Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

I thought that they later hinted that he remembered more than that. Or am I remembering wrong?

One of the minisodes says that he gets a thousand-yard stare at random intervals, and there's also the small detail that the asteroid-sized time-eating space-monster and the Overlook Space Hotel both tried to mindfuck him and wound up spraining something instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

he doesn't have to, because it's really really great. And my taste in audios is impeccable, so you can trust me on that!

It's absolutely fantastic (edit: got confused and thought it was The One Doctor but Fourth Wall is great too!)

Also I wanted to post this, since I got linked to the "Doctor's Gonna Bust a Cap" video from the Oxx thread, turns out he did a newer version where The Doctor doesn't even care if it's a gun, he's still gonna kick your rear end/kill you dead somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

Go to sleep, bitch!

McGann fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

he doesn't have to, because it's really really great. And my taste in audios is impeccable, so you can trust me on that!

Yeah, I just finished it and it was fantastic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

McGann posted:

It's absolutely fantastic, I could listen to Banto/Six banter for hours.

No, that's The One Doctor. The Fourth Wall is something else.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

There's an episode sometime in season 6 (from memory) where the Doctor and Rory discuss whether he actually remembers anything specific from the 2000 years he spent guarding the Pandorica. He only remembers bits and pieces and they come and go, besides which they're memories of a fractured, now extinguished timeline where nothing made sense and things happened differently to how they did in the "real" world.

What he says is he remembers it, but it's like a door in his head. He can keep it shut. The general idea is he remembers absolutely everything but sort of keeps it off to the side to keep from going bugshit crazy.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

No, that's The One Doctor. The Fourth Wall is something else.

I was hoping I snuck that edit in before you noticed, but I was just a *tad* slow it seems. Yeah I get those confused because they're both "funny" Six audios. Fourth Wall is great because it's basically Last Action Hero but with Six/Flip.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

There's an episode sometime in season 6 (from memory) where the Doctor and Rory discuss whether he actually remembers anything specific from the 2000 years he spent guarding the Pandorica. He only remembers bits and pieces and they come and go, besides which they're memories of a fractured, now extinguished timeline where nothing made sense and things happened differently to how they did in the "real" world.

Rory told Amy that he didn't remember it all, he tells the Doctor he does.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Let's all just take a moment to remember just how terrible 11's first console room was... All those non-euclidean angles YIKES!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey Cobi, have you done a review of The Fourth Wall yet?

No, I haven't. I took a break from the audios for the TV season. I have the Fifth Doctor box set to review in a few weeks, then two Companion Chronicles, then I'll start back on the main range with The Game. I like to stick with the main range in order when I can.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RodShaft posted:

Let's all just take a moment to remember just how terrible 11's first console room was... All those non-euclidean angles YIKES!

I really liked it at the time, but every time I see it again now it just looks like a complete mess.

I still think it fits the kind of madcap, fairytale/storybook-esque atmosphere that season 5 had going for it though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RodShaft posted:

It's probably my least favourite of the console rooms, out of the entire run.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Forktoss posted:

I see they've employed JNT's tried-and-true methods of creating mystery around their characters for the character of ????.

I hope that's literally his character's name. And it's only pronounced as a confused grunt.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

One morning in every city and town in the world, the human race wakes up to face the most surprising invasion yet. Everywhere, in every land, a forest has grown overnight and taken back the Earth.

It doesn't take the Doctor long to discover that the final days of humanity have arrived.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in In the Forest of the Night.

X X X X X

Cast
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald)
Samuel Anderson (Danny Pink)
Abigail Eames (Maebh)

Written by: Frank Cottrell Bryce
Directed by: Sheree Folkson

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGzozaBsUo

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

The calm before the storm. The breeze before the hurricane. An episode of Grimm before an episode of Hannibal.

Before Bad Wolf, there was Boom Town. Before Army of Ghost, there was Fear Her. Before The Pandorica Opens, there was The Lodger. And before the season finale for Twelfth’s first season, we have this episode.

