Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Now Mamontov needs to film "Salo: 120 days of sodom" about the Maidan. Oh, wait, that title's already taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TeodorMorozov posted:

Your efforts were amazing but also useless.
That's only because SBU chief Valentyn Nalyvaichenko told on air what MH17 was downed by Buk-M.
There are no Buk-M on Russian military service. This modification of Buks is Ukrainian model ;)

The way I see it, is that by banning you SA can drain the russian military budget ten american dollars at a time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

TeodorMorozov posted:

That's only because SBU chief Valentyn Nalyvaichenko told on air what MH17 was downed by Buk-M.
There are no Buk-M on Russian military service. This modification of Buks is Ukrainian model ;)

A buk? Get out of here with that NATO propaganda. It was clearly shot down by a Ukrainian jet, which was trying to shoot down Putin, and yet also MH17 was intentionally downed as part of a NATO plot (or something).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TeodorMorozov posted:

There is no such thing as a Buk-M except as a reference to the entire modernized family of the Buk SAM system (basically everything made after 1983). The Buk-M1 was first Soviet modernization of the original Buk and that was followed by the Buk-M1-2, and eventually the Buk-M2. All of these fall under "Buk-M".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Warbadger posted:

There is no such thing as a Buk-M except as a reference to the entire modernized family of the Buk SAM system (basically everything made after 1983). The Buk-M1 was first Soviet modernization of the original Buk and that was followed by the Buk-M1-2, and eventually the Buk-M2. All of these fall under "Buk-M".

Going to need some lotion for that :iceburn:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

TeodorMorozov posted:

I wasn't aware the former Iraqi Information Minister got a new job. And in Russia of all places.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Not exactly. There is another branch of Buk-Ms that was modernized by Ukroboronprom (Ukrainian Defense Industry), and was intended to serve Ukrainian Army Forces only.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

TeodorMorozov posted:

Not exactly. There is another branch of Buk-Ms that was modernized by Ukroboronprom (Ukrainian Defense Industry), and was intended to serve Ukrainian Army Forces only.

Uh huh.

You do realize that making a claim like this with no proof at all other than "Defense minister said so" doesn't hold up claims supported by pictures of the weapon used, maps, and other supporting evidence as well as an explanation of the reasoning that lead them to said conclusion.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TeodorMorozov posted:

I thinks most of us would like to see some links in regards to this, as all Buk-Ms are Russian or Soviet, except for :belarus: Buk-MB.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TeodorMorozov posted:

"You're wrong Brown Moses, it was a BUK-M, which is Ukrainian. :smug:"
"BUK-M is meaningless, they're all BUK-M's"
"No no I mean it's a special Ukrainian BUK-M, see?"

I don't know if you're trolling or dumb, but the distinction doesn't really matter.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TeodorMorozov posted:

Actually it is in fact exactly as I said and your implication is utter unsubstantiated bullshit.

Ukraine operates the (rather outdated at this point) Buk and the not-quite-as-old Buk-M1. They do not operate nor export a "Buk-M" aside from the Buk-M1 and some domestic modernizations of the Buk-M1 which they still call the Buk-M1. They also upgraded some Belorussian launchers with a new RADAR that they called a Buk-MB, which is still not called a "Buk-M" unless you're referring to the entire family of weapon systems.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TeodorMorozov posted:

So Valentyn Nalyvaichenko just said all the Russian media that claimed it was downed by an Ukrainian Su-25 are lying?

That's some progress I guess.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

So Valentyn Nalyvaichenko just said all the Russian media that claimed it was downed by an Ukrainian Su-25 are lying?

That's some progress I guess.

Nalyvaychenko is a Ukrainian security official.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Viktor's alies are betraying him! :allears:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
There are some nice lifehacks on "his" twitter.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wierre posted:

Viktor's alies are betraying him! :allears:

The irony is Azerbaijan is somehow even more repressive.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Nalyvaychenko is a Ukrainian security official.

Actually he is CIA uncovert agent. But it doesn't matter after all :)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

TeodorMorozov posted:

Actually he is CIA uncovert agent. But it doesn't matter after all :)

Which of the 4-5 conflicting "NO IT WASN'T THE REBELS" narratives on MH17 do you actually believe?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Best Friends posted:

Which of the 4-5 conflicting "NO IT WASN'T THE REBELS" narratives on MH17 do you actually believe?

Ooooh oooh I've got a good one: It was the rebels but they were using a Buk that Ukrainian intelligence purposefully sabotaged to secretly only fire on commercial airliners.

I'll just sit back and wait for RT to contact me with a job offer now.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

Ooooh oooh I've got a good one: It was the rebels but they were using a Buk that Ukrainian intelligence purposefully sabotaged to secretly only fire on commercial airliners.

I'll just sit back and wait for RT to contact me with a job offer now.

