Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think this page is an excellent depiction of why Johnny is respected as the leader of the gang. Not only can he keep his head clear and his priorities in order, but that is some class A trauma care he's demonstrating towards RJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There has been a serious shortage of avatar generation in this thread lately and I am gonna try fix that when I am at my computer instead of frantically phonetyping

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think this page is an excellent depiction of why Johnny is respected as the leader of the gang. Not only can he keep his head clear and his priorities in order, but that is some class A trauma care he's demonstrating towards RJ.

Stephen's the brain(problems) of the group, Ollie's the brawn, but Johnny's the HEART, man

I guess RJ's the soul or something idk this is overthinking a joke anyway

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ollie's both the brawn and the brains, though. This bully group smashes clichés AND faces.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Johnny's actually the Wild Card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Angry Walrus posted:

Johnny's actually the Wild Card.
Now I'm imagining a Persona/Paranatural crossover, and it's completely insane, but somehow also glorious.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

Stephen's the brain(problems) of the group, Ollie's the brawn, but Johnny's the HEART, man

While it doesn't fit, I think Ollie's also somewhat the brain of the group as well.

I actually really like Ollie. He's the hulking muscly brute sterotype, but he's actually demonstrated that he's in no way stupid.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was going to call him the brains and the brawn but i had to do the joke about stephen so

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

i was going to call him the brains and the brawn but i had to do the joke about stephen so

Ya, I understand. I was mostly just using your comment to state what I like about Ollie as a side character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ollie is basically Dotcom from 30 Rock

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This is the best page ever. I think it might be objectively perfect?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Now I'm imagining a Persona/Paranatural crossover, and it's completely insane, but somehow also glorious.

Which arcana is Jeff's Social Link?

This is important

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrap Dragon posted:

Which arcana is Jeff's Social Link?

This is important

I'd say he'd be Star. Maybe Sun, but I'm leaning towards Star.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

inkblot posted:

I'd say he'd be Star. Maybe Sun, but I'm leaning towards Star.

I do believe that Mr. Starchman is the Star.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hey, all. Hey, Countblanc. Just read all of Paranatural, and it's really good, funny, well drawn, definitely as good as Homestuck, big things happening, lots of good words, love it, love the characters, my compliments to the chef. Perfecto.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I do believe that Mr. Starchman is the Star.

Honestly, I'd say despite his penchant for gold stars Starchman would be Wheel of Fortune. Always wheelin' and dealin' those prizes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

Hey, all. Hey, Countblanc. Just read all of Paranatural, and it's really good, funny, well drawn, definitely as good as Homestuck, big things happening, lots of good words, love it, love the characters, my compliments to the chef. Perfecto.

Hello. Yeah it's very good. I think what's most neat is that Zack made a world where you care about the logistics as much as the events in the story. Not even in the nerdy "gotta know how magic works just because" way, but because things like "what's the difference between a tool user and a medium" is important to the story telling and has interesting implications.

e: now I had to go back and read stuff. Isabel's grandpa said to give the whalefrog plunger to Isaac, dude would have fuckin' torn it up since making reflections is pretty simple when you can conjure water

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 30, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Man people were calling this ages ago and I'm pleased by this development. Johnny becoming a Spectral might make for an interesting antagonist indeed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Johnny really won out here, skill in metal working will provide a valuable trade skill and aid him later in life, what good are storm powers, love powers, magnet powers, or light chicken powers?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Part of Ollie's description on the cast page is "The Muscle. Also the Brains. Also the Heart.", so he's kind of cornered the market. He makes a great foil for Johnny's proverbial avant-garde bullying schtick.

In fact, Johnny and his gang are the first set of bullies in a work of fiction that I've actually liked :allears:.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You just inspired me to read the cast page, and I learned this: I really miss the various classmates!

They've been out on this train for way too long. This chapter has been almost as long as all the previous chapters put together. Hasn't Max only been in town for, like, two days so far?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Ditocoaf posted:

You just inspired me to read the cast page, and I learned this: I really miss the various classmates!

They've been out on this train for way too long. This chapter has been almost as long as all the previous chapters put together. Hasn't Max only been in town for, like, two days so far?

I think this is supposed to be his third or fourth day.

