Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I've lost on verse 6 like four times now. I even dropped the difficulty down to ensure a victory but the last enemy did like a fuckton of damage. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Can the unlockable characters wear the costumes you unlock or buy? Can you have Rodin running around in Peach's dress?

Jeanne and Rosa have their own buyable outfits (same price). I don't know about the male characters though; I imagine at the least Balder has a maskless costume.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rosa has no outfits, I'm pretty sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rodin has his "Japanese" costume and his "Western" Costume, the Lumen Sage is masked and unmasked.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Unless Gaze has a modifier, I don't see how not getting a platinum for score with it on is possible.

The score I posted with Jeanne earlier is just from standard play, though its not really the best case because she has boosted score

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whenever Lumen Sage shows up I get a little sad. Platinum trophies up to this point though so doin good on that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm going to all-plat 2nd Climax and just Do My Best on all the difficulties afterward. Only have 2 more chapters to plat on 2nd, at least. I had the luck to get a decent enough score on the final chapter in my first go.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Using the Daisy outfit has me so conflicted. The thing is loving hideous and somehow more shameful then her usual stuff, yet hearing bowser scream "YEAH!!!" whenever he hits things is so goddamn funny I can't stop.

The Princess outfits are...they make me uncomfortable in ways that require a bit of self-reflection and maybe a visit to the local priest.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Sorry, I wasn't able to do another match with you Undersea magic, I've got an early class tomorrow. It was fun though!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Rodin being so slow would all be forgiven if I could just play as Santa Rodin.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The closest thing to a dash is dive kicking all the time but good luck getting to your partner when they're down. It sucks how watered down he is compared to his boss form and I was expecting him to have the ground stomp as a kick combo at least. I still use him since I love his win animation.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So the Wrath of the Raging Demon-esque attack a certain bonus boss can do is getting some attention today.

The odd thing is that the same thing happens when he does the attack in the first Bayonetta but next to nobody seems to have known the attack left her like that in the first game, even though almost every "References found in Bayonetta" feature written online makes note of the attack.

I'd chalk the fact that it seemingly hasn't been brought up at all in the past four or so years is because the attack only leaves her without clothes if she's wearing the standard outfit you start the game with in both games. If you're wearing an alternate costume or playing as one of the alternate characters, the clothes stay on similar to how they work in-game when you're summoning with an alt. outfit.

And by the time you're trying to clear the Platinum Ticket, you're most likely already wearing a different set of clothes than the ones you've gone through the game once with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It is in pretty bad taste, especially given how out of place it is compared to the rest of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I get the joke they were going for but yeah it's pretty dumb. I don't find it terribly offensive considering the entire rest of the game more then makes up for it but it is still tasteless.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I got this game and I just want to say that it's like Platinum read my mind and fixed everything about the first game that bugged me: the crappy "Mysterious Destiny" fight theme, the giant bosses, ALfheims that are borderline impossible your first time through and require backtracking, the sameish weapons (much as I miss Onyx Roses, those things murdered Grace and Glory), on fire enemies and the goddamn motherfucker qte's and sequences where you're outrunning death. This game learned every lesson it could from the first game and made something completely glorious, I would not be surprised to see this thing heralded as the greatest action game ever made. Platinum keeps topping themselves and I don't see how they keep doing it.

Also the Gamestop guy who sold me this was just as excited about this game as I was, apparently he had been trying to recommend it to people and they kept passing it by. We talked a bunch about games in the genre and he was overall a swell dude. He mentioned that he wanted a Platinum Star Fox game and I told him that the series might be cursed (look at Rare). That is my dumb story about a video game dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So the Wrath of the Raging Demon-esque attack a certain bonus boss can do is getting some attention today.

The odd thing is that the same thing happens when he does the attack in the first Bayonetta but next to nobody seems to have known the attack left her like that in the first game, even though almost every "References found in Bayonetta" feature written online makes note of the attack.

I'd chalk the fact that it seemingly hasn't been brought up at all in the past four or so years is because the attack only leaves her without clothes if she's wearing the standard outfit you start the game with in both games. If you're wearing an alternate costume or playing as one of the alternate characters, the clothes stay on similar to how they work in-game when you're summoning with an alt. outfit.

And by the time you're trying to clear the Platinum Ticket, you're most likely already wearing a different set of clothes than the ones you've gone through the game once with.