My pet theory is that the Malaysian airlines flight that went missing in the Pacific landed safely somewhere and they tried to collect insurance on it. The ace reporters at prisonplanet.com were getting too close to the truth so Malaysian Airlines had no choice but to destroy the plane for real.

I like to think that the SA forum is considered a significant enough part of American public opinion that the FSB/Nashi actually paid ten dollars to try to influence us.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Smerdyakov posted:

I like to think that the SA forum is considered a significant enough part of American public opinion that the FSB/Nashi actually paid ten dollars to try to influence us.
There are plenty of Russian nationalists who'll do it for free. It momentarily offsets the terror they feel about Russia's decline into a second-rate European power from it's previous position as a global hegemon.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

There are plenty of Russian nationalists who'll do it for free. It momentarily offsets the terror they feel about Russia's decline into a second-rate European power from it's previous position as a global hegemon.

It is second place global hegemon.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfnVkyceo0
Russian actor Mikhail Porechenkov decided to go on safari in Ukraine in a press gear. I guess the next dead LifeNews or RT journo would know whom to thank for being treated like a target.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Unfortunately, the experiment "The problem of population survival on Ukraine during winter with shortage of energy" (:skeltal:) will not be conducted ...

But on the other side, RF finally gets debt from Ukraine, that is not so bad. Moreover, this is EU money, that adds some charm to these gas agreements :)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Putin supposedly had a speech in Sochi a few days ago in which he admonished the backroom dealings of "Western elites" and dealing directly "to the people"...

http://cluborlov.blogspot.fi/2014/10/putin-to-western-elites-play-time-is.html

quote:

. Russia will no longer play games and engage in back-room negotiations over trifles. But Russia is prepared for serious conversations and agreements, if these are conducive to collective security, are based on fairness and take into account the interests of each side.

2. All systems of global collective security now lie in ruins. There are no longer any international security guarantees at all. And the entity that destroyed them has a name: The United States of America.

3. The builders of the New World Order have failed, having built a sand castle. Whether or not a new world order of any sort is to be built is not just Russia's decision, but it is a decision that will not be made without Russia.

4. Russia favors a conservative approach to introducing innovations into the social order, but is not opposed to investigating and discussing such innovations, to see if introducing any of them might be justified.

5. Russia has no intention of going fishing in the murky waters created by America's ever-expanding “empire of chaos,” and has no interest in building a new empire of her own (this is unnecessary; Russia's challenges lie in developing her already vast territory). Neither is Russia willing to act as a savior of the world, as she had in the past.

6. Russia will not attempt to reformat the world in her own image, but neither will she allow anyone to reformat her in their image. Russia will not close herself off from the world, but anyone who tries to close her off from the world will be sure to reap a whirlwind.

7. Russia does not wish for the chaos to spread, does not want war, and has no intention of starting one. However, today Russia sees the outbreak of global war as almost inevitable, is prepared for it, and is continuing to prepare for it. Russia does not war—nor does she fear it.

8. Russia does not intend to take an active role in thwarting those who are still attempting to construct their New World Order—until their efforts start to impinge on Russia's key interests. Russia would prefer to stand by and watch them give themselves as many lumps as their poor heads can take. But those who manage to drag Russia into this process, through disregard for her interests, will be taught the true meaning of pain.

9. In her external, and, even more so, internal politics, Russia's power will rely not on the elites and their back-room dealing, but on the will of the people.

The translators seemed to think this was a really big deal.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Best Friends posted:

I believe it wasn't the rebels. It was a rogue, drunken team of Russian women who stole a Buk-M1-2 from a Ukranian storage shed in New Russia and decided to drive it to Old Russia for training before they decided to go to Neuvo Russia and defend the Russian ethnic peoples against Ukranian terrorism of air superiority. Clearly, Russia cannot trust women with equal rights.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

Putin supposedly had a speech in Sochi a few days ago in which he admonished the backroom dealings of "Western elites" and dealing directly "to the people"...

http://cluborlov.blogspot.fi/2014/10/putin-to-western-elites-play-time-is.html

The translators seemed to think this was a really big deal.
The bit about "global war" being "almost inevitable" is what frightens me the most. You don't hear Chinese leaders talking that way. There's a theory out there that authoritarian states built around a single strongman but with large domestic constituencies tend to be the most militarily adventurous. (Military juntas rank second.) Authoritarian states like China and Iran, in different ways those governments are comprised of authoritarian party and theocratic structures with large domestic constituencies, so there's built-in firewalls that tend to discourage adventurism. This is why I'd argue that we need detente with Iran and focus on increasing mil-mil cooperation with China, and focus on immediate military containment of Russia. We should not seek, but plan for war with Russia, because Russia is planning for war with us -- and detente (or "reset") won't discourage it.

