Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

DNova posted:

You want: aging credit accounts with as much total credit limit as possible with low utilization (e.g. $5,000 total credit limit and you use $200 of that and pay it off every month).

Would it be good or bad to request an increase on your credit limit? My secondary card has a $1,200 limit and has only been used for a couple hundred bucks in the last 9 years. My primary card I got 4 years ago and has a limit of $10,000 (started at like $2,000, they have moved it up with no input from me) and I generally have $300-$600 on it every month and pay it off in full every month. When I go on vacation or whatever I can have monthly bills of almost $2,000 and also pay those off in full, which I assume is why my limit is so high.

Would it improve my credit score (I do not know my score, but assume it is pretty good since I have no debt and pay all cards off every month) to request an increase? I would think I could get it upped to at least 15K based on my past record of spending and payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I thought I was at the bottom, does it go lower then 590 then?

Yeah it goes down to 300.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've had decent success selling NCAA football tickets on Craigslist. They say you're not supposed to sell them for more than face value, but no one has ever said anything to me.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have any decent articles about why the tobacco industry is evil or why smoking is bad? Preferably something that is written as if it hadn't been common knowlege over the last forever or so? I have a couple of friends posting on facebook about how milk is super bad for you and you shouldn't drink it because veganism is the only thing that isn't straight up murder and I kind of want to point out the hypocracy.

I generally don't care all that much and veganism is actually admirable but I'm sick of seeing a billion articles about why I should stop drinking milk all the time. And I don't like hypocracy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Man with Hat posted:

Does anyone have any decent articles about why the tobacco industry is evil or why smoking is bad? Preferably something that is written as if it hadn't been common knowlege over the last forever or so? I have a couple of friends posting on facebook about how milk is super bad for you and you shouldn't drink it because veganism is the only thing that isn't straight up murder and I kind of want to point out the hypocracy.

I generally don't care all that much and veganism is actually admirable but I'm sick of seeing a billion articles about why I should stop drinking milk all the time. And I don't like hypocracy.
Don't wrestle with the pig.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I thought I was at the bottom, does it go lower then 590 then?
Yes.

And I would consider 600 to be the gateway to "okay" credit, and FICO says 620 is Prime.

http://credit.org/blog/what-is-a-good-credit-score-infographic/

My credit score is in the 700s. I haven't paid a nickel in credit card fees in a decade, maybe more. Banks love people with good credit, because they won't default, but they hate people with good credit, because we don't pay interest or fees. On the other side are people who are "subprime", who, if the banks hang a $500 line of credit on, will pay on that $500 for years and make the banks big bucks. Banks will piss themselves to see this guy walk in the door, and you are totally that guy. Now beat them at their own game - borrow the money for free, then pay it off at the end of each month.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Man with Hat posted:

Before you put your foot in your mouth, your argument is... What? Smoking is straight up murder so if you're a smoker you're the same as an animal eater?

The vegan line of argument to that effect is probably going to be that humans can make free, informed decisions about what to do to their bodies whereas livestock can't. I just don't want you to seem foolish (by spelling hypocrisy wrong, for instance).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

tuyop posted:

Before you put your foot in your mouth, your argument is... What? Smoking is straight up murder so if you're a smoker you're the same as an animal eater?

The vegan line of argument to that effect is probably going to be that humans can make free, informed decisions about what to do to their bodies whereas livestock can't. I just don't want you to seem foolish (by spelling hypocrisy wrong, for instance).

My argument is pretty much "stop posting about milk being cyanide sponsored by satan or whatever. We all know by now. Just like how you know smoking is bad and yet you still smoke". So not all that much of an argument, really.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling retardery. I should have known better.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Man with Hat posted:

My argument is pretty much "stop posting about milk being cyanide sponsored by satan or whatever. We all know by now. Just like how you know smoking is bad and yet you still smoke". So not all that much of an argument, really.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling retardery. I should have known better.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2011/sep/14/malawi-child-labour-tobacco-industry

Not to mention that throughout the 20th Century tobacco companies paid to advertise in films aimed at teens/pre-teens in order to hook them as early as possible.

