Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which of the Painkiller games are worth grabbing? I already have H&D.

None if you own Hell and Damnation.

HaD launched with a "best of" compilation of Painkiller Black maps, which ended up being something like half of them. Over time it's since added back in remastered versions of the other maps, up to the point it has all the good/great maps of Painkiller Black, but none of the really terrible loving maps ( there were some really terrible loving maps in Painkiller Black, don't lie goons ). Rather then leave the game 4-5 levels shorter then Painkiller Black, they just made a few entirely new maps that are all on par with the best maps from the original game and threw them in there.

Just stick with HaD, it's now the best Painkiller as long as you own the DLC ( outside of the multiplayer/overhead mode one? ). Buying Painkiller Black will literally just give you something you already own, but worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
If you people are tired of gifting people Bad Rats I can recommend Legendary for that purpose. Christ that was awful, and now it's on sale for 50 eurocents.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

I'm about to start playing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, is any of the classes more fun than the others? Or overpowered? Going just by the looks I'd probably pick the Thaumaturge but I'd rather not play something that sucks later on.

e: and difficulty? Should I stick to normal? I see increased drop rates on higher difficulties :swoon:

Normal is pretty straightforward until near the end, when they quietly introduce charging mobs that will one-shot you if you haven't buffed your health much or aren't good at dodging.

Thoughtless posted:

If you people are tired of gifting people Bad Rats I can recommend Legendary for that purpose. Christ that was awful, and now it's on sale for 50 eurocents.

I bought that for a couple of bucks. There are few nerd things that I am more ashamed of.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Thinking about getting The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Sir, You Are Being Hunted. How are they?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rookersh posted:

HaD launched with a "best of" compilation of Painkiller Black maps, which ended up being something like half of them. Over time it's since added back in remastered versions of the other maps, up to the point it has all the good/great maps of Painkiller Black, but none of the really terrible loving maps ( there were some really terrible loving maps in Painkiller Black, don't lie goons ). Rather then leave the game 4-5 levels shorter then Painkiller Black, they just made a few entirely new maps that are all on par with the best maps from the original game and threw them in there.

Just stick with HaD, it's now the best Painkiller as long as you own the DLC ( outside of the multiplayer/overhead mode one? ). Buying Painkiller Black will literally just give you something you already own, but worse.
So HaD just took out the Ice Bridge level? Because that's the only one I found to be awful, though I never did play the levels that you need to play on higher difficulties to unlock. The really lovely boss fights were the thing that dragged down the original Painkiller, but thankfully you can just God Mode through them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JFC posted:

Thinking about getting The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Sir, You Are Being Hunted. How are they?

Sir, You Are Being Hunted was pretty good for a while but I personally don't think it was entertaining enough to sustain the whole length of the game. I'd say pass on it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I hate the interface they're using for the Hallowe'en sale. No obvious way to filter Early Access crap, and if you accidentally click the wrong spot, it randomizes all seventeen pages again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a shame the Dead Space 3 thread is in the archives because I have been playing lots of it (see avatar). It is also not on Steam because of EA and is instead on Origin but there rightly is no Origin thread so I have nowhere to talk about my sweet deer head physics object adventures.

I love you deer head, you're my only friend.

Also I unlocked Retro Mode and it's actually sorta incredible looking?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 31, 2014

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Which dlcs do you recommend for HaD?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Bieeardo posted:

Ugh, I hate the interface they're using for the Hallowe'en sale. No obvious way to filter Early Access crap, and if you accidentally click the wrong spot, it randomizes all seventeen pages again.

It also appears that some games are part of the sale but don't show up in the list, such as the Anomaly series: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294750/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224420/

afterfall for a buck yo

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

It's a shame the Dead Space 3 thread is in the archives because I have been playing lots of it (see avatar). It is also not on Steam because of EA and is instead on Origin but there rightly is no Origin thread so I have nowhere to talk about my sweet deer head physics object adventures.

I've been replaying Dead Space 1 and 2 for the past week. Surprisingly, I still enjoy both of them immensely, maybe even more than at launch. Never did get Dead Space 3 due to Origin and other games taking my time. Is it worth getting? Just beat Dead Space 2 today and looking to do a hardcore run.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ryuga Death posted:

I've been replaying Dead Space 1 and 2 for the past week. Surprisingly, I still enjoy both of them immensely, maybe even more than at launch. Never did get Dead Space 3 due to Origin and other games taking my time. Is it worth getting?

