Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Can't say I'm a fan of the colors in respect to each other, but as a whole those turned out pretty boss. are you gonna do one color a side, or one color front, one color back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dannywilson posted:

Can't say I'm a fan of the colors in respect to each other, but as a whole those turned out pretty boss. are you gonna do one color a side, or one color front, one color back?

One color per side. I thought about staggering them front/back but this felt better for some reason.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Crustashio posted:

Took a shot at headlight restoration on my GFs civic. Worked pretty well. I think next time I will remove them and clear coat to make it a bit more permanent.

what'd you use for this?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I used Meguiars Plast-X on mine (no sanding beforehand) for similar results.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Scratch-X also does the trick. Makes indicators look brand new! :D

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Imperador do Brasil posted:

One color per side. I thought about staggering them front/back but this felt better for some reason.

It's like aircraft directional nav lights! I love it.

I think with respect to the colors they would look awesome with the center caps blacked out plasti, and then when it dried, cut out the Acura "A"s with an exacto.

E: or just hit the indents with a sharpie or paint marker.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 27, 2014

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Curbed one of my nice wheels on my way to my house to take them off and store until next summer. I haven't curbed a wheel in 16 years. Goddammit.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Driver's seat belt retractor decided to stop retracting and just un-spooled entirely. Looks like I now have a more practical and urgent reason to tear apart the interior once the new assembly comes in from GM. I'm still waiting to hear how long that's going to take, and in the meantime pray I don't get in a wreck. :ohdear:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
This arrived for my m3.

atomicthumbs posted:

what'd you use for this?

I used the 3M kit. Ridiculously clear, looks as good as brand new lights. I've got vinyl on the way to try my hand at wrapping them.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Had the windshield replaced, swapped the brake fluid, found a leak between the MC/Booster, ripped off rusted out heat shield, Sun of A Gun'd and thought about greasing zerks on my '84 F150.

I always fall for the Sun of A Gun trap. Now it looks like i made my door skins out of a the hide of a red/pink piebald pony.

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 27, 2014

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Changed the trans fluid in the car.

Dipped the towel at the top in the old fluid, bottom in the new.

I was going to flush out the old rusty coolant too, but I don't know where the drain bolt the chilton book refers to is at on the engine block.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Finally got round to cleaning the contacts for the window switches on my £320 scrapyard refugee Volvo 940. Now just the U/S sunroof, holed exhaust, and the Inop heater valve to fix.

Ah well, baby steps and all that

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Changed the trans fluid in the car.

Dipped the towel at the top in the old fluid, bottom in the new.

I was going to flush out the old rusty coolant too, but I don't know where the drain bolt the chilton book refers to is at on the engine block.

You're using a Chilton, so it may actually not even exist, they were probably talking about a similar model with a related engine that had one 4 or 5 model years away from what you're working on right now.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Warm today, but it will be in the 40's as of Friday so as a precaution I swapped the (recently dipped) winter wheels on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm still pretty impressed at the finish the metallizer mixture gave it. Usually Plastidip looks awful.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Ozmiander posted:

Had the windshield replaced, swapped the brake fluid, found a leak between the MC/Booster, ripped off rusted out heat shield, Sun of A Gun'd and thought about greasing zerks on my '84 F150.

I always fall for the Sun of A Gun trap. Now it looks like i made my door skins out of a the hide of a red/pink piebald pony.

Whats the sun of a gun trap? Spray tan?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Son-of-a-Gun is STP's version of Armor-All.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

After last weeks wake up call at the mechanics that my car was not so mechanically sound, I Had a friend murder-out my new intercooler. It's getting installed today with a new blow off valve and injectors and a dyno tune for reals now.

Maybe I should make my own thread. It'd be nice to have a log of my terrible spending habits.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Laserface posted:

After last weeks wake up call at the mechanics that my car was not so mechanically sound, I Had a friend murder-out my new intercooler. It's getting installed today with a new blow off valve and injectors and a dyno tune for reals now.

Maybe I should make my own thread. It'd be nice to have a log of my terrible spending habits.

Did you really paint your intercooler? Doesn't seem smart to reduce the rate of heat transfer like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

Did you really paint your intercooler? Doesn't seem smart to reduce the rate of heat transfer like that.

Sounds like somebody needs a lesson in black-body thermodynamics. Black paint = A-OK.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Sounds like somebody needs a lesson in black-body thermodynamics. Black paint = A-OK.

Sounds like someone forgot that intercoolers cool by convection, not radiation.

A black intercooler will radiate about twice as well as an unpainted one, but will transfer heat to the air flowing over it (and thus out of the air flowing through it) about 3% less effectively, due to the insulating effect of the paint.

There's a reason intercoolers (and radiators, and condensers, and evaporators, etc.) aren't painted from the factory; if the could get extra effectiveness for a couple cents of paint you bet your rear end they'd do it.

E: that said, on all but the most maxed-out turbo cars it probably won't make a noticeable difference in output.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

EightBit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

Fucknag posted:

There's a reason intercoolers (and radiators, and condensers, and evaporators, etc.) aren't painted from the factory; if the could get extra effectiveness for a couple cents of paint you bet your rear end they'd do it.

My last two turbo cars had black painted intercoolers. My current car has 5 coolers, all the ones I can picture right now are painted black. :iiam:

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 29, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

My last two turbo cars had black painted intercoolers :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0

I love MCM, but they're wrong on this one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Sounds like someone forgot that intercoolers cool by convection, not radiation.

A black intercooler will radiate about twice as well as an unpainted one, but will transfer heat to the air flowing over it (and thus out of the air flowing through it) about 3% less effectively, due to the insulating effect of the paint.

E: that said, on all but the most maxed-out turbo cars it probably won't make a noticeable difference in output.

