Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does Icewind Dale have that horrible bug that baldur's gate had where heal spells will not cast automatically on rest if you are playing multiplayer? That bug really ground our BG playthroughs to a halt, just so much downtime every time we needed to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

Motherfucker, I just bought Dungeons of Doom and it's already half off.

how is that?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Of all games to get Halloween content, Postal 2 can now be played with night-time mode where citizens are in costume. It's also $2.49 right now.

Also, Postal 1, which isn't on sale for some reason, has trading cards now, in case you have the game and have since stopped playing it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Sir You Are Being Hunted is 80% off, is it any good?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay seriously there are too many games for me to list, there's 51 pages of specials right now, just go diving in:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1&os=win#sort_by=_ASC&sort_order=ASC&specials=1&os=win&page=1

Every Major Sale I list the sub-$2 games, I already listed some and here are some more:

Bad Rats - $0.24
Bob Came in Pieces - $0.99
MURI - $0.39
Nimble Quest - $0.49
Tiny Bang Story - $0.49
Painkiller Overdose/Redemption - $0.49
Legendary - $0.49
Zeboyd Games - all under a buck
Dead Pixels - $0.74
They Breathe - $0.79
Home - $0.98
Scratches Directors Cut - $0.99
Dark Fall the Journal - $0.99
Dark Fall 2 - $0.99
No Time to Explain - $0.99
Afterfall Insanity :getin: - $1.24
Legacy of Kain series - $1.39 each
Lovely Planet - $1.49
Pool Nation - $1.49
Puzzle Dimension - $1.49
Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves - $1.49
Velocity Ultra - 1.49
Closure - $1.99
XCOM: Terror From the Deep - $1.99
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - $1.99
Necrovision - $1.99

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 30, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Morter posted:

Of all games to get Halloween content, Postal 2 can now be played with night-time mode where citizens are in costume. It's also $2.49 right now.

Also, Postal 1, which isn't on sale for some reason, has trading cards now, in case you have the game and have since stopped playing it.

Postal 2 keeps getting updates and it is the weirdest goddamned thing

I just assumed Running With Scissors felt so bad about what happened with Postal 3, they're doing this out of penance.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Some cool games on sale for cheap now:

They Bleed Pixels - A platformer / beat-em-up hybrid. Well, not exactly a beat-em-up; more like those sections in Mad World where you had to violently murder your enemies to gain points. You can say, dash into a guy, kick him into the air, juggle him, and finish it up by smacking him into a buzz saw. Has a lot of replay value with getting higher score, speedrunning, lots of stuff. Dev's a nice guy too.

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - AKA that other game by the Guacamelee guys. You play as a B Movie space alien who was subject to experiments and is out for revenge on the whole human race. It's sort of a 2D Katamari Damacy, in that you grow by rolling over things and eating stuff (he only actually gets bigger in certain spots, though). Like KD, you get up to absurd size at the end of the game. Not as much optional content as Guacamelee though.

Unholy Heights - A tower defense game where you play as the Devil who opened an apartment building, suckering monsters in to be tenants and defend you when adventurers come calling. It's pretty chill when not in combat, as you can check in on your tenants, renovate their apartments, and watch them get on with their lives.

Nihilumbra - An indie puzzle/platformer where you play as a small piece of a reality consuming void who wants to escape and live. The puzzles revolve around different terrain you create on surfaces using your mouse. Sort of does a Bastion thing, where you have a narrator following you around for the main game. After beating it some optional levels unlock that are balls-hard.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I grabbed System Shock 2, Capsized, RE4 and Transistor. That will probably do it for me until the winter sale.

I suppose I should finally get around to playing SS2.

Also, I gave Fallout 3 an honest crack and thought it was pretty bad. lovely combat, unmemorable characters, and bad level design. You'd be better off playing through the first two.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout 1 is great but Fallout 2 was almost unplayable garbage for me. Every single action I could feasibly take that would lead to a victory state instead crashed the game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Awesome! posted:

how is that?

Dunno, didn't really fit my definition of Halloween gaming. November's gonna be a month for RPGs I have kicking around.

On that note, has anyone play See No Evil? Everyone seems to like it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, glad i didn't buy the Evil Within season pass already! Pretty scummy to do a 50% discount before releasing a single piece of content, especially so soon after release. You're basically telling early supporters to go gently caress themselves.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Convex posted:

Wow, glad i didn't buy the Evil Within season pass already! Pretty scummy to do a 50% discount before releasing a single piece of content, especially so soon after release. You're basically telling early supporters to go gently caress themselves.

Don't buy poo poo that's not on sale :shrug:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

elminage gothic is 3.99

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Sir You Are Being Hunted is 80% off, is it any good?