No.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Man, the bunker there on the 10th hole looks like a bitch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ryuga Death posted:

I've been replaying Dead Space 1 and 2 for the past week. Surprisingly, I still enjoy both of them immensely, maybe even more than at launch. Never did get Dead Space 3 due to Origin and other games taking my time. Is it worth getting? Just beat Dead Space 2 today and looking to do a hardcore run.

Yes, absolutely. It's only 20 bucks on Origin. Dead Space 3 is not a horror game by any stretch of the imagination and the writing is garbage (again, see avatar), but it's hilarious garbage and the gameplay is still very fun. It's very separated from the other two in terms of tone.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 31, 2014

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Ryuga Death posted:

Sure. It emphasises action over horror, but I enjoyed it much more than 2.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3 is a very good and fun game guys.

Also cmon after 2 (3 if you played extraction) games are you really still scared of the necromorphs or do you want to make crazy rear end guns to blow them up with. poo poo I'd be down to do some co-op if there was interest.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 31, 2014

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Yes, absolutely. It's only 20 bucks on Origin. Dead Space 3 is not a horror game by any stretch of the imagination and the writing is garbage (again, see avatar), but it's hilarious garbage and the gameplay is still very fun. It's very separated from the other two in terms of tone.

Ha, I forgot that I already have DS3 thanks to the EA Humble Bundle a while back. DS2 was already silly and had garbage writing for silly action stuff, which is fine. Is the DLC campaign, Awakened, worth getting?

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
A few people have asked, but so far no responses. Surely when I do it, it'll work though, right? Elminage Gothic is on sale, but it had some issues at release. Did it get fixed up and made worth playing?

E: In the interest of bribing someone to answer, I'll mention that the 66% coupon most people got for Monster Loves You will stack with the discount already on, so you get it for 1.15.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I was thinking about getting DS3, never played 1 and only part of 2. Should I get that DS bundle on Steam first? Or would I be given the backstory with DS3?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I was wondering what your avatar was...

edit: My first guess was an Afterfall Insanity avatar so I guess I wasn't too far off.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

HogX posted:

I was thinking about getting DS3, never played 1 and only part of 2. Should I get that DS bundle on Steam first? Or would I be given the backstory with DS3?
Not terribly much of it. You don't need it to enjoy the game, but since 3 is the worst of them anyway you may as well play them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From what I've always heard to make Dead Space 3 interesting you need to play it in co-op.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is The Fall any good? It seemed interesting but I've heard absolutely nothing about it.

Accordion Man posted:

From what I've always heard to make Dead Space 3 interesting you need to play it in co-op.

This is true, and it's a blast.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Been playing Depth its a solid game sharks are a little op. But the game is well made, good controls,fast paced, neat concept. Its getting released next week any goons into arcadey death match games should consider it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Is The Fall any good? It seemed interesting but I've heard absolutely nothing about it.

The Fall is cool but it's only part 1 of a planned trilogy so who knows if they'll finish it. I like that someone brought back Blackthorne/Flashback combat though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Fall is cool but it's only part 1 of a planned trilogy so who knows if they'll finish it. I like that someone brought back Blackthorne/Flashback combat though.

Don't let this discourage anyone, though. It is entirely self-contained and there's no cliffhanger ending.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ryuga Death posted:

Ha, I forgot that I already have DS3 thanks to the EA Humble Bundle a while back. DS2 was already silly and had garbage writing for silly action stuff, which is fine. Is the DLC campaign, Awakened, worth getting?

You probably should skip it because the ending is absolutely laughable and it reads like a "what happened after the end???" fanfiction of Dead Space 3 which already reads like fanfiction of Dead Space 2. There are some cool things but you're mostly trekking through locations that you've already been through but with a new coat of paint so imo it's not worth the money.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

JFC posted:

I'm going to assume you've already played Crimes and Punishments. Testament is not nearly as good as Crimes and Punishments. The detective and deduction aspects are pretty fun, but they share the gameplay stage with some frustrating puzzles and pixel hunting sequences. They also get dropped near the end and it becomes a bit of a slog with more puzzles. The last half of the game does not hold up to the first half, which I found more fun.

The story is pretty compelling though, and if you like Sherlock and Watson's characters in C&P you'll like them in Testament too.

It's a game I found interesting enough to play through to the end, but I'll never play it again.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Chime in as well and say Dead Space 3 is a blast if you can play it co op with somebody.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
drat, I was hoping Alien Isolation might get a slight discount in the sale, but no such luck :sigh:.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This is true, and it's a blast.

