Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Apples are constipating unless it's in the form of juice. You want fruits and veggies that start with the letter p, like pears, peas, peaches, plums, etc. I second that solids should be offered with a cup of water. It's important for baby to learn how to drink out of vessels other than bottles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Apogee15 posted:

I've read that watering down formula is generally a bad idea because it can cause their sodium levels to be too low and that the ratio in the formula is specifically designed to give them the amount of water they need so any above that is generally too much. I think the recommendation is that you should never dilute formula, but once they hit 6 months you can give them sips of water when they are thirsty/with solid food and once they hit a year you can stop worrying about them drinking too much water.

This is the only actual reason I've seen for not doing it other than "IT BAD". Though I'm not really sure how giving them water 2 minutes afterwards with food is any different, but I'll get his sippy cups down.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I think it's different because he might not finish an 8oz bottle and therefore be missing out of some of the Formula. Whereas if it's seperate you know he'll finish his 6oz formula and then take what water he wants.
Also you said you don't really want to take him to the doctor but at least around here that's just a phone call for some advice, no appt needed.

the anti femi nazi
May 30, 2007
This may be really common knowledge (and if so sorry for being of no help), but don't tap the scoop!
http://www.whattoexpect.com/blogs/astudentatmamauniversity/baby-formula-blunder

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

the anti femi nazi posted:

This may be really common knowledge (and if so sorry for being of no help), but don't tap the scoop!
http://www.whattoexpect.com/blogs/astudentatmamauniversity/baby-formula-blunder

I think this is true for most formula, but the Nutramigen stuff that I've been using actually says to pack the scoop down. After a bit of reading online people are saying they changed it from unpacked to packed when they added something called Enflora. So it's probably only with the hypoallergenic stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Someone please tell me our son's sleep pattern will eventually return to normal.

He's four months and going through classic sleep regression. He was sleeping for 9-10 hours at night since about 6 weeks but right around his 4 month mark, he started waking up at 1:30 and 4:30 (typical bedtime around 8-8:30).

He just needs his pacifier popped back in each time and I guess we should count ourselves lucky that's all it is. He still goes to sleep like a champ but it's been almost two weeks of this now and we'd love for him just to sleep through.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I don't mean to alarm you, but my daughter took about 6 months to become a decent sleeper after her sleep changed at 3.5 months. The 4 month regression is a real kick in the balls.

E: It got worse before it got better, but if it helps, it did get better eventually.

New Weave Wendy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 28, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't envy you with bad sleepers. Our twins where always pretty good sleepers, even during their worst teething moments it wasn't as bad as every single day and night seems to be for my fiances sister with their single son.

An hour of sleep then crying and having to be rocked back to sleep seems to be the standard for him and from what I've heard it's not gotten any better. He's maybe 6 months now.

Also cutting baby hair, how do you do it, if you do it yourself that is? Daniels hair is getting pretty long and it could use a trim, at the ends at least I think. Fiance is skeptical and don't want me to touch it though. But look at all that hair:

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

His Divine Shadow posted:

But look at all that hair:

Don't you mean "Look at all that hair! :3:"?

because look at all that hair :kimchi:

I'd like to know, too, though. My dude is 18 months and just has a thick head of very fine blonde hair that curls in the back of his head, but it's a lot longer on one side and it's kind of weird looking. I don't really care at this point but I imagine soon he's going to have half a mullet and I don't know how to go about fixing that

Sunday night was his first night in his toddler bed. It took about half an hour of him going mad with freedom, but then he stayed in bed until about 5am (which is pretty good considering the time change). Last night I put him to bed, and after his book and song, he just stayed in there. It.. it can't be this easy, can it?