Depends on your tolerance for open world survival games. I think it's thrilling at its best but can be pretty dull as you wander vast, empty landscapes. But every so often you'll get into a scenario where a large group of robots are circling your position and there's a pack of dogs heading your way and a loving balloon coming the next and all you can do is make a break for it and hope no one sees.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Don't buy poo poo that's not on sale :shrug:

Well yeah, I guess that's the message the publishers are giving out. I remember getting the Bioshock Infinite pass for like 80% off not long after release but i think that was a pricing error on Steam's part.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Alien: Isolation is on the sale page, with a whopping 0% discount. Thanks, Gaben!

Also, i find it pretty funny that Gone Home is on sale too, since i remember people getting mad that it wasn't actually a horror game even though it kinda had Slenderman vibes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Murdered Soul Suspect for 12.50
Transistor for 10
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for 5
I Am Alive for 3.75
Ghostbusters for 3
State of Decay: Lifeline for 2.50

Cleaning out my wishlist, and I was worried I'd have to play Dark Souls 2 again after I finish Shadow of Mordor.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How is the new Rise of the Triad? $3.75 is cheap, I don't see myself playing multiplayer ever, I've heard the platforming in it can be pretty bullshit....is this correct? How long did it take you all to complete it? If it's just a mediocre game I'll probably pass, I have plenty of unplayed games in my backlog (that I'll never get around to playing).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Filtering out DLC there are 35 pages of games on sale in the specials category. 25 games per page means 875 games are on sale, so yeah, not listing them all gently caress that.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Looking at my wishlist for some games I had heard of from this thread:

Lovely Planet 75% off. 1.50$
http://store.steampowered.com/app/298600
Looks worth a shot for the price

Flockers 50% off. 10$
http://store.steampowered.com/app/260330
Lemmings by the Worms guys. No idea if it's good or not, just that I had it on my watchlist after hearing about it in this thread.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

americanzero4128 posted:

How is the new Rise of the Triad? $3.75 is cheap, I don't see myself playing multiplayer ever, I've heard the platforming in it can be pretty bullshit....is this correct? How long did it take you all to complete it? If it's just a mediocre game I'll probably pass, I have plenty of unplayed games in my backlog (that I'll never get around to playing).

It was sort of fun and worth the few hours I played, but you have to remember that a bunch of lovely platforming is also a mandatory part of this game in certain areas and that will just drain the fun of it.

Still, it's not bad if you can (somehow) look past it.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

americanzero4128 posted:

I'd give it a pass, what I played of it kind of bored me to tears and I didn't find the platforming fun at all. If you want fun arcade-y shooters you might as well grab any of the Serious Sams or Painkillers or the new Shadow Warrior.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout 1 is great but Fallout 2 was almost unplayable garbage for me. Every single action I could feasibly take that would lead to a victory state instead crashed the game.

Was this running the game stock? There have been massive fan-patches and overhauls, so for anyone who cares to look around this shouldn't be an issue. For me the worst part of 2 was just that the (stock) forced tutorial bit is nearly impossible for a new player unless you take the right skills. This is one game where new players may want to look ahead on how to get past the first room, and the moment you're done there it's back to regular Fallout.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
On a negative note, cheap games to avoid.

I Am Alive
This game is aggressively mediocre. It's a third person "calamity has hit humanity, survivors are bastards" type of game that really wants to be The Road without getting it or having good gameplay. There's a climb feature like in AC, but in this game you have grip strength that ticks down, so many of the "puzzles" are basically climb the ledges in the right order before you lose your grip and fall. I put up with it for about 2 hours and after the first 30 minutes nothing else interesting happens or changes that makes me want to continue. All combat consists of "point gun at machete wielding thug, approach, club hit with a bat". They wanted a scarce ammo mechanic, so you're not ever supposed to shoot anyone unless you absolutely have to, but in practice it just makes for really, really boring encounters.

Infestation Survival Stories: This is the DayZ clone that was horrible at the time and got pulled then re-added under a new name. Currently better then DayZ though.

Zack Zero: A 2.5D sidescrolling platformer where the gimmick is you can switch "elemental states" to use different abilities to solve puzzles. It looks pretty nice, but other then that is pretty boring and doesn't really do anything unique or interesting.

Overlord 2: Did you like Overlord? Do you want a nearly identical sequel that didn't quite understand what made the first fun and introduced a few boring new features? Yeah, avoid this game and just replay the original Overlord.

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
: This is the new Ghostbusters game that was poo poo.

Costume Quest: Typical quirky Doublefine game that gets dragged down by enormously repetitive combat that will tire you out before you finish the first level.

