Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

I've been thinking about giving this another try, but don't know if I can stand a whole season as bad as the first 2-3 episodes - what's this cherry picked list of episodes?

Must See:
Everything from Turn, Turn, Turn onward.

That said, one thing that I really thinks makes the early episodes more tolerable by far is that while presented as "item of the week" stuff, you can be assured almost all of it will make a full reappearance later on. It's honestly not quite as bad when you know it's not disposable.

The Asgardian one with Ward is a must though, given how much it plays into the ultimate plot. That episode is far, far better knowing what we know now.

ED: The one with the Staff has a lot of Ward story too, so that's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'd say pick it up from #13 "T.R.A.C.K.S' or #14 "T.A.H.I.T.I" then roll through to the end. #13 has an interesting gimmick and the story gets pretty sequential after the end of that episode. I guess arguably you could skip #15 "Yes Men" as that's not really that important to the ongoing storyline, but it does have some kinda cool stuff in it. Everything from #16 "End of the Beginning" is pretty much required reading, though.

In short, I'd say #13+ should do you fine. If you want the absolute bare minimum, though? #14, then #16 on. Oh, and you'll definitely need to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier as well. If you haven't seen it already, watch it between #16 and #17 "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

No, Fox has the rights to the Thing. :D

Actually I'm curious. Do Marvel cinematic rights and TV rights overlap? Or are there some characters that they could make appear on TV, but not mention in the movies? I know they retain different aspects of the characters and I'm not sure if movies & tv are lumped in, basically.

jng2058 posted:

In short, I'd say #13+ should do you fine. If you want the absolute bare minimum, though? #14, then #16 on. Oh, and you'll definitely need to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier as well. If you haven't seen it already, watch it between #16 and #17 "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Agreed on TWS. It's an awesome movie anyway, so worth watching.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Blazing Ownager posted:

Part of the reason I believe Ward is that he was very loyal to Garret. And he's also been very loyal to Skye. And now, in his own twisted way, he regrets that conflict of loyalty.

It doesn't mesh up with the older Ward's description of him at all. Again, I think Ward is definitely a villain or sorts yet and is a bad guy, but in this particular case, I think he's probably 100% accurate.

ED: Also Garret and Ward's discussion about his family before he got broke out of jail. I will be shocked if it turns out younger Ward is the one lying here.

Whatever anyone thinks of Ward, once he decides to be loyal to someone it's till the death. I can buy he's being completely honest to Skye

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Gonna agree that episode 14 or so is a good place to start. That's when the show decides to have an actual plot rather than simply spinning its wheels, and slowly improves until Turn Turn Turn, at which point it becomes legitimately entertaining/fun. People make a big deal about how stuff from the first half comes back in the second, but I really don't think it's worth watching a dozen episodes for. None of the characters get any subtle, in-depth characterization/backstory that you're going to miss by just watching episode 14-on, and the kind of stuff that gets a callback in the last few episodes is literally a "Oh, it's that thing from episode 3!" reference rather than anything important.

I'm usually the guy who tells people to just watch the entire show when they ask for specific episodes, but in this case we're talking about like 8 hours of some really, really boring TV just to get a few references and a few interesting scenes where one character maybe does something neat to foreshadow what happens in later episodes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually I'm curious. Do Marvel cinematic rights and TV rights overlap? Or are there some characters that they could make appear on TV, but not mention in the movies? I know they retain different aspects of the characters and I'm not sure if movies & tv are lumped in, basically.

Previously, the Marvel TV rights had been doled out all over the loving place on a show by show basis. However, once the Mouse bought Marvel, Disney declined to renew all those little contracts (which, like most TV shows are on a season to season renewal setup) and pulled all the TV rights to all of Marvel's shows back home. Right now, on TV, Disney owns everything. They could put an X-Men live action TV show on next season if they wanted to, and they could cross it over with Agents of SHIELD in the first episode.

They won't, though, because their fear is that any traffic they generate on TV would funnel people to go see Fox's X-Men or Sony's Spider-Man films. That's why they keep AoS on the air, after all, to encourage people to go see Avengers movies. It's also why you're seeing an Inhumans movie in Stage III of the MCU. They're going to use them to replace mutants as the generic "people with powers we don't want to explain." It's also why many of us are speculating that Skye, Raina, and Skye's Dad are all Inhumans, especially since the Inhumans have ties to the Kree.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jng2058 posted:

While the double shot was the funniest move, I was pretty impressed by Hunter breaking that HYDRA gal's jump kick with a chair. It felt very "Yeah, sorry babe, I ain't got time for that poo poo. Eat chair."

