Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's ok, but it's no Rune Factory 4, the Cowboy Bebop of video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Terper posted:

It's ok, but it's no Rune Factory 4, the Cowboy Bebop of video games

"Bang."

-A Dragon, Episode 4 of Rune Factory

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That dragon at the beginning of the game is coming onto me. :ohdear:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

"Bang."

-A Dragon, Episode 4 of Rune Factory

HELLO.
SO TINY.
SO TINY.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
You're gonna carry that weight (to the giant turnip festival). See you space farmboy.

Edit: Jesus Christ I am so sorry.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
(crossposted from the vita thread)

Anyone have opinions on the best Harvest Moon game for Vita? Options are
(PS1) Harvest Moon: Back to Nature,
(PSP) Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley,
(PSP) Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl, and
(PSP) Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon.

I know some Harvest Moon games have some light dungeon/combat elements but I've got no preference either for or against that. Monster fights would be cool but I'm also totally into a pure farming game, so either way works.

I think I remember Back to Nature on PS1 being good, but the sci-fi one sounds interesting too and I just have no idea at all about the other two PSP games. If anyone's got any insight I'd love to hear it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Corridor posted:

wtf, fantasy life is out in stores now

gonna get it, but I also want a ton of other poo poo like the evil within, choices...

How'd this game wind up being, btw?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Blhue posted:

it's good, i made a lot of nerdy posts about it in the thread, and also in animal crossing thread

vkeios
May 7, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Well Boy & Girl is BTN, so yeah thats the best choice. Though I might have some bias, because BtN was the first harvest moon that I absolutely fell in love with.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

XboxPants posted:

(crossposted from the vita thread)

(PS1) Harvest Moon: Back to Nature,
(PSP) Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley,
(PSP) Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl, and
(PSP) Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon.

I know some Harvest Moon games have some light dungeon/combat elements but I've got no preference either for or against that. Monster fights would be cool but I'm also totally into a pure farming game, so either way works.

I think I remember Back to Nature on PS1 being good, but the sci-fi one sounds interesting too and I just have no idea at all about the other two PSP games. If anyone's got any insight I'd love to hear it.

Hero of Leaf Valley is an expanded version of Save the Homeland I believe. Has a lot of loading screens though, since every area has its own loading screen. They're fast loads though, it can get annoying. I didn't play enough of it to really get a good opinion on it, so it probably had a slow start-up.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

so what is the word on lost valley? i'm on an extremely tight budget and i cant afford another hometown story blunder.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Flynn Taggart posted:

so what is the word on lost valley? i'm on an extremely tight budget and i cant afford another hometown story blunder.

Its not out until November 4th, so we dunno yet.

Edit: Went to gamestop's website to check that, and decided to check on Story of Seasons while I did so, looks like we have a real release date for that now. 02/10/2015.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blhue posted:

It's like Rune Factory 4 without the stupid event system.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

gmq posted:

It's like Rune Factory 4 without the stupid event system.

Also without the farming. I see where you're coming from though, the game is kinda like if you took the farming out of rune factory and instead funneled the effort into making everything else more fun and engaging.

It is really good. Everyone should get it. Every facial feature and hairstyle is available for every gender and I am playing as the foppiest man in existance.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Flynn Taggart posted:

No-one knows and we probably won't know until sometime after release.

Is Natsume even sending out review codes? Someone must have played it by now, surely.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Hi Harvest Moon goons

I just started playing Rune Factory 4 recently because apparently it's the be all end all 3DS experience currently AAAAHH

I'm enjoying myself so far, and in my usual Harvest Moon neuroticism I rushed to upgrade my tools right away. Is it true that this time if I want a better tool I simply have to build a new tool with better materials?

I can't upgrade an existing tool with raw ores like any other Harvest Moon? I'm not exactly interested in raising my cracked watering can's strength stat..

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Poulpe posted:

Hi Harvest Moon goons

I just started playing Rune Factory 4 recently because apparently it's the be all end all 3DS experience currently AAAAHH

I'm enjoying myself so far, and in my usual Harvest Moon neuroticism I rushed to upgrade my tools right away. Is it true that this time if I want a better tool I simply have to build a new tool with better materials?

I can't upgrade an existing tool with raw ores like any other Harvest Moon? I'm not exactly interested in raising my cracked watering can's strength stat..

Basically, what you need to do is go buy farming recipe bread from Porcoline. This will give you recipes for better farming tools (as in they can hit a wider area and hold more water and etc). They generally require better raw ores as you get higher up.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No-one knows and we probably won't know until sometime after release.

Is Natsume even sending out review codes? Someone must have played it by now, surely.

Their Tumblr page indicates they are shipping out the limited edition now, so my guess is at least someone who is a series fan will have it before the weekend.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

Basically, what you need to do is go buy farming recipe bread from Porcoline. This will give you recipes for better farming tools (as in they can hit a wider area and hold more water and etc). They generally require better raw ores as you get higher up.

