Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it's gotta be real hard to be an experienced morrowind player and troubleshoot openmw because if something fucks up you accept it naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Buck Turgidson posted:

Anyone using OpenMW? The devs posted a bug which is pretty funny:

Guess its a good thing that script bugged out in the original game or MW would have got pretty weird at the end of the main story
So are they just going to duplicate all the bugs that make Morrowind a loving chore to mod for in the first place, or what? Why not just supply a patch that fixes the broken scripts instead?

Because what's the point, then, if everything is broken in the same way? If I wanted an executable with heaps of obscure poo poo wrong with it, one of those has been available for 12 years and can be downloaded from Steam.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Kilroy posted:

So are they just going to duplicate all the bugs that make Morrowind a loving chore to mod for in the first place, or what? Why not just supply a patch that fixes the broken scripts instead?

Because what's the point, then, if everything is broken in the same way? If I wanted an executable with heaps of obscure poo poo wrong with it, one of those has been available for 12 years and can be downloaded from Steam.

They're fixing the bugs otherwise it'd be a lot of redundant work when they later on go in and change poo poo up anyway.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Upmarket Mango posted:

They're fixing the bugs otherwise it'd be a lot of redundant work when they later on go in and change poo poo up anyway.
No, they duplicated the bug so that the script didn't work, rather than just fixing the script (or just removing it, in this case, from the sound of it).

I can see the logic in trying to get a base executable that mimics MW, warts and all, for an initial release. It seems like they're making extra work though, if the plan is to eventually fix the bugs they spent time reintroducing in the first place. I guess they have a master plan though - they're smart enough to make OpenMW in the first place, after all.

Dec 26, 2012

Kilroy posted:

No, they duplicated the bug so that the script didn't work, rather than just fixing the script (or just removing it, in this case, from the sound of it).

I can see the logic in trying to get a base executable that mimics MW, warts and all, for an initial release. It seems like they're making extra work though, if the plan is to eventually fix the bugs they spent time reintroducing in the first place. I guess they have a master plan though - they're smart enough to make OpenMW in the first place, after all.

quote:

Ironically, the effects of the bug needed to be replicated to make the game function as intended.

this doesnt mean "we recreated the bug" it means "we recreated the end result of the bug" ie not killing dagoth ur before you run into him

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah you're right they probably just check if that particular script is running and then break whatever they need to break, I'm gay.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
actually if you're trying to recreate the engine, its much safer to literally recreate all the bugged poo poo in it because you don't know what stuff relies on it, rather than trying to bugfix in your base release
im a progarmmer sometimes fixing a bug is just the wrong thing to do

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

actually if you're trying to recreate the engine, its much safer to literally recreate all the bugged poo poo in it because you don't know what stuff relies on it, rather than trying to bugfix in your base release
im a progarmmer sometimes fixing a bug is just the wrong thing to do

Isn't most everything going to have to be rewritten for OpenMW anyway?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

anything that hooked into the engine in some way like the script extender/graphics extender will have to be rewritten I expect, but it sounds like it was the interaction between the dagoth script and the engine that caused the bug. presumably they're implementing all the scripting commands that existed in the original engine, and with the whole modding community out there, undoubtedly someone has done a hacky script that relies on exploiting bugs like that to work.

i do not like the idea of mixing bug fixes in with baseline code, except, say, morrowind code patch fixes which are already extensively used, but i don't contribute to it and they seem to have a different opinion on that, so whatever

e: I should point out that it sounds like they did reintroduce the 'bug' in order to fix the dagoth problem, and it only happened because they're not operating with full knowledge of the original code and so never implemented the bug in their version in the first place. In general though their page says they have freedom in whether they fix bugs or diverge from original functionality in some cases.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

skyrimmods.co.da

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGfx9wPX664

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

hehahehahee

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't think mine's as good because I can't draw/was high as gently caress/used MS Paint when I made it, so I hope whoever makes the next page doesn't suck as much and is sober and has access to some kind of computer drawing tablet.

Actually, this is good, and made me laugh. i will do page 4, since you technically had to do pages 2 and 3 in this image.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DuXO189eCA

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

uses lovely mod-voiced Dagoth Ur, otherwise accurate 4/5

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Normal voice Dagoth Ur is good because he is so friendly. Even when he chides you for thinking you could kill him, he keeps a very conversational tone because you're the reincarnation of his buddy, even if he is trying to murder you so he can get the Tools of Kagrenac, and that kind of shows how loving nuts he is. Giving him a grimdark deep voice is loving stupid and I dunno why people like that mod.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The mod is extremely bad. Didn't the unofficial patch add it in at one point or something.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Average Bear posted:

The mod is extremely bad. Didn't the unofficial patch add it in at one point or something.

It was either that or MGO. Either way I still don't get it. I mean, the original VA wasn't the best of voice actors, but replacing him with some dumb nerd with a voice modulator is the opposite of improvement.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
One of the craziest moments I had in that game was stumbling across Dagoth Ur and suddenly he's talking. For a game with no voice acting, that was some really good voice acting.

Honestly if you didn't find the Dag before the main quest, idk if you played Morrowind right.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Honestly if you didn't find the Dag before the main quest, idk if you played Morrowind right.

:hfive:

p. much, everyone surely must have a moment where they're like, "i wonder what's at the center of that big mountain/crater looking thing on the map"

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I remember assuming that the game wouldn't let you enter Red Mountain until the end of the game, and then having my mind blown when I found out you could stroll through the Ghostgate and get wrecked by Ash Vampires.

If this game were made today you'd get up to the final quest and Red Mountain would be a tiny instanced area that Vivec teleports you to in order to fight Dagoth Ur.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mod idea:

Total conversion of skyrim.

All enemies are witches.

