Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I just started playing again the other day, and the new traits got a couple of prisoners killed pretty much straight away, so my 73 days with no incidents bonus went out the window. In response I've built a max sec wing with its own yard and canteen, but the janitors refuse to bring any clothing to the 3 guys in there. Any ideas why and/or solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

So I just started playing again the other day, and the new traits got a couple of prisoners killed pretty much straight away, so my 73 days with no incidents bonus went out the window. In response I've built a max sec wing with its own yard and canteen, but the janitors refuse to bring any clothing to the 3 guys in there. Any ideas why and/or solutions?

Only prisoners bring clothes if they are assigned to work the laundry. I'd give the max-sec some work time when everyone else is safely somewhere else.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Trabisnikof posted:

Only prisoners bring clothes if they are assigned to work the laundry. I'd give the max-sec some work time when everyone else is safely somewhere else.

Not true, janitors will do laundry service.

SuperMax and Protective Custody deployment breaks laundry service, though. Janitors won't deliver to cells in those zones. I think that's already fixed for the next alpha.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a worthy uhh posted:

Not true, janitors will do laundry service.

When did they change that? Next to the tab trick, my game is really changing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Trabisnikof posted:

When did they change that? Next to the tab trick, my game is really changing.

They don't do it *well* and you're much much better off with prisoner-run laundry, but they will assist, including delivery to Max security if you only have Min/Med prisoners.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Yeah it's becoming obvious that the prisoners will use equipment that's in their allowed area no matter what it is, if they feel they need it. I totally believe that weight benches would get used like crazy in the canteen, along with anything else that satisfied needs. Hell I'm positive that if you dropped a toilet in there it would practically get fought over because eating outright increases the Poo need. In that way, Free Time is kind of the worst thing you can do from a strategic aspect - it indicates that you haven't properly thought out how to keep people happy in-regimen, so you're just relying on them meeting their needs and being good when you give them the run of the place. Which, no loving duh, of course they won't, they're criminals.

I just have a few standards remaining on aesthetics and weights in the cafeteria just looks weird. :v: I could get sold on a couple of bathrooms off to the side, though...

Yeah, I have a little room off to the side of my canteen that's still technically part of that canteen, full of phone booths/toilet stalls/TVs/etc, and they go nuts in there when they've finished eating. I don't actually give my prisoners any free or shower time at all, instead having them spend a lot of time in an all-purpose indoor yard.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ShootaBoy posted:

You might just need more janitors, doing laundry is pretty low on their priority it seems.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always have a little bathroom built into the canteen; just a few toilets with walls enclosing each and a regular door for each (like stalls). Takes care of a lot of issues.

I usually plop a couple phones in there too. Seems like there's a lot of milling around that goes on in the canteen.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FronzelNeekburm posted:

They did talk a bit about those settings in the alpha 24 video. Skip to about 30 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmPl80bSPA&t=1780s

But it looks like those data files are wrapped up in some binary file somewhere. The modding forum might have some better information on it.

The numbers are exposed, I'm just not 100% on how they all function. In case someone else gives a poo poo, based on what shows up in the files, I think this is correct:
code:
Need	Chance*	Act†	Fail‡	Object	Clear§
Bladder	100%	10:00	12:00	Toilet	0:10
Bowels	100%	10:00	24:00	Toilet	0:20
Sleep	100%	24:00	24:00	Bed	8:20
				S. Bed	4:10
Food	100%	16:00	24:00	
Safety#	90%	6:00	6:00	
Hygiene	80%	24:00	24:00	Shower	0:20
Exer.	50%	24:00	24:00	Weights	0:33
Family	0%	24:00	24:00	Phone	0:25
Rec.	70%	24:00	24:00	TV	0:50
				Pool	0:25
Comfort	70%	12:00	24:00	Bed	3:20	(Relax)
				Bed	8:20	(Sleep)
				S. Bed	NIL	(Relax)
				S. Bed	4:10	(Sleep)
				Bench	5:33	(Or Chair)
				TV	8:20
Enviro.	70%	12:00	12:00	
Privacy	50%	24:00	24:00	
Freedom	66%	24:00	24:00		
Cloth.	100%	72:00	72:00	Uniform	0:01
Drugs	30%	12:00	24:00	
Alcho.	30%	12:00	24:00
*The chance that an incoming prisoner will have a particular need.
†Not exactly sure.
‡Duration before the failure action takes place, such as the prisoner soiling themselves or going into withdrawal. I think this is also the duration before a need hits 100.
§The amount of time it should take for a prisoner with 100% of any given need to completely fulfill that need with the given object.
#Safety appears to work backwards. Prisoners need to feel unsafe for a certain period of time before they have a need for safety, and rather than growing over time it deteriorates.

