Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am just looking to buy the three cd version digitally. I already bought the two cd version but would gladly buy it twice. I just don't want two physical sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I really can't wait to hear these tracks live

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:eyepop: :wth:

Also if I ever get a chance to see DTP ever again I really hope they open with From Sleep Awake. Holy poo poo that'd be an experience.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Has it already been mentioned that Captain Spectacular is apparently voiced by Chris Jericho?

Nevermind, fount it mentioned 5 or 6 pages back.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
drat the no dialogue version of Dark Matters is pretty much amazing.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Zalgo posted:

So I guess there is nowhere that I can (legally) download this? ITunes and Amazon both don't have it.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

Rusty Kettle posted:

So I guess there is nowhere that I can (legally) download this? ITunes and Amazon both don't have it.

As far as I know, no. It was only part of the digipack version.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on Spotify at some point soon. They always seem to get deluxe and other alternate versions after a week or so.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Coming to earth

Coming to earth

Coming to earth ah-ah!

Overproduced and muddy but still...it's Ziltoid man!

So happy even if its underwhelming me compared to the original!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Zalgo posted:

Wandering Eye all loving day. Definitely my favorite track on the album.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Joining in on the love for the no dialogue version of Dark Matters. Have a feeling this is going to be my default way to listen to the album, so good.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Chocobo posted:

I'd be curious to hear a mashup of the two.

Your wish is my command (I didn't make this)

edit: I way prefer the Devin version of Fallout, and I am the biggest Anneke fanboy ever.

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 28, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stoat posted:

Your wish is my command (I didn't make this)

edit: I way prefer the Devin version of Fallout, and I am the biggest Anneke fanboy ever.

When I started watching that retinal circus thing on youtube, I thought she was madonna.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So the rep from Northern Music listed on the pledge page as the person to contact has stopped responding after I asked about never receiving my reward. He initially responded within a day stating "I know for a fact we sent it twice" but when I asked why they would have Devin draw my reward twice and send it twice when I had only reported it as missing last week, all of a sudden he went silent.

Anyone else here still waiting on their stuff?

edit: 4 minutes after I tweet Devin asking if there's someone else I can work with from Northern, he tweets

Devin Townsend @dvntownsend · 3m 3 minutes ago
Hi guys, I will personally be taking over the pledge thing in a week or so. I'll sort it out. Thanks again for your patience.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 28, 2014

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Joining in on the love for the no dialogue version of Dark Matters. Have a feeling this is going to be my default way to listen to the album, so good.

Yeah, I really love it with the dialogue, but it would definitely get old to listen to it like that again and again, especially the narration. No dialogue is the way to go for repeat listens.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've enjoyed Z2 a lot more with the Raw CD. I think without hearing the dialogue version, though, a lot wouldn't make sense. It's not as easy to follow the story. Still, there are moments when I just want to hear the music (mainly guitars) but the drone of voices and choir are constant and predominate, which also makes it hard for me to follow the lyrics. War Princess is a lot of fun and I love the riff after the "I'M YOUR QUEEEEEN!" part.

I haven't gone through Sky Blue again, but I'm wanting to once I get my fix over with on Z2. I don't know that I'll be able to see his upcoming show as it's on a weeknight requiring me to miss work. I'm curious what he'll be playing and since it'll be one of the first shows in this tour maybe I'll just have to go see.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

AzureSkys posted:

I've listened to pretty much everything from Ocean Machine to ZTO basically on repeat since first discovering DTP stuff. I listened to Ki, Addicted, Decon, and CoC a ton when first released, then not really since. I only listened to Ghost a few times.

I listened to Epicloud one and a half times and Epiclouder once. Nothing has really set well with me for continued listening since ZTO, though I appreciate what has come after. Devin's changed a lot over the years and his music reflects it, which is great because it means he's making exactly what he wants rather than forcing something. For me, though, it lacks something I can't quite explain that the previous works had.

All I can think of is the difference between Star Wars IV-VI and I-III. Both trilogies are huge productions, but one has a notably different tone and impact than the other. I feel that things change once an artist has broadened their talent so much that they can do anything that comes to mind compared to working with a bit more limitation in the earlier times of a discovery/experimentation. It's how I've felt about all my favorite musicians as they've progressed and I find myself disliking their most recent works, especially if they had a notable shift.

I kind of agree with you. I think his earlier works have an acute sense of urgency and earnestness. IMO everything up until AE sounds like it was brought in from another universe, with that album being the first to feel like it was derivative of his earlier stuff (namely OM).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They announced you can buy the album now in best buys, cheaper and earlier than pre orders.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

d3rt posted:

They announced you can buy the album now in best buys, cheaper and earlier than pre orders.