I don't know what retarded arguments your retarded friends are posting about milk - it's dangerous? it hurts cows? Either way, unless you really care about cow welfare, milk is fine, and also the tobacco industry has the blood of countless people on their hands. So there's that.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Jeza posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2011/sep/14/malawi-child-labour-tobacco-industry

Not to mention that throughout the 20th Century tobacco companies paid to advertise in films aimed at teens/pre-teens in order to hook them as early as possible.

I don't know what retarded arguments your retarded friends are posting about milk - it's dangerous? it hurts cows? Either way, unless you really care about cow welfare, milk is fine, and also the tobacco industry has the blood of countless people on their hands. So there's that.

Thanks for the link. Those are the exact arguments, yes. Today I read it is "not natural and inexcusable" to drink milk.

I was at a dairy farm a week ago and those cows seemed fine to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did the Spice Girls actually cover that Christmas song
Yep.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
What's the best way to get static electricity to calm down in a tulle skirt? My Halloween costume is made of strips of tulle and they are sticking to everything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

What's the best way to get static electricity to calm down in a tulle skirt? My Halloween costume is made of strips of tulle and they are sticking to everything.

Are you sure you want that? Sounds like you've got a sexy drier sock costume on your hands!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Koivunen posted:

Use the anti static clothing spray you can pick up at Target/Walmart.

It works fairly well.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

OctoberBlues posted:

Would it be good or bad to request an increase on your credit limit? My secondary card has a $1,200 limit and has only been used for a couple hundred bucks in the last 9 years. My primary card I got 4 years ago and has a limit of $10,000 (started at like $2,000, they have moved it up with no input from me) and I generally have $300-$600 on it every month and pay it off in full every month. When I go on vacation or whatever I can have monthly bills of almost $2,000 and also pay those off in full, which I assume is why my limit is so high.

Would it improve my credit score (I do not know my score, but assume it is pretty good since I have no debt and pay all cards off every month) to request an increase? I would think I could get it upped to at least 15K based on my past record of spending and payments.

One metric of your credit score is the % of your credit limit you actually use. Generally, you want to use only a small portion of your max, like < 15% or something. So, a higher limit makes that same small portion equate to more useable money.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How the gently caress does a spray make something less static?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Baron Porkface posted:

How the gently caress does a spray make something less static?

By being slightly conductive.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do sources of major rivers work? If it's just some puny lake, wouldn't it run out of water quickly?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

How do sources of major rivers work? If it's just some puny lake, wouldn't it run out of water quickly?

You may or may not remember, but you were probably taught this somewhere in middle school.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

But unless it is raining or snow melting on that particular day it would seem that the source would move downstream and the farthest end of the river would dry up. Especially in a monsoon climate.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The farthest ends of rivers do dry up. The ground, however, is able to absorb a lot of water and release it slowly over time. Snow also stores a lot up water upstream. Then there are underground aquifers and springs. All of those combine over a huge area to keep large rivers flowing year round.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
god makes the rivers flow

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Major rivers don't have one source. The Mississippi for example drains a region of about 3 million square km and is fed by rain, snow melt, springs and other sources year round.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a game kind of like cookie clicker, but it was just the numbers and math. I think it was called math game or something similar. Does anyone have a link to it?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Turtlicious posted:

There was a game kind of like cookie clicker, but it was just the numbers and math. I think it was called math game or something similar. Does anyone have a link to it?

Calculords?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I'm trying to track down a song. Anyone know what the song is that plays at the start of http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=572236150 ?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nah it was something way simpler, like literally just beige script on a white background with math functions.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This should be a small question for any science majors/professionals.
Carbon monoxide has a 200x greater affinity for hemoglobin than does oxygen. So it binds to hemo and forms carboxyhemoglobin (carbon monoxide poisoning), which can't carry oxygen in the blood. I've been reading up on it a lot, and I can't figure out how the process reverses. Apparently hemoglobin can kick the carbon monoxide in hours to minutes depending on how much fresh oxygen the person is breathing. But how? Since it has such a high affinity for hemoglobin, wouldn't the carbon monoxide just stick around?

