Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna fight Karl Boss and go hunt some Y Burns.

Mega64 posted:

Just be wary of Dinglberries.

All while using pirate lingo speaking Princess Salsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Senator Chuckles posted:

Naw, I completely agree with you on that. I was referring to this old ultimania-type book that was floating around that had a bunch of wonky information about the planet (circumference was the size of a small continent, everyone's height and weight was off, etc).

Found it over here http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ff4comp.htm#Baron , but in retrospect, it doesn't really look official. Baron's population is listed as 3500.

I own one of these (there are a few in the set - I have the item/critter/etc encyclopedia with Edge on the cover, not the one translated above), and while the actual physical publisher is different the books cheerfully carry a "Square Brand" logo on the back.

There's a certain amount of fractured-by-fantasy internal consistency with the tininess; Baron has a population of 3500 (maybe just the city dwellers), is about half Scotland's size ... If the world is somehow that teenytiny (magic!), gravity would be less and people would seem to weigh less (thus the weird weights given), and hey that could explain how Kain skyrockets with his jumps anyway. Sure it doesn't make any kind of actual real world sense, but then magic and the moon is an alien spaceship made from planet bits. :words:

What can I say, I'm actually kind of entertained by it all.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I really wanted to enjoy Dissadia but the gameplay just never clicked with me. Nomura's designs were serviceable though, I guess.

Beef Waifu posted:

I missed this post.

Exciting trailer, I guess. I have no idea what's going on but that's par for the course with FF trailers.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

I really wanted to enjoy Dissadia but the gameplay just never clicked with me. Nomura's designs were serviceable though, I guess.

Exciting trailer, I guess. I have no idea what's going on but that's par for the course with FF trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3kiRYcDAo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

I really wanted to enjoy Dissadia but the gameplay just never clicked with me.

Same, issue was for me that I played a lot of DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3, and while they play from a similar perspective they're really different, but my dumb lizard brain couldn't rewire it self well enough. I should try again one day. One day..

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So gameblog.fr got a sneak peek at FF15, and Hajime Tabata confirmed the theme of the game is "Bromance."

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 30, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Wow, I guess I was wrong about them saving the good stuff for Jump Festa. Apparently there was a 10 min. long demo showing world exploration, chocobos, camping, and even fishing.

Makes me wonder what they're gonna show at Jump Festa, then. It's gotta be bigger than whatever is at Paris Games Week.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tabata seems like he's trying to put out new footage constantly to let everyone know the game is actually in development still, which is cool of him. God knows Square needs some good publicity after everything that's been happening the past seven years.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

univbee posted:

So gameblog.fr got a sneak peek at FF15, and Hajime Tabata confirmed the theme of the game is "Bromance."

Considering the theme of FF8 was "romance" I'm eagerly awaiting the scene where Noctis does a sweet ballroom dance with his bros.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mischitary posted:

Wow, I guess I was wrong about them saving the good stuff for Jump Festa. Apparently there was a 10 min. long demo showing world exploration, chocobos, camping, and even fishing.

Makes me wonder what they're gonna show at Jump Festa, then. It's gotta be bigger than whatever is at Paris Games Week.

Can we expect footage soon? Google isn't helping.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

oblomov posted:

You guys are nuts. FFIX is the 2nd best game in the series, after VI. I loved the characters and setting there. VII is third in the list. Note that I pretty much know nothing about Dragonball so ... and there is nothing wrong with Journey to the West vibes. You can see that in shitload of anime series, games and even movies.

FFIX brings back the 4 person parties, there are multiple modes of transportation, more stuff to do, sidequests are decent, leveling and equipment system is interesting, and we get traditional class system back. I agree that Steiner is actually a decent characters once some char development occurs in the game. Garnet is pretty good along with Vivi, and Zidane is not all that bad compared to some other FF protagonists. Eiko though is ...

FFVI -> FFIX -> FFVII -> FFV -> FFX -> FFIV (PSP Version, don't like the 3D remake) -> FFVIII -> FFXIII (up to chapter 10) -> FFIII -> FFX-2. It's been too long since first couple FF games so I don't remember much and I disliked X-2. Didn't care much for 3 either (the remake).

The only bad part is that battles are a bit slow but you can increase battle speed in the menu, there are haste items/skills so that leaves some unfortunately not skippable animation during summons. Even for the latter, I think health regen/atb regen still kicks in so at least it's not a total loss.

Edit: On Dissidia - the 2nd game was pretty great I thought. It's an interesting twist on ARPG/Fighting Game certainly. On the other hand Chaos Rings (played the first two) is very meh.

Hmmm...FFIX near the top of your list and X-2 on the bottom. Good to know you like games with bad gameplay.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

gigglefeimer posted:

Hmmm...FFIX near the top of your list and X-2 on the bottom. Good to know you like games with bad gameplay.

He has bad opinions, but you take that back about IX.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love 9 but that game is too slow.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

He has bad opinions, but you take that back about IX.

I take nothing back, IX has bad gameplay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't like 9 and the game is too slow.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you hate FF9, then I would say that your soul lacks whimsy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF9 is one of my favorite games of all time and the game is too slow.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you hate FF9, then I would say that your soul lacks whimsy.

I didn't say hate. I don't like 9. I hate 8.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

People complain about the battles, which I have never had a problem with, but whether you care about that, there's Chocobo Hot and Cold/the chocograph system, a return to classes, an ability system that isn't poo poo, and four-person parties, with characters who aren't homogenous. There is more to gameplay than just battle speed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I didn't say hate. I don't like 9. I hate 8.