The Cursed Crusade: Okay, this one is tricky. It's a really janky game but the combat has some weight to is and is pretty fun. There are really long animations though so the game mostly consists of "anime-ish Crusades" followed by running through linear levels.

Darksiders 2: Again, like with Overlord, they took a pretty good game and made it overly complex (something like 400 hidden items to find) and didn't really do much else. I've heard that people love the combat of it but to me the thing I loved about the original Darksiders was that it was "Rob Liefeld's Awesome Legend of Zelda"

Deadlight: This game gets flagged every time during a sale by goons asking about it and the thread unanimously savaging the game.

And as a general rule, any top down zombie/alien shooters and any RPG maker game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Surprising that the Souls games aren't on sale, and that Dead Rising 2/Off The Record are still sort of overpriced considering their age.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

americanzero4128 posted:

Phetz posted:

I'd give it a pass, what I played of it kind of bored me to tears and I didn't find the platforming fun at all. If you want fun arcade-y shooters you might as well grab any of the Serious Sams or Painkillers or the new Shadow Warrior.

This guy basically said exactly what I wanted to say. Like, word-for-word.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pentyne posted:

Costume Quest: Typical quirky Doublefine game that gets dragged down by enormously repetitive combat that will tire you out before you finish the first level.

is it really that bad? :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Awesome! posted:

No, I loved it, but I can't deny that it's terribly repetitive.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Yes, please don't buy Deadlight, it's a stupid game. Even gameplay wise, the second act is Limbo bullshit that doesn't make any sense.

Any thoughts on Blackwell Epiphany? The game before it ended with a big setup for the finale but I heard it was completely dropped.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ardennes posted:

I hope Dark Souls 1 or 2 goes on sale. I may be the only person in the universe that hasn't played them, but I finally mentally cracked. I mean there is horror in it right.. the man's inhumanity against man type.

Dark Souls is a legitimate horror game, mainly due to the hosed up setting. Some of the bosses are rather horrific, but the basic premise is that you're essentially in a dying world and you're, in part, helping to speed that up for your own personal gain.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

No, I loved it, but I can't deny that it's terribly repetitive.

It is baby's first RPG but you can finish it in an afternoon. It's charming as gently caress and doesn't overstay its welcome.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Ragequit posted:

I am a sucker for getting any Pinball FX2 table when they are on sale, and it appears the Walking Dead and Doctor Strange tables are on sale today.

Are these tables any good?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:spooky: There's a Halloween Gift Ghost Train going on, think of it as a warm up for Christmas!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Ardennes posted:

I hope Dark Souls 1 or 2 goes on sale. I may be the only person in the universe that hasn't played them, but I finally mentally cracked. I mean there is horror in it right.. the man's inhumanity against man type.

I think they're being pretty generous with what they consider Halloween-themed. I'm not sure where the creeping horror lies in games like Fairy Bloom Freesia and Pool Nation.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

The different costumes you get change up the combat at regular intervals till you settle on your permanent set. With that being said, I won't deny the fact that it gets repetitive. The dialogue is great and the game is filled with double fine's charm. It's definitely worth it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well color me gobsmacked and poo poo in my cereal. Or something.

Interstellar Marines, a game that has been in development for what is effectively nine years, and once promised such heady heights as landshark alien murder, has released a thing. It's a single-player or coop module that has you fighting robots both unarmed but still robot strong or armed in an attempt to find out what happened to a station full of murderbots. You'll never guess. That said, the shooting is competent, the atmosphere is slick and more than a little offputting, and the gameplay in general shifts nicely throughout the course of play. You start in a dead, dark station full of horrible clanking and hissing noises, avoiding or murdering robots as you go around with your flashlight. You pretty quickly restore power and the robots get guns, which moves it into a more violent survival aspect as robots can see you much easier and you die extremely easily.

I don't know that it's still yet worth recommending you spend money on Interstellar Marines, but it is currently half off, and they seem to have finally gotten their poo poo in gear. Worth a consideration, and I might stream it later on just to give you a better idea.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

triplexpac posted:

All their other tables have been pretty drat fun, one way or another.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

al-azad posted:

e: NecroVision is $2 what are you doing not buying it?

What makes NecroVision so good? (or at least, good for that price?)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

I have not picked up Walking Dead yet, but Doctor Strange was all right. I've honestly had the most fun with the light-hearted tables, like Epic Quest and Plants vs. Zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

:spooky: There's a Halloween Gift Ghost Train going on, think of it as a warm up for Christmas!

I am way too absorbed in Fantasy Life to grab new games at the moment, but big props to you for putting this together. I was in one a long time ago and it was fun.

• Locked thread