don't have one and always sign for everything instead) you may occasionally have to point it out and ask for a piece of paper to sign when people shove the chip and pin machine at you, but it should still work. If you do have one, then it will work pretty much everywhere.

Just make sure your bank is aware that you're going to be travelling, transactions abroad can sometimes trip fraud protection stuff and get your card frozen until you sort thing sort with your bank.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
It looks like I have around a week of vacation the first week of February in/near Paris. I'm headed up there for work, but it's basically the only time for the next six months my girlfriend and I can both take a week together, so 1st week of February it is.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Paris, so am looking more for things outside / in the general region to do. I was thinking maybe the Loire Valley? Is it remotely worth doing that in February? I have a car and it wouldn't be much of an issue to drive up to Paris, as it looks like the public transit around there is like "twice a day trains between nowheresville". Ideally there would be somewhere we could spend all ~5 nights, if e.g. Tours or Angers is central enough to spend the entire time there.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Loire region is a nice destination for a couple, if you have a car it's also way easier. There are tons of castles, gentle hills, restaurants, wine, and soft foggy mornings. You can also hire one of those weird house-shaped wooden boats for a trip on the river.
Sleep accommodations are plentiful, there's so camp sites but yeah february...
My main worry with your trip is that some of the things you'd be interested in might not be open in february. A week might also be a bit long unless you take your time.
I wouldn't stay 5 days in Tours to be honest. Any reason you wouldn't just follow the river and sleep in any place you end up ?

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

The Loire region is a nice destination for a couple, if you have a car it's also way easier. There are tons of castles, gentle hills, restaurants, wine, and soft foggy mornings. You can also hire one of those weird house-shaped wooden boats for a trip on the river.
Sleep accommodations are plentiful, there's so camp sites but yeah february...
My main worry with your trip is that some of the things you'd be interested in might not be open in february. A week might also be a bit long unless you take your time.
I wouldn't stay 5 days in Tours to be honest. Any reason you wouldn't just follow the river and sleep in any place you end up ?

Yeah I wouldn't have to spend the full time in the Loire Valley, I could spend like 3-4 days there and then 3-4 days somewhere else on the way back to Switzerland where I live, I'm just not aware of anything going on in the center of France. Looking at a map literally the only cities I've heard of are Nevers, Vichy, and Clermont-Ferrand, none of which came particularly highly recommended. Is there anywhere in central France that's particularly worth stopping for and spending 2-3 days? I'm sure it's lovely in summer..

We both much prefer staying in the same place for multiple days, it's somewhat stressful to have to pack up and go after breakfast every morning. It wouldn't have to be Tours, but definitely we'd want to do 3 days in one location, and 3-4 in another, or the entire time in one place (if worthwhile). Tours seems like it's fairly central to the Loire Valley is all. Otherwise we would plan on following the river.

E: I've just checked a few chateaux and it looks like they're pretty much all open year-round, just with reduced hours in winter (e.g. 9–19 in summer, but 9–12 and 14–17 in winter).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Saladman posted:

It looks like I have around a week of vacation the first week of February in/near Paris. I'm headed up there for work, but it's basically the only time for the next six months my girlfriend and I can both take a week together, so 1st week of February it is.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Paris, so am looking more for things outside / in the general region to do. I was thinking maybe the Loire Valley? Is it remotely worth doing that in February? I have a car and it wouldn't be much of an issue to drive up to Paris, as it looks like the public transit around there is like "twice a day trains between nowheresville". Ideally there would be somewhere we could spend all ~5 nights, if e.g. Tours or Angers is central enough to spend the entire time there.

We spent 4 days in Normandy in early Feb. It was cold and rainy most of the days... but one day was nice. On the positive side, there were only like 5 other people on the landing beaches so that was kind of cool. Has your girlfriend spent a lot of time in Paris? Maybe you all can just do a few day trips from Paris?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omits-Bagels posted:

We spent 4 days in Normandy in early Feb. It was cold and rainy most of the days... but one day was nice. On the positive side, there were only like 5 other people on the landing beaches so that was kind of cool. Has your girlfriend spent a lot of time in Paris? Maybe you all can just do a few day trips from Paris?