As an aside, I am completely jealous of his room. Ikea is amazing. Ikea forever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That doesn't look all too long, but I just took mine(around the same age/hair length) to Sport clips or equivalent chain and he sat in my lap. They are always going to have at least one lady there who knows how to cut baby hair, most of them have babies themselves whose hair they probably cut, and it will look great. Second time I took him a month ago he even sat in the chair by himself.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
We took our son to a barber once his bangs were in his eyes. He's 19 months and has had 3 hair cuts already.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We cut Jasper's hair ourselves. I think we did a pretty good job. I was going to wait until he was two, but he was getting one big dread on the back of his head constantly. We took the weekend to do it so we did the basic cut one day and then the next day tidied it up a little more since he doesn't like to sit still.
Before:

After: (best way to show all sides)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mixl0HXEmjI

This is like what we did.
http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/how-to-cut-boys-hair-like-a-pro
It gives it that non bowl cut sort of look. We did have to do it in two sessions. We had him in the tub to make it easier to clean up and contain him.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Thwomp posted:

Someone please tell me our son's sleep pattern will eventually return to normal.

He's four months and going through classic sleep regression. He was sleeping for 9-10 hours at night since about 6 weeks but right around his 4 month mark, he started waking up at 1:30 and 4:30 (typical bedtime around 8-8:30).

He just needs his pacifier popped back in each time and I guess we should count ourselves lucky that's all it is. He still goes to sleep like a champ but it's been almost two weeks of this now and we'd love for him just to sleep through.

Sleeping 9-10 hours straight at 6 weeks old???

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
We were up 1-3 times per night for the first six months. Consider yourself lucky that you got as much sleep as you did.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

flowinprose posted:

Sleeping 9-10 hours straight at 6 weeks old???

Very nearly. He's been a great sleeper for us until recently. He loves to be swaddled but loved to break out of them. The key came when we discovered those swaddles with the velcro. He got to be swaddled and couldn't break out.

There's been minor progress with his sleep regression. He's no longer waking consistently at 1am. Just at 4-4:30am. It's better than what it was before we'll take it. More annoying than anything else. Gotta keep looking at the positives.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My son from about 6 weeks until 3.5 months would sleep for 8 hours, wake to nurse, then back down for a few more hours. Then the 4 month sleep regression hit and he didn't sleep through the night until 10 months. And then it only happened randomly. Now at 16 he's probably 50/50 at sleeping through the night or waking up once or more.

Buckle in for a long ride.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sheri posted:

My son from about 6 weeks until 3.5 months would sleep for 8 hours, wake to nurse, then back down for a few more hours. Then the 4 month sleep regression hit and he didn't sleep through the night until 10 months. And then it only happened randomly. Now at 16 he's probably 50/50 at sleeping through the night or waking up once or more.

Buckle in for a long ride.

We're still pretty much at this stage at 19 months. A lot of that is teething though - we will get about a week of good 8-hour stretches and then a tooth comes in and it all goes to poo poo again.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I have a theory: There is only a finite amount of babysleep available in the world each night, and it varies who gets it. Because whenever my kid sleeps great, I'll have a friend complaining that their kid wakes up every hour. And when we're treated to nightly screamfests, one of my friends kids will turn into a great sleeper. It explains everything! So Thwomp, so far you've been freeloading babysleep, but now it's your turn to suffer for a while. But your through-the-night-sleeper will be back! And then he'll go away again. Rinse and repeat.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
I had a post typed up about sleep regression but my phone ate it so basically yeah, I freeloaded all the awesome babysleep between 6 weeks and 4 1/2 months and now it's just :shepicide: almost every night.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Had a rough night last night. Up every 1.5-2 hours. Ugh, that's what I get for talking out loud about it.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Talking about your baby sleeping well is like talking about it being really slow at work. DON'T DO IT, IT WILL CALL FORTH CHAOS.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
So if I talk about my baby sleeping badly (he was up every 1-1.5 hours) he'll start sleeping well, right?

Right?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sweet Gulch posted:

So if I talk about my baby sleeping badly (he was up every 1-1.5 hours) he'll start sleeping well, right?

Right?

:cawg:

Prepare for pain, now he will wake up every half hour just to spite you.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
My response to "does he sleep through the night?" has always been "he is a good sleeper!" because if you say no you get the advice to sleep train blah blah you're ruining him by cosleeping and if you say yes you get the "oh you are so lucky" horror stories.