Are "affinity" and bond stability not related?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Is there a reason so many ex-military people are conspiracy theorists? I'm aware that's a generalization, but it seems like a way higher than random percentage of the ex-military people I am friends with on facebook post constantly about 9/11 trutherism and related things. And a lot of the things they're posting links to seem to be military related conspiracy theory groups too. Is it just the ones I happen to know or is that a larger trend, and if so does anyone know why?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Is there a reason so many ex-military people are conspiracy theorists? I'm aware that's a generalization, but it seems like a way higher than random percentage of the ex-military people I am friends with on facebook post constantly about 9/11 trutherism and related things. And a lot of the things they're posting links to seem to be military related conspiracy theory groups too. Is it just the ones I happen to know or is that a larger trend, and if so does anyone know why?

Just spitballing but a lot of ex-military dudes get used to two things:
1) They actually do have to follow orders, often dumb or seemingly pointless ones, for a lot of their day for many years.
2) They often do deal with low level "classified" or at least "don't talk about this freely" stuff throughout their career

So they were unambiguously "in on" a good deal of things other people weren't and are used to taken often strange orders, and many people take out of this "clearly there's people that went higher up than me and they got weirder orders and higher level classified stuff and they had to follow them" therefore we're definitely hiding aliens. And so on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Speaking personally, being in the military gives you an eyewitness account of the hypocrisy of nationalistic bullshit surrounding military stuff. I'm a "veteran" but I never saw combat and the vast majority of my time was spent polishing boots and machine guns and loving around in the woods and deserts. Even if you do cool historical and heroic poo poo it's often so hosed up and grey (like, you trained troops for an unrepentant pedophile, making you a hero). So you become very skeptical of all nationalistic narratives, because if your experience proves them to be inconsistent, why would you believe all the others?

Edit: not a conspiracy theorist.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 31, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What's the best torrent client today?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I switched from an old uTorrent to Deluge last year and rather like it. It's not perfect, but the state of torrent clients these days seems pretty lovely. But that's just my opinion.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm happy with uTorrent after several years of use. Easy to use and light on system resources. There's been some bitching in the community ever since v3 came out awhile back, but I honestly can't see what the fuss is about and I think it's just the power users complaining about change.

Edit: I didn't see Golbez's response before I posted. Maybe I'm just oblivious to uTorrent's issues, though I can't say I've had any problems.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 2, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pogo the Clown posted:

I'm happy with uTorrent after several years of use. Easy to use and light on system resources. There's been some bitching in the community ever since v3 came out awhile back, but I honestly can't see what the fuss is about and I think it's just the power users complaining about change.

Edit: I didn't see Golbez's response before I posted. Maybe I'm just oblivious to uTorrent's issues, though I can't say I've had any problems.
It's stuffed with ads and featured content and poo poo like that and last I've read since 3.4 you can't disable those things anymore. I guess people are upset because obviously no one asked for that poo poo or wants to see it. 3.3 is fine after some easily googled tweakage though.

If you don't mind the ads, features you're not using and visual clutter and aren't stuck up about now 'paying' (by viewing ads) for something that was formerly really free, it's still lightweight and good.

EDIT: Actually all ads and crap can be disabled in 3.4.2 as well, apart from a not too obtrusive 'go pro' link in the menu and sidebar, some social media icons down right and a search bar that I can't remember if it was removable before.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 2, 2014

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
What fun things should I do on Christmas Eve this year? I got no family or relatives I could visit anymore and all my friends are celebrating with their families and relatives.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Less Is Definitely posted:

What fun things should I do on Christmas Eve this year? I got no family or relatives I could visit anymore and all my friends are celebrating with their families and relatives.

Go volunteer somewhere like a homeless shelter or something. At the very least it'll help with perspective.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tuyop posted:

Go volunteer somewhere like a homeless shelter or something. At the very least it'll help with perspective.

Sounds really fun.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Sounds really fun.

I see you have many alternatives. I'm thinking, "What would stop me from drinking myself into a stupor watching claymation Rudolph?" I'd either go winter camping or go volunteer somewhere. Anything to get out of the house would be more fun than not leaving the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

I'm doing some volunteer work with food distribution during the year. On Christmas Eve, I want to do something that isn't volunteer work.

Less Is Definitely fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 2, 2014