Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SoulChicken posted:

Favorite bird in a Video Game? (Excluding duck from duck hunt)

Easily Christmas Duck from Gone Home, but since you specified from a videogame, the answer is the giant birdman in a wizard's robe from EVO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I like the vendor birds from the Souls series. Their tone is such a cool mixture of terrified and eager, and I like to believe that if a bird could speak (to the extent that they could engage in trade) they'd be all pushy and excitable like that.

I recall chocobos having a cool theme song but I'm told that at some point they stopped saying "wark" which I find unacceptable.

Comedy Option: King's Quest Five's lovely Owl

moller fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 30, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Val Kilmer in Heat.

Val Kilmer in Heat.

Val Kilmer in Heat.

Should have been the episode title imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Thanks for ruining the Laura Palmer theme for me Jake BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

moller posted:

Comedy Option: King's Quest Five's lovely Owl

I'm changing my vote

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Al! posted:

Thanks for ruining the Laura Palmer theme for me Jake BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's my first time watching the series all the way through and I really am delighted by that now that he mentioned it. I'm always disappointed in those rare instances when they cut the song before the turn happens. Every time it plays I'm like " OH BOY HERE IT COMES."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SoulChicken posted:

I will find out soon about the mod. I'll poke around for the Breckon on Borderlands.

Here: http://youtu.be/T-s8j6SjCn0?t=37m25s

It was a good segment.

And then!

"Reader mail! Nels Anderson writes..." !!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sad to hear that Alexis is leaving Giant Bomb, that dude always looks like he's having a fun time :cry:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jake if you're reading this, tell Chris to check out Dreamfall Chapters. It's basically Mass Effect 1 citadel: The game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anachronox is the original Citadel: The Game play that as well :colbert:

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Ulta posted:

Does anyone know what episode of VGHD Twinbeard (aka the Frog Fractions guy) apeared on? Google isn't helping and none of the episode descriptions have it either.

Episode 166.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was a good segment.

And then!

"Reader mail! Nels Anderson writes..." !!

So many sirens holy poo poo.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Resident Evil episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is up. Listen to us spend hours gushing about Lisa Trevor.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/85

Up next is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", then a broadcast of our live episode about "Street Fighter II", and then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". On that last note, we'd like any input you have on sensible ways to divide that up. We're doing it in three parts with a single extrasode at the end, like we did with our Final Fantasy VII episode.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Excellent idle thumbs this week. I have really got into civ 5 this year for exactly the same reasons that chris likes it. The historical context with the mood and the music make it far more engaging than a science fiction equivalent.

I think I'll wait a year or so and see what expansions can do to the latest one before I jump in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah this was easily, easily one of the best Idle Thumbs in a long-rear end time. While they sometimes stumble over each other with a 5-person cast, I feel it ultimately makes it a much better, casual experience. There were at least half a dozen times where I just started guffawing at what was happening(mostly Nick's Sims story).

But the one line that keeps popping into my head from this episode is "Val Kilmer in Heat" :argh:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Hey all, wanted to let you know that we've got a new podcast series starting this week on Idle Thumbs.

The show is called "Designer Notes," and it's a new series of developer interviews, this time hosted by Soren Johnson (who you may know from his appearances on Three Moves Ahead, or his new studio Mohawk Games, or more likely from his role as lead designer on Civilization IV). The first guest is Rob Pardo, of insane Blizzard pedigree -- Rob was a designer on StarCraft 1 and 2, WarCraft 3, and World of Warcraft. You can check it out at http://idlethumbs.net/designernotes

The closest parallel in format is easily Tone Control, though I'm sure the mood of this cast will be a bit different as Soren and Steve are different people with different personalities. Tone Control was also twice a month, while Designer Notes is monthly.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 30, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

and then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"

Boss

Instead of dividing the game into linear chunks the way you do with like FF7 you could split it into an episode about game mechanics and design, an episode about the main storyline quest where you go heavy on plot and themes and poo poo, and an episode about sidequests or something. There's a lot more optional questlines and guild quests and poo poo than there is main plot, but I also doubt that you guys are both going to spend 300 hours doing all of them so there will probably be several that either one or neither of you has a frame of reference for and you can't really discuss much.