I don't think the law of sympathetic magic works with babies, sorry Sweet Gulch ;)

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My son has just discovered the dog door and now takes himself outside at every opportunity.
Normally he just likes to go say hi to the chickens and check for eggs, or he plays with his toys or tries to play with the hose.

Luckily our yard is fully fenced so he can't get out, and I find it amusing that it took until he was 2 to figure out he could go out the magic dog portal too. Sometimes he even comes back in.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
So two weeks ago my wife and I just had our first kid, a baby girl named Stella. Now I always sleep talked, and would tell really weird stories, and have full conversations but not remember them, since I was a young kid. This past year in boot camp, I would apparently do pushups and arm stretches in my sleep. But now, now I full on sleep walk.

We're staying at her parents, and I sleep in a different room because I have three jobs and my schedule is super unstable. Our baby feeds then sleeps immediately then wakes up to feed, so don't want to disrupt them, so I let them stay in a different room. But one thing I've been doing really bad is in the middle of the night, walking to my wife or her mom with my arms like I'm holding the baby and freaking out where the baby is. The other day, I thought my pillow was the baby and she got trapped in there or something. I dont know. I asked a coworker and he said he would sleepwalk or wake up in the middle of the night worrying about the baby. So uh, is this normal, or at least have enough other weirdos done stuff like this so I know I'm in a group?

Also my baby has like a ton of hair on her head, and she's rolling over off her stomach and her mom/grandma are like freaking about how early development that is, so apparently I have a super baby. I would put a picture up but no pics on this laptop uploaded yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

squarerandom posted:

So two weeks ago my wife and I just had our first kid, a baby girl named Stella. Now I always sleep talked, and would tell really weird stories, and have full conversations but not remember them, since I was a young kid. This past year in boot camp, I would apparently do pushups and arm stretches in my sleep. But now, now I full on sleep walk.

We're staying at her parents, and I sleep in a different room because I have three jobs and my schedule is super unstable. Our baby feeds then sleeps immediately then wakes up to feed, so don't want to disrupt them, so I let them stay in a different room. But one thing I've been doing really bad is in the middle of the night, walking to my wife or her mom with my arms like I'm holding the baby and freaking out where the baby is. The other day, I thought my pillow was the baby and she got trapped in there or something. I dont know. I asked a coworker and he said he would sleepwalk or wake up in the middle of the night worrying about the baby. So uh, is this normal, or at least have enough other weirdos done stuff like this so I know I'm in a group?

Also my baby has like a ton of hair on her head, and she's rolling over off her stomach and her mom/grandma are like freaking about how early development that is, so apparently I have a super baby. I would put a picture up but no pics on this laptop uploaded yet.

Two weeks for rolling over is crazy. Our second started at four months and that's apparently pretty early.

Waking up in the middle of the night is totally normal. No idea about the sleep walking though!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When my twins were old enough to do a little co-sleeping we would let one of them stay in the bed a little while longer than the other on occasion. Before having babies I always slept like a log and never did anything "funny" in my sleep, but for months after they became "good sleepers" I would always wake up in a panic and cold sweat because I thought our kid was still in the room and was under the blankets. Woo parenthood ptsd!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Daniel has achieved new skill, climbing, level 1.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Hey there fellow sleep talker! Go to a sleep doctor (get a referral from your regular doctor). They'll send you to a sleep study so they can study you...while you sleep. I do the same thing (minus some of the walking, but all of the talking). I still worry about the baby sometimes (sometimes if she wakes up early for a feed, my wife will be feeding her, and she'll find me wandering around the house looking for her). It might get better over time, but go see a doc regardless.

Also, my baby (now 10.5mos) also rolled over from belly-to-back when she was 15 days old! It's awesome to see them grow and do (what you think are) such little things like roll over, and grab things!

