Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I don't like the guy who won the tcg 50k. Pretty much every interaction ive had with him was quite negative.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its crazy how many people were in denial about this even though the evidence was incredibly damning. Good on wizards for keeping up integrity.

I'm actually a fan of the delay even if they had processed the video evidence a week ago. I mean, yes, people that dq'ed are actively making the game worse for everyone fair player, but I mean I honestly feel like stuff like http://isjaredboettcherbannedyet.com/ is getting excessive.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

sarmhan posted:

Yea, it was pretty clear from the sheer volume of videos showing his shady shuffling- one wouldn't have been enough but it became obvious that he was doing this constantly, even on-camera. Do the organizers of the tournaments he won have any recourse to retrieve the money he won fraudulently?

Maybe? I mean they can file civil suit but are these videos strong enough evidence for a court of law? That may be a little iffier. Also there is the matter of recovering even if you win. Say SCG gets a judgement against him for 10k or 15k whatever, does he have this money in the bank? Did he spend it on college tuition, a car, a home, bills, magic cards? It isn't easy to get money out of people if they don't just have the cash laying around in the bank.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

#guildgate

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

sarmhan posted:

Yea, it was pretty clear from the sheer volume of videos showing his shady shuffling- one wouldn't have been enough but it became obvious that he was doing this constantly, even on-camera. Do the organizers of the tournaments he won have any recourse to retrieve the money he won fraudulently?

Probably not easily and that's probably why the bans are so long - there's a lot more money involved in magic grinding nowadays than there was a few yearsa go.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

vOv posted:

#guildgate

Holy poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Snacksmaniac posted:

Holy poo poo.

I love this thread so loving much.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zoness posted:

I'm actually a fan of the delay even if they had processed the video evidence a week ago. I mean, yes, people that dq'ed are actively making the game worse for everyone fair player, but I mean I honestly feel like stuff like http://isjaredboettcherbannedyet.com/ is getting excessive.

The evolution of disgust over cheaters across the past month is fascinating to watch. It's not wholly based on who is doing the cheating, but how tired the Magic community at large is with cheaters. The allegations against Jared felt like a witch-hunt because of things like isjaredboettcherbannedyet.com. I think posting the videos publicly does force Wizards' hand on investigating things faster, but poo poo like that website and the practical cyber-bullying makes the Magic community look bad. I'm worried someone is going to get this kind of attack against them and what would happen if that person was cleared by the DCI. It'd be practically as bad as if they were found guilty and suspended, because they'd be ostracized by the Magic community forever.

It's not too farfetched. At least once a month, someone comes to me accusing someone of cheating because they have a better than average draft deck.

vOv posted:

#guildgate

:aaaaa: Rating my own thread 5 because of you two, not me.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Half of it was presented like someone really stretching due to a personal vendetta, so no it's not that crazy considering if those people only saw this half.

But the other half was pretty legit. I wonder if the banning would have been for less time had they caught it themselves and the previous bannings hadn't just happened.

The community was quick to jump on the other guy because he looked like a smug bastard, but no one wanted to admit their nerdy hero was a cheater. I saw people outright denying the video that clearly showed him peeking a wasteland and sliding it to the top.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

vOv posted:

#guildgate

:pusheen: G-d drat where was this 2 years ago

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Remember, this was supposed to simplify things by making combat damage not use the stack anymore! :suicide:

One, that was not the point of removing combat damage from the stack. The reason was to add strategic choice.

Two, you guys are crazy overcomplicating things.

He attacks
Do stuff
You block AND he decides which blocker will be damaged first. Together. This is usually him saying "I'll kill that one" if you are double blocking up
Do stuff (pump)
Apply the damage. Once 'lethal' has been done to the first you can start putting leftover damage on the next and so on.

That's it!