My girlfriend hasn't spent much time at all in Paris. Most of the time I go there it's for work, and then I usually take the weekend on either side of work for sight-seeing or hanging out with people I know. I've spent a week or two a year like this the last few years and I like Paris a lot, but would like to get out of it this time. Yeah we could do day trips too, what's interesting within the general area besides Versailles? Loire Valley is a bit too far, and if I was going to spend the whole time in Paris I wouldn't drive up (though IME driving and parking in Paris is really not that hard as long as you avoid rush hours).

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm heading off to Budapest on Saturday, and I'll be there from saturday to either tuesday or wednesday I think. A friend I'm going along with has been there about three or four times while this is my first, but he has told me that he's actually yet to "experience" Budapest. Any suggestions on what to do there? What to see?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm heading off to Budapest on Saturday, and I'll be there from saturday to either tuesday or wednesday I think. A friend I'm going along with has been there about three or four times while this is my first, but he has told me that he's actually yet to "experience" Budapest. Any suggestions on what to do there? What to see?

Check out the thermal baths.
Chase hot Hungarian women.
Drink the local red wine (Bull's Blood)

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

TheImmigrant posted:

Check out the thermal baths.
Chase hot Hungarian women.
Drink the local red wine (Bull's Blood)

Sounds good, but we're both gay guys so :v: From what he's told, there's basically one gay bar in the whole city and there's really no active gay commuity there either.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Sounds good, but we're both gay guys so :v: From what he's told, there's basically one gay bar in the whole city and there's really no active gay commuity there either.

Oops.

The baths are really impressive. There are a lot of hot springs around Budapest, and the baths are quite an experience.

Vedder
Jun 20, 2006

After about three or four years without a proper holiday I have booked four days in Rome in a couple of weeks, do you think this plan is a bit much or and is there anything you would drop/replace? I arrive on a Wednesday evening from London and my plan is:

Thursday - Head to the Vatican for a 3-4 hour tour, I am thinking with going with Dark Rome for most of my tours, then in the afternoon/evening check out Castel Sant'Angelo/Panethon/Trevi Fountain areas.

Friday - Colosseum tour in the morning then maybe the eat Italy tour through Trastevere in the evening.

Saturday - Possibly the Bughese Gallery as it's doesn't look that far from the Olympic stadium where I hope to score a ticket for Lazio vs Juventus

Sunday - Thinking a relaxed sort of day, go on a tour of the Catacombs and then find a decent pub for the Milan/Inter game.

Apart from the odd group tour I will be over there on my own, so could you recommend any decent restaurants/places to eat which will ahve lik-minded people rather than a table for two candlelight affair.

Also being from England I am not exactly that bothered about blazing sunshine but apart from the Colosseum would you say any of that is no go if the weather isn't up to much. As I am quite a big football fan I was thinking about heading to Naples on the Sunday for a game in the afternoon as it's only a train ride away, would you think staying in Rome is better?

Thanks

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
None of those are a no go even if you manage to bring British weather with you, though if you've got the choice try to do Vatican on a non-rainy day. Football I can't really offer advice on, but considering that it is a rather short trip, judge for yourself how much of a priority that is.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
The Trevi fountain is being repaired, there is no water in it at the moment. You can still look at the statues but there really isn't that much to see at the moment.

Book your tickets in advance for the Vatican/colusseum etc. or you will lose most of the day queuing. Going with a tour is a good idea, although the tour I did of the Vatican was awful, it did at least mean that we beat the queues.