I was under the impression that superior beds had no function, but according to the files prisoners using them only require half as much sleep.

Some stuff is clearly handled by scripts or what-have-you, as obviously family need is not 0% and there are no entries in the file for drugs, food, etc.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 24, 2014

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do I get people to go to class? I took the education grant, built a classroom with 20 desks, but I can't get anyone to use it. I scheduled the basic education class on the reform page, and assigned 3 horus of "work" time into the regime to get them to go to class, but no one uses the classroom. Do I somehow need to assign a staff member to teach them or something? When I look at the reform page, under the one class I scheduled it says "ROOM IN USE" (or something like that) in big red capital letters, but as far as I can tell my classroom isn't used at all.

Count Ignatiev
Sep 20, 2007

Megasabin posted:

How do I get people to go to class? I took the education grant, built a classroom with 20 desks, but I can't get anyone to use it. I scheduled the basic education class on the reform page, and assigned 3 horus of "work" time into the regime to get them to go to class, but no one uses the classroom. Do I somehow need to assign a staff member to teach them or something? When I look at the reform page, under the one class I scheduled it says "ROOM IN USE" (or something like that) in big red capital letters, but as far as I can tell my classroom isn't used at all.

Outside staff will come to teach the classes as schedules. How many prisoners are interested (and not prohibited from attending e.g. solitary) in taking the class? Do you have any security restrictions on the classroom?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Also, check your suppression levels. Prisoners that are very suppressed don't like doing classes, and don't do well when they attend.

If you can, also try out the "bugbash" builds they're advertising in the news section. They've fixed a bunch of really annoying bugs, including two involving multiple regimes and classes/jobs. In the "2c" release made today, the Programs tab now color-codes each scheduled program when possible.

Here's the current changelog, if you don't have a Mantis account:

quote:

- 0001589: [Control & User Interface] Request - digital clock (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0004535: [Control & User Interface] Enumerate cells by security level (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0002141: [Save & Load] Can overwrite save files without warning (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0003822: [Gameplay] Always Fog Of War (Chris) - resolved.
- 0004464: [Gameplay] Cooks and reform programs clash with the new regime system (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0005441: [Gameplay] object_FoodWaste is not being removed properly (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0004193: [AI & Behaviour] (Some) Prisoners won't attend Reform Programs (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0003542: [Graphics] Full-screen image flash when contraband discovered (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0004588: [AI & Behaviour] Multiple regimes not working with classroom scheduling (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0006069: [Gameplay] Supermax security prisoners are downgraded back to Max security after a murder (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0006493: [AI & Behaviour] prisoners use the same seat/phone/shower etc (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0004515: [Sound] Riot Music Continues to Play After Loading a Different Prison (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0005846: [Save & Load] Special char in user account name result in the game failing to save (John) - resolved.
- 0001358: [AI & Behaviour] Dead inmate's family still come for visitation (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0004720: [AI & Behaviour] Teacher wanders into adjacent rooms while teaching (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0003948: [Control & User Interface] dragging sound may continue playing when it shouldn't (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0003162: [Sound] Construction sound would not stop (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0006001: [Other] Name in Game ages incorrect (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0004048: [Sound] carpenter table sound continues even when no one is working at it (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0002093: [Sound] Sirens do not turn off (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0006208: [Sound] Ringing sound when deploying guard for patrols (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0000450: [Other] Make the introduction video skippable (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0004419: [AI & Behaviour] Having Multiple Psychiatrists running Multiple Counseling Programs causes them to jump between. (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0004528: [Control & User Interface] non-click mouse input still possible when window is not in focus (John) - resolved.
- 0005164: [Control & User Interface] Introduction Objectives (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0002655: [Save & Load] Incident free timer resets on load (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0003969: [AI & Behaviour] visitors may go to the wrong visitation rooms (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0000027: [AI & Behaviour] Garbage is unloaded at Deliveries (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0005611: [Control & User Interface] Clone toolbar not visible (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0001061: [Save & Load] Prisoner's sleep state not saved (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0004784: [Control & User Interface] Policy Tab - Setting punishments to "None" resets after save & load (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0006021: [Control & User Interface] too many informants cover the screen (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0002563: [AI & Behaviour] Prisoner released same time as family goes to meet him (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0002611: [Graphics] An Invisible Prisoner (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0005896: [Save & Load] Cannot save game. So I cannot load it neither. (John) - resolved.
- 0006020: [Gameplay] Bankruptcy when playing with unlimited funds (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0004601: [Sound] [motherbug] Issues regarding Sound which does not stop when it should (Icepick) - closed.
- 0002461: [Sound] riots music does not stop after a riot (Icepick) - closed.
- 0004874: [Sound] Lockdown alarm continues to sound after loading a different *.prison (Icepick) - closed.