I wish I liked 8. There's a lot of cool stuff in there underneath all the poo poo.

morallyobjected posted:

People complain about the battles, which I have never had a problem with, but whether you care about that, there's Chocobo Hot and Cold/the chocograph system, a return to classes, an ability system that isn't poo poo, and four-person parties, with characters who aren't homogenous. There is more to gameplay than just battle speed.

I think FF games need to start having more useless but fun minigames. Things like the motorcycle chase in FF7, or the part in FF7 where you leap with the dolphin, or the part in FF7 where you march in the parade, or the part in FF7 where...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck it's not even the battle speed alone but the fact that the loading times for battles is really dire.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I've gotten used to it by now though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And most of that is boring/not handled well/gimmicked except for Chocobo Hot & Cold... also Trance is bad. I generally have a rule that if your JRPG is slow then it needs A LOT to make up for that, which FFIX did not fulfill.

Srice posted:

Heck it's not even the battle speed alone but the fact that the loading times for battles is really dire.

Every loading screen is like ten seconds long, isn't it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

Chocobo Hot and Cold/the chocograph system
If we're counting minigames than FF8 is the best game of all time.

morallyobjected posted:

a return to classes
If you prefer that, cool, but to me it doesn't really matter.

morallyobjected posted:

an ability system that isn't poo poo
Something just about every game in the series not named FF8 or vanilla FF12 can boast.'

morallyobjected posted:

There is more to gameplay than just battle speed.
FF9 is a very, very slow game, and the battles aren't exactly complicated or in-depth either. It's standard final fantasy. You hit dudes and heal. If the game was super complex and had innovative systems than the slow battle speed could be forgiven, but it kind of doesn't. The battles aren't bad but they're just sort of... there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Beef Waifu posted:

And all of that is boring/not handled well/gimmicked except for Chocobo Hot & Cold... also Trance is bad. I generally have a rule that if your JRPG is slow then it needs A LOT to make up for that, which FFIX did not fulfill.

I never found FF9 to be slow, but then again I was playing games like Beyond the Beyond, a game which has an intro that takes around 30 minutes to complete. I also find Final Fantasy Tactics to be a lot slower than any mainstream FF game, and people love that one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

a return to classes

I will freely admit that I have not played 9 in...quite a while, but I recall the Class thing in the game being more like each Character has a different class that can't change, which is vastly inferior to a proper job system.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It also has a vastly inferior card game to FF8's AKA the only reason to play FF8's it's so good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

forbidden lesbian posted:

I will freely admit that I have not played 9 in...quite a while, but I recall the Class thing in the game being more like each Character has a different class that can't change, which is vastly inferior to a proper job system.

This is correct. Zidane could steal, Garnet and Eiko did white magic and summons, no customization to be found. Not a big deal for me really.

fake edit: Do people refer to Garnet as Dagger when talking about the character? I never called her that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the reason I hate 8 is so much is that I played through the entire game with only playing the card game once, in the beginning when they make you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally, as a kid, I had no loving idea what was going on in that card game. It just straight up did not make sense, and I never found any explanations. There were letters and numbers and sometimes something would flip a card, other times it wouldn't, sometimes a sick combo would happen, sometimes it wouldn't. Even when I tried to play it on an emulator I had to savescum.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is correct. Zidane could steal, Garnet and Eiko did white magic and summons, no customization to be found. Not a big deal for me really.

fake edit: Do people refer to Garnet as Dagger when talking about the character? I never called her that.

I refer to her as Dagger because I like that name more.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Something just about every game in the series not named FF8 or vanilla FF12 can boast.'

You forgot 6, 7, 10, and 13.

Endorph posted:

FF9 is a very, very slow game, and the battles aren't exactly complicated or in-depth either. It's standard final fantasy. You hit dudes and heal. If the game was super complex and had innovative systems than the slow battle speed could be forgiven, but it kind of doesn't. The battles aren't bad but they're just sort of... there.

I probably care about this too much, but I just loaded up 7, 8, and 9, and 7 and 8 random battles went about 10 seconds from flash screen to character models loading. 9 went about 15. Five seconds doesn't seem like a big difference to me, but I guess you can argue it over the long run.

I prefer this to 7 and 8, where every single character is pretty much homogenous in every way aside from limits and stats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

You forgot 6, 7, 10, and 13.
Just so we're clear here: You think materia is bad?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

I prefer this to 7 and 8, where every single character is pretty much homogenous in every way aside from limits and stats.

My Confession: I've never played FF7, and have somehow managed to avoid enough spoilers to not really know what the story/battle mechanics of it are.

I'm sorry i'm a fraud

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like seriously, I know that aeris dies and that the graphics are bad, but nothing past that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like seriously, I know that aeris dies and that the graphics are bad, but nothing past that.

You're literally worse than Hitler Sephiroth.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Same, until I played it two years ago and it's a very very good video game, better than any other FF and is in its own league. You should give it a shot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

My Confession: I've never played FF7, and have somehow managed to avoid enough spoilers to not really know what the story/battle mechanics of it are.

I'm sorry i'm a fraud

tl;dr, you put hundreds of thousands of experience points into magic balls to make them get huge and reproduce.

I'm only partially kidding and the game more or less narrates it like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

You're literally worse than Hitler Sephiroth.

That references doesn't make sense to someone who hasn't played FF7 :(