Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
from popbitch:

"I see Jim Murphy wants to run Labour in Scotland. I pissed next to him once, when he was NUS president. Had a quick look, obviously. It looked fairly long, not especially girthy, but quite a meaty foreskin. More attractive than his face anyway.

"So now you know. I always wondered when that knowledge might be useful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah, if Anas didn't resign and Murphy won, they'd have both deputy and leader at Westminster and have to grab a random shadow cabinet member to debate with Sturgeon. Probably not a good thing shortly prior to double election years and I doubt it would be popular with the membership, so Anas being taken out of the equation takes away a big reason to not vote for Murphy.

I saw mutterings about Kezia as a deputy candidate for Murphy (she did make noises in one of the papers about "oooh not me for leader! I'm more a deputy sort of person! And one of them should definitely be at Holyrood! But I'm pointedly not naming names!"). He's also got Jenny Marra on his campaign team.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Castle Chat- I live in a house with a tower attached to it, its where I sleep. Me and my cat take it in turns to be the fairy tale princess.

Am I to understand there are people who don't have a tower on their property? How ever do you cope?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is it made of ivory?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

sebzilla posted:

Is it made of ivory?

No, stone. I plan to put up a flagpole and fly an anarchist flag from it.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

"ed miliband is currently drinking something through a straw. this somehow seems to say a lot." - a guest at the labour gala dinner.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

General China posted:

No, stone. I plan to put up a flagpole and fly an anarchist flag from it.

Do you need a permit to do that?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Two in one day my body can't handle this

quote:

Times / YouGov Scotland gen elec poll

SNP: 43% (47 seats)
Labour: 27% (10 seats)
C: 15% (1 seat)
LD: 4% (1 seat)

1,078 adults Oct 27-30

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

(Happily this idea was dismissed, though all parties later adopted the idea for their own leadership)

Hahaha. By the way, would anyone be interested in a thread exclusively about Scottish politics for November?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
No, don't even bother. Trust me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qua-2RkMFKM

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

Hahaha. By the way, would anyone be interested in a thread exclusively about Scottish politics for November?

I like the sound of this.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Imagine a thread where Coohoolin and Spacky Hyena just echo chamber about buying castles for injured hedgehogs. Forever.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The last Scotpol thread got closed.

Besides I thought you lot didn't want us to leave.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I missed nuclear war chat, but when I was looking up something about the Lindow Woman earlier, I came across this article about a doctor offering to stockpile cyanide pills for anybody who might want one after the bombs dropped. I'm really pretty glad I didn't have to grow up in the 80s.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm happy with a Scotpol thread as long as Pissflaps and Regarde Aduck aren't allowed to post.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I'm happy with a Scotpol thread as long as Pissflaps and Regarde Aduck aren't allowed to post.

How about I don't post in it if you don't post in it?

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

twoot posted:

Interesting sub-sample result from this and the last poll: apparently Labour are polling even worse (<20%) in the poorest areas of Scotland.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

twoot posted:

That's a more sensible poll, I can't see Labour getting any lower than 25% in a General Election, and that would need the worst possible campaign.

Looking at the tables from the IPSOS/MORI poll (and admitting that crossbreaks aren't particularly useful, but they aren't going to poll in retail about this); it seems that SNP support is pretty much equal between Men and Women which is pretty interesting. There isn't a "how did you vote in the independence referendum?" crossbreak which would be pretty interesting, but you can't expect to get everything!

e: Even as someone who voted Yes in the referendum, I didn't see a huge problem with pissflaps' posting. It perhaps was a little blunt at times; but you'd rather have that than a boring circlejerk that isn't at all interesting to participate in or read.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 30, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

UKMT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qua-2RkMFKM

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Imagine a thread where Coohoolin and Spacky Hyena just echo chamber about buying castles for injured hedgehogs. Forever.

