Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

One thing I've appreciated so far is that all of the people with abnormal Psycho-Passes have been abnormal in different ways. Makishima could control his at will, Akane seems to just be incredibly resilient to negative hue/PP changes. The new guy seems like he just keeps his very low and it doesn't change at all because of his complete conviction that he's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Doesn't Kamui go on and on about "freeing" people from Sybil? He doesn't really strike me as that much of a believer in the system or Sybil's judgement, he just circumvents them.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Doesn't Kamui go on and on about "freeing" people from Sybil? He doesn't really strike me as that much of a believer in the system or Sybil's judgement, he just circumvents them.

He doesn't think Sybil is right, he just thinks that what he's doing is completely right, and he knows that Sybil won't judge him if he doesn't recognize, on some level, that he's in the wrong.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Just a note because I've seen a lot of people getting this wrong:

It's "Sibyl", with a IB, not "Sybil" with a YB.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just in case anyone was getting an AI control system confused with Basil Fawlty's wife.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Alder posted:

True, I'm slightly puzzled because since when is teaching people about criminal profiling another way to cloud their HUE? I mean, it seems like if he/she are that easily influenced by that then maybe this job isn't for them. If anything they should recruit him to train new Inspectors for the greater good :airquote:

Sibyl detects "criminal thinking" but not necessarily criminal intent. If you've ever seen someone leave their purse on a table and thought to yourself "That's dumb. I could steal that easy." then you're a target for isolation. The inspectors with their perfect literally cannot understand the mind of a criminal. It's why they all seem functionally retarded. As soon as they start to form theories about how a someone could enter the apartment by masking their signal, or send in a little robot or something, they'll start getting cloudy. It's why all the best inspectors end up getting demoted to enforcers.

That guy used to be a great teacher, but under the sibyl system, teaching someone to be a better detective will also turn them into a criminal.

I wonder if villains could get by with just setting up loud speakers that broadcast tips and information about how criminals operate to cloud huge sections of the public.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's why all the best inspectors end up getting demoted to enforcers.

That guy used to be a great teacher, but under the sibyl system, teaching someone to be a better detective will also turn them into a criminal.

I wonder if villains could get by with just setting up loud speakers that broadcast tips and information about how criminals operate to cloud huge sections of the public.

It's a good potential idea yet kinda of boring from a storytelling POV. I thought inspectors/detectives were demoted when they ended up too obsessive about a case? See: Kougami. It's also possible they could have suffered from trauma which upset their HUE like Gino.

IIRC potential Inspectors scored highly on placement tests before getting their jobs, right? Otherwise, is it possible for a person to 100% control their thoughts to be positive w/o medications? Sorry, if I'm just throwing out ideas because I only watched S1 a while back.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Detectives get demoted when, for whatever reason, they begin to think more like criminals and their Crime Coefficients get too high. This can be a result of being too good a criminal investigator, like Masaoka, or it can result from becoming obsessed with a case and going too far down the 'wrong' train of thought in your desperation to solve it, like Kogami. If trauma was all that caused Gino's CC to go up and get him demoted, he'd be a pretty lovely enforcer. Trauma-related jumps in CC seem like they'd make someone too unstable and unreliable to work as an inspector or an enforcer. Gino's CC was already in danger before the showdown at the farm due to his involvement in the Makishima case. While his dad dying probably helped push him over the edge, he was headed in that direction one way or another.

Anyone who can control their thoughts perfectly would be abnormal under the Sibyl system. Akane's the closest we've seen the that, since unlike the other abnormal people we've run into her CC does seem to reflect her stress level. She's just unnaturally good at keeping herself under control and believes wholeheartedly that what she does is right.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks, I think I understand better now. Initially I thought Gino had been worried how he would be perceived by other co-workers since his father had been a detective but then got demoted to Enforcer. Perhaps, the odd idea that maybe it was hereditary that he would too also have a high CC some day.

About Akane I thought she was similar w/Makishima because she could maintain/recover to a clear HUE despite negative events happening on the case. Yet unlike him she didn't have his irrationally dangerous plan how to fix society.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alder posted:

About Akane I thought she was similar w/Makishima because she could maintain/recover to a clear HUE despite negative events happening on the case. Yet unlike him she didn't have his irrationally dangerous plan how to fix society.

That's pretty much it. Makashima was always shown hovering around crazy low CC levels (0-10), while Akane's Hue can change, but it recovers so quickly that she's effectively asymptotic (and her CC stays around more normal levels of 30 and 40).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Combed Thunderclap posted:

That's pretty much it. Makashima was always shown hovering around crazy low CC levels (0-10), while Akane's Hue can change, but it recovers so quickly that she's effectively asymptotic (and her CC stays around more normal levels of 30 and 40).
That's sort of true in a sense, but I think the word you were looking for was asymptomatic. :godwinning:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

OK, now I'm ready for S2 :eng101:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

That's sort of true in a sense, but I think the word you were looking for was asymptomatic. :godwinning:

Akane's CC only ever approaches 0.
:goonsay:

(Autocorrect is the ghost in the shell we always knew would come to haunt us :tinfoil:)

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Makishima's was usually low because that was convenient, but they did specifically say in season 1 that he could control it at will. Akane's effectively asymptomatic, but her CC is still influenced by events not under her control.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Akane's reaction from being scanned was hilarious.