If you want to split the main quest the place to do it thematically would probably be when Caius Cossades leaves the island and you become the ranking Blade on Vvardenfell, but I honestly can't remember if that's roughly halfway through the progression of story quests.

EDIT: You could maybe do an episode about the main quest, an episode about guilds/houses, and then put all the random odds and ends of exploration and sidequesting into the mechanics and design episode?

Baku fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 30, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Boss

Instead of dividing the game into linear chunks the way you do with like FF7 you could split it into an episode about game mechanics and design, an episode about the main storyline quest where you go heavy on plot and themes and poo poo, and an episode about sidequests or something.

This sounds like a great idea, Morrowind isn't the sort of game you travel through in a linear fashion like FF7.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The plot is also completely throw away, you could go over it in thirty minutes with plenty of room to discuss. You could fill an entire 90-120 minute block about the setting and locations alone.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

This weeks Thumbs was great, I guess the fiver just needed a little warming up. However Sean is starting to drive me nuts.

That's exactly right.
That's exactly right.
That's exactly right.

EDIT: Hot crap, how did I miss this:

then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". On that last note, we'd like any input you have on sensible ways to divide that up. We're doing it in three parts with a single extrasode at the end, like we did with our Final Fantasy VII episode.

Morrowind is my absolute favourite ever game, I'm so glad you're doing it!

The main quest is really... not that big a deal? Almost none of my memories and little of my play time was actively spent pursuing it, to the point I don't know if it even warrants a full third of your time. The guilds and houses were much more interesting to me, as well as just all the random exploratory side stuff.

Maybe this would be an opportunity to break out of the usual structure, as unless you two do some serious co-ordination your experiences are going to diverge even more wildly than something semi-open like Fallout 2. Perhaps using the start of each House/Guild 'chain' as jumping off points to discuss that narrative/physical area of the game would work, as really the landscape is as worthy of discussion as some of the 'plot'.

Are you planning to include the expansions? I would really recommend having Bloodmoon active from the start (as it can happily weave into the main game and adds some cool stuff, as well as some extra landmass), and then only activate Tribunal after you've 'finished' with the main game (or at least ignore it until then, as it's more of a standalone thing).

And no post about Morrowing is complete without talking about the mods, which, well, what kind of dong do you want your cat dude to have?

Pasco fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

al-azad posted:

The plot is also completely throw away, you could go over it in thirty minutes with plenty of room to discuss. You could fill an entire 90-120 minute block about the setting and locations alone.
Man I probably played 100 or 200 hours of Morrowind before I even found out how to start the story and get through with it, using a gimmick no-armor no-weapons bound-longbow-only character who could outrun their own arrows via boots of blinding speed and levitation spells.. :D

That may be part of why I liked Oblivion less than Morrowind or Skyrim, possibly, now that I think of it. In morrowind I wandered around lost, experiencing the world. In Oblivion I kept feeling railroaded onto the plot path while I wanted to explore the world - but it was all trees and cat-dudes in glass armor shouting THERE YOU ARE or whatever.. And then in Skyrim I knew there was a story and mostly where to go to follow it, and just didn't care, and enjoyed wandering the blasted landscapes shouting monsters to death a la Condemned 2.

Obviously what I'm getting at, is that I must hate trees in videogames.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Also wanted to say that this weeks Thumbs was one of the best. I was losing my poo poo at Nick's Sims story. "Please continue".

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Sexy Randal posted:

Also wanted to say that this weeks Thumbs was one of the best. I was losing my poo poo at Nick's Sims story. "Please continue".