AAAAFUCK

Still willing to give up 3% for the murdered out look, though. Need to stop playing KSP for a few hours.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Wait so why are all the radiators on my car black from the factory? (not wanting to start an argument, just curious).

Edit: After some searching, it looks like the later years got unpainted radiators. Maybe they mythbusted themselves...

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 29, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EightBit posted:

It slightly reduces convection heat from air flow and greatly improves head exchange with no airflow. it'll probably absorb more heat from the radiator but its also like 4 times the volume of the factory cooler core so its going to give back more than it takes in terms of efficiency.

either way it is a 2 light coats of a paint-and-prime mixture purely to make it look factory to avoid detection. I would love to leave it bare but police would immediately pull me over and ask to pop the hood and check out the hole in the battery tray (which in my state is a vehicle defect as you're cutting the chassis)

EDIT: yes MCM are 'wrong' in that adding black paint does not improve your cooling, but what I took away from their video is that there is little to no loss in painting it black, and for a street car it is more valuable than the 3% of efficiency ever will be.

I also did a track day with Marty and the Turbo MX-5 and hes a pretty cool guy :)

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 29, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I was about to come in here and complain about their methods, I'd assume that intercoolers get a bit more airflow than that; not to mention quite a bit hotter. Radiational cooling is a thing, but I'm willing to bet that the amount of radiative cooling possible at the heat ranges they run just isn't much compared to dumping it to air.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EightBit posted:

I was about to come in here and complain about their methods, I'd assume that intercoolers get a bit more airflow than that; not to mention quite a bit hotter. Radiational cooling is a thing, but I'm willing to bet that the amount of radiative cooling possible at the heat ranges they run just isn't much compared to dumping it to air.

Yeah, annd being inches from a radiator and AC condenser wont help either.

Their point is, and its their fault for not really making it, is that painting your cooler black to hide it/for looks isnt going to have any major impact on its efficiency so if its a make or break situation, you wont lose much painting it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Let's just paint our intercoolers white while yelling 'gently caress you physics, you don't own me'.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Let's just paint our intercoolers white while yelling 'gently caress you physics, you don't own me'.

Pff, if performance was our only concern, we'd all be making intercoolers and radiators out of copper. Over 50% more heat transfer than aluminium, 398 W/m/°C vs 237.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Mustangs with the grill delete benefit quite a bit from painting theirs black. I know because I didnt paint mine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Memento posted:

Pff, if performance was our only concern, we'd all be making intercoolers and radiators out of copper. Over 50% more heat transfer than aluminium, 398 W/m/°C vs 237.

gently caress copper, shits weak. Use silver (about 7% better than copper and 81% better than aluminum) instead :v:

Fun fact - some of the transformers at an aluminum plant on Long Island in the early 40s were made from coin silver "borrowed" from the treasury because the aluminum was more critical for the war effort and we were running short on copper. Apparently some of it made it into transformers that powered the Oak Ridge uranium refining plant necessary to build the bombs, too.

Or diamond, if you could find a way to make an intercooler from it and keep it from breaking, diamond's thermal conductivity is about the highest of any known substance at 2200 W/m/°C. Not a typo.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 29, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Mustangs with the grill delete benefit quite a bit from painting theirs black. I know because I didnt paint mine.

You could just paint the visible bit black and it would look fine until someone looked under the hood.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It'll be dyno tuned today so I will post the graph.

Not that it will prove anything since I also had a bunch of other poo poo done and didn't test it before it was painted but whatever.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

Y-12 is the World War II code name for the electromagnetic isotope separation plant producing enriched uranium at the Clinton Engineer Works in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, as part of the Manhattan Project. Construction began in February 1943 under the management of Stone and Webster.

Because of a wartime shortage of copper, the massive electromagnetic coils were made with 14,700 tons of coinage silver from U.S. government vaults at West Point. Colonel Kenneth D. Nichols met with the Under Secretary of the Treasury, Daniel W. Bell, and requested between five and ten thousand tons of silver. Bell's stunned reply was "Colonel, in the Treasury we do not speak of tons of silver; our unit is the troy ounce."

Thus the Manhattan Engineer District requested and was loaned 395 million troy ounces of silver (13,540 short tons, 12,300 tonnes) from the West Point Depository for the duration of the Manhattan Project. Special guards and accountants were assigned to the silver, and their responsible caretaking meant that at the end of the war, less than 0.0036% out of more than $300 million worth of silver was lost to the process, with the remainder returned to the Treasury.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So 6 years of owning the thing and I finally got off my rear end and had a dyno tune done. High boost revealed a lovely dying clutch that slips. This is problematic but not unforeseen as its been on there since I bought the car and I can only assume a decent while before I owned it too.

Overall I am happy with the results and the tuner tells me there is enough headroom to get to 200kW at the wheels if I can handle running no catalytic converter.

Graph:

Stealth Intercooler installation madness:

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 30, 2014

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

I drained the 30k mile transmission and diff oil, then put in some Motul 300 75w90.

Old gear oil smells bad, new gear oil smells good.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Wait so why are all the radiators on my car black from the factory? (not wanting to start an argument, just curious).

Edit: After some searching, it looks like the later years got unpainted radiators. Maybe they mythbusted themselves...

Well, on older cars the radiators are copper/brass. The paint keeps them from oxidizing. The only reason to paint aluminum radiators is to keep them from glistening through grillwork I suppose.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Fucknag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0

I love MCM, but they're wrong on this one.

I have the exact same thermodynamics book as that guy, and my professor was one of the co-authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

ApathyGifted posted:

I have the exact same thermodynamics book as that guy, and my professor was one of the co-authors.

Does it explain what the hell Ric Ocasek Jr is doing with an intercooler?