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 4, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Unfortunately someone working three jobs may not have the time or money for a sleep study. If all three are part time there's a good chance he's not getting insurance. Hope you do have the ability to get a sleep study though! That kind of sleepwalking can be a serious medical issue.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

squarerandom posted:

But one thing I've been doing really bad is in the middle of the night, walking to my wife or her mom with my arms like I'm holding the baby and freaking out where the baby is. The other day, I thought my pillow was the baby and she got trapped in there or something. I dont know. I asked a coworker and he said he would sleepwalk or wake up in the middle of the night worrying about the baby. So uh, is this normal, or at least have enough other weirdos done stuff like this so I know I'm in a group?
My son is 2.5 months now and I'm just starting to get through a few nights in a row without a dream/incident like that. For the first month I'd wake up every night in a half-dreaming half-awake state and be sure that he was in the bed and I was smothering him. I'd root around in a panic looking for him and end up waking up my girlfriend with my efforts (and whatever nonsense I was speaking). I only got completely out of bed once -- I walked into the living room convinced that I'd moved him out there for some reason. I found a stuffed animal on the couch and when I woke up for real I was standing there holding it like I'd saved the day.

He sleeps in a pack-n-play in our bedroom right now and I guess I hear his breathing and think he's right next to me. Sleep deprivation does crazy things. :)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

squarerandom posted:

You were just in boot camp, you have three jobs and a new baby? That's an awful lot of stress, that's probably why you're sleepwalking. :( I've always slept poorly but only sleepwalk when there's a ton of stress. I think it's totally normal to wake up and have a mini-freakout about the baby, especially if you're not in the room with them, but the sleepwalking seems a little outside that range.

I'd look into the sleep study, or maybe getting a prescription for a sleep med if you tolerate them/have at least 8 hours in which you can sleep uninterrupted. (I don't know if that's more likely because you sleep in a separate room, or less likely due to your schedule.) Ambien makes some people do crazy things but it worked wonders for me. If you can't afford or schedule those, maybe look into stress-reduction techniques and/or meditation? "Hypnosis" was really helpful for me, too. (Really it was just guided relaxation but it was really helpful in a lasting way and I sleep much better.)

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Chicken McNobody posted:

You were just in boot camp, you have three jobs and a new baby? That's an awful lot of stress, that's probably why you're sleepwalking. :( I've always slept poorly but only sleepwalk when there's a ton of stress. I think it's totally normal to wake up and have a mini-freakout about the baby, especially if you're not in the room with them, but the sleepwalking seems a little outside that range.

I'd look into the sleep study, or maybe getting a prescription for a sleep med if you tolerate them/have at least 8 hours in which you can sleep uninterrupted. (I don't know if that's more likely because you sleep in a separate room, or less likely due to your schedule.) Ambien makes some people do crazy things but it worked wonders for me. If you can't afford or schedule those, maybe look into stress-reduction techniques and/or meditation? "Hypnosis" was really helpful for me, too. (Really it was just guided relaxation but it was really helpful in a lasting way and I sleep much better.)

In the reserves, so it's not *really* a job(?) but there's enough stress from it to add to the toll.

greatn posted:

Unfortunately someone working three jobs may not have the time or money for a sleep study. If all three are part time there's a good chance he's not getting insurance. Hope you do have the ability to get a sleep study though! That kind of sleepwalking can be a serious medical issue.

No time is very true, but my main job is union so I get insurance.

I'm pretty sure it's just stress seeing how I'm 27 and rocking salt and pepper for the most part, and my beard/stache get some grey too.

I think I will look into it, I just have to ask a regular doctor, or talk to my insurance about wanting to see something about it? I also don't want to go too far down that road seeing how I don't want something to effect my Navy career :(

pjhalifax posted:

My son is 2.5 months now and I'm just starting to get through a few nights in a row without a dream/incident like that. For the first month I'd wake up every night in a half-dreaming half-awake state and be sure that he was in the bed and I was smothering him. I'd root around in a panic looking for him and end up waking up my girlfriend with my efforts (and whatever nonsense I was speaking). I only got completely out of bed once -- I walked into the living room convinced that I'd moved him out there for some reason. I found a stuffed animal on the couch and when I woke up for real I was standing there holding it like I'd saved the day.

He sleeps in a pack-n-play in our bedroom right now and I guess I hear his breathing and think he's right next to me. Sleep deprivation does crazy things. :)

We're at her parents right now and go back to our apartment next week, so maybe the comfort level? All though a week before the baby I found myself half awake in the closet trying to find the door I was pulling on a sweater as if it was a handle .

