Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
ooooooh new shines up on the website.

New Dog Warriors!!!!!!!!:swoon:

HMG Janissaries looks badass

what truth are we talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
http://www.areyoureadyforthetruth.com/

CB setup a website that is counting down to something Infinity related.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
they are cancelling infinity 3rd ed is a lie! :ohdear:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Things I thought it might be but have decided it isn't:

An RPG (Carlos was on The Krug and listed an RPG as a wishlisty thing he'd like to do "someday in the distant future")
A comic book (same podcast, they asked about novels and Carlos said that Gutier would never trust anyone but Gutier to write fluff and he's too busy to do longform stuff)

I'm sure it'll be something disappointing, like an announcement of Acheron Falls for Gencon 2016.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Surprise, Acheron falls and all the models in it are out for Christmas!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's real forums infrastructure. :v:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I half want to think it will be a video game of some sort.

They showed something at Feast of Blades that seemed like an across the board big deal.

The N3 cover is rather video game looking, and I think it was done by some video game guy that CB is chummy with.

Infinity would be a *perfect* fit for a Mass Effect cover shooter clone. In many respects it is a Mass Effect clone with a better story than Mass Effect that pre-dates Mass Effect. If the reveal was that the Reapers were up to what the EI is up to, nobody would have bitched about the ending. Aleph boots up the player as a recreation in some Achilles style wetware micro-TAG body and path of destruction ensues. Not that the game would get a Mass Effect budget, but there is a lot of potential for a good cover shooter clone. Especially since all the skills and equipment fit perfectly into that. Even with no story and just a Day of Defeat Infinity clone, it would be pretty sweet.

I'm sure it will be something lame instead though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The odds of this reveal being an FPS/TPS are literally zero. There is no way CB has the budget to underwrite, or the people to oversee, a production of that magnitude.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Or someone looking to make a game like that licensed their IP for cheap.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cyclomatic posted:

Or someone looking to make a game like that licensed their IP for cheap.

While the odds of that may not quite be zero, they're close enough to not matter. The only way that happens is if someone with enough swing in an outfit with the technical knowhow and capital to get the job done happens to already be a massive Infinity fan. And even then they'd probably be better off with original IP that they can solely own.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can't wait to see your guys reaction. :v:

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

hmm I finished working and the timer down to 4 minutes :iia:

RPG by the guys who make the xwing miniatures game could be very cool.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Just got the email. Dunno what I was expecting, but sounds interesting. I guess.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Infinity the RPG? No thanks.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Corbeau posted:

While the odds of that may not quite be zero, they're close enough to not matter. The only way that happens is if someone with enough swing in an outfit with the technical knowhow and capital to get the job done happens to already be a massive Infinity fan. And even then they'd probably be better off with original IP that they can solely own.

I suppose this is may be why most video games are so aggressively terrible story wise. Then again, not sure I'm surprised when the industry has like a 5 year average burnout rate. Rolling your own half baked IP that might or might not actually gel into something non-poo poo, and dealing with it changing as it gets refined because change is the nature of building anything, instead of going out and finding a cheap/free mature IP makes about as much sense to me as rolling your own XYZ library instead of just browsing the near endless pool of cheap/free libraries and avoiding headaches.

Doesn't matter I suppose. What I actually wanted was an RPG, I just didn't think it was going to be an RPG because of how tricky Carlos is.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
RPG was what I expected, so I'm happy enough. Not much of a stretch considering that Infinity started as an RPG.

e: Wait, they're using another system rather than one evolved from Infinity? Bwuh? That doesn't sound good to me.

e2: It's probably okay.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 31, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm down. I hope the systems integrate fairly well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I was immediately excited until I saw that it's a third-party licensed game:

- The reason given for no novels/comic books/other tie-ins was that Gutier/Interruptor doesn't trust others not to mess up the fluff. How much control does he retain here? A big part of the appeal is how consistent the Infinity fluff is, I don't see that happening if multiple sources start adding to it.
- Anyone know Modiphius and their other games? Are they decent, or more of the quick-buck-licensed-shovelware type?
- Kickstarter. Right. CB has decided not to make those to preserve superior quality, and now we see "CB RPG minis", whatever that's supposed to mean (larger scale like Inquisitor? Customizable uniques like Wyrd?). I'm also wary about stretching their strength even more. Icestorm looks amazing but as someone who doesn't play PanO nor Nomads I say gently caress it, yes I would like to have everything else delayed for a box I don't need.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is there a link to this announcement somewhere?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
http://www.modiphius.com/infinity.html

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

I was immediately excited until I saw that it's a third-party licensed game:

- The reason given for no novels/comic books/other tie-ins was that Gutier/Interruptor doesn't trust others not to mess up the fluff. How much control does he retain here? A big part of the appeal is how consistent the Infinity fluff is, I don't see that happening if multiple sources start adding to it.
- Anyone know Modiphius and their other games? Are they decent, or more of the quick-buck-licensed-shovelware type?
- Kickstarter. Right. CB has decided not to make those to preserve superior quality, and now we see "CB RPG minis", whatever that's supposed to mean (larger scale like Inquisitor? Customizable uniques like Wyrd?). I'm also wary about stretching their strength even more. Icestorm looks amazing but as someone who doesn't play PanO nor Nomads I say gently caress it, yes I would like to have everything else delayed for a box I don't need.

I read that as it being a normal release for the core book and a kickstarter for more stuff, like other books or whatever. I could have read it wrong.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

My friends all play the X-Wing miniature game (they are a bit obsessed) it is supposedly very very good. I was never interested because its star wars but the game itself is meant to be good so the company has that going for them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've heard reasonably good things about the system they're basing the Infinity RPG on, so I wouldn't write it off just yet. I'm not exactly pumped, but I'm curious.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

Hoboskins posted:

My friends all play the X-Wing miniature game (they are a bit obsessed) it is supposedly very very good. I was never interested because its star wars but the game itself is meant to be good so the company has that going for them.

The X-Wing minis game is exactly as good as they say it is. It has a surprising amount of depth for a very simple system IMO and it's my second favourite tabletop game next to Infinity. I'm curious to see what kind of system comes out of this, given how very different the two games are.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Highlight of playing with my new minis and the new rules (Or at least, what we know so far): Domaru 'Neko' Oyama taking a Raicho from full 3STR to 0 with a single swing of his HANZO HATTORI STEEL. :getin:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

WAR FOOT posted:

Highlight of playing with my new minis and the new rules (Or at least, what we know so far): Domaru 'Neko' Oyama taking a Raicho from full 3STR to 0 with a single swing of his HANZO HATTORI STEEL. :getin:

That you can basically re-enact Metal Gear Rising if your opponent takes a TAG is the only reason I run Domaru links. I am super pumped for this actually being more sensible in N3.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bob Smith posted:

That you can basically re-enact Metal Gear Rising if your opponent takes a TAG is the only reason I run Domaru links. I am super pumped for this actually being more sensible in N3.

We played using the new Martial Arts table, and Oyama calmly dealt an EXP+AP Dam 17 hit. His name should've been Kenshiro.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Chris Birch from Modiphius was doing a Q&A on the Infinity RPG on the Australian facebook page. It also appears that all races/factions will be in it, but they're still discussing with CB how to make Combined Army player characters.

quote:

2d20 is our own system being used for Mutant Chronicles that has taken 18 months to develop - the core system is the same roll under a target on multiple d20's. CB have tried to develop an rpg out of the Infinity rules and they weren't happy, our goal is to help people tell great infinity stories with a system that feels familiar but is designed for roleplaying not skirmish fighting. You'll be able to play multiple action scenes in one session that would take 2 hours for each scene in Infinity.

Oh you'll also see 2d20 announced for another massive universe next month and several more over the next year.

quote:

You roll under the TN on 2d20's, if either succeeds that's great, if both do you get to do stuff with the extra success, if one succeeds and one critically fails you get complications - kind of success at a cost. You can train skills to raise the TN (it's attribute + Skill) OR train your Focus - so you critically succeed on a 1 or higher - now you're suddenly getting 1-4 successes and get to spend these to describe awesome stuff (or spend on fixed uses).

They are accepting playtest sign-ups on their website.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wish I had a gaming group for those sorts of RPGs, seems like it'd be a great way to get into the lore of Infinity.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The stage is set for today's shenanigans.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Camo sniper on the green building, definitely.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm tired of fielding the same Order Sergeant link every game. So I drew up a couple of alternative ITS lists. The first is an offensive HI link list, the second is a TAG list. Sadly I probably won't get to play the second in N2 - I don't own any TAGs, and don't intend to buy any until the Stingray series gets released (Seraph, Tikbalang, and Uhlan).