From bug 4588:

Icepick posted:

Ok so, I've fixed a problem which would cause prisoners to attend classes when their regime didn't run for the full length of the class, as is possible in these kinds of mixed regimes.

As for the issue with other security ratings not getting their classes assigned properly, you can fix this by manually assigning the security level for each classroom. In this kind of set up, you already have a separate classroom for each rating, and so manually setting the security level for each room won't be a problem. This solves the issue being presented here.

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to "guess" what a players intentions are with this kind of setup when there are multiple different regimes and multiple shared rooms, which is why we can't, for example, make it pick a different time slot for a different security level when doing these kinds of calculations - what would work for this case wouldn't for a dozen others. This might be improved later if the way programs are created is changed (I want to change the interface to improve the amount of control you have, but no promises on that.)

From bug 4193:

Icepick posted:

So there are actually a few issues in play here. In no particular order:
- There was some odd pathing issue which was causing the prisoners to sometimes just stand still in their cells (or where ever.) This has been fixed.
- There was an issue where the position being calculated for where prisoners should stand during the carpentry course was wrong, so if the carpenters bench was up against the wall they wouldnt be able to reach it. This has also been fixed.
- Workshop items obviously need space for the prisoners to stand in order to operate them. If this space is blocked (if they are built against a wall for example) they cant be reached and any task requiring the prisoner to stand there to fail, without giving the player any indication as to why. This is now fixed - items with their working positions blocked like this will display the error icon and have a message in their tooltip. You'll need to move them to somewhere with more space.

Edit: Oh, and people who are effected by some of these bugs may need to click the Reschedule Programs button in the programs window, or otherwise delete and recreate their programs, to fully resolve this bug.

From bug 4464:

Icepick posted:

As mentioned, this issue is very broad and actually covers a lot of different problems, however they should be largely resolved now by a combination of work done on different bugs and some stuff specifically done for this one.

In broad strokes, issues with food production across multiple kitchens and food distribution should now be fixed, and issues involving multiple regimes and security zones, including issues involving the foreman teaching programs in different security zones, should now all be resolved.

If, after this code has been released and testing has been done there are still issues here, it would be more helpful to find more specific bugs that deal with the particular issue or to create a new one if they don't exist instead of re-opening this one as the issues here make up a number of separate fixes.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 25, 2014

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
one thing i do wish was possible is for rooms/areas to be accessable to more options than just one sec level/Everyone In The Prison. I wouldn't mind my low/med sec prisoners being able to mix in a Canteen/Workshop, but i don't want to be adding my Max/any SuperMax prisoners to the mix too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nick Esasky posted:

one thing i do wish was possible is for rooms/areas to be accessable to more options than just one sec level/Everyone In The Prison. I wouldn't mind my low/med sec prisoners being able to mix in a Canteen/Workshop, but i don't want to be adding my Max/any SuperMax prisoners to the mix too.

Set it shared with the only ways in being short corridors/small rooms that are limited to the prisoners you want allowed in the kitchen.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I had two really weird deaths yesterday. My two protective custody guys were constantly getting injured and then unconscious for no apparent reason. They were pretty much isolated from the rest of the prison, apart from reform programs and visitation, and weren't fighting each other either. I kept running doctors to patch them up, which they did, only for the prisoners to get injured again. I focused on something else for a while and then found one of them dead in a hospital bed and the other dead in a solitary cell.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I started to think it would be really cool if this is how poison works but I've no idea how you could prevent it then.

I also noticed the injuries only after turning their outdoors yard into an indoor one. Could this be a weird bug? I have pc cells around the pc yard but if the yard doesn't have foundations the guards patrolling on it can't see into the cells. At least once the injury happened when they were lifting weights - so maybe that's related? Here's a picture of my setup after removing the weight benches. This is all marked protective custody.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm guessing they were starving.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Havana Affair posted:

I had two really weird deaths yesterday. My two protective custody guys were constantly getting injured and then unconscious for no apparent reason. They were pretty much isolated from the rest of the prison, apart from reform programs and visitation, and weren't fighting each other either. I kept running doctors to patch them up, which they did, only for the prisoners to get injured again. I focused on something else for a while and then found one of them dead in a hospital bed and the other dead in a solitary cell.