The Fall goes from interesting sci-fi plot to horrible pixel hunting in barely lit rooms really quickly and ends on a cliffhanger.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat, I was hoping Alien Isolation might get a slight discount in the sale, but no such luck :sigh:.

Hey, at least it's listed on the sale page even though it's not on sale. That's almost like a discount!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

So HaD just took out the Ice Bridge level? Because that's the only one I found to be awful, though I never did play the levels that you need to play on higher difficulties to unlock. The really lovely boss fights were the thing that dragged down the original Painkiller, but thankfully you can just God Mode through them.

Ice Bridge, Military Base, Nuclear Silo, and a few others I forget? They brought back versions of Stalingrad and a few others that are actually really well done for free last I checked.

Laksa posted:

Which dlcs do you recommend for HaD?

Meat Night, Zombie Bunker, and City Critters are all the DLC that add back in levels. Blood Sea is the all new levels they made to make up for the fact they couldn't "fix" a few of the problamatic Black levels, so instead just made their own, they are pretty fun and add a new gun that works really well in Painkiller ( a cannonball launcher that's also shoots out aoe ice blasts that freeze dudes. So you can aoe freeze dudes, then hit them with the cannonball to make them shatter. ).

Acquire Currency! posted:

Dead Space 3 is a very good and fun game guys.

Also cmon after 2 (3 if you played extraction) games are you really still scared of the necromorphs or do you want to make crazy rear end guns to blow them up with. poo poo I'd be down to do some co-op if there was interest.

Dead Space has never been scary. I just don't like 3 because it keeps reusing the same assets over and over again, all challenge is gone because you can make super cannons right off the bat, the story is trash, and it's almost entirely fetch quests. 2 was the best game in the series in my book, and I had to force myself to finish 3.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Croccers posted:

A new title is up in EA that has an interesting idea called Clandestine
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290530
Looks like it's a spy/stealth sneaky game but it's co-op. But the co-op partner is the Hacker in your ear-piece. $50 for a two-pack though? Eugggh.....

Unknown studio , lofty idea, expensive early access? Yeah no thanks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Croccers posted:

A new title is up in EA that has an interesting idea called Clandestine
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290530
Looks like it's a spy/stealth sneaky game but it's co-op. But the co-op partner is the Hacker in your ear-piece. $50 for a two-pack though? Eugggh.....

There's one review for the game and that one says it fails to launch. But it's a thumb's up. :shrug:

gently caress Early Access.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

There's one review for the game and that one says it fails to launch. But it's a thumb's up. :shrug:

gently caress Early Access.

Well you don't want to offend someone on the internet with a bad review now, they might get upset :ohdear:.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
FYI Gods Will Be Watching is a good game, it's a game where you go into it with the best of intentions and slowly watch as everything fucks up around you in high-tensity situations. Kind of a "see how unprepared you really are" thing. You're really not supposed to "win." It's just that nerds on the internet went in expecting it to be an adventure game with the situations as "puzzles" to solve and then got mad when that wasn't the case.

And even then they patched in a "puzzle mode" that makes the game into just that since it launched. It's great, buy it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'm also working my way through the first two dead space games right now. Call me crazy, but I'd say I prefer the first one to the second one so far (I'm midway through chapter 5 in DS2). The first way was more claustrophobic and tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

FYI Gods Will Be Watching is a good game, it's a game where you go into it with the best of intentions and slowly watch as everything fucks up around you in high-tensity situations. Kind of a "see how unprepared you really are" thing. You're really not supposed to "win." It's just that nerds on the internet went in expecting it to be an adventure game with the situations as "puzzles" to solve and then got mad when that wasn't the case.

And even then they patched in a "puzzle mode" that makes the game into just that since it launched. It's great, buy it.

Eh, I'd be fine if it was just "fumble alone in the dark and get hosed" simulator 2014. I was mad because the puzzles had a 99% chance of you losing right at the end, entirely off of RNG. As in there wasn't an actual scripted path through each mission, so if you got unlucky you could get a legitimately unwinnable scenario, even if you chose the "correct" answer every time. And since it was always random, you couldn't learn what you did wrong to fix it the next time.

So instead you just did the same torture sequence over and over again for a good 1-2 hours until you finally brute forced your way past it, and surprise, here's another one. Got annoying fast.

• Locked thread