In the Forest of the Night sees another world-spanning threat, with the Doctor trying to save the Earth while Clara and Danny try to keep their students charges safe. The episode is beautifully framed, set and directed, while also a bit more light-hearted than the episodes preceding it. By serving as a bit of a breather, however, the episode plays it very safe, ultimately being nothing more than the answer to the phrase “well, that certainly an episode of Doctor Who.”

The TARDIS says it’s landed in Central London. The little girl who knocked on the TARDIS door says that it’s Central London. Danny and Clara, with a gaggle of students from an overnight lock-in at London’s Natural History Museum, know they’re in Central London. But Central London, for all its many splendors, definitely isn’t a lush forest that grew to cover the entire world overnight. The Doctor is concerned with solving the mystery of the sudden explosion of deciduous nature, Clara is concerned with keeping the students under her care protected, and Danny is wondering if Clara has been telling him the truth about no longer travelling with the Doctor. But it’s a little girl, Maebh, who hears the voices of the trees and their warning…

Doctor Who has seen its share of female directors, with the likes of Hettie MacDonald directing the classic Blink, Catherine Morshead behind the lens in Amy’s Choice and The Lodger, and Mary Ridge helming Terminus. It’s Sherrie Folkson, a veteran hand behind the camera since 1990, who puts her stamp on In the Forest of the Night by making the episode visually stunning. It would have been easy to simply take a standard British forest, put in a few British cars, a traffic light or two, and maybe a sign post or two directing the way to a British landmark, and simply say “hey, this is London.” Folkson and the set crew, however, manage to take the above concepts and make them work through a “less is more” style. We have Nelson’s Column to signify Trafalgar Square, several red-white-and-blue London Underground signs and subway entrances, and the occasional lamppost, abandoned car, and traffic light. Seeing these quintessentially British cultural items in the middle of an incredibly lush forest does all the “talking” the setting needs to do. The forest and its trees are definitely the highlight, however. Folkson does a great job of making it seems like the characters are in the middle of a lush, dense forest. It isn’t the same copse of trees over and over again from differently directions…it might be, but if it is, it sure as hell doesn’t look like it…it truly looks like a forest just shot up in the middle of London overnight, with branches through iron fences and vines covering the TARDIS. Folkson also deserves praise for the quick, kinetic style of directing she utilizes. The action never sits still but doesn’t get to the point of “slow down a moment” as she zooms between wide-shots and close-ups. Two scenes with the Doctor, one where he scans the children looking for Maebh and another one during his “lesson” to them about “treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees” highlight a bit of the light-hearted humor this episode brings. The only directing letdown isn’t from Folkson’s hand, but from the hand of some poorly green-screened creatures during a quick detour through the London Zoo. Even for Doctor Who, the insertion of a pack of wolves and a tiger, was done poorly enough to ruin any sense that they would be a threat to our heroes.

The script is actually the weakest part of the episode. I’m a bit stunned that a script Frank Cottrell Boyce penned, while entertaining, ended up being so flat and boring. Boyce is a veteran writer for British television and film, working on the long-running soap opera Coronation Street as well as writing the acclaimed script for the movies Millions and 24 Hour Party People, and has been praised for eschewing the “three-act script” and “hero’s journey” concepts in his scripts. In the Forest of the Night is a different type of script than Doctor Who usually puts on screen, but as opposed to something unique like Blink or The Power of Three, the script just…sits there. The entire planet has been covered overnight (and from a picture of Earth taken from space, this includes the oceans) and the Doctor wants to figure out why, but there’s never a sense of urgency to the proceedings. Maebh is lost in the woods, but she’s never put in any sense of danger other than “oh, she’s lost” and a poorly CGI’d tiger. Clara is worried about the students under her and Danny’s care, but Danny comes off as treating the whole thing like a camping trip through the city and the students never seem to worry about their Mums, Dads, and families, more concerned with taking selfies and screwing with the control panel of the TARDIS. The episode isn’t about some evil alien or vicious creature; it’s about a mystery to be solved. But there’s no URGENCY to the mystery. Once the Doctor figures out the purpose behind the trees, he has to stop them from being defoliated…but that’s done by having the TARDIS tap into the global communications network and having Maebh politely ask people to trust the trees and not hurt them. The fact that a world-wide outbreak of spontaneous forestry doesn’t affect the strength of the world’s cell phone network ranks up there with “the moon is an egg” in terms of science-gone-wrong on Doctor Who, and having a little girl politely ask people not to harm the trees in a worldwide “guilt trip” is a very sappy deus ex machina, surpassed only by the very last shot of the episode, which makes no sense and seemed tacked on only to give the entire proceedings an incredibly happy ending.