No kidding, the one right by my work has it in stock for $8.99. Might have to drop by on the way home.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

yeah, but you won't get a badass Z2 t-shirt. Got an email that my preorder shipped today :D

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

The more I listen to Sky Blue the more I fall in love with it. Ranks up there as top level Devin

Prior to releasing Synchestra, Dev referred to it as an album full of 'blisteringly heavy lullabies' and I totally get that feeling on this album too with many of the songs.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

21 Hoot Salute posted:

The more I listen to Sky Blue the more I fall in love with it. Ranks up there as top level Devin

Definitely. It's weird, I've had the opposite reaction to these albums than I thought. I expected Sky Blue to be a thing I'd listen to once or twice but mostly ignore in favor of ZILTOID 2 OMG. Turns out Sky Blue is my favorite thing of his I've heard in years and Ziltoid is massively disappointing.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Agreed. Feels I don't need my cup of coffee in the morning when I listen to Universal Flame on my way to work in the morning.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Dark Matters has some good riffs but Sky Blue is the standout of the two. Fallout, Midnight Sun, Universal Flame, Sky Blue, and Before We Die are my favorites of the lot. Midnight Sun feels like it could've dropped out of Synchestra to me. Silent Militia is decent, really there are only a few which haven't really clicked, or have some undesirable elements mixed in with an otherwise enjoyable song, like I don't like the chorus of Rejoice but enjoy the verses.

Dark Matters generally feels like a bunch of (really sweet) riffs mixed together for a musical. Only a few songs like From Sleep Awake, Deathray, or March of the Poozers feel like individual songs that can stand alone outside of the whole raw. I've only listened to the raw cut once though.

I did take a chance to go back and listen to Epiclouder and I'm amazed how many good songs are on here. I must've only listened to it once when it came out, but now I want to throw three quarters of it onto my playlist. FWIW I didn't know there was a song on Ghost named Dark Matters either.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Both albums are really growing on me and I realize I was a bit hasty in judging them. They're quite busy, so it takes a few listens to pick things apart. Feel the same, Fina, about Sky Blue as there's just a few moments that I don't care for but like it as a whole. Now I hear a lot of throwbacks to Ocean Machine, Infinity and Synchestra, too. Also, I get a kind of 80s/early 90s vibe from it, but in a totally awesome way.

I'm really loving Z2 and realize it's an entirely separate beast from ZTO, not a sequel or continuation. Went through the raw version a few times, then back to the full disk and am enjoying it a lot more now that I know the songs better. It actually flows pretty well as a show production, not so much as a music album that I'm more accustomed to and expected from Devin. He's grown to be hugely talented in composing pretty elaborate stuff which is kind of jarring at first when coming from his previous works (as Decon showed).

I've done the same with my other favorite group, Katatonia's last few albums. At first I wasn't sure I cared for them. Then a few more listens let me break the songs apart and hear what's going on better and now they're huge loves of mine. I'll need to revisit Epicloud/er and do the same. I know there were parts I liked. I kind of feel that Sky Blue is what I was wanting to get when Epicloud was announced but it felt empty. I'm bad at using music as a sort of emotional crutch, too, so if it doesn't fit for where I am at the time I write it off too quickly.

I know I like an album when I get excited for parts that are coming up, then those parts make excited for the next part and I find myself turning the volume up more and more. I'm getting that now from both albums.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AzureSkys posted:

I'm really loving Z2 and realize it's an entirely separate beast from ZTO, not a sequel or continuation.

But that's... exactly what it is...

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I mean in the same level as production, sound and style. I was wanting more ZTO and disappointed at first that Z2 wasn't quite that and it's taken a few listens to appreciate what it is instead.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been enjoying listening to both albums this week, but if I had to choose one I'd probably go with Dark Matters.

One little gripe: Is it just me or does it sound like the vocals could have been turned up just a notch on both albums? I'm having a real hard time hearing the lyrics through all of the stuff that's going on in the tracks.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm stuck at work all day, and the local wifi blocks ITunes- are there any legit sites that are streaming the double album anywhere?

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Immanentized posted:

I'm stuck at work all day, and the local wifi blocks ITunes- are there any legit sites that are streaming the double album anywhere?

It's on Spotify.

edit: Actually I think you can only shuffle if you don't pay so that's probably a terrible option, at least for Dark Matters.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 30, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I sent this to a friend. My thoughts on a fourth or fifth listen of Z2.

quote:

Okay, listening to it again now.

From Sleep Awake starts out so loving good. Ziltoid saying ‘Yesssss’. And then it just meanders into nothing this sort of fog of voices and indistinguishable guitar, and that bugs the hell out of me. Like, it sounded like it was going to be some kind of concert Ziltoid was going to give. And then just, nothing.

Ziltoidian Empire. First half is mostly forgettable, but then that wonderful tribal chant in the second half (a-litty-litty-all-all-litty-all) is fantastic. Of course you can only really hear it on the dialogue-free version. I love: “Hmmm, well. Poop!”

War Princess. The War Princess' speaking parts remind me so much of Kristin Chenoweth in Wicked, and the whole introduction reminds me of King’s Quest, for some reason. The kind of hackneyed dialogue, the mixing on the voices, the lilting background music. Dominique Persi knocks it out of the park, and I love her voice. But again, the mixing kills the end of the song. Right where she screams, “for I’m your Queen”, it just becomes mud. Addicted! reference: “everybody sees, everybody’s numbered”.