Sure they weren't starving?

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

a worthy uhh posted:

I have the same issue. This seems to happen to my prisoners under lockdown. Is there a way to feed them or is lockdown a death sentence?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Don't have them in lockdown for more than 2 (3?) days in a row.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

nielsm posted:

Sure they weren't starving?

This may have been it. Though there seems to be food available in the canteen (the screenshot is soon after their deaths) and they had plenty of time to eat in the regime. I'll have to check when I get a new batch of pc prisoners.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I keep getting a weird bug when the game autosaves that maxes out hygiene and bladder needs on all of my prisoners, which causes them all to immediately piss wherever they're standing. My canteen looks like a sewage plant :gonk:.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Wallet posted:

I keep getting a weird bug when the game autosaves that maxes out hygiene and bladder needs on all of my prisoners, which causes them all to immediately piss wherever they're standing. My canteen looks like a sewage plant :gonk:.

Autosave is the new Montezuma's Revenge.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Malek posted:

Autosave is the new Montezuma's Revenge.

Is this a known bug or is one of the mods I have loving it up?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

:getin:

Surprisingly he's been convicted of multiple charges of rape. voyeurism and gross indecency without being a user submitted prisoner. I didn't think the game automatically generated those types of prisoner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hank Morgan posted:

Surprisingly he's been convicted of multiple charges of rape. voyeurism and gross indecency without being a user submitted prisoner. I didn't think the game automatically generated those types of prisoner.

Aside from the rap sheet, you appear to have generated Mister T.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Three murders in the time it took to upload and post the picture.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

Do what I did and throw that legendary prisoner in solitary until he starves to death.

Guards are expensive to replace!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hank Morgan posted:

Well one of the other prisoners in that shot was a Snitch so he was probably the first to go.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

I'm pretty sure the rap sheets on user made prisoners are always randomly generated since they rarely match up to the bios

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Pornographic Memory posted:

I'm pretty sure the rap sheets on user made prisoners are always randomly generated since they rarely match up to the bios

There's a list of user generated prisoners under extras. He doesn't appear to be in it.

After his first stint in solitary he immediately pulled a knife on the guard escorting him out of the cell. He did that twice before I thought about searching him and confiscating it. He's back out in general pop now and he's killed another three guards. I don't mind since it's a deliberately lovely prison. One toilet, one big holding cell and continuous intake.

Edit: And another two.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 29, 2014

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

There's a list of user generated prisoners under extras. He doesn't appear to be in it.

After his first stint in solitary he immediately pulled a knife on the guard escorting him out of the cell. He did that twice before I thought about searching him and confiscating it. He's back out in general pop now and he's killed another three guards. I don't mind since it's a deliberately lovely prison. One toilet, one big holding cell and continuous intake.

Edit: And another two.

Just consider this guy your "continuous output."

Through body bags.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

In a totally unrelated incident my power generator exploded for some reason. Taking out the large chunk of my admin building and bit of the holding cell building. Luckily chain fences are unaffected by explosions and fire or otherwise I would have had a mass escape on my hands. 50+ hours in this game and it's my first time actually seeing a fire happen. I'm not going to repair anything though. A smokey pit is just the perfect look for my prison.

My legendary prisoner is up to about 15 murders at this point.

Edit: Figured out what caused the explosion. I originally had my regime set to continuous lock-down. I later changed it to free-time. Early on in the build however I had completed the grant that requires you to build a shower. I was lazy and built the shower head in an outdoors utility area. In between the pump and the generator. So in free-time a prisoner will walk out to this shower, turn it on and as soon as the water hits the generator. Kablammo!

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 29, 2014

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 29, 2014

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
That series of posts was amazing.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Generation Internet posted:

That series of posts was amazing.

Indeed. Really wants to make me play again.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The "cook and clean" setup (stoves in the shower area) used to have equally spectacular results.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Cell toilet chat - you can take the concept further by putting cells in an L shape as I've posted about before:

More space can be saved by having the doors along a shared wall, and you can also put a TV and phone in each cell to effectively and efficiently meet more needs and to operate without visitation:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 30, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alpha 26 is out! This one's another bug bash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3EgTP2FYA

Notes are here

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jack the Lad posted:

Cell toilet chat - you can take the concept further by putting cells in an L shape as I've posted about before:

More space can be saved by having the doors along a shared wall, and you can also put a TV and phone in each cell to effectively and efficiently meet more needs and to operate without visitation:

Non-Euclidian Geometry Architect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
If for some reason you don't have Yard time in your regime you should put it in, they added some new behaviors for prisoners.

• Locked thread