The only time the students seem to get upset is when it’s revealed that Maebh, who has been on medication since her sister disappeared a year earlier, hasn’t taken her medicine. The world is covered in trees, no one knows how their families are, they’re in a blue box that’s bigger on the inside with a man who had admitted he’s an alien, and the only time there’s a big reaction is when they’re screaming for Clara to give Maebh her pills. I’m not going to go into the specifics of why this is a VERY bad reaction for children to have on a show that children WATCH, but it felt incredibly out of place and out of sorts and only served for the Doctor to go “someone’s hearing voices and you medicate them, humans are stupid!” It’s very Jon Pertwee (in a way, the whole serial reminded me of The Seeds of Death to the point where I suspected the Krynoids were behind everything and expected the Third Doctor to show up and call the military idiots), but it just struck me as the wrong message to send out, especially to any kids that might have been watching.

After being on the sidelines for the past two episodes, Danny Pink steps back into the limelight, with some character development that finally gives some insight into his inner workings. Ever since his first appearance in Into the Dalek, Danny’s main personality points have been “former soldier” and “worried about Clara being with the Doctor.” We see a little bit more of Danny’s previous profession come out in this story, as he leads his students with a reassuring cadence call through the forests of Central London. His calm in a distressing situation and his manner of taking charge when the Doctor isn’t present does more to reinforce the “former soldier” aspect than all of the anger he showed in The Caretaker. But the key development in this episode comes when, during a quiet moment, Danny explains why he doesn’t see the Doctor in the same way Clara does. She wants to see and experience everything she can, and he understands that she can have with the Doctor. But after all he saw while in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces, Danny just wants to sit back and see everything in front of him more clearly. That one sentence speaks volumes about the character of Danny Pink, that he’s seen the proverbial elephant and just wants to be a teacher. I just wish this development had come a few episodes before the season finale kicks in as opposed to right before it…and really, what kind of teacher, especially one who's been in charge of a squad before, doesn't notice that one of his students is missing?!?

Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman do great with the material that Boyce’s script gives them, but in the end it doesn’t really mean much. Which is very much a shame, as there’s a great character moment for Ms. Oswald that also should have come a little sooner than right at the doorstep of the season’s end. Capaldi is in full-blown Doctor mode for this story, trying to solve the puzzle of the trees, and in a nice moment, realize and admitting he was wrong, calling himself “Doctor Stupid” in the process. Capaldi does rushed and manic very well, but in a manner different than Matt Smith or David Tennant, as if he’s actually thinking about the problem instead of throwing ideas against the wall and seeing what sticks. His interaction with the kids (and here’d a good place to say, the child actors in this episode did very well – viewers got an idea of their personalities, but not enough for them to be annoying or to overpower a scene. They came off much better than the young teenager in Kill the Moon) was almost endearing, considering Twelve’s personality so far. He actually came off as much smoother around the edges in this episode, now that I think about it; still a little detached from individuals, but not as mean or jerkish either. And it showed in a key moment opposite Clara. Last week’s Flatline saw Clara as the Doctor, making the tough calls as people died around her, takin a calculated risk to save the day, and realizing that doing as the Doctor does doesn’t make one a good person. She has to make another tough call in this episode, and Jenna Coleman sells that call. Her conversation with the Doctor is a quiet one, about how he needs to go and save himself, leaving humanity to die at the hands of the huge solar flare that was going to engulf the planet. Capaldi and Coleman, when given good material, are absolutely stellar actors and that scene shows it, Clara telling the Doctor to leave and the Doctor, in a call back to Kill the Moon, telling her that it's his planet too before departing. At first I felt it was a little out of character for both the Doctor and Clara to act how they do...until Clara tells the Doctor that she doesn't want to be the last of her kind. It drives home that, after all this time, Clara finally understands the Doctor and why he does what he does...and why, perhaps, she'll never come to grips with it. To be lonely, making the tough choices, and always leaving people behind, it's something she could never do, and something she could never make someone else go through. Again, however, it's a GREAT character moment that really should have come a bit before the season finale so the concept could have a little time to gestate in the conscious of the viewer.