Yeah, that was a pretty great way to finish that fight.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Previously, the Marvel TV rights had been doled out all over the loving place on a show by show basis. However, once the Mouse bought Marvel, Disney declined to renew all those little contracts (which, like most TV shows are on a season to season renewal setup) and pulled all the TV rights to all of Marvel's shows back home. Right now, on TV, Disney owns everything. They could put an X-Men live action TV show on next season if they wanted to, and they could cross it over with Agents of SHIELD in the first episode.

They won't, though, because their fear is that any traffic they generate on TV would funnel people to go see Fox's X-Men or Sony's Spider-Man films. That's why they keep AoS on the air, after all, to encourage people to go see Avengers movies. It's also why you're seeing an Inhumans movie in Stage III of the MCU. They're going to use them to replace mutants as the generic "people with powers we don't want to explain." It's also why many of us are speculating that Skye, Raina, and Skye's Dad are all Inhumans, especially since the Inhumans have ties to the Kree.

I'm pretty sure the global box office of the next Avenger movie would dip by about 0.02% if Agents of SHIELD was cancelled tomorrow.
They have built up enough momentum with the quality of their movies to guarantee bank without needing a TV show to fill in the gaps.
We are 4 episodes into season 2, it is far to early to say that they "keep it on the air to do some other thing" as opposed to "keep it on the air as they think they have something cool, but as they have infinite money they are not under the insane normal pressure most US shows are to hit the ground running after 4 episodes or be shitcanned"

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 30, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

I'm pretty sure the global box office of the next Avenger movie would dip by about 0.02% if Agents of SHIELD was cancelled tomorrow.
They have built up enough momentum with the quality of their movies to guarantee bank without needing a TV show to fill in the gaps.
We are 4 episodes into season 2, it is far to early to say that they "keep it on the air to do some other thing" as opposed to "keep it on the air as they think they have something cool, but as they have infinite money they are not under the insane normal pressure most US shows are to hit the ground running after 4 episodes or be shitcanned"

Also, Robert Downey Jr. said in his reddit AMA that he thinks the show is doing really well and he wants to be on it (with no prompting, so I don't think it was a 'I have to respond positively for image sake' kind of thing). So I'm assuming he's giving a bit of a peek into Marvel's perspective?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Mr Beens posted:

Kiiind of. But a big part of advertising is getting little, constant reminders out to keep the topic on peoples minds.

See - Coca Cola. Everyone knows it. Loads of people drink it. They remind you about it frequently on the TV anyway. AoS helos keep social media talking about marvel, ultimately, which is important. It's gonna stick around.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Wolpertinger posted:

I've been thinking about giving this another try, but don't know if I can stand a whole season as bad as the first 2-3 episodes - what's this cherry picked list of episodes?

1, 10-11, 14+ (13 is good, but 14 sets up the rest of the season) is the list I gave Zaggitz.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wolpertinger posted:

My recommendation is

quote:

In terms of Episodes to watch.

1: Introductions to characters.

5: Introduction to recurring villian/antagonist.

7. Introduction to Inner workings of SHIELD, and two important characters for later.

10: Info about how Coulson survived the Avengers movie.

11: More info about Coulson.

14: Continues the Coulson story, and introduces character who becomes reaaaaal important for the rest of the season.

16 - 22: Watch all these

15 is a pretty solid episode, but isn't necessary for the story. Just some ward nuggets.

These episodes should just about give you all of the story beats that you need.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

I will say one of my favorite moments was at the end with Simmons telling Ward, "If I ever see you again, I'll kill you. :stare:"

It wasn't just that to make the moment. What really made the moment was that Ward looked at Skye. Simmons stepped in front of her to block his view, as if protecting her/denying him the pleasure of looking at her and then uttered those words. It was great.

Slashrat posted:

I really doubt Coulson would be in on any plan that involved Ward killing the random US law enforcement officers who happened to be guarding him.

Just because he fired a gun in a van with cops doesn't mean he shot anyone guys! (yea I went there)

Bruceski posted:

He fired the bullet back in time to kill the dog.

gently caress, beaten.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So May is on Hawkeye's level for fighting? Interesting. Basing this off the fact that they said the assassin almost killed Clint.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

TLG James posted:

So May is on Hawkeye's level for fighting? Interesting. Basing this off the fact that they said the assassin almost killed Clint.

Hawkeye is still just a man, he can still be ambushed and shot fairly easily really (how he survived the comics for so long I have no idea).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They said in the pilot Ward and May are on the same combat level as Barton and Romanov. Except I assume Barton's better at bows than everyone else and Romanov is better at guns than everyone else. Ward's expertise seems to be CQC and May's seems to be improvised weapons.

I love how whenever someone pulls a weapon on May it just makes her smirk, knowing she's about to disarm them for a sweet weapon.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TLG James posted:

May and Ward are supposed to be second only to Hawkeye and Black Widow. It took them a while to get there but after May's recent fight scenes and Ward's Hydra reveal I'd say that's a fair assessment.