Akane: "If you think I'm crazy then scan me!"
Ginoza: *Doesn't because he's a bro.*
New Girl: *Scans*
Akane: :what:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Akane: "If you think I'm crazy then scan me!"
Ginoza: *Doesn't because he's a bro.*
New Girl: *Scans*
Akane: :what:

Right after:

"Why did my brilliant sleuthing not crack this case wide open?!"

Hell, someone point a Dominator at her, she's the one who looks like she's about to murder someone.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The enforcers are way to polite to the inspectors. I guess they don't have much choice but I'm a little disappointed there's not constant sighing, eye rolls and jerkoff hand gestures, everytime that inspector speaks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dr_Amazing posted:

The enforcers are way to polite to the inspectors. I guess they don't have much choice but I'm a little disappointed there's not constant sighing, eye rolls and jerkoff hand gestures, everytime that inspector speaks.

Seeing the way that Enforcers are allowed to live versus the people stuck in your average cube jail, I don't care how much poo poo I'm catching, I'll stay polite thank you very much.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

IDK I always figured it was the same reason why I'm not my usual sarcastic self around managers and/or professors. I could be but the risks/benefits is too low for me to care.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

If I'm remembering right there certainly was a degree of flippancy from the enforcer who got killed by Makishima and made Kogami lose his poo poo in season 1, and the younger enforcer who gets murdered by Sibyl liked to make off-color jokes at Akane. Even those two kept from acting outright rude, but the enforcers certainly aren't all super-respectful of the inspectors.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the episode is the Kureg machine. That's how you know it's a disopian future.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Shoot first, then shoot some more and if in doubt shoot again. Then maybe you won't get to questioning, which is a relief since that's a borderline criminal act, morally speaking. Across that divide is the concepts of self-defence and martial arts - unspeakable horrors.

Shimotsuki continues to insufferable since her introduction and yet again displays no inspector-like quality besides a dogmatic belief in Sybil.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dervyn posted:

Shimotsuki continues to insufferable since her introduction and yet again displays no inspector-like quality besides a dogmatic belief in Sybil.
What else would an inspector need, aside from a decent enough Hue?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This week's episode in a nutshell: :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

E: A+ exemplary showcase of enforcing

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 30, 2014

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

That was some drat fine police work sergeant, drat fine!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What's up with Kamui's scar at the ending? Almost like he got some facial plastic surgery or something, sure does make you think huh?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pandaK posted:

What's up with Kamui's scar at the ending? Almost like he got some facial plastic surgery or something, sure does make you think huh?

I think it's building up to the idea that Kamui is Kogami in disguise but that's going to be a red herring. Kogami probably isn't even in this season, or not until part 2.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think it's building up to the idea that Kamui is Kogami in disguise but that's going to be a red herring. Kogami probably isn't even in this season, or not until part 2.

Haha nah, I'm just messing around. Honestly, the best guess would be that he's a survivor of that plane crash mentioned before and a bunch of doctors gave him an identity untouchable by Sibyl.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Dervyn posted:

"Why would the chief take me off the case!? I was performing my duty perfectly by standing outside an obvious crime scene and ordering my subordinates not to do anything and also countermanding the orders of another inspector who was trying to do something about the problem!"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Forcing a massive case of societal cognitive dissonance is actually pretty bad rear end. It took a bit, but I'm totally into this season now.

Shimotsuki sitting around and biting her nails while people die, and then watching while the police kill everyone who's left may be the most dark bystander moment this show has had (and that's saying something).

EDIT: I think part of the reason why I'm totally on board with this show is because they've completely doubled down on this being an awful dystopia. I can get behind them completely committing to that concept.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 31, 2014

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

glomkettle posted:

If I'm remembering right there certainly was a degree of flippancy from the enforcer who got killed by Makishima and made Kogami lose his poo poo in season 1, and the younger enforcer who gets murdered by Sibyl liked to make off-color jokes at Akane. Even those two kept from acting outright rude, but the enforcers certainly aren't all super-respectful of the inspectors.
Could be they don't give a gently caress about her and she's not worth their time. Sometimes you get to the point with someone who is just so nonsensical all the time you don't even bother responding to their nonsense any more. You just let it slide because everyone is in on the fact they're completely useless.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

This episode 4 seems be more violent but not as grimdark. I still wonder why Shimotsuki isn't on grounds for insubordination to a Inspector but oh well. Is it just me or the old man freakishly strong for his age?

Not really sure where this plot is going other than Kamui testing the limits of the Dominator. However, I did find the upgraded one to be mildly amusing because no one considered adding some kind of ID system for criminals.

But Kougami has to show up in S2 he's even in the OP/ED :(

I could be just dense but what did the old man want to achieve again? Did he want to show how the Inspectors/Sybil were not infallible? Dominators are easily tricked? Violence solves everything? if you push people to their limits they become their true nature? Antidepressants are bad for society?