All nords are naked.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Which one of you is CHIM Shady?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

Mod idea:

Total conversion of skyrim.

All enemies are witches.

All nords are naked.

Were already halfway there.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well, I don't know how but between now and the last time I played I've hosed my game. Everything's all dark and lovely and after spending an hour working on fixing it, I'm just going to reinstall. Gonna get lit and install tea mods and mudcrap summoning spells.

edit: heehee mudcrap

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 31, 2014

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Who will volunteer to illustrate Page 5 of C0DA

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

muthsera

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TresTristesTigres posted:

Who will volunteer to illustrate Page 5 of C0DA

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

SunAndSpring posted:

Normal voice Dagoth Ur is good because he is so friendly. Even when he chides you for thinking you could kill him, he keeps a very conversational tone because you're the reincarnation of his buddy, even if he is trying to murder you so he can get the Tools of Kagrenac, and that kind of shows how loving nuts he is. Giving him a grimdark deep voice is loving stupid and I dunno why people like that mod.

Even if you read the dialogue or script it is obvious that he's actually a pretty decent guy for a villian. He honestly regrets that you two will have to fight and has respect for you. He's not exactly trying to murder you to get the Tools. He's very open about that as well as the fact that he can't just ask you for them because you could never trust each other. Is he nuts? Yeah, but more in the way he's fighting for the freedom of the Dunmer using hosed up cultists, plauged minions and a giant robot powered by the heart of a god.

Anyway point is, I agree that grimdark voice is dumb as gently caress

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think grimdark dagoth ur suits that video pretty well but yeah i have no idea why people thought that mod ever needed to exist in the first place, dagoth being a polite conversational orator fits the game perfectly

Dec 26, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bukkits posted:

Even if you read the dialogue or script it is obvious that he's actually a pretty decent guy for a villian. He honestly regrets that you two will have to fight and has respect for you. He's not exactly trying to murder you to get the Tools. He's very open about that as well as the fact that he can't just ask you for them because you could never trust each other. Is he nuts? Yeah, but more in the way he's fighting for the freedom of the Dunmer using hosed up cultists, plauged minions and a giant robot powered by the heart of a god.

Anyway point is, I agree that grimdark voice is dumb as gently caress

Dagoth Ur is just a good villain overall. Playing through the Skyrim Civil War quests again I was just reminded of how poor a villain Ulfric is compared to him (and Alduin is just non-existent as a character in the main quest). They're both megalomaniacal bastards with super-human powers who want to murder/drive out the Empire from their land, but Ulfric is just Nord-Hitler whereas Dagoth Ur is a chill dude you could have a beer flin with before you punch him in the face and blow up his robot (and eventually Morrowind). He also actually loving reacts if you decide to visit him before you're meant to murder him, while Ulfric lets you waltz into the Palace of the Kings and chat to him as if nothing had changed, even if your very next quest will be to siege Windhelm.

Alduin being even worse, of course, because

Buck Turgidson posted:

If this game were made today you'd get up to the final quest and Red Mountain would be a tiny instanced area that Vivec teleports you to in order to fight Dagoth Ur.

Oh and dark elves with tubas for faces are much better minions any day than Ye Olde Fantasye Nazis.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

wandering around red mountain at like level 15 for the first time with my draw distance set to nothing because the ash storms lagged me so bad might have been the best. found keening and found sunder and just about poo poo myself over all them status effects, found both of the books in the other citadels and some how managed to kill a few ash vampires while not knowing what the gently caress.

then i wander into dagoth ur, collect some sweet loot and see the devil himself dancing around and blowing blight out of his palm. whoa

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i think the thing i legit loved about morrowind the most was being an outlander pauper poo poo head getting slaughtered by cliff racers with scrub rear end armor. then level 10 rolls around, i'm not missing every single attack, have a few cool enchanted items and progressing some guilds while exploring some giant cool as gently caress tombs. few more levels later and i'm rocking ebony armor and chrysamere and i realize i am now on my way to being an unstoppable god flying around with levitate and boots of blinding speed. then i pick vivec's lock and murder him

what a game

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The Thalmor are in Skyrim as guests of the Empire, and their crimes are far worse than anything Ulfric has ever done, which includes apparently giving refugees room and board, putting traitors in Markarth to death, and not telling Galmar's idiot brother to shut the gently caress up. Truly a monster.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Kilroy posted:

The Thalmor are in Skyrim as guests of the Empire, and their crimes are far worse than anything Ulfric has ever done, which includes apparently giving refugees room and board, putting traitors in Markarth to death, and not telling Galmar's idiot brother to shut the gently caress up. Truly a monster.

The one thing I did like about Skyrim was that they gave you two Nazi factions, so whether you sided with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks you could have the satisfaction of killing Nazis.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The one thing I did like about Skyrim was that they gave you two Nazi factions, so whether you sided with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks you could have the satisfaction of killing Nazis.

Unfortunately they set it up so that siding with the Nords is an objectively bad choice. Freeing Skyrim is super destabilizing to the empire, which means that the Aldmeri Dominion can more quickly take things over, eventually reenslaving Skyrim anyway. Siding with the empire at least creates a chance that they can regroup and fight off the high elves.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

i wish i was bored enough to write a proper marxist analysis of what morrowind, ob and skyrim say about imperialism and colonialism
but
ehhhh

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

i wish i was bored enough to write a proper marxist analysis of what morrowind, ob and skyrim say about imperialism and colonialism
but
ehhhh

imperials bad dunmer mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Let's have a 100+ page discussion on whether the stormcloaks or empire are worse like in the skyrim subforum or a 1 page discussion on which Elder Scrolls game is the best.

It's morrowind because I find it really obtuse but thinking back on Oblivion and Skyrim they actively pissed me off with their shittiness so I think Morrowind wins.

• Locked thread