The real complexity is what constitutes lethal when there is protection and prevention effects and banding andshit floating around.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Interesting that the next Rookie gets the invite, since they'd initially said it would become an at large one. Looks like there was enough of a fuss kicked up to change their minds.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Morph makes this fun too. I had an opponent scoop after I attacked with a morph and a Sagu Archer, he blocked both with an Unyielding Krumar (Brave the Sands), gave it first strike then ordered damage Morph -> Archer. I flipped the morph into Sidisi's Pet :cool:

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Interesting that the next Rookie gets the invite, since they'd initially said it would become an at large one. Looks like there was enough of a fuss kicked up to change their minds.

Everyone Jared cheated had cause to complain, but I think the feeling is this guy had more cause to complain than most because he had a pretty big deal important title directly stolen by Jared's actions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Sheesh, errybody be cheating nowaydays.

Boetcher was getting all these accolades for an unprecedented run of success. Combine that with Humphries "amazing" showing at the open where he won both the standard open and modern premier, does this mean we have ought to be suspicious of anyone that does extraordinarily well? Has there ever been a "legit" crazy good run of success?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Not emptyquoting because I want to say it gave me a good chuckle.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Tom Ross?

deftest
May 7, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Boetcher was getting all these accolades for an unprecedented run of success. Combine that with Humphries "amazing" showing at the open where he won both the standard open and modern premier, does this mean we have ought to be suspicious of anyone that does extraordinarily well? Has there ever been a "legit" crazy good run of success?

Didn't Owen T win back-to-back GPs once?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I think LSV won a pro tour and then was in the finals of the next one once.

And this is why merit-based investigations are dumb.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There was also Kai's run in 99-2000.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

You should. I think the statistic thrown around is the pro players win 60-65% of their matches. Given an average GP/PT/SCG open of 10 rounds day one, consistently making day 2/top 8 more than 2/3's of the time is cause for suspicion. It doesn't mean cheating, luck is luck, but it probably should put you into a review status. Also why bye's are super valuable. Skipping 1/3 of day 1 matches at a GP is a big deal.

Elyv posted:

There was also Kai's run in 99-2000.

Lets go review the tape ref. It isn't a witch hunt if we find witches!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Can we get a power ranking of cheats by their likeliness to win you a game? Maybe put it on a grid with likeliness to get you caught?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Can we get a power ranking of cheats by their likeliness to win you a game? Maybe put it on a grid with likeliness to get you caught?

My left hook is very powerful. It has won me several bouts of wizard battle.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
July of 2014 was my one year anniversary in playing Magic so I was bored last night. I really enjoy watching TCG and SCG events on stream so I wanted to see if on Youtube if I could find old World Championships or other events from 2012, 2011, 2010 and so on and it was like I found a treasure trove.

I was watching the final I think of 2012 where the finals were two guys, one was playing RG Titans where he would just ramp into his deck of 4 Inferno and 4 Primeval and basically won 3 matches easily to take the title. I think he called the deck "Wolf Run Ramp". I found some 2008/2009 videos but the quality is so god awful and pixelated it's hard to follow

Is all this old stream stuff archived anywhere for easy viewing?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

In both Legacy and Standard, too, IIRC.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Well done :golfclap: holy poo poo lol

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Combine that with Humphries "amazing" showing at the open where he won both the standard open and modern premier, does this mean we have ought to be suspicious of anyone that does extraordinarily well?

A friend and I were talking about this last weekend. With two pretty high-profile players getting caught doing basically the exact same cheat, it makes one wonder how widespread it is. Someone else brought it up a few posts above, but it would be interesting to see if there are any players that are Top 16'ing tournament after tournament. That exceeds the 60-65% win rate of matches you would expect from the very best players. This is purely anecdotal, but you pretty often at the open series see guys that show up often enough (Reid Duke, BBD, Todd Anderson) scrub out pretty often. I'd be interested to see the final finishes of the guys that grind that series but aren't really good enough to hack it on the pro circuit.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AgentSythe posted:

A friend and I were talking about this last weekend. With two pretty high-profile players getting caught doing basically the exact same cheat, it makes one wonder how widespread it is. Someone else brought it up a few posts above, but it would be interesting to see if there are any players that are Top 16'ing tournament after tournament. That exceeds the 60-65% win rate of matches you would expect from the very best players. This is purely anecdotal, but you pretty often at the open series see guys that show up often enough (Reid Duke, BBD, Todd Anderson) scrub out pretty often. I'd be interested to see the final finishes of the guys that grind that series but aren't really good enough to hack it on the pro circuit.