In the end, did anything really change? The Earth is saved from the solar flare from the trees and humanity will quickly forget about this magical moment, just like all the other insane situations that they've experienced before the Doctor saves the planet, and go right back to turning the trees that saved them into furniture. Danny explained why he views Clara's travels with the Doctor as he does, Clara explained why she could never be the Doctor, and the Doctor gains some insight into his companion and her life and lies to Danny. All these could have been seeds planted for a long-term story, but I feel like they'll be swept under the rug when next week's finale begins. What could have been a strong breather episode instead gives the viewer some great character development and explanation that the end of the season, per the seemingly slam-bang finale trailer, will render moot in the long run.

Next up - Missy is about to come face to face with the Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming...

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Dark Water.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's probably my least favourite of the console rooms, out of the entire run.
I just finished The Lodger which has one of my most favorite.

It's like Invader Zim.

And by far the best set dressing ever.

That's Dan Leno if anyone was wondering.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't hate any of the consoles but I think I dislike the revival's first the most, maybe? One of them looked a bit too much like Aggro Crag.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RodShaft posted:

I just finished The Lodger which has one of my most favorite.

It's like Invader Zim.
Yeah, it's great. Outside of the other main rooms I like the one in the TV Movie a lot, and The Rani's TARDIS.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 31, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The wallpaper in that guy's flat in The Lodger is the same pattern as the title sequence of Coupling. All part of Moffat's master plan.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RodShaft posted:

And by far the best set dressing ever.

That's Dan Leno if anyone was wondering.

After "The Lodger" aired, a bunch of people became convinced that the man in that painting was going to be an Important Part of the Plot because that painting was just so conspicuous-looking!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

After "The Lodger" aired, a bunch of people became convinced that the man in that painting was going to be an Important Part of the Plot because that painting was just so conspicuous-looking!

I'm not sure if that's awesome or not. It's definitely either awesome or crazy. My only exposure to Who fan culture is the past month or so in this, Occ's thread and the spoilers one just to see where it's at.

Edit: more fair to the spoilers thread

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 31, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well Manicured Man posted:

We were all just excited about Nick Cave being the new Master. :shobon:

CobiWann posted:

At first I felt it was a little out of character for both the Doctor and Clara to act how they do...until Clara tells the Doctor that she doesn't want to be the last of her kind. It drives home that, after all this time, Clara finally understands the Doctor and why he does what he does...and why, perhaps, she'll never come to grips with it. To be lonely, making the tough choices, and always leaving people behind, it's something she could never do, and something she could never make someone else go through. Again, however, it's a GREAT character moment that really should have come a bit before the season finale so the concept could have a little time to gestate in the conscious of the viewer.

I actually liked that section too, though I feel it was rushed and far too easily interpreted as Clara "murdering" the kids, when I feel the point was that they wouldn't really be saving them if they took them away from their life/families/everything they understood. More important was her decision to stay behind as well and that line about not wanting to be the last of her kind (nobody told her about Steven ruling over the planet of Elders and Savages). I think that this was symptomatic of the issues with the episode as a whole, it made the stakes far too large, and what would have been very personal and intimate character moments/decisions were inevitably viewed through the lens of,"Every action these characters take affects the entire planet's future as well"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I actually liked that section too, though I feel it was rushed and far too easily interpreted as Clara "murdering" the kids, when I feel the point was that they wouldn't really be saving them if they took them away from their life/families/everything they understood. More important was her decision to stay behind as well and that line about not wanting to be the last of her kind (nobody told her about Steven ruling over the planet of Elders and Savages). I think that this was symptomatic of the issues with the episode as a whole, it made the stakes far too large, and what would have been very personal and intimate character moments/decisions were inevitably viewed through the lens of,"Every action these characters take affects the entire planet's future as well"

