Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

I would have probated you for that, too.

What's your favourite ship, Freak Futanari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Android Blues posted:

HICs ship is pretty rad. Too bad it got blown up.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Android Blues posted:

I shall not answer this question unless a moderator guarantees my safety.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Freak Futanari posted:

I shall not answer this question unless a moderator guarantees my safety.

Does it have a special shipping name? :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite ship is that one the main kids all rode on for like a few years or whatever a while back. Y'know, when they were going between windows in Andrew Hussie's house I think.

edit: vvv i don't remember anything about this comic

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 30, 2014

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That was only John and Jade (and Davesprite). Hardly all of the main kids. :colbert:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

New update for the Kickstarter game:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14293468/homestuck-adventure-game/posts/1035099

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

That concept art looks REALLY nice. It's interesting that they moved dev in house too but I guess it makes sense if you have the money to hire some solid people?

Also, scheduling-related newspost from Hussie:

Huss gon give it to ya posted:

Homestuck continues this Saturday, with A6A6A4 posted in its entirety, resuming with the true focus of Homestuck, Caliborn's incredible journey as an artist. Then A6A6I4 starts on Monday, and will continue in a semi-regular manner thereafter, until it is done. I will find some horse calendar pages and illustrate the schedule for your convenience. You are, as always, welcome.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Quick Summary:
Development has been changed to in-house. What-Pumpkin is now a gamedev studio, and apparently recently hired a bunch of talent.

The game will be episodic. There will possibly be a second episodic game released afterwards.

One game will be about a human kid sent to alternia, and another will be about a troll sent to Earth. Both games take place before the destruction of the two planets.

Also there's a bunch of concept art, as is par for the course.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Over the last several months, we've been shifting the development operation from the previous studio over to What Pumpkin.
Well that certainly fills me with confidence that real work has been done for real in a really real fashion. That was real.

Yeah.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Well that certainly fills me with confidence that real work has been done for real in a really real fashion. That was real.

Yeah.

I can only imagine some poo poo with down with Fartbangers Anonymous or whoever they had working on it before and they got tired of dealing with it.

edit: It's entirely possible that whatever happened was involved in derailing Hussie's work on the comic during the gigapause as well?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
What do you know, everyone who had reservations about the studio Hussie picked was right

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

JT Jag posted:

What do you know, everyone who had reservations about the studio Hussie picked was right

I must've missed this: Was there juicy internet drama?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He hired a game studio of his own??? Dangit I just finished a search for engineering jobs in Massachusetts, some of which were in the games industry, a month or so ago. How did I never hear about this??? :argh:

(it's actually quite possible that I got a LinkedIn email or something about it, saw the word "Northampton", and immediately went "hell naw DELETE")

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WAR FOOT posted:

I must've missed this: Was there juicy internet drama?
He initially hired these guys. They are notable for producing pretty small indie adventure games, like this and, more recently, this. Some people didn't think they'd be prepared for a project with the funding or scale of the Homestuck Game. Some people were apparently right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I, personally, am really excited about more Homestuck. :)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The real question is how much of ARE MONEY these guys hoovered up before being ditched.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno about the rest of the internet but they got 0 dollars from me. What Pumpkin will probably get 0 of my dollars too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Since it fits into HS canon, there is the obvious question of "when", especially given that HS is about "end of the world" scenarios (both on Earth and Alternia), so unless there's some goofy alt-universe stuff going on, it can't take place after 2009. But there isn't goofy AU stuff going on. So it does take place some time pre-2009 on Earth, and pre-present day on Alternia. Beyond that, I won't be more specific. I'll let the games tell the story.
"You've made it! You're now back on Earth! Congratulations! Epilogue: a meteor fell on you a few hours later, and you are now dead."