Me, too. I was trying to hide my face on the bus this morning.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I hope people know they look more psychotic trying hard not to be seen laughing than to bust out laughing

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Listening to the part where Sean rants that Alien: Isolation should've been 12 hours long instead of 30 is killing me, because that's how long it took me to beat it. Once you learn how the Alien behaves you can get through areas pretty reliably, instead of sitting in a locker for five minutes just because you heard it in the vents.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vastakaiun posted:

Listening to the part where Sean rants that Alien: Isolation should've been 12 hours long instead of 30 is killing me, because that's how long it took me to beat it. Once you learn how the Alien behaves you can get through areas pretty reliably, instead of sitting in a locker for five minutes just because you heard it in the vents.
So speedrunning through a suspenseful horror game makes it okay? I mean Condemned is a scary-rear end game but once I learned to sprint into every encounter area and start pummeling enemies before they could find a weapon, it was really fast and easy and had no ambience. That is a good thing right?

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Vastakaiun posted:

U so pro

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

coyo7e posted:

So speedrunning through a suspenseful horror game makes it okay? I mean Condemned is a scary-rear end game but once I learned to sprint into every encounter area and start pummeling enemies before they could find a weapon, it was really fast and easy and had no ambience. That is a good thing right?

Sorry for being so unclear, but the way I played was far from speedrunning, I never even sprinted anywhere. My point was that playing the game normally (in a way that in no way disrupted the tension and the atmosphere) it took nowhere near the time that was making Sean angry. So I hope he gives the game another shot, because I agree with Danielle's opinion on the game.

Also I didn't mean to make the first post to sound like a slight on Danielle, I like her. I don't know how she played it, but it surprised me just how wildly we differed on that one aspect.

e: Yeah, reading it again, the tone of my first post is way too dickish. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to sound like I was some e-sports pro looking down on others.

Vastakaiun fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 30, 2014

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The Resident Evil episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is up. Listen to us spend hours gushing about Lisa Trevor.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/85

Up next is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", then a broadcast of our live episode about "Street Fighter II", and then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". On that last note, we'd like any input you have on sensible ways to divide that up. We're doing it in three parts with a single extrasode at the end, like we did with our Final Fantasy VII episode.

Can't wait to hear this one. I was a massive babypants when this game originally came out (at the tender age of 20), so I'm really looking forward to playing the ReRemake. The non-tank controls they've added work great!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Jake if you're reading this, tell Chris to check out Dreamfall Chapters. It's basically Mass Effect 1 citadel: The game.

If that doesn't sell you on the game, check out the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Shitbot is a contender for Character of the Year.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Vastakaiun posted:

I have to say, I'm surprised by this, because this is the first time I've heard anyone say their playtime was sub-20 hours. Everything else has been 20-25, 25, 28, and such.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

thefncrow posted:

I have to say, I'm surprised by this, because this is the first time I've heard anyone say their playtime was sub-20 hours. Everything else has been 20-25, 25, 28, and such.

This kind of thing is so common in games. One of the things you learn as a developer is how you can never predict the range of ways your game will be played, both by people intending to play it in unexpected ways and by people who are just playing however they play and getting totally different results. It's one of the reasons I find it really tiresome when people complain about dollars per hour and how they're not getting enough value, because as a developer you'll see that somebody took four hours to complete your game and somebody else took 20 and they'll both claim this is just "how long the game is."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's why I consider the speedrun time to be the only objective measure of the length of a game.

TESIV: Oblivion is a poor value because it's 5 minutes long.
Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game because it's 5 hours long.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

good rear end Thumbs this week. I was surprised to hear what Payday actually is. I knew absolutely nothing about that game, but it was filed under 'trash games' in my mind for whatever reason and I would have never spared it a glance.

looking forward to Morrowind WOFF! I haven't gone back to that game in years, but I poured obscene amounts of time into it when I was younger, and remember it fondly. I absolutely loathed Oblivion and found Skyrim decent (if shallow, and misguided in several respects) so I'm interested in hearing a more modern analysis of Morrowind by comparison.

though I did get a little of that recently: Bunnyhop did a video comparing the main questline of Morrowind and Skyrim a couple months ago, and brought up a lot of worthwhile points. Its good watchin'.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ja2ke posted:

Hey all, wanted to let you know that we've got a new podcast series starting this week on Idle Thumbs.