See, I never got a sense of any stakes. Everything has happened before and has happened again no matter what humans do. Heck, I don't think the Doctor, Clara, and Danny had any effect on the overall mystery/plot at all, other than "please don't spray defoliant." And even then, flame-proof trees are probably defoliant-proof...

It should have been a cool character building episode, but I wish it had come before Flatline to give those moments, with the switching around of some dialogue and scenes, a chance to breathe a bit before Dark Water.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

See, I never got a sense of any stakes.

Neither did I, and that was the problem. The story was about a threat to the entire planet, something that the entire population was aware of as it happened... and yet there was no sense of this as anything more than a personal story. It didn't mesh well, and as a result ended up feeling like one of RTD's oddly disconnected episodes where he couldn't quite tell if he wanted the story to be a grand epic encompassing all of reality or a deeply personal story about the relationship between two people.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
In the Forest of the Night
a review in verse

Writer, writer! Why'd you write
"In the Forest of the Night"?
What immoral, thoughtless fool
could write this tasteless piece of stool?

From what mind so full of spite
did the idea come to light?
And of the men who run the show,
who dared to set the bar so low?

What director? what stagehand?
Who could make a show this bland?
And which hapless effects guy
did all that clunky CGI?

And when the actors read those lines
that cringed their way through viewers' spines,
Did they smile their work to see?
or did they hope to run & flee?

Writer, writer! Why'd you write
"In the Forest of the Night"?
What immoral, thoughtless fool
dare write this tasteless piece of stool?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

RodShaft posted:

Nope, it was easily the best ever console one and this current one is a joke. They have to do some crazy poo poo with lenses to make it look like a large space and it just ends up looking like cheap poo poo.

11's first console room was amazing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

PriorMarcus posted:

Nope, it was easily the best ever console one and this current one is a joke. They have to do some crazy poo poo with lenses to make it look like a large space and it just ends up looking like cheap poo poo.

11's first console room was amazing, so in my opinion they switched from the best ever to the worst.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
11's first console room was gorgeous. 12's current one is as imaginative as having a bunch of clocks in the intro.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

11's first console room was gorgeous. 12's current one is as imaginative as having a bunch of clocks in the intro.

Clocks for the 12th incarnation of a Time Lord make sense, and a swirly vortex stopped being imaginative a while ago.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It should still be noted that, as good as Eleven's first console room was, it was almost too good. It was ditched primarily because things like the transparent floors made shooting in it a nightmare.

Twelve's console room is probably my second favorite after Eleven's first, so I'm okay with having it. It doesn't look as good as Eleven's, but it still has the levels going for it, and the blackboards and bookshelves add a bit of variety to it. There are things for the Doctor to DO in the TARDIS, ways to add a bit of activity to the place that isn't just fiddling around on the console.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Why did you immediately quote yourself and add a few words :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Why did you immediately quote yourself and add a few words :confused:

A case of the quote button being right next to edit, one imagines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

It should still be noted that, as good as Eleven's first console room was, it was almost too good. It was ditched primarily because things like the transparent floors made shooting in it a nightmare.

Twelve's console room is probably my second favorite after Eleven's first, so I'm okay with having it. It doesn't look as good as Eleven's, but it still has the levels going for it, and the blackboards and bookshelves add a bit of variety to it. There are things for the Doctor to DO in the TARDIS, ways to add a bit of activity to the place that isn't just fiddling around on the console.