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Episodic gaming is the loving worst.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Freak Futanari posted:

KoB
May 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I dunno about the rest of the internet but they got 0 dollars from me. What Pumpkin will probably get 0 of my dollars too.

yeah but you gave away for hot naming tips for free, sucker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like episodic games and thought it'd make sense for the Homestuck game from the start. Pretty skeptical that Hussie'll ever pull off the game, though - I mean, it was funded two years ago and they're still at the "putting together a team, drawing concept art, playing with pre-pre-alpha models" phase.

It's all starting to sound a lot like Broken Age, actually. An adventure game about two teenagers involved in separate but interlaced stories, plus the game being broken up into two halves (and maybe some development anxiety mixed in).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm still waiting for Half-Life 3

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the concept of 'kid and tell switch places' is a good one for a game, for a couple of reasons:

- Fish out of water. Inexperience with the environment lets the player character learn about a place at the same rate as the player.

- Kid meeting switch-troll's troll friends is more interesting than reestablishing a third group of kids that knew each other long before the story started.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Also, i think it's pretty lovely of them to split the game into two. Even if they claim that they're both going to be complete games, it's pretty obvious that they just decided to cut the game in half so they could recoup some of the money they lost when they decided to hire a bunch of nobodies to make their game.

Then again, we all deserve this for actually funding a Kickstarter.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Freak Futanari posted:

I think we all like worse for being fans of Homestuck.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So how much time do you think this comic has left, weeks? months? Somehow a year?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Freak Futanari posted:

Also, i think it's pretty lovely of them to split the game into two. Even if they claim that they're both going to be complete games, it's pretty obvious that they just decided to cut the game in half so they could recoup some of the money they lost when they decided to hire a bunch of nobodies to make their game.

you can do way better then this if you really want to interpret things in the worst possible light

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fat_Cow posted:

So how much time do you think this comic has left, weeks? months? Somehow a year?

My guess? A year or more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Freak Futanari posted:

Speak for yourself.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only thing I dislike is that it's being released episodically because every single time this happens there ends up being absurd amounts of time between episodes. I'd rather just wait the extra time to play the whole thing at once.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The only thing I dislike is that it's being released episodically because every single time this happens there ends up being absurd amounts of time between episodes. I'd rather just wait the extra time to play the whole thing at once.

There is one advantage to episodic content: audience feedback. Since, as Hussie notes, this is A Thing in mspa, it will probably work out here.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Freak Futanari posted:

Chapter 1) Does it really count as episodic if it's just cut in two?

Chapter 2) Oracle of Ages/Seasons was loving incredible :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Episodic games are fine on the rare occasions that they are actually episodic, like for instance with the Strong Bad adventure game series.

It sounds like a pretty good premise. I'd be more interested to read about the development process, however.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Freak Futanari posted:

I got my slickpack, I'm regret nothing.

NOTHING!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Freak Futanari posted:

The same thing happened with Sonic 3 and the only bad consequence of that was the thousands of Sonic fans that were created in the process.

Homestuck fans already exist, so it's not like the world can get any worse on that front :downs:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chapter 1) Does it really count as episodic if it's just cut in two?

That's not what's going on. The game (singular) is now an unknown number of episodes about a human sent to Alternia. Afterwards, there may be a sequel/companion with an unknown number of episodes about a troll sent to Earth in that human's place.

I agree that episodic gaming is annoying and doesn't have a great track record, though I see why developers like it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chapter 2) Oracle of Ages/Seasons was loving incredible :colbert:

Truth.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
PS read my webcomic about the adventures of me and Sonikar, my grey-blue trollsona who is also my son

e/ vv well, poo poo. I had extremely low expectations to begin with though, so long as Hussie's writing is on form I'll probably be happy.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

That's not what's going on. The game (singular) is now an unknown number of episodes about a human sent to Alternia. Afterwards, there may be a sequel/companion with an unknown number of episodes about a troll sent to Earth in that human's place.

I agree that episodic gaming is annoying and doesn't have a great track record, though I see why developers like it.

The update says the first story (girl with flashlight in trolltown) will probably be four-ish episodes.

...I have no idea how to convert that from Hussie to English, considering Homestuck was supposed to be a year long.