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Kids, man.

So my boys enjoy nail polish. Because I have an obscene amount of all sorts of colors, and colors are fun. I'll paint each nail a different color if they want (and they do.) I don't care, no one cares, it's not a problem. Until today.

Tim came home from school saying he wanted his (formerly "awesome") blue and gold polish taken off because girls kept asking him why his nails were painted, and that only girls did that. (I had told him before that usually only girls painted their nails, but I was happy to help him do what he pleased.) I obliged, and he was disappointed. He decided to keep his toes, because those were his secret inside his shoes. I said, no problem; whatever he wants. :smith: I know it's a non-issue, really, and he's happily moved on to watching Ninja Turtles before bed, but still. It just bummed me out because it was a tiny, but tangible, dampening of a little bit of his individuality due to social conditioning.

I told him when he was older, he may [hopefully] find it easier to not be bothered by things other kids say; that he could do whatever makes him happy, so long as it didn't hurt anyone.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I had a friend in high school who frequently let girls braid his hair and paint his fingernails and things like that. At some point when I asked him about it, he simply said that it's a great way to spend time with girls.

When your kid's older, I'm sure if he's still into getting his nails painted, the chicks will totally dig it, as it were. And if he's into guys instead, then at least it's a great way to make female friends.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AlistairCookie posted:

Kids, man.

So my boys enjoy nail polish. Because I have an obscene amount of all sorts of colors, and colors are fun. I'll paint each nail a different color if they want (and they do.) I don't care, no one cares, it's not a problem. Until today.

Tim came home from school saying he wanted his (formerly "awesome") blue and gold polish taken off because girls kept asking him why his nails were painted, and that only girls did that. (I had told him before that usually only girls painted their nails, but I was happy to help him do what he pleased.) I obliged, and he was disappointed. He decided to keep his toes, because those were his secret inside his shoes. I said, no problem; whatever he wants. :smith: I know it's a non-issue, really, and he's happily moved on to watching Ninja Turtles before bed, but still. It just bummed me out because it was a tiny, but tangible, dampening of a little bit of his individuality due to social conditioning.

I told him when he was older, he may [hopefully] find it easier to not be bothered by things other kids say; that he could do whatever makes him happy, so long as it didn't hurt anyone.

My friend's 4-year-old girl really wanted a pixie haircut, and at first she loved it, but apparently now she won't leave the house without a headscarf because of kids teasing her about being a boy. :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never posted in this thread, but I need to just... I don't know, not 'vent', but type this out. I apologize if it's all over the place, I'm just kind of writing as it comes to me.

I'm worried about my son. I try and be positive and strong for my wife, since she's stressed as hell, but it's tough, and sometimes it comes off as I don't care. In short, he hasn't been eating well (100% breastfed). He had a lip tie, and ever since that was fixed, he won't take bottles whatsoever, and when he does feed, it's for a few minutes, and he's barely gaining weight. He's also got a bit of a bulge on the right side of his head, and he trembles every so often. Today, she brought him to one of our local hospitals that specializes in breastfeeding, and right away, within two minutes, the doctors there noticed not just his head, but also his tremble. They're sending off his records to the children's hospital in the city, and my wife's calling them to make an appointment tomorrow, because the doctors think he may have a central nerve system disorder.

Right before he was born, my wife and I went in to the hospital for a non-stress test, to check his heartrate, and every single time she had a contraction, his heart rate would drop off the charts. Because of this, they kept us in the hospital and carried out an emergency c-section. We were actually just 4 days away from our planned induction date (which was actually the LAST date they were going to allow him to stay in the womb, he was late), so it was good timing. When he was born, his lip would tremble like he was cold, and we were told that, because his nerve system wasn't fully developed yet, that was common.

However, 3+ months later, it's still happening, and the doctors at the hospital that we went to today were pissed that this wasn't noticed by anyone else earlier. Looking it up, it seems that this may have been caused by trauma during or right before birth, like from her contractions.