Deathray is fine. I love the Ziltoidia Attax! leitmotif. It’s some kind of Rob Zombie-sounding rhythm at some points. Still too overmixed. Oh man, almost heard a single guitar right there at the end, but it’s been narrated over.

March of the Poozers is fantastic. Solid rhythm, solid theme, wonderful moments scattered throughout it. It feels like a Tim Burton/Danny Elfman showtune. I can bang the hell outta my head to this every time. “Watching, waiting” was stuck in my head all day; it’s one of the few moments in the album where it gains this sort of “this is Important” immensity to it. Love Devin’s singing, and Persi’s part is fantastic. Goes on a bit too long.

I find myself waiting for Wandering Eye. At least the beginning. It’s very alien and that first ‘Say it loud!’ comes out of nowhere and just sets the tone so fantastically. But then it meanders into nothing.

Earth. The first 60 seconds is perfect. The quintessential ’space opera’ sound to me. And then, the loving choir again. It sounds like Maynard James Keenan is singing ‘Who’s the maker, who’s the man’. The lawyer thing is funny, just because Ziltoid sounds so out of place.

Ziltoid Goes Home is basically forgettable. I really want to love ‘TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT FROM—‘ but it’s just surrounded by indistinguishable noise on either side. I feel the most disconnected from the album here. It feels like it’s gone on without me. There’s something very majestic-sounding here but I can’t tell what it is.

Through the Wormhole. All of Ziltoid’s dialogue is wonderful. “We have. The same. Mother.” “Woah!” … “And unbelievably cheesy!” … “Woah, what the heck!” … “Argh, so lame!”

And then the last song is just… an Epicloud B-side.

I’m just sick of the choir everywhere, the fog of voices and not even being able to hear guitars in every song. So, I do like it. But I wish it were less muddy. It’s so overmixed. I wanted a real, piercing, lonely space opera. The organ and fuzzed guitar right at the beginning of Earth, which sounds so much like Solar Wind. I wanted so much more of that. I don’t mind the wall-of-sound approach, but a whole album of it is just exhausting.

Also, Captain Spectacular is the wrestler Chris Jericho. He killed it. I want more of him.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Jericho did a goddamn fine job as Captain Spectacular and it was starting to drive me nuts trying to figure out who that was. Of course, I should have been able to read the liner notes and figure it out myself (theoretically) if they bothered shipping my pre-order instead of me having to just grabbing a digital copy off of Amazon.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

JGTheSpy posted:

It's on Spotify.

edit: Actually I think you can only shuffle if you don't pay so that's probably a terrible option, at least for Dark Matters.

For anyone else like me who didn't find it right away: It's listed under Devin Townsend Project unlike the original which is under Devin Townsend

Link that may or may not work: https://play.spotify.com/album/2iYw6R8T4DycaeS3LUz575

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

quote:

Right where she screams, “for I’m your Queen”, it just becomes mud.
:monocle:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just want to say how impressed I am with RVP's drumming over the course of all these albums. I really love both these albums now and was wrong with my first impressions.

And with that, Ki came out 5 years ago, right? So there's been basically 10 quality albums, some with huge production logistics, and 2 DVD concert releases that were also huge productions all supported by World tours in that span. Really hope he gets some good rest after this tour. Decided to make sure I go to the upcoming show. I'd like to tell him thanks in person again.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I kind of agree actually - it's a great moment but that riff at least needs to be more distinct. I've always been fine with Devin's production before but Z2 is seriously muddy and it loses some of its impact because of it.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
:psyduck:

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

So I was taking a friend of mine home one night and played Z2 for him. A little of Blue Sky, a little of Dark Matters. He was really into it, and I was wondering of I could get some recommendations for some more Devin Townsend stuff for him. The thing he really liked was the production, and how vocals and instruments mix together if that helps. I think of the two he liked Blue Sky more, but he also likes the funnier parts of Dark Matters.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AzureSkys posted:

Just want to say how impressed I am with RVP's drumming over the course of all these albums. I really love both these albums now and was wrong with my first impressions.

And with that, Ki came out 5 years ago, right? So there's been basically 10 quality albums, some with huge production logistics, and 2 DVD concert releases that were also huge productions all supported by World tours in that span. Really hope he gets some good rest after this tour. Decided to make sure I go to the upcoming show. I'd like to tell him thanks in person again.

This is not a bitch or gripe at your comment specifically, but I fail to see how working hard on an album, world tours etc are any harder than anyone elses job. This goes for actors, musicians etc. Henry Rollins once said that being on the road with Black Flag was as tough as any entertainment gig out there, but still wasn't as hard as the summer he spent helping build a house.

I'm also not saying it isn't a hard job, and he is busy, but really, the only difference between him, a stock broker, a gold miner, or a Janitor is he has a creative outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I haven't really dug anything Devy's done in years but I don't think being prolific, creative and on the road constantly with all the pressure of merchandising, being 'on' and having other people depend on you for their jobs is as easy as you think it is.

• Locked thread