The problem is that the current iteration's even worse for space than 11's version because of all of 12's shelves and books (though, they are admittedly nice details to fill in what was a sterile empty room and give it some degree of lived-in character). Hell, if he's giving a lesson on a blackboard Clara's stuck standing on the stairs or halfway round the other side of the console. It's all the more obvious in Forest when the room's stuffed with kids. Really 12 needs a new console room like the one from the Movie.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

A case of the quote button being right next to edit, one imagines.

Ladies and gentlemen, this will be the premise for Moffat's next original creepy monster episode... once he comes up with a nursery rhyme for it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, this will be the premise for Moffat's next original creepy monster episode... once he comes up with a nursery rhyme for it.

Coming soon from Big Finish:

Sixth Doctor: This person dares to criticize my impeccable fashion... and they have an anime avatar?! I won't stand for this irony without giving them a piece of my mind. Hand me that keyboard, Evelyn. And this time if there's any editing to do, I'll the one to click the little button.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Coming soon from Big Finish:

Sixth Doctor: This person dares to criticize my impeccable fashion... and they have an anime avatar?! I won't stand for this irony without giving them a piece of my mind. Hand me that keyboard, Evelyn. And this time if there's any editing to do, I'll the one to click the little button.

With Colin Baker as The Doctor, Maggie Stables as Evelyn Smythe, and David Warner as Irish Joe in...The Troll

Big Finish, we love stories.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

McGann posted:

With Colin Baker as The Doctor, Maggie Stables as Evelyn Smythe, and David Warner as Irish Joe in...The Troll

Big Finish, we love stories.

platinum users get more at something awful dot com

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that the current iteration's even worse for space than 11's version because of all of 12's shelves and books (though, they are admittedly nice details to fill in what was a sterile empty room and give it some degree of lived-in character). Hell, if he's giving a lesson on a blackboard Clara's stuck standing on the stairs or halfway round the other side of the console. It's all the more obvious in Forest when the room's stuffed with kids. Really 12 needs a new console room like the one from the Movie.

Yeah, I'll admit that it is a bit too small, but I like the things they've put in it enough to give it a pass. I think part of the reason it feels so small for Twelve is because there's now other things in there. This size was all well and good for when all the action was going on around the console, but now that there's reasons for them to be around the perimeter we're starting to see that there's just not that much space there.

I do still think we need another iteration just to give him a bit more room (and perhaps a bit more light, although Twelve pulls off the current light level much better than Eleven did), but I like the current idea enough that I'll stand by it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 31, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's kind of supposed to look cluttered to reflect his distracted state, that's why he has books all over the stairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that it is a bit too small, but I like the things they've put in it enough to give it a pass. I think part of the reason it feels so small for Twelve is because there's now other things in there. This size was all well and good for when all the action was going on around the console, but now that there's reasons for them to be around the perimeter we're starting to see that there's just not that much space there.

I do still think we need another iteration just to give him a bit more space (and perhaps a bit more light, although Twelve pulls off the current light level much better than Eleven did), but I like the current idea enough that I'll stand by it.

The control room is plenty huge for a control room. It isn't supposed to be a living room. :colbert: The TARDIS has acres of space, if you're going to have a bunch of kids over you probably shouldn't leave them in the control room at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angela Christine posted:

The control room is plenty huge for a control room. It isn't supposed to be a living room. :colbert: The TARDIS has acres of space, if you're going to have a bunch of kids over you probably shouldn't leave them in the control room at all.

No it doesn't. Any time there's a conversation going on they're either cramped together on the outer ring, or there's a chunk of console in the way between both parties with the camera right in their faces. Hell, three people take up a full half of the inner console area of the room. Have a look at the Bronze or Coral versions in comparison, where there's about another meter to the radius of the console area. Especially something like the last scene of Doctor's Wife when there's a good four people clustered near the console with plenty of room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially something like the last scene of Doctor's Wife

Hell, let's just use the jury-rig version from The Doctor's Wife, I think the velvet rope look is pretty rad.

Though, that Rani control room is pretty awesome too (I've managed to never see Time or Mark, though I guess I'll have to fix that if Big Finish is putting out Rani stories).

• Locked thread