It's pretty lovely and tasteless and the game (both games) are worse off for it being in. There's nothing else to say about it. Anyone who is disgusted by it is pretty right to be so.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

As fabulous as this game is that is hosed up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Turning Bayonetta into an object of sexual humiliation/derision is exactly the opposite of what she's normally about. It flies in the face of everything about the character and is bad. Boooooo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, that's pretty stomach-turning. It doesn't fit the tone of the game or any of the characters involved, including Rodin. There's no reason for that one particular element to be there. If her clothes stayed on it would just be a raging demon reference and nothing more. They did such a good job on everything else. Who thought this was necessary?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

chumbler posted:

Yeah, that's pretty stomach-turning. It doesn't fit the tone of the game or any of the characters involved, including Rodin. There's no reason for that one particular element to be there. If her clothes stayed on it would just be a raging demon reference and nothing more. They did such a good job on everything else. Who thought this was necessary?

I see the thought process as "Bayonetta's normal outfit has her using her hair as her clothes, Rodin's raging demon hit so hard that she's KO'd for a moment and can't keep it up." (Also a excuse as to why if she's wearing a unlockable outfit you don't see anything)

The execution though is just... ech.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I see the thought process as "Bayonetta's normal outfit has her using her hair as her clothes, Rodin's raging demon hit so hard that she's KO'd for a moment and can't keep it up." (Also a excuse as to why if she's wearing a unlockable outfit you don't see anything)

The execution though is just... ech.

Is that supposed to be a post beat down cigarette he's smoking?

I agree with the others, that is way out of character for Rodin and I'm surprised its in the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Broseph Brostar posted:

I agree with the others, that is way out of character for Rodin and I'm surprised its in the game.

Oh no, the imagery is supposed to make you think of other things. I will not argue against that in the slightest. I'm just thinking that platinum took a joke to far. I don't think Rodin did anything to Bayo explicit (Bayo does this poo poo ALL THE drat TIME to enemies), it's just unfortunate given the context.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Rodin does smoke a cigarette as his victory pose and stuff in-game. It could just be a really unfortunate combination of factors, but... still pretty skeevy.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Oxxidation posted:

I think Kamiya is legitimately terrified of women and that is hilarious.

my friend and i bought the art book for bayo 1 back in sept and the entry for the design of luka basically reads 'this is my fetish and i want bayonetta to step on me because she's a strong woman.'

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

yeah I considered playing devil's advocate with the same justifications on this but really there's no way Platinum didn't mean for it to look the way it does so the justifications are pretty irrelevant. Still, 99% of this game is very good about not doing that kind of stuff so I guess it just is what it is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I think "joke taken too far" is probably the best description. If you remove the one thing that is the problem here then everything else works fine and is consistent with the game's tone and the gross implications disappear. It's just that that one case ends up taking it in an upsetting direction that is wrong both for the tone of the game and the characters. And of course it's obvious that they had to know how it would look but shipped it anyway, so that's a clear fault.

That being said, to denounce the game as a whole and Platinum as the worst human beings, as will no doubt be happening, is a pretty severe overreaction. People are totally justified in reacting how they are to the specific offense here, but good things can have a bad thing in them and still be overall good.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well at least alt costumes make it go away. Still sucks that it's in the game but at least there's an easy fix to it.

Still one hell of a blemish though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
5 long years

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gross.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Polygon was right

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, poo poo. I know it seems spergy (username), but I've always defended this series on the basis of "No rapey stuff" and now that I know there is, in fact, rapey stuff, I can't in good conscience defend or support it anymore. I know it's only that one time, but that's still too many. :(

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Well, poo poo. I know it seems spergy (username), but I've always defended this series on the basis of "No rapey stuff" and now that I know there is, in fact, rapey stuff, I can't in good conscience defend or support it anymore. I know it's only that one time, but that's still too many. :(

Hmm, okay

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Tsurupettan posted:

my friend and i bought the art book for bayo 1 back in sept and the entry for the design of luka basically reads 'this is my fetish and i want bayonetta to step on me because she's a strong woman.'

There is no such thing in there, at least don't make poo poo up please.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Spergatory posted:

you mean multiple times don't you? Or did you forget about the Joy torture attack. http://youtu.be/MbgTYm_DuM0?t=2m55s

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah, what it actually says is:

Kamiya on Luka posted:

While considering the [story] scenario, I thought a young and inexperienced male would make for a good pair with a strong, mature woman like Bayo. Being that I am a pure, virginal boy, Luka is like an ingame representation of my own innocent hopes and dreams.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 30, 2014

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mr. Neutron posted:

I can have my friend take a picture of the page when she wakes up if you'd like. Also my quote and comment had nothing to do with this page and I hadn't even seen all this stuff until just now.

Kamiya is a perfect human being, my comment isn't a slight against him.

E: ^ yup that's it thank you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to be like Hideki Kamiya when I grow up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Gotta be yourself. Only one in the world.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dude has a pretty strange self-image...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

I want to be like Hideki Kamiya when I grow up.

[e]: FB by Neo Rasa:D

• Locked thread