Naples is a rough and scary looking city and first impressions are usually negative. In actual fact it isn't that bad as long as you avoid the back streets and use normal common sense. Not all the trains between Rome and Naples are 1 hour, there are slower stopper trains as well. Book your train in advance and it should be no problem to watch a match and then get the train back in the evening. I've been told that you shouldn't get a taxi to the Stadium but should get a train or metro instead.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 7, 2014

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

For the Vatican museums buy your tickets online and you can just show up with the email on your phone/tablet/etc. Even still, expect there to be a ridiculous amount of people shambling throughout. For me, the best way to skip the line at the Colosseum is to go the Forum first. The tickets are combined for both sites and the lines at the Forum ticket booth were practically non-existent when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I'd also recommend maybe for the Sunday to head out to Ostia Antica. I went there based on the recommendations in this thread and I was blown away by it. Not as great as Pompeii in my opinion, but still quite well preserved for a place not engulfed by ash.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PlantHead posted:

Naples is a rough and scary looking city and first impressions are usually negative. In actual fact it isn't that bad as long as you avoid the back streets and use normal common sense. Not all the trains between Rome and Naples are 1 hour, there are slower stopper trains as well. Book your train in advance and it should be no problem to watch a match and then get the train back in the evening. I've been told that you shouldn't get a taxi to the Stadium but should get a train or metro instead.

Rome to Naples is a lot further than one hour. He'd be looking at ~4.5 hours of travel, so I can't imagine doing that as a day trip especially if you're only in Rome for 4 days in the first place.

As far as "blazing sunshone", it's not like it is be sunny and hot in Italy year round. You'll be lucky if you get sunshine at all, as it's really quite cloudy and chilly there in fall/winter. It will probably rain on you a couple days and remind you of London back in October.

Otherwise your plan sounds pretty solid. Colosseum tickets usually (or even always?) come with a ticket to the Roman Forum which is right across the street and you might as well walk through, even if old ruins aren't particularly your thing.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Saladman posted:

My girlfriend hasn't spent much time at all in Paris. Most of the time I go there it's for work, and then I usually take the weekend on either side of work for sight-seeing or hanging out with people I know. I've spent a week or two a year like this the last few years and I like Paris a lot, but would like to get out of it this time. Yeah we could do day trips too, what's interesting within the general area besides Versailles? Loire Valley is a bit too far, and if I was going to spend the whole time in Paris I wouldn't drive up (though IME driving and parking in Paris is really not that hard as long as you avoid rush hours).

Here is a list of Paris day trips that I wrote a few months ago... http://thesavvybackpacker.com/day-trips-paris/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Rome to Naples is a lot further than one hour. He'd be looking at ~4.5 hours of travel, so I can't imagine doing that as a day trip especially if you're only in Rome for 4 days in the first place.

As far as "blazing sunshone", it's not like it is be sunny and hot in Italy year round. You'll be lucky if you get sunshine at all, as it's really quite cloudy and chilly there in fall/winter. It will probably rain on you a couple days and remind you of London back in October.

Otherwise your plan sounds pretty solid. Colosseum tickets usually (or even always?) come with a ticket to the Roman Forum which is right across the street and you might as well walk through, even if old ruins aren't particularly your thing.

I did Pompeii as a day trip a couple years ago and it was fine, I even was just on the IC, not even the fastest train. Sure, it was a big day, but it was perfectly doable.

That said, if you've only got four days in Rome, I agree, spend them all in Rome. I was there for two weeks.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Seconding the thermal baths and local wine. Most of the food and booze is so, so cheap, go nuts.

Go to the fisherman's bastion at night and look out at across the river.

Eat really delicious cheap Hungarian food at Drum Cafe (best place I found at least)

And they have a lot of room escape games if that's your kind of thing. TRAP was particularly cool.

might be wrong fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 7, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omits-Bagels posted:

Here is a list of Paris day trips that I wrote a few months ago... http://thesavvybackpacker.com/day-trips-paris/

Awesome, thanks. That looks pretty solid, and you even went at the same time of year as we will. Maybe we'll just spend the whole time in Paris and go outside the city for day trips after all... free lodging in Paris makes it appealing.

Some of your day trips are killer though, like Lille and Mont-Saint Michel.

VVVV Yeah, I just read Ken Follett's century trilogy, along with more pages of Wikipedia than pages of his books, but Ypres/Flanders are a little further than I could handle in day trips. Is there anywhere on the Somme that's particularly interesting? I think 2 hours each way is about my max to handle and enjoy the day, since it will get dark so early in February.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 7, 2014

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Saladman posted:

Awesome, thanks. That looks pretty solid. Maybe we'll just spend the whole time there and go outside the city for once. Free lodging after all...