And yeah, while the payoff was worth it, this chapter has been going on for punching ever.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Yeah. I actually stopped reading for months cause this just started to drag a lot. Luckily Johnny brought me back. He always does. :allears:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Collin is my stealth favorite character, so yeah, agreeing they need to get back to the school. I think if this chapter had tapered down on the anime speeches, it would've gone a lot faster, as nice as the contextualizing art was. Hopefully with Forge more in a secondary role instead of main antagonist they'll be less "GET IT, HE'S WORDY" stuff. And I know that Eightfold's long speech was trying to make her seem more endearing and her elimination harder, but... good grief, that took a lot of pages. Halfway worth it to justify Isaac's adventures, but woof.

Strip is starting to get back to more it's regular speed though, which is good. I'd like to see more chapters that were like Chapter 3 and not ones as long and protracted as this one.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think pacing is an issue with webcomics as a whole, really. If you wanna do a fight scene for instance, that's gonna last at least two weeks - if you can fit it in six pages. Three days a week is the default format and even a month worth of updates adds up to just half the pages on a comic book. I'm not saying it's not a valid complaint, but every serial webcomic I've ever read hit that slump, especially when trying to establish setting and lore.

That being said, this chapter is fuckin' long.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I think it would feel a bit faster if it updated more than twice a week- but three times a week is a very stressful schedule and I can understand entirely why people don't do it. Just think, it could be worse! It could be a once-a-week comic.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

you guys should stop reading serially because All of the Stuff you guys are bitching about read incredibly well when I was able to click "next" to view more of the story.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Somebody was gonna make some avatars from the most recent pages right?

Cause I got :10bux: burning a hole in my pocket

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, it's just a problem with having a comic that updates one page at a time... you either plan thinking of serial readers or you have to make the story go insanely fast, and the first is usually better if you want the product to stand on its own in the future.

Ah, the webcomicker's dilemma...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder if anyone out there with a winding story-driven webcomic in mind has ever just written the whole thing without uploading any of it then dumped the whole finished product at once? I guess the problem with that is the slow drip-feed is good for building people's interest and investment as well as attracting readers over the course of the run, dropping the whole comic at once would make it too easy for someone to read through it in a day then say "okay, cool" and never think about it again.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dolash posted:

I wonder if anyone out there with a winding story-driven webcomic in mind has ever just written the whole thing without uploading any of it then dumped the whole finished product at once?

Why, Tim Buckley's masterpiece allatonce.jpg of course

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

net cafe scandal posted:

you guys should stop reading serially because All of the Stuff you guys are bitching about read incredibly well when I was able to click "next" to view more of the story.

I actually do that with a bunch of webcomics when I think they're moving too slowly. Although I might not be a great example, because I binge on stuff I like and then forget about it for three or four months, so that process happens naturally.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dias posted:

I actually do that with a bunch of webcomics when I think they're moving too slowly. Although I might not be a great example, because I binge on stuff I like and then forget about it for three or four months, so that process happens naturally.

Me too. it's a happier way of life

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i'm not good at making gifs why is the quality so hosed up
________________/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dolash posted:

I wonder if anyone out there with a winding story-driven webcomic in mind has ever just written the whole thing without uploading any of it then dumped the whole finished product at once?

Didn't Rice Boy update in huge chunks?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Idunno, I'm usually ready to accept that "pacing problems" are actually "reading update-by-update" problems, but Chapter 4 actually has as many pages as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3 combined. That feels like this field trip ended up being more... "full of story", more detailed, than anticipated. Maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: I've just got to reiterate how excellent this most recent page is, though. Lots of stories undersell the existential crisis people might go through when they suddenly run into some crazy supernatural poo poo all at once, but Paranatural know's what's up. Here's a band of amazing wacky joke characters, but the empathy's there on the page, right along with the humor. I especially love how RJ lies on the floor mumbling about Wonder Women and starts to tear up. I bet that's how plenty of people might break down in a situation like this (especially after a long night of wandering in the woods, I guess).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 31, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I checked how many pages this chapter has been (150+). If this was a comic book that was put to print, this would be over 7 issues. Most of the time if Marvel's publishing something with an extended storyline, it's 6 issues for a story arch.

Not really stating how long this story is (I only started reading when Eightfold started the story on the train), just thought the comparison was interesting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do we know who the "her" Forge was talking about in this comic is? The only female characters who could interact with spirits in Mayview we know of are Isabel, Agent Day, Dr. Zarei, and Eightfold (rip). I guess we don't know the sex of any other spirits besides Isaac's, though. And obviously it could be someone new.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's suzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume it's the figure Forge talks about here.