The show is called "Designer Notes," and it's a new series of developer interviews, this time hosted by Soren Johnson (who you may know from his appearances on Three Moves Ahead, or his new studio Mohawk Games, or more likely from his role as lead designer on Civilization IV). The first guest is Rob Pardo, of insane Blizzard pedigree -- Rob was a designer on StarCraft 1 and 2, WarCraft 3, and World of Warcraft. You can check it out at http://idlethumbs.net/designernotes

The closest parallel in format is easily Tone Control, though I'm sure the mood of this cast will be a bit different as Soren and Steve are different people with different personalities. Tone Control was also twice a month, while Designer Notes is monthly.

There aren't nearly enough developer interview podcasts around, gonna give this one a shot. I don't know if Soren Johnson still has a mohawk but please ask him to change his haircut.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

RE: Splitting Morrowind, thank you everyone for the input. I'm hesitant to totally switch up our formula (we've had bad luck trying to discuss plot and mechanics as separate things) so I'm thinking of Main Quest, Guild Quests, Assorted Side quests and stuff. Does that make sense?

Regarding expansions, we likely won't include them in the show for the sake of time but I very well may play them on my own.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

and then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"

Fuuuuuuuuuck yes I love Morrowind and have been looking for an excuse to fire it back up. I like Main Quest/Guild Quests/Misc Quests is a decent break-down, as long as you can work the lore in at the appropriate times. The unique world and world-building are a big part of what makes that game so memorable, and you'd be remiss not to discuss it.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Watch Out For Fireballs doesn't know poo poo about the best Resident Evil related GameFAQ. Check this out: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/198456-resident-evil-2/faqs/21095

quote:

RACOON CITY STREETS
Come on, we started it! Dont stay there like deaf-dumb! Get your knife in hand
and dodge these bastards! But be careful! Dont bump in em!3-4 hits and you'll be
watching cool "YOU DIED" movie.Get to the Gun Shop Kendo. There, speak bullshit and
collect 2xh.g.b. Movie plays and zombies get in. Ready and handgun the undeads fast.
Check the man's body twice and filch the Rem.M1100P. Dont waste it now, keep the 4 bullets
in it for later, as you really will need them! Before the zombies wake up, get
the hell out fast! Get straight and right. Behind a fence-2 undeads. Mow them down( each
6-7 shots)!!! A movie plays. Dont worry, this guy wont get you fast! Fast! Get straight to
a car and get h.g.b.!Return and mow him to death. Enter basketball ground. Ther's another one
stupid mother-fucker, trying to get at you! Dodge him and get fast to the door!
Climb up and down stairs. When you get down, check the bin behind you. More h.g.b.
Get on box and equip your knife! Woo! Cut the throat of the fierce lady. Wait a while,
two males come up and the lady one gets up from sleep. Wack'em fast! Almoust with
cut-off heads they lay down. Be careful! They can vomit on your leg, draining
your health! Escape to the street! Walk/run past the cars. YUK!!! 4 undeads eating a
cop. Beware, cause they want flesh raw meat! Dodge the all of them and run to the
hosed bus and get h.g.b. behind you. Aim down, pummel 4 shots in a fierce lady,
that closes to you. If your ammo is a little let her grab your leg and then stomp her
head! A frame up, comes another motherfucker! Mow him to death. Get off bus! Fuckside!
6 zombies comin up, wanting flesh raw meat! Kick asses! Kill the first 2 and the last 2!
Get in door. Now where? Right or straight? Straight, cause on the right are waiting for
dinner two zombies. Climb down and up stairs! Get a g.h. from the bushes. This can cure
you. Use it, if you are dangered and get fast to the really hosed police station!
*Note that if you've picked no items to this point, you will meet a Brad Vicks zombie
*in the stairs tunnel before the RPD. Plunk him with 16-18 handgun shots and check his
*body for the special key, that you can use later to change your clothes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's like a modern day Faulkner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

weird bleep posted:

Watch Out For Fireballs doesn't know poo poo about the best Resident Evil related GameFAQ. Check this out: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/198456-resident-evil-2/faqs/21095
Oh my.

• Locked thread