Imagine that thread but with pissflaps constantly calling them on their bullshit and you get the scottish independence thread, widely regarded as the best thread in D&D for balanced, reasonable debate and lack of echo.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah a separate Scotpol thread would be good. There's plenty of stuff going on at the minute to make it worthwhile.

But I also find the idea of a castle for hedgehogs rather cute, so what do I know?

XMNN posted:

I missed nuclear war chat, but when I was looking up something about the Lindow Woman earlier, I came across this article about a doctor offering to stockpile cyanide pills for anybody who might want one after the bombs dropped. I'm really pretty glad I didn't have to grow up in the 80s.

For someone who was only born at the tail end of the 80s, I seem to have a phenomenal amount of nuclear angst. Like, how many people of that age plan fallout shelters in their halls of residence? Convinced that being given Dr Seuss' Butter Battle Book as a small child was the cause of it.

Annoying thing about that poll is it still gives the Tories one seat! I want them out again like in 97 :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
In other news, it seems North Sea Oil has reached negative optimism. Businesses seem to think the North Sea just isn't worth the investment anymore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-29842707

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

XMNN posted:

I once went out with a woman living in dublin. She had a bottle of iodine pills kept by her bedside. She told me they were issued by the government and they had to take them when windscale went bang.

Growing up in the 80s was the best ever. The music was better, the riots were better and the drugs were better.

We were scared of nuclear war and terrorist attacks were just a minor annoyance, it built character.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The ScotPol thread should be a permanent institution, as close as federalism as it is possible to get.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think there should be a vote to decide whether Scotland receives its own independent thread.

Aug 4, 2010

JFairfax posted:

I think there should be a vote to decide whether Scotland receives its own independent thread.

Only Scottish people should be allowed to vote.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JFairfax posted:

I'm sure the silent majority will keep scotland part of the UKMT.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
An independent scottish thread simply wouldn't survive without regular contributions from the ukmt.

It's just not viable

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think you'll find Scottish posters provide posting quality subsidies to the wider UKMT posting content.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I think you'll find Scottish posters provide posting quality subsidies to the wider UKMT posting content.

Surely anybody posting in the thread is a scottish poster?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I vote for a lancashire thread. Lets get devolution going.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Hedgehog castles are a UK-wide issue, and if Scotpol leaves with all its hedgehog castle voters it'd doom the rest of the UKMT to a plague of dead hogs.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
All the hedgehogs are now hibernating.

I haven't seen a hedgehog for a month. I've stopped feeding them.

I miss hedgehogs. They are the best. They have amazing extending legs.

General China fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 31, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Oh good Caroline Lucas on QT saying that renewables have been more reliable than the UKs nuclear industry lately. Maybe this has something to do with us not building any new nuclear plants since 1995 and having ones just about running that we finished in the 70s.

And a woman going OH NO ATOMS. ugh.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

General China posted:

All the hedgehogs are now hibernating.

I haven't seen a hedgehog for a month. I've stopped feeding them.

I miss hedgehogs. They are the best. They have amazing extending legs.

Some are still around, although those are the ones that haven't gathered enough food yet and are unlikely to make it through the winter.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Spooky Hyena posted:

Some are still around, although those are the ones that haven't gathered enough food yet and are unlikely to make it through the winter.

I like to think of my hedgehogs as tucked up and hibernating.

Feckless, benefit scrounging scottish hedgehogs are not my concern.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
SCROUNGE HOG DAY!

JOBLESS single hedgehog mum with litter of SIX hoglets plans to stay in bed all winter!

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

This little fella ended up at the General China Hedgehog Hospital. Despite every best effort the little thing died. He was buried with full hedgehog honours in my garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

General China posted:

This little fella ended up at the General China Hedgehog Hospital. Despite every best effort the little thing died. He was buried with full hedgehog honours in my garden.

It was a Tory hedgehog wasn't it. It lived in the country, hunted on other people's property and when it got sick it went to a private hospital.

• Locked thread