Alder fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 31, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The_White_Crane posted:

"Why would the chief take me off the case!? I was performing my duty perfectly by standing outside an obvious crime scene and ordering my subordinates not to do anything and also countermanding the orders of another inspector who was trying to do something about the problem!"

Seriously, I freaking HATE Shimotsuki now. I had such high hopes for the character after the teaser for her at the end of season 1, but c'mon. There's incompetence, and then there's sitting around doing literally nothing, and getting mad at an enforcer for trying to do the slightest thing more than stand there staring at a goddamn wall.

URGH, I seriously got so pissed at her behavior. At this point I don't even want a redemption or "Sibyl isn't right after all" arc for her, just have her either get fired or killed by one of Kamui's magic low crime coefficient goons. Actually, we've never seen a suicide by dominator yet, right? I can't think of a better candidate than her, after she realizes that her incompetence has gotten literally dozens killed after she screws up a few more times.

I'm sure the show wants me to be fed up with her, but she's 100% the least likeable character on the show, I'm rooting for/like both Kamui and Sibyl more than her.

My horrible frustration with Shimotsuki aside, did any one else notice that there was some really cheap/low grade animation in this episode? I mostly saw it in the scenes depicting what was going on in the clinic. Hopefully it frees up some of the budget for cool scenes later in the season.

Chalk me up to wanting Kogami to either be Kamui's true identity or the guy who swoops in and saves the day, either way it'll be red.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alder posted:

This episode 4 seems be more violent but not as grimdark.

I'm not sure you get much darker than police officers treating a hostage situation like a zombie scenario.

Anyway, Kamui's an interesting villain in that he actually really seems to care about the people he's "helping." Definitely more than a Makishima stand-in...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yeah, with Makishima, he just used people until they no longer had any purpose for him. It's nice to have a villain that's not a pure repeat of the last.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mordja posted:

I'm not sure you get much darker than police officers treating a hostage situation like a zombie scenario.

Anyway, Kamui's an interesting villain in that he actually really seems to care about the people he's "helping." Definitely more than a Makishima stand-in...

Eh, my definition of dark is slightly different. That scene in particular was bizarre because of the complete lack of reaction from Division 3 other than complete obedience.

There's a point where so many side characters die at a time and I feel like it's getting redundant other than sometimes good people do misguided things in extreme situations.

The more over the top violence is the part where I start zoning out and wondering what all the other characters are doing right then or if I should start cleaning my room.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Alder posted:

That scene in particular was bizarre because of the complete lack of reaction from Division 3 other than complete obedience.

I think that it's painting Akane as much of a freak as Makishima or Kamui. It goes back to the first episode when Akane shot Kogami. Back then Kogami was acting the same as Divison 3 did, and only after their interaction did he emerge. Kamui seems to be a dark mirror to her empathy, just as Makishima was juxtaposed with Kogami.

Not to mention we've had a whole season to see Sibyl's flaws, while everyone outside Division 1 still considers it sacrosanct.

It also demonstrates that Kamui, his mole, or someone else in his organization is aware of Akane's freakishness, since they had to sacrifice the politician to remove her from the situation. Kamui seems very reluctant to put his people in jeopardy.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 31, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Alder posted:

I could be just dense but what did the old man want to achieve again? Did he want to show how the Inspectors/Sybil were not infallible? Dominators are easily tricked? Violence solves everything? if you push people to their limits they become their true nature? Antidepressants are bad for society?

Basically he wanted to get people stressed because the way society under Sybil works the stress elimination (and the obsession with it to the point of being heavy on anti-stress/anti-depression medicine as a matter of course) kills their humanity, turns them into zombies. He keeps mentioning "eustress deficiency" - "eu-" as a prefix comes from Greek, meaning good - you know how we sometimes say "a little stress is good for you"? That notion is dead in Sybil's society, the concept is seen as an urban legend. So the only way to show those people how to be human again, how to be alive again is to make them experience stress.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well that's basically recycling a plot point from S1. Yeah, Psycho Pass is a indictment of transhumanist futurism that I've personally indulged in.

NowonSA posted:

Seriously, I freaking HATE Shimotsuki now. I had such high hopes for the character after the teaser for her at the end of season 1, but c'mon. There's incompetence, and then there's sitting around doing literally nothing, and getting mad at an enforcer for trying to do the slightest thing more than stand there staring at a goddamn wall.

It's kind of sad, but it's also necessary because they need an obstructionist and bureaucratic character now that Gino's grown out of that role.

P-perhaps, this will be the turning point in Shimotsuki's arc and she'll finally come under Akane's wing and stop being awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

It's kind of sad, but it's also necessary because they need an obstructionist and bureaucratic character now that Gino's grown out of that role.

P-perhaps, this will be the turning point in Shimotsuki's arc and she'll finally come under Akane's wing and stop being awful?

I would like that but only if Akane flips her poo poo out at her for sitting on her rear end and doing nothing first, she looks to still be in deep enough denial that she needs to have someone point out to her how dumb she's been before she makes the breakthrough of affirming her suspicions that her methodology is a lovely dead-end.

• Locked thread