Right yeah, I just found it incredibly peculiar that I have to build new ones outright. What are the old ones even good for anymore? Shipping? :confused:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And being base items for upgrade purposes, so you can grind out your smithing skill later on.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Poulpe posted:

Right yeah, I just found it incredibly peculiar that I have to build new ones outright. What are the old ones even good for anymore? Shipping? :confused:

Each tier uses the tool from the previous tier to make. Like a lot of the other games, one you get your silver watering can you don't have a copper watering can in your inventory. You can still make the older versions but there's no real reason to do so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Flynn Taggart posted:

If your budget is at a point where you can't afford a 3DS game being disappointing I'd say just save your money for Story of Seasons which we know is pretty solid. I mean, Lost Valley looks neat, I'm pretty into it, but it's Natsume's first solo HM project so it'll probably need some polish but, given their vast experience as publishers and all, I imagine they know what makes a good HM game. Wait till the game is out proper but I myself am expecting it to be a 3.5 situation.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Has anyone given "Farm for you Life" a try? It's billed as Harvest Moon + Tower Defense on the PC.

For Rune Factory: I just discovered that if you have monsters water a field you've planted grass in, they'll harvest it and put it in the feed bin for you. This saves me literally hours spent putting hundreds of fodder into the feed bin by hand every time Raven has it for sale. It's a really nice feature.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Apparently it's more of a casual sort of game that tries to combine all those successful genres into one (PLUS ZOMBIES), but it doesn't have the content to prop it up for any one of them past several hours.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Any buzz on possible Lost Valley reviews tomorrow or are we waiting till launch?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Any buzz on possible Lost Valley reviews tomorrow or are we waiting till launch?

All I have seen is one picture of it out in a Target store and one guy on twitter saying he's going to get his in the mail today. Nothing official though.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Dehry posted:

All I have seen is one picture of it out in a Target store and one guy on twitter saying he's going to get his in the mail today. Nothing official though.

Yeah my Target had it out this weekend and I tried to impulse buy it even though I told myself I would wait for reviews. But it wouldn't ring up at the register so the girl took them off the shelf. I guess it wasn't just my store's employees that messed up.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
So I beat the first story Arc in Rune Factory 4, only took me until about Summer 4 or so to do it. Figured I would spend my free time upgrading farm space and making use of the "wild" farms.

And then a hurricane hit and destroyed 90% of my everything. :psyduck:
Is there anything I can do about this aside from "race everywhere with an armful of typhoon-be-gone and hope you don't lose much"?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Poulpe posted:

So I beat the first story Arc in Rune Factory 4, only took me until about Summer 4 or so to do it. Figured I would spend my free time upgrading farm space and making use of the "wild" farms.

Is there anything I can do about this aside from "race everywhere with an armful of typhoon-be-gone and hope you don't lose much"?

Eventually you get to command typhoons to gently caress right off through the orders screen, but I forget how long it takes to unlock that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
One of your mayor abilities is to make typhoons go away. Course, there's one specific monster that only shows up in typhoon who drops an ingredient, so there'll be a time you might end up having to summon a typhoon yourself, which is also an ability.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Make your fields capped at 255 HP in advance by hoeing corn, four leaf clovers, and/or dead weeds into each plot. Still won't prevent all loss but it will not wipe everything out. There's also the Prince[ss] Order's eventually that can prevent an potential hurricane from occurring the next day. The best way of checking when that's happening is if the option to call in a hurricane is missing in your Order's list.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You haven't really experienced Harvest Moon until a hurricane destroys everything you've worked for

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Make your fields capped at 255 HP in advance by hoeing corn, four leaf clovers, and/or dead weeds into each plot.

So much effort though! That and I haven't got a reliable source of any of these aside from growing corn which is lost cash.

Looper posted:

You haven't really experienced Harvest Moon until a hurricane destroys everything you've worked for

Seriously I only made it out with like 20-30% of the crops intact.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
While I'm here, Is it possible to grow four different trees all on the same 4-tile plot?

I planted two orange trees, an apple tree and a grape tree on a 4x4 plot and the orange trees grew fine on two corners, but the other two seem to be trapped at the "almost a tree but not yet" stage.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Poulpe posted:

While I'm here, Is it possible to grow four different trees all on the same 4-tile plot?

I planted two orange trees, an apple tree and a grape tree on a 4x4 plot and the orange trees grew fine on two corners, but the other two seem to be trapped at the "almost a tree but not yet" stage.

Trees grow at different rates. You can grow different trees, but given how much better it is to have a Giant Tree, why would you?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Patware posted:

Trees grow at different rates. You can grow different trees, but given how much better it is to have a Giant Tree, why would you?

First time through the game and I didn't want to spoil it with guides v:v:v

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Poulpe posted:

Keep in mind that if you are regularly talking to Porcoline, Margaret, and I think Dylas, they should warn you of Typhoons a few days beforehand, so you should have enough time to spread Wettable Powder.

Poulpe posted:

First, Orange trees grow two or three times faster than the other fruit trees do, so they may just need more time. But also make sure to regularly check your soil with the magnifying glass and keep an eye on your Growth/HP/Quality and such. When in doubt, throw some Formula on it and rake in a clover.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Keep in mind that if you are regularly talking to Porcoline, Margaret, and I think Dylas, they should warn you of Typhoons a few days beforehand, so you should have enough time to spread Wettable Powder.

If you're not talking to Porco every day, then something is clearly already horribly wrong. :colbert:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Keep in mind that if you are regularly talking to Porcoline, Margaret, and I think Dylas, they should warn you of Typhoons a few days beforehand, so you should have enough time to spread Wettable Powder

Honestly I make a note to talk to everyone every day but their speech blends together so much I have a bad habit of ignoring them outright sometimes. My bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Looper posted:

• Locked thread