I've been reading some things about all of this, and some of it is REALLY scary, like him possibly growing up with a mental disorder, him having trouble with language, stuff like that. My wife is part of a pregancy group on FB of around 20 women who all gave birth in July, and all of their children are meeting milestones, but our son isn't. The doctor told us that, while me may not be grabbing for his toys while on his play mat, he IS grabbing for his hands and holding them, which counts for the same thing. I guess that's a positive, but another thing they said was that he's doing that to stop his hand from shaking so much, which is what happens. If he's shaking a bit, and puts his hands together (or focuses on something), he's absolutely still.

I don't know what else I can say about all of this, she went in today for help with breastfeeding and to see why he seems to barely want to eat, and now we're looking into him maybe having a serious problem, and I just feel so helpless, and it's killing me, because I just want my little son to be ok, and be like the rest of the children and to have a happy life, and I'm worried that he won't get any of that, and holy gently caress, I can't help but cry.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never posted in this thread, but I need to just... I don't know, not 'vent', but type this out. I apologize if it's all over the place, I'm just kind of writing as it comes to me.

I'm worried about my son. I try and be positive and strong for my wife, since she's stressed as hell, but it's tough, and sometimes it comes off as I don't care. In short, he hasn't been eating well (100% breastfed). He had a lip tie, and ever since that was fixed, he won't take bottles whatsoever, and when he does feed, it's for a few minutes, and he's barely gaining weight. He's also got a bit of a bulge on the right side of his head, and he trembles every so often. Today, she brought him to one of our local hospitals that specializes in breastfeeding, and right away, within two minutes, the doctors there noticed not just his head, but also his tremble. They're sending off his records to the children's hospital in the city, and my wife's calling them to make an appointment tomorrow, because the doctors think he may have a central nerve system disorder.

Right before he was born, my wife and I went in to the hospital for a non-stress test, to check his heartrate, and every single time she had a contraction, his heart rate would drop off the charts. Because of this, they kept us in the hospital and carried out an emergency c-section. We were actually just 4 days away from our planned induction date (which was actually the LAST date they were going to allow him to stay in the womb, he was late), so it was good timing. When he was born, his lip would tremble like he was cold, and we were told that, because his nerve system wasn't fully developed yet, that was common.

However, 3+ months later, it's still happening, and the doctors at the hospital that we went to today were pissed that this wasn't noticed by anyone else earlier. Looking it up, it seems that this may have been caused by trauma during or right before birth, like from her contractions.

I've been reading some things about all of this, and some of it is REALLY scary, like him possibly growing up with a mental disorder, him having trouble with language, stuff like that. My wife is part of a pregancy group on FB of around 20 women who all gave birth in July, and all of their children are meeting milestones, but our son isn't. The doctor told us that, while me may not be grabbing for his toys while on his play mat, he IS grabbing for his hands and holding them, which counts for the same thing. I guess that's a positive, but another thing they said was that he's doing that to stop his hand from shaking so much, which is what happens. If he's shaking a bit, and puts his hands together (or focuses on something), he's absolutely still.

I don't know what else I can say about all of this, she went in today for help with breastfeeding and to see why he seems to barely want to eat, and now we're looking into him maybe having a serious problem, and I just feel so helpless, and it's killing me, because I just want my little son to be ok, and be like the rest of the children and to have a happy life, and I'm worried that he won't get any of that, and holy gently caress, I can't help but cry.

That sucks man. I'm lucky to have a good baby, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. I will say that not all babies are going to hit milestones at the same time. Some babies will do things later than others. I was worried about Colby for a long time, but I've realized he'll grow at his own rate.

The rest is terrible. Good luck, I really hope it's nothing major. Let us know how it goes. At least some doctors have seen it and it's getting looked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That's what I keep thinking. A majorly scary thing is that the bulge/bump on his head could mean that his skull isn't going to form properly, which means, absolutely worst case scenario, his brain can't grow and develop because it won't have enough room. However, in looking that up, I see that most doctors recommend treating that (with surgery) between 6-12 months of age, so we're not late in that regard.

Thank you for your words. Reading that, and typing it all out in the first place has made me feel a bit better, but I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief if/when we find out that this is hopefully not serious.