Trevor Humphries was high profile?

I wouldn't have heard of him if it weren't for the accusations in the first place.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I, like you, am insufferably autistic. A side effect of this condition is that I watch a lot of Opens on stream. He's been a pretty regular fixture on that circuit for a while. That's why there was a fair amount of video evidence people could just go back and find.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

Any scrub can pull the same cheat that Humphries did with a good day or two of practice. I would be shocked if it isn't fairly widespread. There are lots of unscrupulous assholes who play magic and will do anything to win. Really the only way to catch them is to hope they go all Icarus on us with their cheating, and get underneath the bright feature match cameras, and melt under the heat of nerd scrutiny.

Birds of a Feather.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AgentSythe posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but you pretty often at the open series see guys that show up often enough (Reid Duke, BBD, Todd Anderson) scrub out pretty often. I'd be interested to see the final finishes of the guys that grind that series but aren't really good enough to hack it on the pro circuit.

I would be beyond amazed if Reid Duke was cheating in any capacity, not because he's a standup guy (though he certainly is), but because he rose to prominence through Magic Online, where it's a good deal harder to pull off sleight of hand :v:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I always didn't like Boettcher for some unknown reason. Glad that it was justified.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Niton posted:

I would be beyond amazed if Reid Duke was cheating in any capacity, not because he's a standup guy (though he certainly is), but because he rose to prominence through Magic Online, where it's a good deal harder to pull off sleight of hand :v:

There is quite a few people who I would be utterly shocked if they intentionally cheated ever, Reid Duke among them. They discussed this on the last Magic TV I think, but if you are at Pro Level and making a career out of magic, it is a bad idea to try and cheat, the cost of being found out is way to high. However, grinders, like Humphries or Boettcher, trying to claw their way up to that point have a lot more incentive to cheat.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Niton posted:

I agree. He, and the other ones listed, seem (disclaimer: have not actually checked his finishes) to have finishes more consistent with what a pro players win rate would be.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hey guys, it's Thursday and that arbitrarily means I'm streaming UR Modern Delver/Cruise! https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator watch me murder this assshole playing infect which can't even Treasure Cruise, what a dummy!

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 30, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Niton posted:

I dunno man. In his most recent draft video his opponent cast Ride Down on the creature blocking Zurgo Helmsmasher, Duke regenerated the creature, but then didn't take the trample damage.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

One, that was not the point of removing combat damage from the stack. The reason was to add strategic choice.
Well then they failed on that angle too because it doesn't at all. It adds layers of complexity, certain cards are better/worse than they were originally, but ultimately there's no real strategic changes; you're still gonna try to kill Guy A over Guy B in a double block situation, the only change is how you go about doing it. And the way you go about doing it is now an additional two steps with a bunch of weird edge cases where there weren't before. It's a giant loving waste that really only comes up in like 2% of games, and when it does it's fantastically annoying.

quote:

The real complexity is what constitutes lethal when there is protection and prevention effects and banding andshit floating around.
Case in point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

There is quite a few people who I would be utterly shocked if they intentionally cheated ever, Reid Duke among them. They discussed this on the last Magic TV I think, but if you are at Pro Level and making a career out of magic, it is a bad idea to try and cheat, the cost of being found out is way to high. However, grinders, like Humphries or Boettcher, trying to claw their way up to that point have a lot more incentive to cheat.

Good point. I also think someone who can write about the game like Reid Duke, LSV, Kibler etc. is in someway demonstrating their success is due to knowledge and skill.

• Locked thread