I want a May cameo in Avengers 2 just so she can kick butt with Natasha :swoon:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hawkeye and Black Widow are very much still a step above May and Ward.

Like Natasha just completely fucks around with mooks that May and Ward actually have to take seriously.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that the idea that Coulson is working with Ward or intended for him to escape is completely insane.

Maybe Coulson and Ward were having sex.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They compared May to Widow in an earlier episode.

Hawkeye should be below both of them. Hawkeye sucks. Especially MCU Hawkeye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

You should respect the boomerang arrow!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Respect the 256 mb USB arrow!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's one thing that comes up a lot actually. People who think that comic makes Hawkeye cool (not that I'm saying you two do.)

It's explicitly about how much Hawkeye sucks.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aphrodite posted:

I will loving cut you. :tizzy:

Hawkeye is the most misunderstood hero in all of comic-dom

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Aphrodite posted:

Hawkeye should be below both of them.
That sounds like a wonderful place to be.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Now I want well brother to show up and be completely normal and well adjusted.

"I only have one brother"

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

In case anyone in Canada, or other parts of the world, still haven't seen it, this is the Age Of Ultron teaser that was shown near the end of last night's episode.

That's a great scene. I assume that's literally the only time Thor has ever seen Mjolnir be moved even the slightest by anyone other than his father and himself.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

greatn posted:

I love how whenever someone pulls a weapon on May it just makes her smirk, knowing she's about to disarm them for a sweet weapon.

Dunno, I think Bobbi could take May with those stick things and her 20 years of youth.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Scapegoat posted:

Hawkeye is still just a man, he can still be ambushed and shot fairly easily really (how he survived the comics for so long I have no idea).

He died a couple of times over the decades. Last resurrection was House of M if I'm not mistaken.

greatn posted:

Except I assume Barton's better at bows than everyone else and Romanov is better at guns than everyone else.

Clint is probably also better at boats.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was also recently ambushed and (re)deafened.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So after reflecting about some of last season's episodes, it occurred to me that now that Ward's loose he might decide to go after Quinn for shooting Skye. And if he made his move at a critical time during one of Quinn's Gravitonium experiments? Well, that could have all kinds of interesting side effects, ya know?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's me. I'm the Hawkeye fan and have been since his first appearance in the silly comic books. But I've always been a fan of the non-powered heroes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hawkeye was pretty cool in the Avengers movie. A lot of people write him off because he was a mind-controlled lackey for Loki for most of it, but he was Loki's main muscle and played a major part in wrecking SHIELD's poo poo to get Loki's plan into motion. Then he kicked a bunch of alien rear end and blew an arrow up in Loki's face. Dude was no slouch.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

I'm pretty certain Coulson intended for him to escape, otherwise they would have secured him with more than just standard handcuffs.

Yeah. "SHIELD has invisible planes but no shackles or straightjackets" would be pretty dumb, so this is a set up.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

That sounds like a wonderful place to be.

Well played :golfclap:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Potooweet posted:

Yeah. "SHIELD has invisible planes but no shackles or straightjackets" would be pretty dumb, so this is a set up.

If the "setup" includes Ward shooting FBI guys in the head? It's a bad setup. Given that we see Ward cap some poor Fed, it seems pretty out of character for Coulson to let innocents get killed just for the sake of getting Ward loose when there were other options that didn't involve murder.

Ergo, I don't think it was a setup.

e: Also, and I know this is something that happens a lot in TV and film, but it bugs me that when Coulson's going over Ward's crimes, he doesn't bother to mention that Ward capped way more than just Hand and Koenig. We saw him kill at least four other SHIELD guys on screen, and who knows how many others off screen during the Fridge raid! Those guys should count too!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 30, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hawkeye is great because he's in a team with a man in iron armour, a man who is the physical peak possible for humans to attain, a Norse god and the Hulk and he manages to hang with them by just being a dude with a bow and arrows. The character was severely underused in Avengers and I'm hoping they'll get into the Cap/Hawkeye bromance in the sequel cause that's such a great relationship.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jng2058 posted:

If the "setup" includes Ward shooting FBI guys in the head? It's a bad setup. Given that we see Ward cap some poor Fed, it seems pretty out of character for Coulson to let innocents get killed just for the sake of getting Ward loose when there were other options that didn't involve murder.

Ergo, I don't think it was a setup.

Especially when earlier he mentions him killing innocents as reasons why he would never be part of the team,.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

We're gonna find out that WellBro is really a good guy. Instead of letting all the poo poo Christian and Grant did to him sour him, he used it to make him a better person. Shortly after Grant was taken in by Garret, WellBro left his crazy-rear end, evil family, and changed his name to Clint Barton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Especially when earlier he mentions him killing innocents as reasons why he would never be part of the team,.

Maybe Coulson made sure the agents transporting him were equipped with icers.

• Locked thread