Edit: Even looks like you went at the same not-super-awesome time of year that we'll be going.

I'm not sure if you're into WW1 history, but on my recent trip I drove to the Vimy Memorial, Ypres/Flanders Field Museum, Passendale and some other WW1 cemeteries/memorials and it quite lovely. It was about a 2 hour drive from Paris and then another hour or two of driving around Belgium/France to the various sites.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
further on the Brussels thing; I'm going there because the EU have paid for some of my EU politics class to go to Brussels to see various EU things. We have a pretty full schedule so I don't have any free time during the day, but we're empty most evenings. What sort of places would be recommended for a bunch of students going for a bit of a piss up? Hostel is on Rue de Woeringe and stuff close to there would be nice, since our starts are all around 9 in the morning...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

further on the Brussels thing; I'm going there because the EU have paid for some of my EU politics class to go to Brussels to see various EU things. We have a pretty full schedule so I don't have any free time during the day, but we're empty most evenings. What sort of places would be recommended for a bunch of students going for a bit of a piss up? Hostel is on Rue de Woeringe and stuff close to there would be nice, since our starts are all around 9 in the morning...

I think your only option is Delirium Cafe. Whether you want to go there or not, someone else will have heard it's the best beer bar in the world and demand everyone go there.

E: For some reason I thought you said you only had one or two nights free. TheImmigrant's response below is way better.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 8, 2014

Farrok
May 29, 2006

I'm heading to Toulouse for work next week. I'll have a couple days to see the sights on the back end, what should I do? I was thinking about taking a train to Carcasonne one day. I kind of want to just rent a car and drive around the more rural areas, too, but I hadn't really thought about it before, so I'm not sure if there's a procedure for that.

Also, what's the best practice for traveling in France with a Sprint iPhone5? I see I can get the phone totally unlocked and buy a separate SIM card, or use some Sprint international roaming pseudo-unlocking. Anyone have experience with either or both?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

You'll likely end up at Delirium Village at least once, true enough, which is particularly close to where you'll be staying. It's very touristy, but has an amazing beer selection. Way better, and closer to your hostel, is Cafe Kafka, on rue de la Vierge Noire. This is one of my favorite bars in the world, and often has live music. Mappa Mundo and A La Mort Subite are cool places nearby for drinks too.

For food, Au Bon Bol is a cheap Chinese restaurant with amazing handmade artisanal noodles in the area. Como Como is also walking distance, and has all-you-can-eat Spanish tapas with wine for 30 euro. Kasbah (Moroccan) and Arcadi (European, best at lunch) are a couple more restaurants you should check out too.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Omits-Bagels posted:

Oh that's your site? I stumbled across it while searching for tips for travelling light. Found it very useful!

Vedder
Jun 20, 2006

MagicCube posted:

For the Vatican museums buy your tickets online and you can just show up with the email on your phone/tablet/etc. Even still, expect there to be a ridiculous amount of people shambling throughout. For me, the best way to skip the line at the Colosseum is to go the Forum first. The tickets are combined for both sites and the lines at the Forum ticket booth were practically non-existent when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I'd also recommend maybe for the Sunday to head out to Ostia Antica. I went there based on the recommendations in this thread and I was blown away by it. Not as great as Pompeii in my opinion, but still quite well preserved for a place not engulfed by ash.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations, really helpful, and I will do a bit of reading on Ostia Antica. I think I am not going to bother with Naples this time and maybe plan a trip to other areas another time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also, bring a snack if you're going to do the "long schedule" Vatican tour/Sistine chapel. I went in shortly before lunch and I don't think I made it through the Vatican Museum + Sistine chapel in less than three hours, and I only stopped for more than 3 minutes in about one in three rooms. You can buy your ticket for $10 and wait in line for hours in the sun on a narrow sidewalk between a castle wall and a busy street or for $25 you can skip the line.

Also if you like getting up high, to the right of the main Cathederal, there's an elevator for about 7 euros that will take you to the roof which is huge, probably 2-3 acres you can walk around and see the square + get up in to the dome and see pretty much all of Rome, if not the highest, one of the highest points in Rome, right on the river.