Teuton Link:

Panoceania - Military Order | 9 models

Teutonic Knight Spitfire (46|2)
Teutonic Knight Lieutenant (42|1)
Teutonic Knight Combi (42|0)
Teutonic Knight Combi (42|0)
Order Sergeant TO Sniper (39|1.5)
Konstantinos Inf (34|0)
Order Sergeant TO FO (29|0)
Order Sergeant Combi (13|0)
Indigo Combi (+1 wip, CH: Mimetism, Super-Jump, Doctor) (13|0|12xp)

300/300 points | 4.5/6 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : http://goo.gl/KPwgrL

Seraph:

Panoceania - Military Order | 10 models

Seraph (85|2)
Auxbot
Order Sergeant TO Sniper (39|1.5)
Brethren combi (26|0)
Fusilier ML (26|1)
Bipandra (24|0.5)
Fusilier HMG (19|1)
Fusilier Lt (10|0)
Indigo Combi (+2 wip, -3 bts, Engineer, Hacker (Hacking Device)) (10|0|11xp)

297/300 points | 6/6 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : direct link

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Deviant posted:

The stage is set for today's shenanigans.

If this is average for other metas, no wonder I keep getting reamed by Muttuiah and Kum. :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

WAR FOOT posted:

If this is average for other metas, no wonder I keep getting reamed by Muttuiah and Kum. :v:

What's wrong with it? :mad:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Huge areas with no/little total cover (the spot with the Aegis walls looks like a nightmare), few large buildings so a TO sniper perched in a good spot would dominate a large part of the table.

As for my local meta:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Stolen from the Infinity Forums

This thread could be titled as: "How to make a balanced table for Infinity" or "How much terrain do I need for Infinity".

Infinity is a Sci Fi Skirmish game usually played in 4x4 boards. The usual 10-16 miniatures face each other using guns and rifles, close combat happens but it is not the usual way to defeat your enemy.

Sniper rifles and HMGs have great distance modifiers, in order to make battles more interesting you will need terrain, terrain that blocks lines of fire.

This is an Empty Board. An Infinity battle in this board wouldn't be very interesting.

Snipers and HMGs will probably become killing machines and the rest of the troops would probably die without any significative role in the battle.

This would be an Open Ground Board. It has just a few pieces of terrain. Big enough to block line of fire.

With 8 pieces of terrain you can have a decent battle. I would say that the minimum height required would be like 4 inches, enough to hide a normal miniature from any attack.

The we have a properly dense table here:

The thing with this table is that it is very symmetric and that is not interesting. If the table has a symmetric display of terrain, the decission between having the first turn or choosing where to deploy have not the same tactical value.
Your enemy will probably have a deployment area as good as yours, that is not cool.

So this non-symmetric board would be a very interesting Infinity table:

Look at the red zone, it has a Sniper Tower, more density of terrain, more buildings or your troops to have cover and defend your area.
The blue zone has some big empty spaces there, if their impetuous troops try to advance, they will be easily exposed to your lines of fire.
Choosing between having the first turn or deploying in the red zone are now both good tactical decissions, that is cool.

As an Infinity veteran player, I would recommend to think about these images when making your Infinity board.

Of course you can use anything as terrain, even the Infinity boxes or cereal cardboard boxes, whatever. The looks of the table depend of how much time and how much money are you willing to spend on it.

And if you can stomach Beasts of War this video is useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSFhJnbuUAA&t=62s

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Deviant posted:

Too much low scatter, this makes impetuous short range troops very easy to use and too effective for their points cost.
Not enough tall LOS blockers from rooftops like other buildings or scatter on top of buildings. A full reaction turret or a sniper can control a lot of the board from positions like that green building in the foreground.
No low visibility zones or special terrain types. This is one I'm not great at either, but you want to try to include bits of these to make taking terrain type abilities function at all.
Unbroken deployment zones, making for a very effective back line air drop.
No interesting fire lanes. This one is highly subjective, but I don't see any points where I'd want to bring a fight, or try specifically to avoid one.
My personal complaint but far far less necessary for play is that it looks like a bunch of stuff on a table, instead of being narratively set up to look like a thing: city, compound, factory, whatever.

To be fair, one of the bad habits that the official community is good at instilling in people is too much scatter terrain. (The other big one being "It's not your list, it's you".) Our local group used waaay too much until half way through our campaign the league organizer did a bunch of reading and realized he'd been putting too much on the table.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

This is a really good example, though I'd lower the red sniper tower a bit so it's not quite so overbearing.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Deviant posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, mango.

Basically, I play on, as Baron Snow quite accurately assessed:

Baron Snow posted:

Too much low scatter, this makes impetuous short range troops very easy to use and too effective for their points cost.

Which means cheap dogged jerks like Muttuiah and Kum can be traded up with staggering ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally got around to finishing up my last model before I go trying to figure out how to bulk my PanO range:

Getting back into painting after a lengthy hiatus.

• Locked thread