But I don't know if Putin actually said that or if that's just Orlov's interpretation.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

quote:

7. Russia does not wish for the chaos to spread, does not want war, and has no intention of starting one. However, today Russia sees the outbreak of global war as almost inevitable, is prepared for it, and is continuing to prepare for it. Russia does not war—nor does she fear it.

quote:

First of all, as regards the future development of mankind, and quite apart from all present political considerations. Fascism does not, generally speaking, believe in the possibility or utility of perpetual peace. It therefore discards pacifism as a cloak for cowardly supine renuncia­tion in contradistinction to self-sacrifice.

Welp, there it is

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing is that "global war" might not mean conventional war in the old way we think about it, but a kind of hybrid war involving political/diplomatic/intelligence/covert/unconventional means to secure national objectives. Which is kind of ... what Russia is doing now.

I think that's the more likely case. But the dangers of nuclear weapons has not gone away, and the idea of an unthinkable nuclear war in the 21st century involving Russia and the West might need some thinking about, if only because of the dangers of miscalculation -- which never went away -- and because the consequences would be so disastrous for the planet and the human race.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Putin sounds very desperate there. The only reason he drops the masquerade, so to speak, is because he sucks at that game and he's getting througly owned in every aspect besides straight military (nuclear) power, the only thing he can flaunt. It's like watching an animal caught in a snare thrashing around.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pigdog posted:

Putin sounds very desperate there. The only reason he drops the masquerade, so to speak, is because he sucks at that game and he's getting througly owned in every aspect besides military power. It's like watching an animal caught in a snare thrashing around.

The continued downturn in energy prices, primarily led by American production, is tanking Russian foreign power. While America has a widely diversified base of power, Russian power solely results from alcohol and energy. Solely, meaning it does not result from the accountability or the morals of the Russian peoples.

What we are seeing is a world finally realizing that, while America won't be there for you in times of plenty, we will be there for you in times of few. The rising and aspiring non-democratic powers of this world cannot guarantee the same.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

pigdog posted:

Putin sounds very desperate there. The only reason he drops the masquerade, so to speak, is because he sucks at that game and he's getting througly owned in every aspect besides straight military (nuclear) power, the only thing he can flaunt. It's like watching an animal caught in a snare thrashing around.

Shame that this is exactly when such powers are at their most dangerous. If I were the Americans or Germans I'd be rearming yesterday.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Forums Terrorist posted:

Shame that this is exactly when such powers are at their most dangerous. If I were the Americans or Germans I'd be rearming yesterday.

Unlike England, America never ceased its armaments post-war. We used the downsizing to get smart with them.

Unfortunately, our domestic policy is complacent about the threat Russia poses and has fallen in line with populist demagogues. I do think another red scare could be a useful policy tool to reign in the populists, after this election.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The US doesn't need a red scare this time, we already have Ebola, ISIS, immigrants, Obamacare and Common Core to scare people with.

Polish film maker makes zombie video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsKtRx4wf8

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unlike England, America never ceased its armaments post-war. We used the downsizing to get smart with them.

Unfortunately, our domestic policy is complacent about the threat Russia poses and has fallen in line with populist demagogues. I do think another red scare could be a useful policy tool to reign in the populists, after this election.

Lack of fear isn't America's problem.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think a purge would be a wonderful policy tool to reign in the lobbyists and thinktanks. It's obvious their ideas have had their chance and failed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Panzeh posted:

I think a purge would be a wonderful policy tool to reign in the lobbyists and thinktanks. It's obvious their ideas have had their chance and failed.

How do you know Russia isn't using dark money to fund teaparty challengers in America to shut down the government?

How do you know 100% that isn't the case? Can you verify with 100% certainty that isn't the case?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

How do you know Russia isn't using dark money to fund teaparty challengers in America to shut down the government?

How do you know 100% that isn't the case? Can you verify with 100% certainty that isn't the case?
It's hard to prove a negative. But I think a lot of people are kind of in the dark (or underestimate) the amount of foreign intelligence activity inside the United States.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

It's hard to prove a negative. But I think a lot of people are kind of in the dark (or underestimate) the amount of foreign intelligence activity inside the United States.

It's not like the US has any secrets other countries could take advantage of. Surprise, we're operating a panopticon-style surveillance apparatus and want to bomb everyone who doesn't wave the US flag with enough gusto. Truly a shocking discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

It's not like the US has any secrets other countries could take advantage of. Surprise, we're operating a panopticon-style surveillance apparatus and want to bomb everyone who doesn't wave the US flag with enough gusto. Truly a shocking discovery
Hah. True. But I think a lot of intelligence work is trying to sway opinion and policy inside other countries for your own government's ends. The U.S. also deploys this kind of soft power with gusto, of course. But if you Google these various think-tanks associated with the likes of Ron Paul and his people, you'll find a trail of breadcrumbs leading to these weird Italian and French organizations staffed by Russians promoting links to articles that they've landed at the likes of The National Interest about "The Russian point-of-view on X"

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread