Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wild and Horned Hermit 21 is finally released! In which the editor casually gives away the series' main plot twist in a manner reminiscent of that joke from Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. Not that it's really a secret at this point...

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The mystery at this point is really more like "why would an Oni become a hermit?", which could possibly be interesting I suppose.

Suika is still the best though.

sturgeon
Sep 13, 2011
I agree. Good song, good arranges.

The only good one that I was aware of prior to the subject coming up was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKgkGiBYL80

edit: this one, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAp2PcxJQM

sturgeon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 30, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 21 is finally released! In which the editor casually gives away the series' main plot twist in a manner reminiscent of that joke from Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. Not that it's really a secret at this point...

And finally things go right for Reimu for once. That was pretty sweet, especially the end.
So, was Kazen's spiel a bunch of nonsense or is everything she said legitimate somehow? I'm guessing she didn't lie so much as twist the words/story to convince Reimu?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's pretty obvious whenever Kasen lies. She's terrible at it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Part of the whole 'Oni value honesty' thing of course.

Suika was adorable this chapter.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Somewhere in the human village before Reimu's change of plans, human villagers discussed whether they should go to the Hakurei Shrine's traditional bean-throwing festival, or the one held at the mansion full of human-eating monsters and an evil, blood-sucking vampires. A surprisingly difficult decision it turns out.

That's also the second time Sakuya's just been described as lightning-fast in a manga. Feels like ZUN is trying to move her away from being a DIO rip-off homage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Somewhere in the human village before Reimu's change of plans, human villagers discussed whether they should go to the Hakurei Shrine's traditional bean-throwing festival, or the one held at the mansion full of human-eating monsters and an evil, blood-sucking vampires. A surprisingly difficult decision it turns out.

That's also the second time Sakuya's just been described as lightning-fast in a manga. Feels like ZUN is trying to move her away from being a DIO rip-off homage.

This doesn't translate well so I never bothered trying, but all the character titles in WaHH are 4 character idioms. Basically there's no ancient Chinese saying about stopping time, but there is one about going as fast as lightning. For reference, a four character idiom is something like "two birds; one stone" that has a very obvious non-literal meaning. In this case it's literally "lightning flash flint fire" but... that's obviously not what it should be translated as.

In FS all the titles have the main nouns written in English. I think ZUN has a lot of fun trying to match the titles into the theme of the work.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
How are Kasen and Komachi communicating?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

With... words? Their voices? Komachi is floating outside Kasen's window. I think they've talked like that before. There was a joke about how she planned on coming in through the window but it was too small.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Clarste posted:

With... words? Their voices? Komachi is floating outside Kasen's window. I think they've talked like that before. There was a joke about how she planned on coming in through the window but it was too small.

Oh, ok. I saw the spider lilies in the one panel and got confused and thought komachi at the river and they were talking through some sort of magic mirror.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

also what's up with ZUN always putting in something about how you will go to hell for committing suicide in his works

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Well Yuyuko didn't, so :shrug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She's essentially stuck in purgatory because of some loophole about her corpse being used to seal the tree. The Netherworld is a kind of waiting room for souls to forget their past lives before they move on the next step. Or... something like that. Good little ghosts get reborn, and bad little ghosts get reborn in Hell, which is an actual physical place that just happens to be unpleasant to live in. Except... it's also full of vengeful spirits, which aren't actually ghosts but more like the manifestations of negative emotions...? But they also need to be punished for their sins, which is why Komachi was complaining about Kasen killing them.

Okay, maybe I don't understand this as well as I thought I did.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

also what's up with ZUN always putting in something about how you will go to hell for committing suicide in his works

Komachi's just a jerk and doesn't want more work to not do. Suicide is also generally a sin in a lot of traditional religious perspectives and Gensokyo isn't exactly representative of modern times.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Look Komachi thinks suicide is a good conversation opener, don't judge.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Heck, I agree, suicide is bad.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Kasen you are going to die if you keep that up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Isn't she already kinda infamous in the fandom for constantly chowing down?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Not that I'm aware of, unless they're playing off the joke that hermits are only supposed to subsist of dew. Then again, that could just because she's not a (proper) hermit to begin with.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

sturgeon posted:

I agree. Good song, good arranges.

The only good one that I was aware of prior to the subject coming up was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKgkGiBYL80

edit: this one, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAp2PcxJQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1eEFWU-Y6c

YEEHAW

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Still the best one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And WaHH 22 as well. Reader link if it's up yet.

In which we see the true state of kappa science.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That was cute, if bittersweet. Of all the things in the world to be forgotten I didn't expect a seal.

Say, what's up with the shape of the ravine? It almost looks like it has a marble tile floor of sorts. When was the first time it showed up in stories anyway? I recall seeing that shape in fanstuff as early as 2010 I think.

So, salt deficiencies eh? I didn't know butts were so rich in sodium.

If you don't mind me asking, an acquaintance mentioned an untranslated chapter involving a story about rats. What publication and chapter would that be?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pretty sure the ravine first appeared in the three fairies manga when they decided to go be cave explorers.

fake-edit: Checked the wiki, it first showed up in Strange and Bright Nature Deity, yeah.

real-edit: drat, the glorious return of bookie kappa on page 17. Can't wait for her own spin-off.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 1, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

HGH posted:

If you don't mind me asking, an acquaintance mentioned an untranslated chapter involving a story about rats. What publication and chapter would that be?
The next Forbidden Scrollery one, chapter 20, I think. I'll probably start on that next.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

real-edit: drat, the glorious return of bookie kappa on page 17. Can't wait for her own spin-off.

Oddly enough, most of the generic kappa in WaHH are recurring characters. They probably have more canon appearances than Flandre.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

HGH posted:

Say, what's up with the shape of the ravine? It almost looks like it has a marble tile floor of sorts. When was the first time it showed up in stories anyway? I recall seeing that shape in fanstuff as early as 2010 I think.

I feel like I've seen that ravine before in one of the 3 Fairies chapters.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Woo! I beat the drum lord.

Click for Replay

Maybe next time I'll clear it with a non-baby shot type.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HellCopter posted:

I feel like I've seen that ravine before in one of the 3 Fairies chapters.

It pops up fairly regularly. Apparently the earliest mention is 2007, in both the Fairy Manga and as a stage in SWR.

It's described in text in CiLR, where they claim that it's a natural rock formation caused by lava flows a long time ago. It gets its name from the hexagonal patterns resembling a turtle shell (Genbu being the name of the legendary turtle thing). Also Nitori's stage in HM.

We used to translate it as "Genbu Marsh".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 1, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ryza posted:

Woo! I beat the drum lord.

Click for Replay

Maybe next time I'll clear it with a non-baby shot type.

i'm proud of you ryza

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I see a lot of music circles get posted but somehow Zytokine rarely seems to come up. This should be rectified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ajXuZZ0hE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGC-YqGQjLE

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008

Clarste posted:

It pops up fairly regularly. Apparently the earliest mention is 2007, in both the Fairy Manga and as a stage in SWR.

It's described in text in CiLR, where they claim that it's a natural rock formation caused by lava flows a long time ago. It gets its name from the hexagonal patterns resembling a turtle shell (Genbu being the name of the legendary turtle thing). Also Nitori's stage in HM.

We used to translate it as "Genbu Marsh".

yeah it's like the Giant's Causeway

it might be modeled after Takachiho gorge on Kyushu, where there are similar formations.

tupac holocron fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 3, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

could ichirin beat sakuya in a fight

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Yes. The opposite is also true.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Does her time stopping powers even have a limit?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Her super bar.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The games basically make no sense at all if you assume that the characters can do what it says they can do. The excuse they give are the spellcard rules that level the playing field. For example, timeout cards come from the opponent being literally invincible but you win anyway if you can show how good you are at dodging. Also the rule about no Impossible Spellcards unless the opponent has some cheating technique to make a fun puzzle game.

No explanation for why the fighting games have their own slightly different rules though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

gently caress, here I am making a JoJo joke, and I only now realise the reason behind Ichirin's anger mechanic in Hopeless Masquerade is Jotaro's famous "There's one reason you lost: You pissed me off" line from Stardust Crusaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

gently caress, here I am making a JoJo joke, and I only now realise the reason behind Ichirin's anger mechanic in Hopeless Masquerade is Jotaro's famous "There's one reason you lost: You pissed me off" line from Stardust Crusaders.

Ichirin and Unzan, rocketing up those popularity polls.